The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

If William isnt going to marry this girl, it's about time he did the honorable thing and step back and let her meet someone else (not something likely to happen while she is still dating William). They have been together for 6 (?) years. If he does not know his mind regarding marrying her at his point, I really dont know what else he needs to kinow. I hope he is not taking a Page from Charles' life history, where he wont get off the dime and thus loses the 'love of his life' a la 1973. If he does love her, then lets go. He certainly knows her far better than his parents did when they married. I believe Diana had already had Harry by this age. She seems like a nice, appropriate girl who loves him. More than many royal marriages have started with.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Yeah haha good one about the JA thing. But I am not sure about the "most people" liking the press attention.... maybe it's about 50/50 at the most. That kind of attention would make some including myself cringe on a near-constant basis. I think I would develop a permanent tick or something....
It definitely takes a determined girl to handle this particular attention being with William. I mean it's said that Kate was one of his last choices and that many girls turned him down because of the burning spotlight, at the end of the day not many can deal. So far she has proven that she can which is probably what keeps him coming back.

Whatever girl is with him has to like it...in some way...or else they will self-destruct. If not Kate, then the next girl may already have to be famous on her own to be ready.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla
I mean it's said that Kate was one of his last choices and that many girls turned him down because of the burning spotlight....
I have sometimes thought it might be the case with Jecca, that Jecca didn't want the "baggage," if you know what I mean.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmax View Post
I read on MSN News page that Prince William was seen again with Kate Middleton. Rumors are going on and they are saying that an engagement is coming up. Can someone tell me more about this! Thanks
these rumours have been swirling around virtually since these two were officially a couple now. everytime they do something together an engagement is only moments away. unfortunately we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I don't understand how her genuine feelings on the matter are relevant. All she was saying is that given Charles is able to marry his "true love," there is no reason to deny William the same right.
Yes, except she made some statements that I find personally hard to believe unless she's having a joke with us.

Quote:
Most people are supportive and over-joyed that prince Charles finally got to marry who he wanted to spend his life with. Not many people doubt his choice
I cannot say that people's reaction to the wedding and later reaction to Camilla's appearance at Diana memorial make me believe that not many people doubt his choice.

I also cannot say that most people are supportive and over-joyed that prince Charles has finally got to marriy who he wanted.

I do not understand Daisy's purpose of such statements other than sarcasm; they don't support daisy's arguments and I see no use from them other than to display sarcasm.

Members should be able to tell whether other members are playing straight with them or whether what they are reading is merely an attempt at sarcasm.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
It definitely takes a determined girl to handle this particular attention being with William. I mean it's said that Kate was one of his last choices and that many girls turned him down because of the burning spotlight, at the end of the day not many can deal. So far she has proven that she can which is probably what keeps him coming back.

Whatever girl is with him has to like it...in some way...or else they will self-destruct. If not Kate, then the next girl may already have to be famous on her own to be ready.
I agree. And I do respect those that turned him down. They knew they couldn't handle it and they didn't want to go there. (Sort of like being childless by choice.) That shows strength of character.
Hopefully William will find a woman who has that in spades. . . .
Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I agree. And I do respect those that turned him down. They knew they couldn't handle it and they didn't want to go there. (Sort of like being childless by choice.) That shows strength of character.
Hopefully William will find a woman who has that in spades. . . .
I agree with you.I hope so too...
Old 10-25-2007, 01:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I agree. And I do respect those that turned him down. They knew they couldn't handle it and they didn't want to go there. (Sort of like being childless by choice.) That shows strength of character. Hopefully William will find a woman who has that in spades. . . .
We talk about how Kate is handling the media, but has anyone realized that there are other women who married into the royal family, for instance, Sophie, Countess of Wessex. She was as normal as Kate and was butchered by the media --with her comparison with Diana, Princess of Wales. Since, then her marriage seems to be more private and is enjoying her time as a mother and involvement in charities. Moreover, Princess Mary of Denmark, who is the future Queen. Or how about Diana; I have seen Diana say, she enjoys her privacy. So Kate is not the only person in the royal family, who has to be in the public eye all the time. Only when her actions is on the line.

Philip Elmer-Dewitt, in Time Magazine
Old 10-25-2007, 06:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

There is a huge difference between being the wife of Prince Edward and being the wife of Prince William in terms of the importance of the husband for the monarchy
Of course Sophie was butchered first but from a long time perspective it was clear that she would not be in the center of attention forever. She is a clever lady and learned her lessons (own business, fake sheikh etc) and her position and environment allows her to be private.

Kate is a different story and I am not sure if she is as clever as Sophie in terms of learning a lesson.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Yes, except she made some statements that I find personally hard to believe unless she's having a joke with us.
I am merely stating my opinion of what I know of the royal family.
Am I not allowed to do so? I don't believe I have been offensive or sarcastic!
The PoW is happy now and I believe William should be allowed the same considerations when it comes to his own personal happiness.

i don't understand why my statements are under attack??
Old 10-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisygoogles View Post
I am merely stating my opinion of what I know of the royal family.
Well if you truly believe that most people are supportive and over-joyed that prince Charles finally got to marry who he wanted to spend his life with and that not many people doubt his choice, then I wish you were right but I think you might change your opinion if you read the reaction to Charles and Camilla in some of the papers and even some of the other comments in threads on this board.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

Kate is a different story and I am not sure if she is as clever as Sophie in terms of learning a lesson.
How can you tell by what you have seen that Kate is not as clever as Sophie?
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-25-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Well if you truly believe that most people are supportive and over-joyed that prince Charles finally got to marry who he wanted to spend his life with and that not many people doubt his choice, then I wish you were right but I think you might change your opinion if you read the reaction to Charles and Camilla in some of the papers and even some of the other comments in threads on this board.
Well, acceptance of Charles and Camilla is a separate thing from the matter of her attendance of the memorial service. There are people who like Camilla but did not feel it was appropriate for her to attend the memorial service. Some people who like her very much felt that she would take too much abuse as a consequence of attending, and for that reason, such people believed that she should find a reason not to go. Still others who like her felt that she was being ill-used by a courtiers' PR game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Indeed. I might even say that one has to be clever to be a royal girlfriend with any longevity, period. Let alone Prince William's girlfriend. Like many things in life, it's a juggling act, made the more challenging by the glare of the media. You have to go about your business smiling for the cameras (but keeping a tight lip) and not pissing off the Palace. Then you have all these invitations everywhere. Everyone wants a possible future queen at their party, at their nightclub, on their yacht, wearing their brand, driving their car (Audi).
Old 10-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
I was referring to Kate's "relationship" with the media. Sophie learned her lesson very soon after her desasters (keep a low profile if you want to be left alone), very different to Kate (sisterhood project, high profile clubbing but still complaining).
Old 10-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

But Sophie had been married for a while when she blundered with her pr firm, Kate is officially not even Williams girlfriend

Quote:
I was referring to Kate's "relationship" with the media. Sophie learned her lesson very soon after her desasters (keep a low profile if you want to be left alone), very different to Kate (sisterhood project, high profile clubbing but still complaining).
Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
I think the difference is that when the sheik interview was taped, Sophie was already committed in a marriage with Edward whereas Kate and William haven't made any commitments to each other yet.

Its possible that Kate is not 'handling' the media in expectations of being a future Queen but she is just reacting to the pressure like a normal young girl would. Maybe after this episode she will decide that she doesn't want a life of handling the media at which point she and William will break up.

Actually her reactions remind me very much of Lady Jane Wellesley's reactions when Jane was dating Charles. Jane didn't suffer fools gladly either and she in the end decided that marrying Charles wasn't worth it.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Well, acceptance of Charles and Camilla is a separate thing from the matter of her attendance of the memorial service. There are people who like Camilla but did not feel it was appropriate for her to attend the memorial service. Some people who like her very much felt that she would take too much abuse as a consequence of attending, and for that reason, such people believed that she should find a reason not to go. Still others who like her felt that she was being ill-used by a courtiers' PR game.
Well I still find it hard to believe what daisy has said and that is that most people are supportive and over-joyed that prince Charles finally got to marry who he wanted to spend his life with and that not many people doubt his choice.

But daisy truly believes that then I apologize for my assumption that she was being sarcastic.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

You are both right - there is no commitment yet But on the other hand - how long is Kate now with Wills? 4 years? Shouldn't she know better by now? I think she should and she or both do not do themselves any favours with their usual behaviour, appearing as a couple but still no commitment or comment ... Somehow I have the feeling that all this will go on for some time, on / off, on / off until Kate has finally enough and Wills will take the public by surprise by presenting a fresh girl, including commitment. Just my guess.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Nobility

Kate's an amazing woman and very beautiful too. Just as well because I wouldn't go out with William for a million bucks. The amount of press attention is such a turn off for me. It would be a miracle to get a first date.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:37 PM
Royal Highness

perhaps the reason that catherine stays with him is that at this point she knows she can leave any time she wants. much easier to leave without any committment than it is once that wedding band is in place. we still compare them so heavily to the last generation, when clubbing and being seen in public so often just wasn't the practice. this is a new generation and things are done so differently now. it's really not fair to compare.

Tags
kate middleton, prince william