Prince William and Catherine Middleton Current Events 8: November 2009-April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kate looked good but she was smiling all the time which looked painful. maybe she was nervous but good for her.
i think her red skirt was too short too

An interview with Andrew Morton in the German magazine SÜDDEUTSCHE

"Es ist ein Drahtseilakt" - Mode & Accessoires - Süddeutsche Zeitung Magazin

Not sure, if this is the right place for this interview. Andrew Morton answers questions on the relationship of William and Kate, their marriage and the Diana-legacy.

Moderators, please feel free to relocate it, if you believe there is a better place for it.

BTW, sorry, but it is in German. Don't know how to do the translate thing.

It's amazing that he can answer questions about people he doesnt know anything about. LOL I love Diana but that book turned this guy into a one man industry of fake royal connections.

Not the most reliable source, but Katie Nicholl says the opposite. :ermm:

Yes, I agree. From what I understand, William WAS unhappy his first term, but was persuaded by Charles to stick it out and see what happens. I don't think William was told YOU MUST stay put. Charles is not that kind of parent, IMHO.
As for Kate and William, they knew each other that first term, but were they dating??? I think not, there was another girl he was with, forget here name. So I don't think Kate would have had much influence on him.
If I remember correctly he and Kate were just casual friends at that point.
Please clarify if I'm wrong.:flowers:
I enjoyed the Katie Nichol book. It appears she was informed by reliable sources. Very important when writing about the Royal Family.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh - Andrew Morten is quite full of himself. How can presume to judge Kate, William, and their situation as he does. I think he goes way too far.

Last edited by a moderator:
William and Kate were not dating early on however, they did become good friends and it's been widely stated she was the one that encouraged him to stay and change his major. Whether Charles had also encouraged him....I had not heard that before but it's possible.

Katie Nichol may be considered knowledgeable by some, but she has regularly stated things that have been discredited in the past. I see her as nothing more than a walking tabloid myself.

It's unprofessional, in my view, to take the word of an astrologer about the ring being a "bad omen." This man helped to destroy Diana's reputation by taking advantage of her when she was vulnerable and depressed. What woman would actually want her children to know that she threw herself downstairs while pregnant and that their father didn't like his son's sex and haircolour? Andrew Morton made a lot of money, but the ripples from his book are still ongoing. He's a self-publicizing tabloid hack in my view.

Oh my gosh - Andrew Morten is quite full of himself. How can presume to judge Kate, William, and their situation as he does. I think he goes way too far.

I liked the look @ the lifeboat launching because she had her hair up and I really liked the fascinator.
I enjoy the pix posted from bygone days just because fashion fascinates me. I wear suits every day for work and finding a 'different' suit is a challenge - when I saw the one Catherine wore @ St. Andrews, my first thought was wow - that looks just like the belted jewel green w/ black buttons suit I used to wear w/ black turtle neck & tights, so comparisons are natural. I loved the color in the photo of Di's suit - but it isn't a jewel tone like the red Catherine wore and the black buttons are quite a style statement. Catherine's jacket has gentle gathers whereas Di's had squared cutouts. Add the boots and black leather gloves (w/ red lining) and to me they are very different looks.
One thought re: if she changed between Scotland and London - many suits are 3 piece, a skirt, matching sleeveless shell and jacket, perhaps she switched the shell for the turtleneck and the longer black coat for the suit jacket.

Sndral, you are great at helping pick out the details that really say style. You make such good points.

Going back to take a closer look at those pictures!

She wasn't laughing at this event.

And, in terms of style, most young women who need to adopt a particular style (such as that of a princess) do a bit of study. I imagine Kate has studied the PoW's style quite a bit (I want to say, haven't we all?) It's true that Diana wore nearly everything that could be worn by a princess and, like the Queen and Queen Mum, worked hard at matching her style to the occasion.

Kate is learning and doing the same thing. Personally, I like that she doesn't emphasize the "princessy" side of the role too much and look forward with anticipation to seeing what is designed for her to wear at the wedding.
:previous: I think she looked absolutely lovely and I was tickled to find she has a dimple! I come from Christchurch and believe me, the last thing we want is sackcloth and ashes form around the world.

"A merry heart doeth good, like a medicine,
Like a medicine is a merry heart,
A broken spirit drieth the bones,
But a merry heart is the joy of the Lord . . . . . and New Zealand too.

We have wept enough, no doubt we will weep some more but the fact she turned up, smiled gently, chatted and signed the book of condolences means a lot. Oh, and it wasn't too shabby that she dragged the guys along too! :lol:

Hm, well I would think that any of them smiling at the point of signing the condolence book would not be appreciated by those who have close friends or family who died. I don't think she did it out of malice but shows her mind wasn't exactly on the reason she was there which you don't need royal training to grasp.

Wondering why do they all just sign their names? Any condolence book I have signed I found that everyone wrote at least a small comment as well.

Seems the video and photos posted on here leave out some where Harry and William are exchanging some very funny, frustrated looks while Kate chatters in the background with a woman. Too funny!

I find Kate has quite a hard look to her face, not helped by the makeup. It was better to see her hair off her face a bit.

Prince William looks better in the videos than the still photos where he seems so much older, squinting, etc. They still both need a makeover before the wedding I think.

You guys are sooo happy for them you are scaring me a little. By the time the wedding comes around I think this entire site will collapse under the sheer weight of all the posts! ;)

Last edited:
Seems the video and photos posted on here leave out some where Harry and William are exchanging some very funny, frustrated looks while Kate chatters in the background with a woman. Too funny!

What are you talking about? I can't imagine either of them doing something this disrespectful to Kate. Please post a link to the video that shows this.

:previous: I think she looked absolutely lovely and I was tickled to find she has a dimple! I come from Christchurch and believe me, the last thing we want is sackcloth and ashes form around the world.

"A merry heart doeth good, like a medicine,
Like a medicine is a merry heart,
A broken spirit drieth the bones,
But a merry heart is the joy of the Lord . . . . . and New Zealand too.

We have wept enough, no doubt we will weep some more but the fact she turned up, smiled gently, chatted and signed the book of condolences means a lot. Oh, and it wasn't too shabby that she dragged the guys along too! :lol:

(Glad that you are so brave Marg. From the news reports Christchurch is in shambles. Hope that is not the cases.)

Md Middleton does have a wonderful smile with dimples. I noticed them about three years ago. Catherine always smiles. Prince William loves her sense of humor. (I think like his mother's) Dimples run in her family,
Pippa has them too.:flowers:

What are you talking about? I can't imagine either of them doing something this disrespectful to Kate. Please post a link to the video that shows this.

Hi Texankitcat (cute name)I don't know if they were doing it toward her but it was quite funny the way William and Harry framed her and the woman talking. It was actually a still photo that I saw on another forum. Can I just post a link directly within my post? If I can I will find it again.

Here you go Texankitcat! I think it is about 8 or 9 photos down. (and of course for anyone else who wants to see more photos) I think it's funny! :)

http://myroyal-myroyals.b...middleton-visit_3754.html

Thanks for the link, Hissy. I have a few comments of my own:

1. Kate is not smiling or laughing when she is actually signing the book of condolences.

2. The photo Hissy referred to is kind of funny, though not sure the boys were actually exasperated, not saying anyone thought that, just my $.03 (inflation).

Kate is doing a fabulous job. I watched Diana and Charles marry and knew that day things wouldn't last. This relationship is full of love. Charles and Diana never made sense in terms of love.

Here you go Texankitcat! I think it is about 8 or 9 photos down. (and of course for anyone else who wants to see more photos) I think it's funny! :)

Thank you for posting this Hissy! I see the photo you are referencing, but I do not see anything resembling what you have interpreted from it. William is clearly looking downwards with his hands folded and Harry is standing with his hands together not looking at William. Neither look to be impatient or giving looks to each other at Kate's or anyone else's expense. They look to be respectfully solemn befitting the occasion.

In viewing the below video you can clearly see William is speaking with a representative and listening to what he is saying. Harry has just gotten up from signing the book and goes to stand where the photo captured them to listen to the representative.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20110226/video/vuk-young-royals-sign-earthquake-book-of-49bfa63.html

Last edited:
Not the most reliable source, but Katie Nicholl says the opposite. :ermm:

Is Christopher Anderson considered a more reliable source than Nicholl? Or the reverse?

I'm wondering how much I can trust this book.
(One thing I don't like are Anderson's hints and insinuations - he makes a lot of implications about Harry, for instance, but doesn't actually say anything overt. Why not? Is he worried about a potential lawsuit? Still, there is no mistaking his meaning, and I'm wondering how accurate his information is).

Come on you guys, I doubt they were aiming it in any negative way at Kate, but especially Harry's expression is funny. The way she is framed between them looks like they are like husbands waiting outside a dressing room for their wife. It's cute. Every shot of the great and wonderful royals doesn't have to be perfectly posed. That is what makes it interesting. All the other typical photos are a dime a dozen. I think if someone were to show that photo to Prince William, Harry, and Kate, they would probably laugh, and the guys may be a little embarrassed.

Kate smiles as she goes by William and takes the pen, as she sits down, and as he points to wear she should sign. No big deal to me, but she will need to show a bit more restraint in future as these brief, unintentional moments can hurt people she is supposed to be helping. If it were me I think I would be very solemn at this point in the trip knowing what had happened and how many lives were lost. You guys are head over heels, she can do no wrong, over Kate, but certainly not everyone is.

Last edited:
Come on you guys, I doubt they were aiming it in any negative way at Kate, but especially Harry's expression is funny. The way she is framed between them looks like they are like husbands waiting outside a dressing room for their wife. It's cute. Every shot of the great and wonderful royals doesn't have to be perfectly posed. That what makes it interesting. All the other typical photos are a dime a dozen. I think if someone were to show that photo to Prince William, Harry, and Kate, they would probably laugh, and the guys may be a little embarrassed.

Kate smiles as she goes by William and takes the pen, as she sits down, and as he points to wear she should sign. No big deal to me, but she will need to show a bit more restraint in future as these brief, unintentional moments can hurt people she is supposed to be helping. If it were me I think I would be very solemn at this point in the trip knowing what had happened and how many lives were lost. You guys are head over heels, she can do no wrong, over Kate, but certainly not everyone is.

Alright. Obviously I took your comment about the photo literally rather than just a humorous observation of a moment caught in time. My apologies!

I really don't see that Kate did anything inappropriate in any aspect of this visit when you see the entire video rather than single photos. There were smiles exchanged by everyone at certain moments and at appropriate times where politeness warranted it.

My view of Kate in public thus far has nothing to do with Kate never doing wrong. She is bound to make some missteps with the intense media attention on her. However, I am not seeing anything based on viewing the the whole sequence of events from videos rather than scrutinizing photos that capture a second of a much larger space of time and events. In all three appearances thus far she is showing a poise, warmth and confidence that is unexpected and taking everyone by surprise.

There is nothing wrong with giving her the credit she is due.

Last edited:

hahahaha that is funny - even though I'm sure it was an accidental juxtaposition it does make a funny photo. Esp. as the men have such extreme expressions. Well, at least Harry's is extreme which sort of boosts the wattage on Wills. A good chuckle.

Oh I can't translate it, not sure what he said but so curious, anyone able to say?

Hi, I can read it. It is full of old things and he say Prince Philip isn´t present in the last time, because he is 90!! Ok, look at Royal Court and you can see who is more present.:flowers:

It's unprofessional, in my view, to take the word of an astrologer about the ring being a "bad omen." This man helped to destroy Diana's reputation by taking advantage of her when she was vulnerable and depressed. What woman would actually want her children to know that she threw herself downstairs while pregnant and that their father didn't like his son's sex and hair colour? Andrew Morton made a lot of money, but the ripples from his book are still ongoing. He's a self-publicizing tabloid hack in my view.

I agree Mermaid with everything you have voiced on Mr. Andrew Morton. The most terrible thing he did to Diana, Princess of Wales was right after her death. He came out publicly that the book was written from tapes done by princess. I think he betrayed her the most with that. And to this day I wonder why?:sad:

About the smiling

I would imagine that most people, coming face to face with three young and radiant Royals, smile broadly- how can you help it? In turn, the Royals will inevitably smile back. Although the occasion was sad and was in response to a tragic event, the people meeting were responding to each other, not to the nature of the event.

Kate smiles as she goes by William and takes the pen, as she sits down, and as he points to wear she should sign. No big deal to me, but she will need to show a bit more restraint in future as these brief, unintentional moments can hurt people she is supposed to be helping

William is actually smiling at that moment too. So I'm not sure why she is the only one being singled out.

I agree with your post, texankitcat.

Is Christopher Anderson considered a more reliable source than Nicholl? Or the reverse?

I don't know.
I was saying that Nicholl wasn't a very reliable source. :)

Speaking as a New ZEalander, who actually felt the earthquake, albeit a couple of hundred miles away, i see nothing disrespectful at all with Princes William and Harry, and Kate, smiling as they talked to people at the condolence signing; they weren't having an riotous time laughing, just gently smiling. Nothing wrong with that.

and yes, to the person above who hoped Christchurch isn't a shambles, unfortunately it is; with a third of the buildings in the Central business district will have to be torn down (those that haven't already fallen down by themselves). It's really tragic. My brother and his family who live in Christchurch are without water, electricity or working toilets, but at least they are alive.

I agree Mermaid with everything you have voiced on Mr. Andrew Morton. The most terrible thing he did to Diana, Princess of Wales was right after her death. He came out publicly that the book was written from tapes done by princess. I think he betrayed her the most with that. And to this day I wonder why?:sad:

Because she was dead and he wanted to get part of her "inheritance" - thus he wrote the new book "in her own words" and sold them to a lot of people who already had the former version.

Which was a very dubious thing to do as she was not longer alive to tell the old stories from her later point of view.

Speaking as a New ZEalander, who actually felt the earthquake, albeit a couple of hundred miles away, i see nothing disrespectful at all with Princes William and Harry, and Kate, smiling as they talked to people at the condolence signing; they weren't having an riotous time laughing, just gently smiling. Nothing wrong with that.

and yes, to the person above who hoped Christchurch isn't a shambles, unfortunately it is; with a third of the buildings in the Central business district will have to be torn down (those that haven't already fallen down by themselves). It's really tragic. My brother and his family who live in Christchurch are without water, electricity or working toilets, but at least they are alive.

My prayers to all New Zealanders affected by this disaster. Having gone through a 7.1 earthquake myself, I know how frightening and devistating it is. It takes a long time to recover. :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom