The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
I agree Mermaid with everything you have voiced on Mr. Andrew Morton. The most terrible thing he did to Diana, Princess of Wales was right after her death. He came out publicly that the book was written from tapes done by princess. I think he betrayed her the most with that. And to this day I wonder why?
Because she was dead and he wanted to get part of her "inheritance" - thus he wrote the new book "in her own words" and sold them to a lot of people who already had the former version.

Which was a very dubious thing to do as she was not longer alive to tell the old stories from her later point of view.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
Speaking as a New ZEalander, who actually felt the earthquake, albeit a couple of hundred miles away, i see nothing disrespectful at all with Princes William and Harry, and Kate, smiling as they talked to people at the condolence signing; they weren't having an riotous time laughing, just gently smiling. Nothing wrong with that.

and yes, to the person above who hoped Christchurch isn't a shambles, unfortunately it is; with a third of the buildings in the Central business district will have to be torn down (those that haven't already fallen down by themselves). It's really tragic. My brother and his family who live in Christchurch are without water, electricity or working toilets, but at least they are alive.
My prayers to all New Zealanders affected by this disaster. Having gone through a 7.1 earthquake myself, I know how frightening and devistating it is. It takes a long time to recover.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic.

If you wish to discuss the Diana books, please do so here Diana Books

Any and all additional off topic posts that have NOTHING to do with William and Catherine's Current Events will be deleted.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Aristocracy

I think it's a good idea to get Kate acclimated to public life. And I think thus far she's doing a great job.
When Charles and Diana announced their engagement did he take Diana out on official engagements? That is before they married.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya Trubetskoy View Post
I think it's a good idea to get Kate acclimated to public life. And I think thus far she's doing a great job.
When Charles and Diana announced their engagement did he take Diana out on official engagements? That is before they married.
No I don't recall that he did.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Diana, Sophie and Sarah also accompanied their fiance's to a couple of engagements before the official marriage. Sarah, probably had the least exposure due to Andrew's military commitments.

But Diana did at least 2 that I can recall off hand. So Kate is already one up.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Aristocracy

If you read this Telegraph article it mentions Diana doing a few small engagments before the wedding, in particular helping to plant a tree. The article actually tries to compare the two on their first exposure to royal engagements.

Kate Middleton: This was a princess in the making - Telegraph
Old 02-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Diana, Sophie and Sarah also accompanied their fiance's to a couple of engagements before the official marriage. Sarah, probably had the least exposure due to Andrew's military commitments.

But Diana did at least 2 that I can recall off hand. So Kate is already one up.
I guess I didn't see that at the time. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Commoner

Quote:

Diana was seen out and about with Charles quite a lot during their engagement. I can recall at least 6 events from the top of my head, including a State Banquet, tree planting, movie premiere and she also attended Royal Ascot. She was also seen at Charles' polo matches and Wimbledon.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Here:
Quote:
February, 24 : Announcement of the engagement
February, 27 : Visit to Cheltenham

March, 09 : Reception to raise funds for the Royal Opera House
March, 13 : Grand Military Gold Cup

May : Visit to Tetbury
May :Visit to Broadlands
May: Visit to Balmoral

June, 06 : Polo Match
June, 10 : Banquet for the King of Saudi-Arabia
June, 28 : Polo Match

July, 08 : Polo Match
July, 11 : Polo Match
July, 12 : Polo Match
July, 24 : Premiere "For Your Eyes Only"
July, 25 : Polo Match at Tidworth
July, 26 : Polo Match at Smith's Lawn
taken from: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...tml#post750448
Old 02-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Wow, Tnks ! ghost_night554 :) I'm surprise by the number of engagements C & D did. Probably because William is the Heir to the heir and lives in Wales we don't see them that much. All for the better, I guess.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Gotta love US media....new video up at ET, they called it "Royals Night Out" it's actually from the condolence book signing.

CELEB GPS: Royals Night Out, Eddie and LeAnn in Hollywood and More
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Aristocracy

Hi guys. Yeah, Soapstar, I did notice William gave a little smile too when he gave her the pen I think. As I said some smiling is no big deal to me, may be quite another thing to people who lost someone.

Thanks CSW! I think photos like that are charming.

I think if you like these royals, a very mild critic like me shouldn't bother that. I understand the need you guys have to rapidly defend them, but there has been, and will be, much worse said about public figures like them. I can only take so much of page after page of oh my god she is so perfect! I knew she could do it! What a princess! etc. All she did was walk, talk, and smile (That Cheshire Cat grin, Kate's face must be killing her) as another poster said.

I can do that too... Oh my god I'm so sweet and perfect!!!

Come on Texankitcat, Soapstar, you know you thought the photo was adorable and funny... come to the dark side with sweet Hissy!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Well I have to ask what do you want her to do to prove herself? I mean all Diana did in the early years was walk shake hands and smile. It wasn't till the later years when she became confident that she began making speeches spending one on one time with people. For it being her first two engagements Kate looked pretty damn confident. I wasn't around in the Diana years but judging by the pics and small amount of footage I've seen Diana didn't look as sure of herself as Kate did heck even the reporters were shocked and reporters aren't normally the one's who give the royals rave reviews that easily so she must have something in her.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy;1211352
Come on [B
Texankitcat[/B], Soapstar, you know you thought the photo was adorable and funny... come to the dark side with sweet Hissy!
Alright sweet Hissy . I'll grant you that looking at the photo from a more humorous perspective you could easily caption it with something cute and funny....providing it was taken under different circumstances.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
In viewing the below video you can clearly see William is speaking with a representative and listening to what he is saying. Harry has just gotten up from signing the book and goes to stand where the photo captured them to listen to the representative.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20110226/...f-49bfa63.html
Well spotted. It is worth remembering that a photo snapped in a mili-second can give the exact opposite impression to that which it is part of. It was almost like two entirely separate engagements!

However, as a dyed-in-the-wool, one-eyed Cantabrian residing in Christchurch I appreciate that they made the effort. I don't appreciate media trying to put one over me by making them appear shallow and careless when expressing their condolences!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Please note that posts about Kate's work history have been deleted as off topic.

This is a Current Events thread.

Any and all additional posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 03-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Well spotted. It is worth remembering that a photo snapped in a mili-second can give the exact opposite impression to that which it is part of. It was almost like two entirely separate engagements!

However, as a dyed-in-the-wool, one-eyed Cantabrian residing in Christchurch I appreciate that they made the effort. I don't appreciate media trying to put one over me by making them appear shallow and careless when expressing their condolences!
Well said Marg!!

I'm so glad you're okay and able to let us know that. I have a friend at the LOTR MB that hasn't checked in yet and we're obviously hoping and praying that's just because of either communications still being down, being busy w/obviously far more important things or both!! Regardless, we're pretty worried.

The pictures are just heart shattering sad and my Condolences to you and all of our New Zealand Board Members.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
:Come on Texankitcat, Soapstar, you know you thought the photo was adorable and funny... come to the dark side with sweet Hissy!
All right, all right...I give in. Out of context, it is a funny photo.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
It really is lovely to see William and Catherine out and about like this. Not wantint to nit pick, bit if she did change her clothes for the trip to NZ House, was red really the best colour of dress to wear when signing a book of condolence?
She might in fact be exceptionally well advised for what to wear to this event.

Red & Black are the colours of the Canterbury region of NZ (of which Christchurch is the main city.)

Closed Thread

Tags
catherine middleton, kate middleton, prince william