The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:05 AM
Serene Highness

Sndral, you are great at helping pick out the details that really say style. You make such good points.

Going back to take a closer look at those pictures!

Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
She wasn't laughing at this event.

And, in terms of style, most young women who need to adopt a particular style (such as that of a princess) do a bit of study. I imagine Kate has studied the PoW's style quite a bit (I want to say, haven't we all?) It's true that Diana wore nearly everything that could be worn by a princess and, like the Queen and Queen Mum, worked hard at matching her style to the occasion.

Kate is learning and doing the same thing. Personally, I like that she doesn't emphasize the "princessy" side of the role too much and look forward with anticipation to seeing what is designed for her to wear at the wedding.
I think she looked absolutely lovely and I was tickled to find she has a dimple! I come from Christchurch and believe me, the last thing we want is sackcloth and ashes form around the world.

"A merry heart doeth good, like a medicine,
Like a medicine is a merry heart,
A broken spirit drieth the bones,
But a merry heart is the joy of the Lord . . . . . and New Zealand too.

We have wept enough, no doubt we will weep some more but the fact she turned up, smiled gently, chatted and signed the book of condolences means a lot. Oh, and it wasn't too shabby that she dragged the guys along too!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Aristocracy

Hm, well I would think that any of them smiling at the point of signing the condolence book would not be appreciated by those who have close friends or family who died. I don't think she did it out of malice but shows her mind wasn't exactly on the reason she was there which you don't need royal training to grasp.

Wondering why do they all just sign their names? Any condolence book I have signed I found that everyone wrote at least a small comment as well.

Seems the video and photos posted on here leave out some where Harry and William are exchanging some very funny, frustrated looks while Kate chatters in the background with a woman. Too funny!

I find Kate has quite a hard look to her face, not helped by the makeup. It was better to see her hair off her face a bit.

Prince William looks better in the videos than the still photos where he seems so much older, squinting, etc. They still both need a makeover before the wedding I think.

You guys are sooo happy for them you are scaring me a little. By the time the wedding comes around I think this entire site will collapse under the sheer weight of all the posts!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissy View Post
Seems the video and photos posted on here leave out some where Harry and William are exchanging some very funny, frustrated looks while Kate chatters in the background with a woman. Too funny!
What are you talking about? I can't imagine either of them doing something this disrespectful to Kate. Please post a link to the video that shows this.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I think she looked absolutely lovely and I was tickled to find she has a dimple! I come from Christchurch and believe me, the last thing we want is sackcloth and ashes form around the world.

"A merry heart doeth good, like a medicine,
Like a medicine is a merry heart,
A broken spirit drieth the bones,
But a merry heart is the joy of the Lord . . . . . and New Zealand too.

We have wept enough, no doubt we will weep some more but the fact she turned up, smiled gently, chatted and signed the book of condolences means a lot. Oh, and it wasn't too shabby that she dragged the guys along too!
(Glad that you are so brave Marg. From the news reports Christchurch is in shambles. Hope that is not the cases.)

Md Middleton does have a wonderful smile with dimples. I noticed them about three years ago. Catherine always smiles. Prince William loves her sense of humor. (I think like his mother's) Dimples run in her family,
Pippa has them too.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
What are you talking about? I can't imagine either of them doing something this disrespectful to Kate. Please post a link to the video that shows this.
Hi Texankitcat (cute name)I don't know if they were doing it toward her but it was quite funny the way William and Harry framed her and the woman talking. It was actually a still photo that I saw on another forum. Can I just post a link directly within my post? If I can I will find it again.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Aristocracy

Here you go Texankitcat! I think it is about 8 or 9 photos down. (and of course for anyone else who wants to see more photos) I think it's funny!

http://myroyal-myroyals.b...middleton-visit_3754.html
Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Here you go Texankitcat! I think it is about 8 or 9 photos down. (and of course for anyone else who wants to see more photos) I think it's funny!

Thanks for the link, Hissy. I have a few comments of my own:

1. Kate is not smiling or laughing when she is actually signing the book of condolences.

2. The photo Hissy referred to is kind of funny, though not sure the boys were actually exasperated, not saying anyone thought that, just my $.03 (inflation).

Kate is doing a fabulous job. I watched Diana and Charles marry and knew that day things wouldn't last. This relationship is full of love. Charles and Diana never made sense in terms of love.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Thank you for posting this Hissy! I see the photo you are referencing, but I do not see anything resembling what you have interpreted from it. William is clearly looking downwards with his hands folded and Harry is standing with his hands together not looking at William. Neither look to be impatient or giving looks to each other at Kate's or anyone else's expense. They look to be respectfully solemn befitting the occasion.

In viewing the below video you can clearly see William is speaking with a representative and listening to what he is saying. Harry has just gotten up from signing the book and goes to stand where the photo captured them to listen to the representative.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20110226/video/vuk-young-royals-sign-earthquake-book-of-49bfa63.html
Old 02-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Not the most reliable source, but Katie Nicholl says the opposite.

Is Christopher Anderson considered a more reliable source than Nicholl? Or the reverse?

I'm wondering how much I can trust this book.
(One thing I don't like are Anderson's hints and insinuations - he makes a lot of implications about Harry, for instance, but doesn't actually say anything overt. Why not? Is he worried about a potential lawsuit? Still, there is no mistaking his meaning, and I'm wondering how accurate his information is).
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Aristocracy

Come on you guys, I doubt they were aiming it in any negative way at Kate, but especially Harry's expression is funny. The way she is framed between them looks like they are like husbands waiting outside a dressing room for their wife. It's cute. Every shot of the great and wonderful royals doesn't have to be perfectly posed. That is what makes it interesting. All the other typical photos are a dime a dozen. I think if someone were to show that photo to Prince William, Harry, and Kate, they would probably laugh, and the guys may be a little embarrassed.

Kate smiles as she goes by William and takes the pen, as she sits down, and as he points to wear she should sign. No big deal to me, but she will need to show a bit more restraint in future as these brief, unintentional moments can hurt people she is supposed to be helping. If it were me I think I would be very solemn at this point in the trip knowing what had happened and how many lives were lost. You guys are head over heels, she can do no wrong, over Kate, but certainly not everyone is.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Come on you guys, I doubt they were aiming it in any negative way at Kate, but especially Harry's expression is funny. The way she is framed between them looks like they are like husbands waiting outside a dressing room for their wife. It's cute. Every shot of the great and wonderful royals doesn't have to be perfectly posed. That what makes it interesting. All the other typical photos are a dime a dozen. I think if someone were to show that photo to Prince William, Harry, and Kate, they would probably laugh, and the guys may be a little embarrassed.

Kate smiles as she goes by William and takes the pen, as she sits down, and as he points to wear she should sign. No big deal to me, but she will need to show a bit more restraint in future as these brief, unintentional moments can hurt people she is supposed to be helping. If it were me I think I would be very solemn at this point in the trip knowing what had happened and how many lives were lost. You guys are head over heels, she can do no wrong, over Kate, but certainly not everyone is.
Alright. Obviously I took your comment about the photo literally rather than just a humorous observation of a moment caught in time. My apologies!

I really don't see that Kate did anything inappropriate in any aspect of this visit when you see the entire video rather than single photos. There were smiles exchanged by everyone at certain moments and at appropriate times where politeness warranted it.

My view of Kate in public thus far has nothing to do with Kate never doing wrong. She is bound to make some missteps with the intense media attention on her. However, I am not seeing anything based on viewing the the whole sequence of events from videos rather than scrutinizing photos that capture a second of a much larger space of time and events. In all three appearances thus far she is showing a poise, warmth and confidence that is unexpected and taking everyone by surprise.

There is nothing wrong with giving her the credit she is due.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:

hahahaha that is funny - even though I'm sure it was an accidental juxtaposition it does make a funny photo. Esp. as the men have such extreme expressions. Well, at least Harry's is extreme which sort of boosts the wattage on Wills. A good chuckle.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Royal Highness

Oh I can't translate it, not sure what he said but so curious, anyone able to say?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Gentry

Hi, I can read it. It is full of old things and he say Prince Philip isn´t present in the last time, because he is 90!! Ok, look at Royal Court and you can see who is more present.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
It's unprofessional, in my view, to take the word of an astrologer about the ring being a "bad omen." This man helped to destroy Diana's reputation by taking advantage of her when she was vulnerable and depressed. What woman would actually want her children to know that she threw herself downstairs while pregnant and that their father didn't like his son's sex and hair colour? Andrew Morton made a lot of money, but the ripples from his book are still ongoing. He's a self-publicizing tabloid hack in my view.
I agree Mermaid with everything you have voiced on Mr. Andrew Morton. The most terrible thing he did to Diana, Princess of Wales was right after her death. He came out publicly that the book was written from tapes done by princess. I think he betrayed her the most with that. And to this day I wonder why?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Serene Highness

About the smiling

I would imagine that most people, coming face to face with three young and radiant Royals, smile broadly- how can you help it? In turn, the Royals will inevitably smile back. Although the occasion was sad and was in response to a tragic event, the people meeting were responding to each other, not to the nature of the event.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Kate smiles as she goes by William and takes the pen, as she sits down, and as he points to wear she should sign. No big deal to me, but she will need to show a bit more restraint in future as these brief, unintentional moments can hurt people she is supposed to be helping
William is actually smiling at that moment too. So I'm not sure why she is the only one being singled out.

I agree with your post, texankitcat.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Is Christopher Anderson considered a more reliable source than Nicholl? Or the reverse?
I don't know.
I was saying that Nicholl wasn't a very reliable source.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Nobility

Speaking as a New ZEalander, who actually felt the earthquake, albeit a couple of hundred miles away, i see nothing disrespectful at all with Princes William and Harry, and Kate, smiling as they talked to people at the condolence signing; they weren't having an riotous time laughing, just gently smiling. Nothing wrong with that.

and yes, to the person above who hoped Christchurch isn't a shambles, unfortunately it is; with a third of the buildings in the Central business district will have to be torn down (those that haven't already fallen down by themselves). It's really tragic. My brother and his family who live in Christchurch are without water, electricity or working toilets, but at least they are alive.

Closed Thread

Tags
catherine middleton, kate middleton, prince william