The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfish View Post

My point is that it's annoying already to have every outfit she wears compared to a photo of her dead mother-in-law. She's about to become a member of the British Royal Family and therefore is going to spend the rest of her life wearing suits, just like Diana did. The need to drag up photos tying what Catherine wears back to Diana is just sad.
I feel you. I don't remember Diana at all and couldn't tell you a thing she wore other than her wedding dress. So when Kate wears a blue dress and red suit and someone drags out pics of Diana wearing something very slightly similar, I just roll my eyes and laugh. IMO, it's ridiculous. A million people other than Diana have worn a blue dress and a suit, much more recently, and a lot more similar. But, then I remember that I'm reading a British Royal message board with a lot of people who clearly idolized Diana and have come to accept that it will never ever ever end. For fun, I may just start comparing her clothing to Fergie or Sophie. Mix it up.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Given his position leaving the country to live isn't an option until there are four descendents of William over 21 as, until then, he is a Councillor of State and has to reside in the UK.

Currently the CoS are Charles, William, Harry and Andrew.

When Charles becomes King, Beatrice will replace Charles unless William's eldest child is already 21 (meaning that the Queen has to live until at least 107). William will need four descendents over 21 to replace Harry as a CoS within William's own reign or 3 in Charles'.
Great information! I thought there was a reason he wouldn't be able to live outside of the country since he is currently 3rd. I didn't know about the other issues.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Serene Highness

She wasn't laughing at this event.

And, in terms of style, most young women who need to adopt a particular style (such as that of a princess) do a bit of study. I imagine Kate has studied the PoW's style quite a bit (I want to say, haven't we all?) It's true that Diana wore nearly everything that could be worn by a princess and, like the Queen and Queen Mum, worked hard at matching her style to the occasion.

Kate is learning and doing the same thing. Personally, I like that she doesn't emphasize the "princessy" side of the role too much and look forward with anticipation to seeing what is designed for her to wear at the wedding.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Nobility

Originally Posted by lyndell75
Clearly she can't wait to be HRH....
My problem with the appreance was she was laughing during a somber event....

She was not laughing!!! And if you watch the BBC video you'll see Harry smiling much more when talking to a representative of the house of new zealand and william too. They just are polite and as much smiling as their hosts! What do you take them for? Laughing when attending such a function? In no way they did!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
There were a few of us who found the outfits very similar - I know as soon as I saw Kate wearing the outfit I thought of that outfit of Diana's (which happens to be one of my favorites of hers). I don't think anyone meant anything negative by bringing it up.
I never implied that you or anyone else meant anything negative by it, I simply mean that it's pointless, and more than a bit macabre.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
I feel you. I don't remember Diana at all and couldn't tell you a thing she wore other than her wedding dress. So when Kate wears a blue dress and red suit and someone drags out pics of Diana wearing something very slightly similar, I just roll my eyes and laugh. IMO, it's ridiculous. A million people other than Diana have worn a blue dress and a suit, much more recently, and a lot more similar. But, then I remember that I'm reading a British Royal message board with a lot of people who clearly idolized Diana and have come to accept that it will never ever ever end. For fun, I may just start comparing her clothing to Fergie or Sophie. Mix it up.

LOL! Now that's going to extremes!

I guess my point is that Diana was one of the most photographed women in the world and she was a clotheshorse. Anything Catherine wears, I guarantee you can find something similar on Diana at some point in her life as a Princess. The fact is that fashion just isn't that broad - small things change, but there are only so many colors in the rainbow, and there are suits, skirts and blouses, dresses and pants. End of story. Let Catherine be Catherine.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfish View Post
I never implied that you or anyone else meant anything negative by it, I simply mean that it's pointless, and more than a bit macabre.
Only if you're thinking of things in those terms, which I think is odd. Sometimes it's just a similar outfit, nothing deeper than that. Some people just take notice of fashion for fashion's sake. If someone compared it to something Jacqueline Kennedy or Grace Kelly had worn, would that be macabre? I wouldn't think so. It's just an outfit (and a lovely one at that).
Old 02-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Has anyone read Anderson's recent book, William and Kate?
I just started, and it has some interesting information.

(For example, I was not aware that William hated it at St. Andrews and spent almost every weekend away from it. But he was not allowed to transfer out because Charles didn't want to upset the Scottish separatists!)
Old 02-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Courtier

What source does the author use for this information? I find it difficult to believe that Prince Charles had anything to do with William staying at St. Andrews, political or otherwise. William chose to attend St. Andrews of his own will. Since Charles himself was forced to attend schools that he was miserable at when he was younger and based on how differently he has brought up his sons compared to how he was brought up, it just doesn't make sense that he would force William to stay there if he was that unhappy.

From all I have read, William did have a difficult time at first and wanted to leave, but at Kate's encouragement he changed his major and settled right in. He may not have enjoyed living on campus, but that was resolved when he, Kate and a few friends moved into an off campus flat. By all reports he seemed to enjoy his time there since he had relative privacy from the press, loyal friends and a close relationship with Kate.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
(For example, I was not aware that William hated it at St. Andrews and spent almost every weekend away from it. But he was not allowed to transfer out because Charles didn't want to upset the Scottish separatists!)
Not the most reliable source, but Katie Nicholl says the opposite.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Definitely agree - one very small smile when asking William where to sign but overall quite solemn. Even the smile was so quick I'm surprised the photog was able to get it. And on arrival she smiled no more than did William.
I agree. It was a quick smile and she wasn't smiling while signing it. I even noticed that William was also smiling when she sat down.

Students offer rapturous welcome to radiant Kate - Heraldscotland
Old 02-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Royal Highness

http://m.people.com/newsitem.rbml?item=20469201

Kate and William's dorm reunion
Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Gentry

kate looked good but she was smiling all the time which looked painful. maybe she was nervous but good for her.
i think her red skirt was too short too
Old 02-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Courtier

An interview with Andrew Morton in the German magazine SÜDDEUTSCHE

"Es ist ein Drahtseilakt" - Mode & Accessoires - Süddeutsche Zeitung Magazin

Not sure, if this is the right place for this interview. Andrew Morton answers questions on the relationship of William and Kate, their marriage and the Diana-legacy.

Moderators, please feel free to relocate it, if you believe there is a better place for it.

BTW, sorry, but it is in German. Don't know how to do the translate thing.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Aristocracy

It's amazing that he can answer questions about people he doesnt know anything about. LOL I love Diana but that book turned this guy into a one man industry of fake royal connections.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Not the most reliable source, but Katie Nicholl says the opposite.
Yes, I agree. From what I understand, William WAS unhappy his first term, but was persuaded by Charles to stick it out and see what happens. I don't think William was told YOU MUST stay put. Charles is not that kind of parent, IMHO.
As for Kate and William, they knew each other that first term, but were they dating??? I think not, there was another girl he was with, forget here name. So I don't think Kate would have had much influence on him.
If I remember correctly he and Kate were just casual friends at that point.
Please clarify if I'm wrong.
I enjoyed the Katie Nichol book. It appears she was informed by reliable sources. Very important when writing about the Royal Family.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Nobility

Oh my gosh - Andrew Morten is quite full of himself. How can presume to judge Kate, William, and their situation as he does. I think he goes way too far.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Courtier

William and Kate were not dating early on however, they did become good friends and it's been widely stated she was the one that encouraged him to stay and change his major. Whether Charles had also encouraged him....I had not heard that before but it's possible.

Katie Nichol may be considered knowledgeable by some, but she has regularly stated things that have been discredited in the past. I see her as nothing more than a walking tabloid myself.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Majesty

It's unprofessional, in my view, to take the word of an astrologer about the ring being a "bad omen." This man helped to destroy Diana's reputation by taking advantage of her when she was vulnerable and depressed. What woman would actually want her children to know that she threw herself downstairs while pregnant and that their father didn't like his son's sex and haircolour? Andrew Morton made a lot of money, but the ripples from his book are still ongoing. He's a self-publicizing tabloid hack in my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
Oh my gosh - Andrew Morten is quite full of himself. How can presume to judge Kate, William, and their situation as he does. I think he goes way too far.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:44 AM
Courtier

I liked the look @ the lifeboat launching because she had her hair up and I really liked the fascinator.
I enjoy the pix posted from bygone days just because fashion fascinates me. I wear suits every day for work and finding a 'different' suit is a challenge - when I saw the one Catherine wore @ St. Andrews, my first thought was wow - that looks just like the belted jewel green w/ black buttons suit I used to wear w/ black turtle neck & tights, so comparisons are natural. I loved the color in the photo of Di's suit - but it isn't a jewel tone like the red Catherine wore and the black buttons are quite a style statement. Catherine's jacket has gentle gathers whereas Di's had squared cutouts. Add the boots and black leather gloves (w/ red lining) and to me they are very different looks.
One thought re: if she changed between Scotland and London - many suits are 3 piece, a skirt, matching sleeveless shell and jacket, perhaps she switched the shell for the turtleneck and the longer black coat for the suit jacket.

Closed Thread

Tags
catherine middleton, kate middleton, prince william