The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Serene Highness

I think it can be a nice thing to compare KM with the POW, it dosn't have to be something people have to be defensive about. No one is saying she has to be like Diana but where there is similarities I don't see the harm in commenting about them. After all, everything else aside, Diana was an excellent POW, had great style and was a loving mother so if KM shows the same qualities it is something to be celebrated not to panic about.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Ok I said it was a small nit pick but she did in fact smile as she was signing it- whereas Prince Charles and William appeared very somber. Polite smiles yes but in my opinion (and others out there too) she was too smiley for such a sad occasion- as another poster pointed out maybe she was nervous or needs more princess lessons- I'm not knocking her but if we can't point out things or even say our opinion (as long as it's respectful) what's the point?
MRSJ, I see your point. And also agree that as long as people remain respectful, there should be no problem about stating their opinions, regardless of what that might be

It was a serious occasion, but I believe the smile came as a nervous reaction cause the same happens to me and beat myself over it every time it happens. That video really shows us a different prospect, tnks Lady Oona :)

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

I have to say that Catherine looked lovely. She carries herself quite well for not being royal. She has an almost natural regalness about her, she has elegance and class. Im very proud of the way she has been taking to this new life of hers. Seems she has grown into an exceptional young woman and I think she will make a fine princess.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Aristocracy

As princess Caroline of Monaco said “princess is not a title, it is a job”. Kate took a job and she does extremely well. She takes her job very seriously. Job well done Kate!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Good video of them arriving to sign the condolence book(different then the BBC video)

Can I be honest? I felt a tad bit bad for Prince Harry I think this appearance made me realize it'll no longer be William and Harry but William and Kate. Not that Harry has a problem with it cause he already said how much he loves Kate and already considers her his sister but I think I'm the one who's finding it a tad bit weird.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
Lady Oona I was just to the point to do the same thing. In fact video tells more than the photos. She didnt smile she was just asking to william where to sign you are perfectly right but the instant photo shows her smile, when you look at the video it's another story.
Definitely agree - one very small smile when asking William where to sign but overall quite solemn. Even the smile was so quick I'm surprised the photog was able to get it. And on arrival she smiled no more than did William.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554
Can I be honest? I felt a tad bit bad for Prince Harry I think this appearance made me realize it'll no longer be William and Harry but William and Kate. Not that Harry has a problem with it cause he already said how much he loves Kate and already considers her his sister but I think I'm the one who's finding it a tad bit weird.
Yup, the Dynamic Duo just became the Three Musketeers!! It was always William & Harry, now with Kate in the mix it will no longer be just the boys. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I can't help but feel until Harry settles down he may cut a rather lonely figure. I'm guessing once they are married Harry may only join them on the very rare occasion, or just have the odd engagement with William (I know they are joint patrons of a few charities).
Old 02-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Serene Highness

I agree. That's why, unlike some newsmen in this country, I have never found it hard to imagine Harry leaving these shores to marry Chelsey and live in S. Africa with her. William, his wife and children will be the main event in England and so I think, and always have, that Harry will marry Chelsey and live his own life wth her abroad.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Poor Kate! She's brand new to this and I think she's doing a fine job. She wasn't laughing or giggling, it was just a small smile. She will learn how to put on a mask, but there are so many things for her to get used to and it will take time to master all the items on her checklist.

As for Harry, surely it was only a matter of time till he was displaced by the new dynamic now William has a fiance. He is the "spare", and the focus is bound to concentrate on William and Kate as a couple, for that is where the future of the monarchy lies. Harry will continue to be sidelined, but that is part of the natural order of things in the RF.

ETA I agree, Angela. Once William and Kate have a child, Harry will be off the hook and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him married to Chelsy and living in South Africa.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554
Good video of them arriving to sign the condolence book
Watching this video only makes me feel more sure she did smile when taking the pen, and sitting and signing and asking William- agree it was probably nerves. That's my opinion on this so we shall have to agree to disagree but overall I agree she did fine. This was only a small piece.....:)

PS- I will be happy to offer my comfort to Harry should he be lonely! (wink)
Old 02-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela
I agree. That's why, unlike some newsmen in this country, I have never found it hard to imagine Harry leaving these shores to marry Chelsey and live in S. Africa with her. William, his wife and children will be the main event in England and so I think, and always have, that Harry will marry Chelsey and live his own life wth her abroad.
IMO, I think if he were to move, it would be on a part time basis. I don't know...I couldn't see him completely leaving England behind. Once nephews & nieces arrive I could see him sticking to his military career and actually going back to the front line. He could very well marry Chelsey and since the focus will be more on William and Kate than him, they might be alright with living in England most of the time for the sake of his military career. Massively speculative to say the least!!!! LOL
Old 02-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I knew her outfit today reminded me of one Diana wore. Add some black buttons to the POW suit and it could be the same one in orange.

Kate Middleton Pictures - Prince William And Kate Middleton Visit University Of St Andrews - Zimbio

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Seriously, how many ways can a suit be worn? There's a limited number and in her time Diana certainly wore them all.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Gentry

Clearly she can't wait to be HRH....
My problem with the appreance was she was laughing during a somber event....
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfish View Post
Seriously, how many ways can a suit be worn? There's a limited number and in her time Diana certainly wore them all.
OK...what's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndell75 View Post
Should she have been crying instead?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Gentry

I have to say that after finally catching up with the coverage of the last couple of days, I'm really very pleased.

Catherine did a lovely job at all 3 events. I like the little touch of the buttons on her fascinator that referenced Wales, and how friendly and warm she was with the folks she met. Learning the Welsh national anthem was a home run. Way to go!!

It has been nice to watch William and Catherine together. He's clearly taking quite a bit of care with her, and it's wonderful to see them so happy and in tune with one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock221B View Post
OK...what's your point?

Should she have been crying instead?
My point is that it's annoying already to have every outfit she wears compared to a photo of her dead mother-in-law. She's about to become a member of the British Royal Family and therefore is going to spend the rest of her life wearing suits, just like Diana did. The need to drag up photos tying what Catherine wears back to Diana is just sad.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Courtier

There were a few of us who found the outfits very similar - I know as soon as I saw Kate wearing the outfit I thought of that outfit of Diana's (which happens to be one of my favorites of hers). I don't think anyone meant anything negative by bringing it up.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Serene Highness

Interesting spot Catherine is in ... if she smiles, she's not sober enough and "clearly can't wait to be HRH".

If she had not smiled I'm sure she would have been criticized for being gloomy and dour.

I'm sure Prince William has forewarned her about the "can't win situation" she will be entering into.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Royal Highness

She's in the same spot as every other member of the BRF or any royals, celebrities, or famous people- I am sure she understood what she would be giving up and found it worth it to marry her love, but it doesn't mean people can't comment.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndell75 View Post
Where was she laughing?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Given his position leaving the country to live isn't an option until there are four descendents of William over 21 as, until then, he is a Councillor of State and has to reside in the UK.Currently the CoS are Charles, William, Harry and Andrew.

When Charles becomes King, Beatrice will replace Charles unless William's eldest child is already 21 (meaning that the Queen has to live until at least 107). William will need four descendents over 21 to replace Harry as a CoS within William's own reign or 3 in Charles'.

Closed Thread

Tags
catherine middleton, kate middleton, prince william