The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
I have to agree here. I think this Canada trip isn't a wise a idea. Catherine/Kate ought to do official trips in the UK, just like Diana did when she first married.
Thank God, someone who thinks the same as I. Minus the Diana bit.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I definitely think she neds to start her royal life in this way. The life in private and so on will be over for her on the day she marries and so she had better get started. Offical life will and should be an immediate part of their life as a couple. IMO

Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Royal Highness

I think it will be fine to go to Canada this summer. After Ms Middleton experience her wedding to me all the rest will be easier. Can you imagine how many people will be watching her and Prince William that day. To me that is her christening to royal life.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
I have to agree here. I think this Canada trip isn't a wise a idea. Catherine/Kate ought to do official trips in the UK, just like Diana did when she first married. I wonder if the new Princess would like tired and strained after a few days. If she doesn't, hats off to her and she proved the naysayers wrong on her not being up to the job as a royal.
I don't think she "ought" to do anything in regard to which country to visit/tour first.

I agree with your last sentence.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Who says she isn't going to do any events in the UK before she hops off to Canada?

The fact is there is enough time between her wedding and her Canada trip for her to meet and greet the UK. In fact, she will be meeting and greeting the people of the UK for the rest of her married (and one assumes natural) life.

For several years now, a member of the BRF has done the Canada trip around Canada's National Day. Camilla and Charles have already gone within the two to three years, as has Edward and Sohpie. The Queen and Phillip are getting older so they don't do as many overseas trips in a single year as they used to do. And frankly, although I love Andrew and Anne....I don't they would get as much press.

To me it makes perfect sense to strike while the iron is out, and why not let it be Catherine and William, and let's face it (with no disrespect to my Australian friends)...Canada is a lot closer, therefore the trip will be more cost effective, and while they defnitely have a republican contingent...they will most likely be less vocal than the Australian's. William and Catherine have to sell or strengthen the ties of the British Monarchy to Canada.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Nobility

It is going to be a bit of a baptism of fire for both of them - William has not done something like this before either. But that is what is in store for them for the rest of their lives and they have to 'learn' somewhere. Canada is a friendly country, of which his grandmother is Queen, and hopefully officials will help them along. Personally, I am looking forward to it! :-)
Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison20 View Post
It is going to be a bit of a baptism of fire for both of them - William has not done something like this before either. But that is what is in store for them for the rest of their lives and they have to 'learn' somewhere. Canada is a friendly country, of which his grandmother is Queen, and hopefully officials will help them along. Personally, I am looking forward to it! :-)
William did do the brief tour in Australia...and he has done a lot of engagements on his own. I think they both will be fine.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison20 View Post
I agree, Canada is probably the best country for them to start with. It is a (largely) friendly country, and is suitable important to the BRF - important for the first trip together as working royals.

William has alreaddy been to Australia recently, and it will be important for him and Catherine to visit down under soon.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Royal Highness

Not much is known about Catherine but a few things are:
- she may be allergic to horses but she has no problems with long-distance flights. (recall her holidays in the Caribbean and Kenya?)
- she is considered by some as "lazy" but she has stamina when it comes to nightly outings...
- she is described as a friendly, even bubbly personality, thus outgoing but very well mannered: perfect for meeting new people all the time.
- she has never attracted "faux friends" even though she has for years had a VIP-relationship: thus she obviously knows where to limit closeness to foreigners.
- she speaks several languages and has an academic degree while OTOH being popular with former co-workers: thus she has a gift to connect to all kinds of people.
- she is said to like children, dogs and flowers.....
Old 02-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Courtier

she speaks several languages? which ones?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Aristocracy

may i ask what languages she speaks?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Serene Highness

I think it was at least Italian and French?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think Kate speaks really well any foreign language,but I guess she has a good working knowledge of some foreign languages,especially French or Italian
Old 02-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it would be awesome if she chose to learn some Welsh. She will be a princess of Wales, and then hopefully The Princess of Wales, plus she'll be living in Wales while William continues his RAF training, so it wouldn't be a fruitless endeavor.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Aristocracy

I've read numerous stories (though no guarantee there's the slightest truth in them of course ) that both Kate & William were learning Welsh to some degree, at the very least picking it up a bit just by being where they are in Wales. Personally I love the Welsh language, I can only read & speak a little but always keep meaning to improve my Welsh one day.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Immediately after their engagement was announced, William and Catherine were officially invited to visit Canada by Prime Minister Harper (article from November: Harper invites William and Kate to visit Canada). I think it was the first such invitation the couple received and it was nice of them to accept so promptly. So the visit wasn't a random selection, nor is it a slight to anyone either in the UK or in the Commonwealth.
I'm sure all aspects were considered by the BRF before the dates were announced; I should assume they're quite the experts at planning this sort of thing by now.
Plus the visit doesn't begin for at least 2 months after the wedding.
The fact that it coincides with Canada Day is also a plus and very likely deliberate (various members of the royal family have attended Canada's birthday celebrations since the early part of the 20th century; eg. Princes Edward and George visited in 1927)
Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Serene Highness

I know it's the Daily Mail, but the information seems accurate. Apparently, the couple is about to portrayed by actors for the first time in a docudrama:

Prince William and Kate Middleton actors seen for the first time as royal couple | Mail Online

Unfortunately, I do not think either actor resembles the actual couple, and what's worse, their bearing looks more SoCal than British (just my opinion). Certainly that oversized blue sweater and big pointy collar do not correspond to my image of Prince William.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

He does look more like Harry like the Mail says.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I know it's the Daily Mail, but the information seems accurate. Apparently, the couple is about to portrayed by actors for the first time in a docudrama:

Prince William and Kate Middleton actors seen for the first time as royal couple | Mail Online

Unfortunately, I do not think either actor resembles the actual couple, and what's worse, their bearing looks more SoCal than British (just my opinion). Certainly that oversized blue sweater and big pointy collar do not correspond to my image of Prince William.

Looks like a cheezy, cheap, poorly acted, thrown together production. Excuse me....they are filming at a UCLA campus? If they can't even film in Scottland or England, you know it's going to be low budget. Where is A&E when you need them?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I agree, Canada is probably the best country for them to start with. It is a (largely) friendly country, and is suitable important to the BRF - important for the first trip together as working royals.
Another point to add- there is very little tabloid journalism in Canada- certainly nothing compared to England or the US. Catherine's visit will certainly make front page news but not in the over-sensationalized way that occurs in the tabloid media. The other thing is that Canadians are pretty low key and polite about these things. If she wears an ugly dress or makes a mistake, few here would take great offence.

I think that many people will come out to see them and offer sincere welcome. That makes it a great place for Kate's first tour.

Closed Thread

Tags
catherine middleton, kate middleton, prince william