Prince William and Catherine Middleton Current Events 8: November 2009-April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a good idea to get Kate acclimated to public life. And I think thus far she's doing a great job.
When Charles and Diana announced their engagement did he take Diana out on official engagements? That is before they married.

I think it's a good idea to get Kate acclimated to public life. And I think thus far she's doing a great job.
When Charles and Diana announced their engagement did he take Diana out on official engagements? That is before they married.

No I don't recall that he did.

Diana, Sophie and Sarah also accompanied their fiance's to a couple of engagements before the official marriage. Sarah, probably had the least exposure due to Andrew's military commitments.

But Diana did at least 2 that I can recall off hand. So Kate is already one up.

Diana, Sophie and Sarah also accompanied their fiance's to a couple of engagements before the official marriage. Sarah, probably had the least exposure due to Andrew's military commitments.

But Diana did at least 2 that I can recall off hand. So Kate is already one up.

I guess I didn't see that at the time. Thanks! :)

Diana was seen out and about with Charles quite a lot during their engagement. I can recall at least 6 events from the top of my head, including a State Banquet, tree planting, movie premiere and she also attended Royal Ascot. She was also seen at Charles' polo matches and Wimbledon.

Here:
February, 24 : Announcement of the engagement
February, 27 : Visit to Cheltenham

March, 09 : Reception to raise funds for the Royal Opera House
March, 13 : Grand Military Gold Cup

May : Visit to Tetbury
May :Visit to Broadlands
May: Visit to Balmoral

June, 06 : Polo Match
June, 10 : Banquet for the King of Saudi-Arabia
June, 28 : Polo Match

July, 08 : Polo Match
July, 11 : Polo Match
July, 12 : Polo Match
July, 24 : Premiere "For Your Eyes Only"
July, 25 : Polo Match at Tidworth
July, 26 : Polo Match at Smith's Lawn
taken from: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...997-the-complete-list-10524-2.html#post750448

Last edited:
Hi guys. Yeah, Soapstar, I did notice William gave a little smile too when he gave her the pen I think. As I said some smiling is no big deal to me, may be quite another thing to people who lost someone.

Thanks CSW! I think photos like that are charming.

I think if you like these royals, a very mild critic like me shouldn't bother that. I understand the need you guys have to rapidly defend them, but there has been, and will be, much worse said about public figures like them. I can only take so much of page after page of oh my god she is so perfect! I knew she could do it! What a princess! etc. All she did was walk, talk, and smile (That Cheshire Cat grin, Kate's face must be killing her) as another poster said.

I can do that too... Oh my god I'm so sweet and perfect!!! :lol:

Come on Texankitcat, Soapstar, you know you thought the photo was adorable and funny... come to the dark side with sweet Hissy! ;)

Well I have to ask what do you want her to do to prove herself? I mean all Diana did in the early years was walk shake hands and smile. It wasn't till the later years when she became confident that she began making speeches spending one on one time with people. For it being her first two engagements Kate looked pretty damn confident. I wasn't around in the Diana years but judging by the pics and small amount of footage I've seen Diana didn't look as sure of herself as Kate did heck even the reporters were shocked and reporters aren't normally the one's who give the royals rave reviews that easily so she must have something in her.

Hissy;1211352 Come on [B said:
Texankitcat[/B], Soapstar, you know you thought the photo was adorable and funny... come to the dark side with sweet Hissy! ;)

Alright sweet Hissy :lol:. I'll grant you that looking at the photo from a more humorous perspective you could easily caption it with something cute and funny....providing it was taken under different circumstances.

Last edited:
In viewing the below video you can clearly see William is speaking with a representative and listening to what he is saying. Harry has just gotten up from signing the book and goes to stand where the photo captured them to listen to the representative.

[URL]http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20110226/video/vuk-young-royals-sign-earthquake-book-of-49bfa63.html[/URL]
Well spotted. It is worth remembering that a photo snapped in a mili-second can give the exact opposite impression to that which it is part of. It was almost like two entirely separate engagements!

However, as a dyed-in-the-wool, one-eyed Cantabrian residing in Christchurch I appreciate that they made the effort. I don't appreciate media trying to put one over me by making them appear shallow and careless when expressing their condolences!

Please note that posts about Kate's work history have been deleted as off topic.

This is a Current Events thread.

Any and all additional posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Last edited:
Well spotted. It is worth remembering that a photo snapped in a mili-second can give the exact opposite impression to that which it is part of. It was almost like two entirely separate engagements!

However, as a dyed-in-the-wool, one-eyed Cantabrian residing in Christchurch I appreciate that they made the effort. I don't appreciate media trying to put one over me by making them appear shallow and careless when expressing their condolences!

Well said Marg!!

I'm so glad you're okay and able to let us know that. I have a friend at the LOTR MB that hasn't checked in yet and we're obviously hoping and praying that's just because of either communications still being down, being busy w/obviously far more important things or both!! Regardless, we're pretty worried.

The pictures are just heart shattering sad and my Condolences to you and all of our New Zealand Board Members. :sad:

:Come on Texankitcat, Soapstar, you know you thought the photo was adorable and funny... come to the dark side with sweet Hissy! ;)
All right, all right...I give in. Out of context, it is a funny photo. :lol:

Last edited:
It really is lovely to see William and Catherine out and about like this. Not wantint to nit pick, bit if she did change her clothes for the trip to NZ House, was red really the best colour of dress to wear when signing a book of condolence?

She might in fact be exceptionally well advised for what to wear to this event.

Red & Black are the colours of the Canterbury region of NZ (of which Christchurch is the main city.)

She might in fact be exceptionally well advised for what to wear to this event.

Red & Black are the colours of the Canterbury region of NZ (of which Christchurch is the main city.)

I think see is being advise. The day before event another poster said the bird feathers in the hat were symbolic for that region.

BTW I don't think Ms Middleton wears a lot of red. She usually wears muted colors.

Soapstar and Texankicat! You guys are cute! :winkiss:

Hi Ghostnight! Sorry, I did answer you, but I was too much off topic and was deleted. As for the question what do I want Kate to do to prove herself? I think she did fine. I just don't find her as priceless as most here do. Diana was only 19, Kate is 29, so she should be more confident, (and she's been around quite a few years). As I said Kate didn't punch anyone, or have a swearing fit so I think she'll be fine... ;)

I guess I am more sensitive to worrying about offending someone who is already traumatized. So I think anyone in the public eye can try their best to be cautious with smiles, or laughs, in those situations.

Generally I think when she pulls her hair back as she did early on in NZ it made her look fresher. Wearing colors that symbolize the area is a good trick to win over some people. I just like that she wore a more dynamic color, and then covered the red outfit with the black coat for signing condolences. That was thoughtful of the local tragedy, whether she, William, or someone else though of that, smart move.

To Tiggersk8 I really hope you get in contact with your friend to be sure they are alright. And to anyone else touched by the quake, my thoughts, as with everyone else here I'm sure, are with you.... :flowers:

Last edited:
Thank you Hissy.

If that's true about Kate showing up in colours representing the Region Christchurch is in, even if it was advised, it was still a nice touch.

:previous: It's certainly true . . . . . we really do "go red and black"! Originally I think it must have come from the colour of the rugby players when they got off the pitch at Lancaster Park (we don't take prisoners on the rugby field). We really are known as one-eyed Cantabrians and today the whole Country is wearing Red and Black in solidarity, so Kate got a jump on us all! :flowers:

So did mine Hissy seems I went too off topic as well:lol:. I'm sure as she grows into her role she'll get more involved with charities and such but she did really good IMO considering these were her first 3 public engagements. She looked more reassured then at the Thursford concert. Wait Kate had her hair pulled back in NZ? I'm confused I thought she had her hair pulled back at Anglesey unless I'm missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ghostnight, yeah, I may have that wrong, sorry, but whenever it was she had her hair pulled back (though it was windy) she looked brighter and fresher somehow. :)

Tiggersk8, you're welcome! :) Hope you are having luck.

As for the red and black, I actually really love those colors, so I think it's great. Kate usually wears more quiet colors, so I think that made an impact.

hah ya I def agree. I was really surprised when I saw her wearing red but it definitely suited. I'm not used to her wearing such bright colours either.

I think, after seeing recent photos and videos of Kate, that the palace has already taken charge of her wardrobe, hair and make-up. Her hair style has changed - and is much improved. She looks wonderful with it pulled away from her face, like it was in Wales. Also, the clothes have gotten more elegant. Yes, she had her old coat cut off for the Wales event, but I believe that was done by the palace experts. It's been a great change and she obviously is a natural as a princess.

The Queen is going to the Republic of Ireland - a historic event considering the histories of the two countries. William and Catherine won't be going there - but since they have visited Wales, Scotland and England, it would make sense (and make it inclusive) if they visited the fourth part of the United Kingdom - Northern Ireland.

It would make sense to see them in Northern Ireland, but I don't think they should go anytime soon. The Queens visit to ROI is a major event and shouldn't be over-shadowed by the newlyweds.

william and kate are attended to northern ireland before the wedding (end of march they suggest), the queen goes to the republic of ireland in May. So no problem to overshadow the queen very important visit. Not the same part of the country in fact. not the same people because the ROI is a country in its own right not the northern ireland which is part of the united kingdom.

Dont forget Prince William was appointed Colonel of the Irish Guards not long ago! so it makes more and more sense for me.

Nearly four months after their engagement, the Belfast Telegraph understands that a visit from Prince William and his fiancée could be imminent. ..... An NIO spokesman said he could not comment on reports of a Royal visit to the province. .... Meanwhile, local support for an official visit from the couple continues to grow.
Belfast Lord Mayor Pat Convery said he would be delighted to see Kate and William here as part of their pre-wedding tour.
“I would welcome the couple on behalf of the citizens of Belfast and pass on good wishes to them for their wedding and future together,” he said.
Alliance MP Naomi Long said a Royal visit would be a “real boost” for Northern Ireland.
Ulster Unionist leader Tom |Elliott said he hoped the Royal pair would take time out during their official trip to visit Co Fermanagh.
“I think they’d enjoy a boat trip out on Lough Erne,” he said.

Read more: Prince William and Kate Middleton could make a trip to Northern Ireland soon - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk#

In any case, my friend and former colleague Jeanette, living in Northern Ireland, could then see (perhaps) from very near, these Royal visitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom