The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Carmen, I don't believe William has a twitter account. He might go on facebook, but I imagine those type of accounts are kept very private.

Skippy, thanks for the official consent documents.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I don't find it either odd or sick. It is art. Art is subjective. I think it is rather nice and Kate looks very pretty...at least it isn't a photo.

I found it odd that he would paint her dressed in that fashion and with a Navel piercing..but i thought the photo last week with both William and Kate punked out was odd too... I agree she looks pretty.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I will see if I can find any of Diana doing the same when she first visited Canada.
After asking myself the same question, I pulled out a book of Charles and Diana's visit to Canada in 1983 (Diana's first) and was surprised to discover that the tiaras came out 5 times:

Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara with cream gown in Ottawa
Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara with yellow gown
Spencer tiara with aqua gown in St. John, NB
Spencer Tiara with red gown in Edmonton
Cambridge Lover's Knot tiara with a bright pink dress in Ottawa. I have pictures of this in a book but cannot find any online. The same dress was worn in Australia (but with the Spencer tiara) also in 1983

If there are any state dinners during Kate and William's upcoming visit (which is very likely, as they are visiting the national capital), I think we can expect to see a tiara or two as well!
Old 02-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Royal Highness

Just can from the grocery store. At check out one magazine had the Queen abdicating for Prince William if he marries and two other magazines portray the Duchess of Cornwall as a horror to Catherine.

Has anyone else seen these magazines?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Just can from the grocery store. At check out one magazine had the Queen abdicating from Prince William if he marries and two othermagazines portray the Duchess of Cornwall has a horror to Catherine.

Seriously, wow and I thought the DM was OTT.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Just can from the grocery store. At check out one magazine had the Queen abdicating for Prince William if he marries and two other magazines portray the Duchess of Cornwall as a horror to Catherine.

Hmmm... must have missed those. Was scanning the one stating "Elvis to sing at Royal Wedding"
Old 02-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Hmmm... must have missed those. Was scanning the one stating "Elvis to sing at Royal Wedding"
Well Elvis isn't dead, you know that right?
And we do have Danish baby Elvis too.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Serene Highness

I know nothing about Prince William and Facebook, but the Court Circular has a great Facebook page.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Which just shows what the magazines know - the Queen has no control over who succeeds her and so if she abdicated it would be in the full knowledge that Charles would succeed her.

The stories about Camilla were in one of our women's magazines last year or the year before - about Camilla fearing Kate would become Queen and that she wouldn't and that Camilla was advising William against marrying Kate etc etc
Old 02-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Which just shows what the magazines know - the Queen has no control over who succeeds her and so if she abdicated it would be in the full knowledge that Charles would succeed her.

The stories about Camilla were in one of our women's magazines last year or the year before - about Camilla fearing Kate would become Queen and that she wouldn't and that Camilla was advising William against marrying Kate etc etc
And yet how many times in other magazines etc have we read that Camilla is a great supporter of Kate & welcomes her in & advises more than any other RF member etc etc. I even remember reading something a few years back that Camilla was actively looking to encourage William & Kate to get married asap so that they could step up & take the "mantle" of the main RF couple so she could put her feet up & relax & not have to do so many engagements as she disliked doing them or something, lol. Hee...gotta love the tabloid press & their inconsistencies!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Commoner

Quote:

Today I saw a portuguese magazine saying the wedding was rushed because Charles has Alzheimer and hence William would become king. The frontpage headline read: "Kate Middleton: Disease Makes her Queen".
Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Agnes View Post
Today I saw a portuguese magazine saying the wedding was rushed because Charles has Alzheimer and hence William would become king. The frontpage headline read: "Kate Middleton: Disease Makes her Queen".

Poor Charles- he's in his early sixties and the press has him with one foot in the grave already! He's such a health fanatic that he'll probably live another twenty years. At least!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Commoner

Actually, Mirabel, I think they meant him to be senile and not really dead. Though considering Alzheimer (my grandma has it) I wouldn't know what I would prefer. Even if Charles had it, he would still be king, only William would act as regent. But I don't think accuracy was this magazine's editor main concern. Probably a slow news week and a desperate need to put Kate Middleton on the front cover.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic. The actual current events of William and Catherine.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Majesty

Rushed?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Agnes View Post
Today I saw a portuguese magazine saying the wedding was rushed
Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I seem to remember a picture of Sarah wearing her tiara when she came to London. She was in a Red/White evening dress. Does anyone else remember that?

I will see if I can find any of Diana doing the same when she first visited Canada.
Diana, Sarah and Sophie have all worn tiaras during their respective visits to Canada for either the State Dinner hosted by the Govt of Canada or a Banquet hosted by the Province they were visiting. The picture you're thinking of Zonk was from Sarah and Andrew's first visit to Canada IIRC.

One of my favourite pictures of Diana wearing the Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara is from the State Dinner in Ottawa during the 83 Visit. She's wearing that white dress w/the "folds" on the bodice front and small lace on the neckline border.

So the likehood of seeing Kate in a Tiara in June/July here in Canada is pretty good IMO.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i find it amazing that people ask "who's going to pay for it...the tax payer?" of course the tax payer is going to pay for it. the tax payer pays for EVERYTHING, where else does the money come from? it is an official visit so why should william and catherine pay for it? they were invited here by the prime minister so of course canada should pay for it. would people rather that we invite them and then tell them "oh by the way...you'll have to foot the bill for this". inspite of the fact that there are many people that don't see a point to the monarchy, HM feels enormous affection for this country and is trying to show that by both visiting here herself and having the future monarch visit as well.
Hm! I think this is directed at me since I asked who is paying for the trip; however, I did not say "the taxpayer". That was in a reply to me. I wanted to know if it was official and what about security (my vote is for the Mounties in full uniform to be there every minute... not because I want to see them but to protect Prince William & Kate... really.... ).

It will irk many people who are unimpressed with royalty that is just common sense. It's not like Canada took a vote about whether to invite them, or not. Harper relays the invite but where it actually comes from I am not sure.

I obviously (since I am on this board) enjoy royalty but not everybody shares this or sees the value of a royal visit. We don't know for certain if Prince William will be the future monarch yet as he is behind his father in the line of succession. History teaches us many things happen to change that.

If Prince William though wants to really cut down on things because of the economy, I haven't seen it yet.

It would be interesting to see Prince William as the Stampede Parade marshall! I'm sure at least he will be "white hatted" and possibly be given a native name as his father was.

I saw the Queen and Prince Philip in person in Canada and am very happy that I did . Perhaps there will be some royalty converts in the crowds who see Prince William. Seeing them in person rather than just in the press is quite refreshing.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Nobility

Wiliam, Kate may create a generation of monarchists, writes Rebecca Lindell.

Read more: Newlyweds' royal visit triggers memories
Newlyweds' royal visit triggers memories

Niagara falls calls Will & Kate?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Interesting blog by Judy Wade. Since she has an experience traveling and writing about the BRF...I don't think she is being snippy, or saying that Kate isn't up for the job. Just another example that being "on" all the time, isn't an easy task.

----------------------------

I wonder if Kate, sorry Catherine, Middleton has the faintest idea how tough her first royal tour will be.

When newlywed William and his wife fly off to Canada at the end of June, the new Princess will have experienced only a handful of official royal engagements here at home. To date she has done one evening job in Norfolk just before Christmas and has two more lined up this week in remote Anglesey and St.Andrews.

Canada, here she comes... - Wedding fever

Old 02-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Interesting blog by Judy Wade. Since she has an experience traveling and writing about the BRF...I don't think she is being snippy, or saying that Kate isn't up for the job. Just another example that being "on" all the time, isn't an easy task.

----------------------------

I wonder if Kate, sorry Catherine, Middleton has the faintest idea how tough her first royal tour will be.

When newlywed William and his wife fly off to Canada at the end of June, the new Princess will have experienced only a handful of official royal engagements here at home. To date she has done one evening job in Norfolk just before Christmas and has two more lined up this week in remote Anglesey and St.Andrews.

Canada, here she comes... - Wedding fever
I have to agree here. I think this Canada trip isn't a wise a idea. Catherine/Kate ought to do official trips in the UK, just like Diana did when she first married. I wonder if the new Princess would like tired and strained after a few days. If she doesn't, hats off to her and she proved the naysayers wrong on her not being up to the job as a royal.

Closed Thread

Tags
catherine middleton, kate middleton, prince william