The Prince of Wales Current Events 11: November 2009-March 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics 11.12.2009

Prince Charles attending investitures at Buckingham Palace,
London, 11 December 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I read on another forum that the story about the prince borrowing the money is incorrect, so I looked on the Prince of Wales website, and it says the story about him borrowing the money is incorrect.:flowers:

The Prince of Wales at the Islamic Relief 25th anniversary Gala
Dinner in the Grosvenor House Hotel in London, December 17,

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga **

Prince Charles accused of meddling with letters to ministers - Times Online

A Cabinet minister was lobbied by aides of the Prince of Wales over the design of eco-towns within hours of being appointed, it has emerged.

When he becomes King isn't he supposed to advise and warn the Government of the day? I know he is not the monarch yet, but I don't see why there should be a problem. As a Privy Counsellor as well, doesn't he have a right to talk to members of one of it's (technical) subcommittees?

When he becomes King isn't he supposed to advise and warn the Government of the day? I know he is not the monarch yet, but I don't see why there should be a problem. As a Privy Counsellor as well, doesn't he have a right to talk to members of one of it's (technical) subcommittees?

ALL citizens have the right to write to, or otherwise contact, a MP but some would like to suggest that the Prince of Wales is doing something illegal when he is doing something totally within the rights of any citizen.

:previous: There is a piece in the Telegraph today saying the same thing, adding as a member of the privy council it is part of the job!

Why we must listen to Prince Charles - Telegraph

Prince Charles's track record for prescience is good, he has valuable things to say and he is often more in tune with the public than ministers are.

Excerpts:

What a to-do there has been about the Prince of Wales's letters. According to reports in a Left-wing newspaper this week, he has been meddling in Government policy, expressing strong opinions on subjects from culture to pensions. Defra, the Department for International Development, the Foreign Office and the Treasury are among the honoured recipients of his missives. And frankly I am aghast. There were eight letters in all. My reaction is: what? Only eight?

His views have been formed by a lifetime spent travelling the world, founding charities, consulting with the most eminent men and women in their fields, and meeting ordinary people. It's a range of experience far beyond that of any politician – and his opinions, so often derided when first made public, have a habit of turning into received wisdom with time. In this lies the Prince's value. He has done things. Sometimes his experience lies in areas that are poorly represented in politics. The House of Commons has become a largely urban institution, whose failure to understand the countryside has been particularly manifest under Labour. It would be surprising, however, if the Prince of Wales did not know about the countryside because he owns quite a bit of it.

Listening to Radio 4's PM programme in the car on Thursday afternoon, I nearly drove into a milk lorry when Lord Haskins chirped up, criticising the Prince's access to ministers. The millionaire former chairman of the agribusiness Northern Foods, Haskins has access aplenty. He was made a peer; he writes Government reports. Don't tell me that chief executives of multinational companies can't speak to ministers when they want to. It would be rum if they couldn't.

The Prince of Wales deserves the same privilege. Which is healthier: the Prince, as privy councillor, getting out his fountain pen, or a billionaire lushing up Peter Mandelson on a yacht? I know which I'd choose.

Why we must listen to Prince Charles - Telegraph

Prince Charles's track record for prescience is good, he has valuable things to say and he is often more in tune with the public than ministers are.

Excerpts:

What a to-do there has been about the Prince of Wales's letters. According to reports in a Left-wing newspaper this week, he has been meddling in Government policy, expressing strong opinions on subjects from culture to pensions. Defra, the Department for International Development, the Foreign Office and the Treasury are among the honoured recipients of his missives. And frankly I am aghast. There were eight letters in all. My reaction is: what? Only eight?

His views have been formed by a lifetime spent travelling the world, founding charities, consulting with the most eminent men and women in their fields, and meeting ordinary people. It's a range of experience far beyond that of any politician – and his opinions, so often derided when first made public, have a habit of turning into received wisdom with time. In this lies the Prince's value. He has done things. Sometimes his experience lies in areas that are poorly represented in politics. The House of Commons has become a largely urban institution, whose failure to understand the countryside has been particularly manifest under Labour. It would be surprising, however, if the Prince of Wales did not know about the countryside because he owns quite a bit of it.

Listening to Radio 4's PM programme in the car on Thursday afternoon, I nearly drove into a milk lorry when Lord Haskins chirped up, criticising the Prince's access to ministers. The millionaire former chairman of the agribusiness Northern Foods, Haskins has access aplenty. He was made a peer; he writes Government reports. Don't tell me that chief executives of multinational companies can't speak to ministers when they want to. It would be rum if they couldn't.

The Prince of Wales deserves the same privilege. Which is healthier: the Prince, as privy councillor, getting out his fountain pen, or a billionaire lushing up Peter Mandelson on a yacht? I know which I'd choose.

Isn't great to read a positive article about the Prince of Wales for a change.

Prince Charles presents campaign medals to soldiers from the Black
Watch on January 20, 2010 in Fort George, Scotland. The regiment
lost five soldiers during the seven month tour of Afghanistan.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages **

Prince Charles looks wonderful in that hat. :)
RestInPeace to those 7 men.

The Prince of Wales presents campaign medals to the 2nd Battalion,
The Mercian Regiment for service in Afghanistan outside Sandringham
House on the Royal Estate in Norfolk, January 24, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

Prince of Wales shows the way to lead wool back into the fashion fold - Times Online

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the sweater along comes a man with a plan, in doublebreasted wool.

The Prince of Wales is attempting to rebrand a material favoured by the nation’s grandmothers — and Val Doonican — as a fashionable and eco-friendly fabric that consumers will choose for clothes and home furnishings. The scheme, to be launched tomorrow, aims to help sheep farmers by boosting the price of wool worldwide. In Britain the average price for a kilogram in 1997 was 93p. Last year it fell to 66p.

The Prince of Wales during at visit to Wimpole Hall Farm in Arrington,
Cambridgeshire, during his visit Prince Charles launched The Wool
Project, an initiative to expand the market for British and Common-
wealth wool, January 26, 2010

Prince of Wales cancels skiing holiday 'on the advice of Gordon Brown' - Telegraph

The Prince of Wales has cancelled his traditional skiing holiday to the Swiss Alps on the advice of Gordon Brown, it has been reported.

I doubt very much that the prince's decision not to go skiing this year has anything to do with Mr. Brown. It's just the Tory Telegraph having a go at him via anonymous 'sources'. Besides which if it was so why hasn't Brown laid down the law over Prince Harry's frequent expensive holidays in sunny Mauritius and South Africa - much more likely to cause annoyance amongst the British public than holidaying in freezing Switzerland! Prince Charles hasn't been to Klosters since about 2007 and then he went on his own & I don't think Camilla has ever been. If you don't ski (and Camilla doesn't) & you're not interested in the apres-ski partying then a skiing holiday is rather boring! As a couple they obviously seem to prefer spending January in Scotland.

Perhaps he simply doesn't feel like going skiing this year and the Telegraph is just trying to make a big deal out of it.

Today, Prince Charles met with the President of Afghanistan Hamid
Karzai again (yesterday there was a reception - see the family's
current events thread):

Prince Charles greets Hamid Karzai at Clarence House, London
Thursday Jan. 28, 2010. World leaders meeting in London on
Thursday agreed on a timetable for the handover of security
duties in Afghan provinces starting in late 2010 or early 2011.

-------> Pic

And Charles met with pupils at Surrey Square Junior School in London,
Thursday, Jan. 28, 2010, as he led a group of business leaders on
a Seeing is Believing visit as President of Business in the Community.

As a reminder: "Seeing is Believing" is a program, in which business
leaders are invited to visit different parts of the country and spend
time in inner city schools, homeless hostels, prisons, or tough housing
estates to see where the problems are and what can be done against
them.

Do you think his brother could help promote this? That is his job. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
The Prince of Wales dressed in his military combats, rides in a Springer
vehicle during a visit to Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire, where, as Colonel-in
-Chief, he met soldiers from the 1st Battalion, the Mercian Regiment
and the Royal Dragoon Guards, February 1st, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

I'm curious as to what that contraption is in Pic 3. :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom