Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 7: October-November 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elspeth

Former Moderator
City
Country
United States
Welcome to Part 4 of the Charles and Camilla Current Events thread. This thread is for reports of news and up-to-date photos and for discussion of the news items. Please keep this thread on topic and use other threads for in-depth discussions of items other than current news. Don't make me have to start splitting and merging threads; it's a severe pain in the fundament.

The old thread is here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7432

tour

Has there been any date set for their visit to the U.S.?

seto said:
Has there been any date set for their visit to the U.S.?
It just said that in the early of November, i think maybe on 2nd of November as they will have Lunch and Dinner with President Bush on 2nd November at White House too.

Princejonnhy25 said:
It looks like their are other motives in the upcoming state visit. The Labour party is full of republicans yet they sure no how to use the royal family to their advantage.
Machiavelli should be proud!:)

interview

I just read that charles won't discuss diana in the interview next month.

seto said:

That is not a surprise.

seto said:

tiaraprin said:
That is not a surprise.

I don't believe it but if its true, he's smart. Everybody has already made up their mind about Charles and Diana. There is nothing he can say to change anyone's opinion. In that case, its best to keep his mouth shut about it and move on with his life in the present.

Ysbel...I totally agree. In regards to Diana...Charles will never win (not that this is a contest). As much I miss Diana....he has moved on with his life and we need to accept it. Talking about Diana will bring on comparisons with Camilla and that's not a fair contest.

I dont completely believe it right now because there seems to be a lot of confusion on the interview. First, I read from a royal leak that the interview had already been taped and a number of things were discussed including Diana. He has no reason really to talk about Diana. Maybe about her charity work or something.

I can't wait for them to come here. It will be great to see them, and I think that our press won't be hostile to them as some of the English press has been. We should see some terrific footage and pictures. A lot of people here loved Diana, but it was easier for us to move on, because we didn't have the relentless tabloid press here fanning the flames. I like Charles and Camilla together, and I wish them joy and happiness. They seem genuinely happy to be with each other.

Mippy O said:
A lot of people here loved Diana, but it was easier for us to move on, because we didn't have the relentless tabloid press here fanning the flames.

Well it was a lot easier for us to move on because it's not our Royal Family. American's interest in royalty is more of a novelty factor. Because we don't have a royal family ourselves - we don't have any skin in the game - we can afford to forgive and forget.

ysbel said:
Well it was a lot easier for us to move on because it's not our Royal Family. American's interest in royalty is more of a novelty factor. Because we don't have a royal family ourselves - we don't have any skin in the game - we can afford to forgive and forget.

ysbel,
I'm glad to here a voice of reason from "your side of the pond". Some of our American members really get their smalls in a knot over any positive press or comments about Camilla! :eek: As a British born Australian I take great pride in our Royal family but I can accept that they are all human. Diana had a great following here also but we accept the present. When Prince Charles came here earlier in the year, just after the engagement was announced, he was given several "Bucks Parties" and many good wishes. We accept that everyone makes mistakes and we don't expect perfection from anyone.

Ysbel...as someone from the other side of the pond who loved Diana..recognizing that you are entitled to your opinion..also not trying to hijack a Camilla thread with another discussion of Diana...here are my two cents and please bear in mind that I speak for me...no one else.

I am ambivalent about Camilla..at one time couldn't stand her...and based upon what I have heard about her...maybe if the circusmtances were different...could possibly like her. I recognize that she and Charles love each other and have a right to be happy finally. I also acknowledge that Diana wasn't perfect and could be manipulative, and cheated on her husband as well. So what bothers me about the situation? Its like the attempt by some to white wash Diana out of history. Like she was simply a means to the end (i.e. producing the children). That she was crazy and she brought about all of problems ALL BY HERSELF. Say what you want..and again..we don't know all the facts but its becoming clear that she was chosen because it was assumed she would be a quiet little mouse. And I find that quite disguisting. Please note, however, I don't assign all the blame to Camilla (it takes two to cheat). It was so obvious that he loved her when they first dated..but didn't know if she could pass the test. Hey! Stand up for yourself. If you love someone you fight for it. She also didn't know if she wanted to be Queen. Hey same thing back at you! FIGHT FOR IT! I respect his later stand that Camilla's role in his life was "non-negotiable" I just wished he had taken that stance years ago.

The Past is in the Past and the most people would be disgusted with the inside workings of the Royal Family. But, hopefully things are changing with the times. Prince Charles comes next week so I guess in two weeks it might air.

Right On!!

Zonk1189 said:
Ysbel...as someone from the other side of the pond who loved Diana..recognizing that you are entitled to your opinion..also not trying to hijack a Camilla thread with another discussion of Diana...here are my two cents and please bear in mind that I speak for me...no one else.

I am ambivalent about Camilla..at one time couldn't stand her...and based upon what I have heard about her...maybe if the circusmtances were different...could possibly like her. I recognize that she and Charles love each other and have a right to be happy finally. I also acknowledge that Diana wasn't perfect and could be manipulative, and cheated on her husband as well. So what bothers me about the situation? Its like the attempt by some to white wash Diana out of history. Like she was simply a means to the end (i.e. producing the children). That she was crazy and she brought about all of problems ALL BY HERSELF. Say what you want..and again..we don't know all the facts but its becoming clear that she was chosen because it was assumed she would be a quiet little mouse. And I find that quite disguisting. Please note, however, I don't assign all the blame to Camilla (it takes two to cheat). It was so obvious that he loved her when they first dated..but didn't know if she could pass the test. Hey! Stand up for yourself. If you love someone you fight for it. She also didn't know if she wanted to be Queen. Hey same thing back at you! FIGHT FOR IT! I respect his later stand that Camilla's role in his life was "non-negotiable" I just wished he had taken that stance years ago.

VERY WELL SAID!

Re:

Why does every single topic have to return to 'I like Diana/I hate Camilla' - if you don't like Charles and Camilla then why post in their forum? Those of us who don't like Diana don't post in the Diana forum and endlessly take all enjoyment out of every thread do we?

I'd like to look at Charles and Camilla Current Events Part 4 and see what Their Royal Highness's have been upto, what Camilla's been wearing, what Charles has been doing and how well Camilla is doing - what is becoming really tiresome is the monotonous, "Camilla is Evil" - "Charles is a Monster" - etc.etc.

I failed to see the Letters Patent that appointed a group of individuals to fight Diana Spencer's battles but if someone can show it to me, I'll gladly shut-up!

HELP! :confused:

Last edited:
Thank you for the reminder, Beatrixfan. Can we please get this thread back on topic?

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

A ROYAL BANQUET DEBUT
x.gif

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13452576,00.html

Re:

They're a little slow with that story! We've been speculating since the visit was announced!

That is one of my favorite pics of Camilla in that article. The pearls and flowers really complement her. They are a bit slow and we only have four days till the banquet.

That was a great picture; the flowers were lovely, and it's nice to see Camilla looking relaxed and happy. She seems to be enjoying herself and doing her job very well. Her clothes always look nice and age appropriate. And it's lovely to see that Charles and she are happy together. I hope that we see lots of pictures during their visit here. Camilla always seems to be sympathique and cheerful, two qualities which seem indispensible to royals. She's certainly cheered Charles up! He's not so glum and irritable these days.

I wonder why Haakon and Mette-Marit went to the wedding. Few outside their close circle went. Are the couples friends? Its hard to imagine with the age difference.

ysbel said:
I wonder why Haakon and Mette-Marit went to the wedding. Few outside their close circle went. Are the couples friends? Its hard to imagine with the age difference.

The NRF and the BRF have always been close since Princess Maude, the daughter of King EdwardVII, became Queen of Norway in 1905.

Perhaps the King and Queen of Norway could not attend and the young royals were sent as family reps. l

caroline mathilda said:
The NRF and the BRF have always been close since Princess Maude, the daughter of King EdwardVII, became Queen of Norway in 1905.

Perhaps the King and Queen of Norway could not attend and the young royals were sent as family reps. l
Maybe. And yes the NRF and the BRF have always been close. King Haakon VII was uncle Charles for the BRF and he is one of Prince Charles godparents. King Olav V was a very good friend with his cousins wife The Queen Mother. Queen Sonja and Queen Elizabeth II is said to be very close and The Crown Prince and Princess is friends with the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

caroline mathilda said:

The invitations to Charles and Camilla's wedding were to specific individuals not to the royal house. So Haakon and Mette-Marit were specifically invited not the King and Queen. Other invitations also went out to specific royals. Haakon and Mette-Marit not so long ago spent a year living in London so maybe they got to know Charles quite well during that time. Dutch prince Constantijn and princess Laurentien were also specifically invited and they too lived in London for quite a while.

King Olav was quite close to the British royals, he spent part of his childhood playing with his British royal cousins. ( Olav was born in Britain) He was good friends with the Queen Mother. I don't think that Harald and Sonja are particularly close to the current BRF.

Our Chicago Tribune had an article today mentioning the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalger and also mentioned the state visit by the Norwegian Royal Family this coming. It also mentioned this would be the first time Camilla will be wearing a tiara.

I know it sounds like not a big deal, but it helps to solidify again her being a part of the Royal Family.

Charlotte1 said:
The invitations to Charles and Camilla's wedding were to specific individuals not to the royal house. So Haakon and Mette-Marit were specifically invited not the King and Queen. Other invitations also went out to specific royals. Haakon and Mette-Marit not so long ago spent a year living in London so maybe they got to know Charles quite well during that time. Dutch prince Constantijn and princess Laurentien were also specifically invited and they too lived in London for quite a while.

King Olav was quite close to the British royals, he spent part of his childhood playing with his British royal cousins. ( Olav was born in Britain) He was good friends with the Queen Mother. I don't think that Harald and Sonja are particularly close to the current BRF.

Thanks for the info. That's what I was getting at. Charles and Camilla tended to invite personal friends to their wedding which is why I was surprised they invited Haakon and Mette-Marit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom