Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 7: October-November 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlotte1 said:
I don't think that Harald and Sonja are particularly close to the current BRF.

Actually, Her Majesty The Queen and Queen Sonja are quite good friends and speak on the telephone often.

tiaraprin said:
Actually, Her Majesty The Queen and Queen Sonja are quite good friends and speak on the telephone often.
Yes, I was surprised no one had anything to say about that comment until now.
It has been discussed in another thread that EIIR and Queen Sonja enjoy a very close relationship.

Which Royals are good friends, page 4, post #27 (& others)
www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2499&page=4&pp=20

tiaraprin said:

I would question this. What exactly is your source for this information? If it's the book by Tim Graham that's not a reliable source as he's a royal photographer not someone with inside knowledge. It would be hard for QE2 to have any strong friendships amongst the European royals as she rarely sees them, QE2 doesn't attend any funerals ( except Badouin's) weddings, christenings, anniversary parties related to European royals,(Philip's always gone and now one of her children go) nor does she holiday with them. Even when Philip's sisters were alive Elizabeth rarely went to visit them, (Philip often did) his sisters did come to the UK and Elizabeth spent time with them. QE2 has cordial relationships with all the various royals brought about by official visits and the 2 Greek weddings she did attend in London. She also hosts various royals during the time they are in the UK (eg lunch before Charles' wedding blessing) but to say that she's good friends with any of them would be stretching it.

They dont have to see each other to be close friends. They probably talk on the phone a lot. I think most of Europes Royal Familys talk on the phone and keep in touch. Remember, not all visits are open to the public. There are many private visits that we dont know about.

OK, but even if the Queen and Sonja are close that doesn't mean that Charles and Haakon are close. I guess what I'm saying is that Charles doesn't usually socialize a lot with people a lot younger than him.

Not to start another Diana discussion, but the age difference and Charles' preference for people of his own age was one reason the two didn't click.

But Haakon and Mette-Marit are even younger than Diana so I don't see the connection. :confused:

Re:

I remember seeing an event where there were alot of Heads of State together - can't remember exactly what it was, but the Queen was in a pale blue and Queen Beatrix in a bright orange creation. The Queen seemed very cold towards her and almost ignored her at times. But I've seen them at other times together and the Queen doesn't appear so off-hand with Beatrix.

Then again, when do we see Elizabeth with the extended family? She never goes abroad for weddings or funerals :mad:

ysbel said:
I guess what I'm saying is that Charles doesn't usually socialize a lot with people a lot younger than him.

The Prince of Wales is said to be very close with Lady Sarah Chatto his cousin, who is 16 years his junior. The pair have gone off on painting holidays in the past.

Its not age that matters but the maturity level. Prince Charles and Crown Prince Hakoon have a lot in common in being heirs to a monarch with an unstable foundation, wifes who are considered scandolous, and so on and so on. They could be friends and we just dont know it. Or Camilla and Mette-Marit might be friends.

caroline mathilda said:
The Prince of Wales is said to be very close with Lady Sarah Chatto his cousin, who is 16 years his junior. The pair have gone off on painting holidays in the past.

Thanks caroline mathilda, I didn't know that. I still don't see Charles getting too friendly with people a lot younger than him. Other men do so its definitely a personal preference. I'm not judging Charles maturity level but based on the other people he's friends with, a friendship with Haakon and Mette Marit seems out of character.

Re:

Has anyone got any pics without watermarks of the Duchess at the Nelson event at St Paul's today. I've seen a few (with watermarks) and there's a lovely one of her kissing Prince Michael of Kent - she looks very glamorous!

Ive read so many articles trying to find a pic of the duchess at the trafalger memorial service. Can you please post the watermark ones Beatrixfan. What are watermark pics anyway. If anyone has non watermark pics please post. Oh, and I was trying to say that maybe the younger royals sre very mature for their age and get along with Charles. Here is some other news.

King Federick and Queen Mary of Australia?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/mary-over-charles/2005/10/24/1130006012108.html

In case that one does not work.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17013214-2,00.html

I realize this is on the wrong thread..but isn't Princess Anne a godmother to Prince Haakon....for that to be the case...at one time..there had to be some type of relationship. And if I am correct, the last time Queen Sonja came to London (I believe it was an exhibition of Queen Maud's clothes)..Princess Anne, Mette-Marit, and the Countess of Wessex were there and they all seemed quite comfortable with each other.

Charlotte1 said:
I would question this. What exactly is your source for this information? If it's the book by Tim Graham that's not a reliable source as he's a royal photographer not someone with inside knowledge. It would be hard for QE2 to have any strong friendships amongst the European royals as she rarely sees them, QE2 doesn't attend any funerals ( except Badouin's) weddings, christenings, anniversary parties related to European royals,(Philip's always gone and now one of her children go) nor does she holiday with them. Even when Philip's sisters were alive Elizabeth rarely went to visit them, (Philip often did) his sisters did come to the UK and Elizabeth spent time with them. QE2 has cordial relationships with all the various royals brought about by official visits and the 2 Greek weddings she did attend in London. She also hosts various royals during the time they are in the UK (eg lunch before Charles' wedding blessing) but to say that she's good friends with any of them would be stretching it.

It isn't Tim Graham's book. I will go through my library and find the source.

Zonk1189 said:
I realize this is on the wrong thread..but isn't Princess Anne a godmother to Prince Haakon....for that to be the case...at one time..there had to be some type of relationship. And if I am correct, the last time Queen Sonja came to London (I believe it was an exhibition of Queen Maud's clothes)..Princess Anne, Mette-Marit, and the Countess of Wessex were there and they all seemed quite comfortable with each other.

I think Mette-Marit is comfortable with everyone, and Princess Ann doesn't care who anyone is-so she just sits back and enjoys herself, and the Countess of Wessex will talk to anyone.:)

caroline mathilda said:
Lady Sarah Chatto is one of really great support of Prince Charles about The Duchess of Cornwall, she used to encourage The Queen for that marriage lots.

I dont know much about Lady Chatto but I hear good things about her. Is she Princess Margerets daughter. Maybe she is a big supporter of Charles and Camilla because she knew the pain her mother went through not being able to marry who u love.

Princejonnhy25 said:
I dont know much about Lady Chatto but I hear good things about her. Is she Princess Margerets daughter. Maybe she is a big supporter of Charles and Camilla because she knew the pain her mother went through not being able to marry who u love.

Hi Princejohnny25,

Yes, Lady Srarah is HRH the Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon's daughter & second child (Lord Linely being her older brother).

"MII"

Private Lives

My observation on all of this is that people are judging the nature and strength of personal relationships based on photographs taken at public events.

We seem to be forgetting they have private lives as well, and that most of their contact and "interaction" would take place well out of the public spotlight.

To throw a question into the mix: "Who is Queen Elizabeth's best friend/closest confidante?"
Exclude her husband. If someone told us the (correct) answer we would quite possibly scratch our heads and ask "who's she?" (or he).

When it comes to the crunch we know very little about the private life of Queen Elizabeth. And the reason? She gives very little away, and those who know don't tell.

Maybe the Queen's closest confidante is her cousin, Margaret Rhodes. She was there during the death of the Queen Mother. Just a guess on my part. (Margaret's death, and the Queen Mother's, must have left a huge void in the Queen's life.)

So Clarence House today released the details for the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall's visit to the United States of America from 1st to 8th of November:
http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/diary.html
Tuesday, 1st November
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit the World Trade Centre site, New York.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will dedicate a centre stone for the British Memorial Garden, New York
  • The Prince of Wales will meet Kofi Annan, UN Secretary General at an event on Youth Enterprise hosted by the UK Mission to the UN and the United Nations Development Programme, The United Nations, New York.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a Reception hosted by the British Consul General at the Museum of Modern Art, New York.
Wednesday, 2nd November

• The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a lunch given by President and Mrs Bush at the White House, Washington DC.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, accompanied by Mrs Bush, will plant a tree to commemorate their visit to the School for Educational Evolution and Development, Washington DC.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a dinner given by President and Mrs Bush at the White House, Washington DC.
Thursday, 3rd November

• The Duchess of Cornwall, accompanied by The Prince of Wales, will attend a seminar on tackling osteoporosis, The National Institutes for Health, Washington DC.
  • The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall, will give a speech when he receives the Vincent Scully Prize and view exhibitions of The Prince’s Foundation for the Built Environment and The Prince’s School of Traditional Arts, National Buildings Museum, Washington DC.
  • The Prince of Wales will attend a Seminar on “Faith and Social Responsibility”, Georgetown University, Washington DC.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a Reception hosted by Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the United States of America, Washington DC.
Friday, 4th November

• The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall, will lay a wreath to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the end of the Second World War at a new Second World War Memorial, Washington DC.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will meet children participating in a workshop at the Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington DC.
Saturday, 5th November

• The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit the Point Reyes Farmers’ Market, Point Reyes Station, Marin County.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a lunch with representatives of the local farming community at an organic farm, Marin County.
Sunday, 6th November

• The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall attend a performance of “Beach Blanket Babylon”, Club Fugazi, San Francisco.
Monday, 7th November

• The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will meet children growing and cooking food at the “Edible School Yard”, Martin Luther King Jr. Middle School, Berkeley.
  • The Prince of Wales, accompanied by The Duchess of Cornwall, will give a speech at a Seminar on Environmental issues, The Ferry Building, San Francisco.
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a dinner hosted by the Mayor of San Francisco and the British Consul General with members of the business community, de Young Museum, San Francisco.
Tuesday, 8th November

• The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will meet people being helped by a project to tackle homelessness, Empress Hotel, San Francisco.

Re:

Wow! They'll be pretty busy - and I'm hoping for lots and lots of Camilla snaps in fabulous outfits.

BeatrixFan said:
Wow! They'll be pretty busy - and I'm hoping for lots and lots of Camilla snaps in fabulous outfits.

I think she will probably wear a lot of her old things. Seeing as she wears her clothes over again.

The Duchess is very sensible when it comes to her fashion and reuse of clothes. But, I think they want to make an impression in America so we might see some great classic outfits comeback but I am expecting new ones for the State Visit. It is only right to get a new wardrobe for a state visit.

Sunday night on 60 Minutes is the big night we Americans on here have been waiting for!! The first American interview with Prince Charles in so many years.

Damn, I thought they were going to do something at the World Financial Center where I work. Its right across from the World Trade Center site. But I checked the WFC calendar and nothing is on the November schedule. :(

I don't know where they're going to be at the WTC visit. Our building has the only decent sized atrium in the area. There's not much other than office buildings down here.

wow ysbel, your going to have trouble getting to work--with the large amount security they will have!!!

I don't expect them to put such visit on public bulletin board, even if it were to take place.

Well, Harrys Polo Shirt, the security is tight enough as it is now. :( but I'll get in to work extra early.

Incas, I hope you're right and they do visit us. I have my camera all ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom