Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 5: September-October 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Charles talks of need for quiet life

JOHN INNES

THE Prince of Wales has spoken of the need for people to slow down and take more time for reflection. Prince Charles said he felt the pace of the modern world to be "frenetic".
http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1925062005

The Prince of Wales speaks during a visit to a pioneering restoration project at Woodchester Mansion, near Stroud, Gloucestershire,12 September, 2005. The Prince highlighted the critical shortage of workers in traditional trades during a visit to the project. Charles addressed around 75 delegates at the seminar on the future of traditional building skills

From getty

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 55384978.jpg
    55384978.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 247
  • 55384989.jpg
    55384989.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 55385045.jpg
    55385045.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 55385046.jpg
    55385046.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
From the official Homepage of The Prince of Wales:

THE DUCHESS OF CORNWALL TAKES ON NEW PATRONAGES

Her Royal Highness will become Patron of the following charities:

• Animal Care Trust (under the umbrella of The Royal Veterinary College)
• London Chamber Orchestra
• The Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists
• Youth Action Wiltshire
• Cornwall Community Foundation

The Duchess has also agreed to become President of Scotland’s Gardens Scheme based in Edinburgh, mirroring a similar role to The Prince of Wales who is Patron of the English equivalent, the National Gardens Scheme.

To me it´s well selected for not to clash too much with the memory of Diana.
All the best wishes for your new duties, Camilla !!!

BTW now that this thread is renamed is it right to post news in here or do we need a new thread for news? Sorry if I did wrong.

No, this is fine, Gladys. Current events and news are the same thing; the reason the threads are being changed from "News and Pictures" to "Current Events" is that a lot of people were posting old pictures in the threads, which was getting in the way of the the news items and the discussions of them, as well as putting a severe strain on the site's bandwidth. So we're trying to encourage more discrimination in posting of pictures in the hope that we don't totally overload the site.

thank you for explaining it, Elspeth

Charles, Camilla and Diana.....

I was wondering.... I read in the past that Charles was so jealous of Diana and the attention she got because of her dresses, jewelry and hats. It also effected his self confidence. Now it seems the world is doing the same with Camillas wardrobe, hair, jewelry and hats. Does anyone out there see it happening again or has he matured enough to be proud of her instead of jealous. Everything in his life, since he was a small boy, has been revolved around him and I can see where it effected his thoughts with Diana and Iam hoping he has changed. I sometimes wonder if either he or Camilla have a guilty feeling over what they did to Diana. After all she was just a young girl marrying her prince and hoping for the best as we all do. But Camilla was the third party and not many marriages can stand that.:D

I don't think Camilla is going to receive anything like the same sort of attention that Diana did, and she seems to be very happy in Charles's company and vice versa, so there may be fewer solo events for her anyway. I expect he and Charles know each other well enough by now for them to have a much greater level of mutual trust than Charles and Diana ever did.

Elspeth said:
I don't think Camilla is going to receive anything like the same sort of attention that Diana did, and she seems to be very happy in Charles's company and vice versa, so there may be fewer solo events for her anyway. I expect he and Charles know each other well enough by now for them to have a much greater level of mutual trust than Charles and Diana ever did.

I think Camilla is not interested in the limelight at all. She always wants a private life. Unlike Diana, she has no intention to upstage Charles. Charles knows that, their staff know that and their friends know that. So Charles will be not very upset about her engagements Camilla probably prefer public engagments with Charles other than her solo engagements. She may do some charity activites privately without too many media attention.

Gladys said:
From the official Homepage of The Prince of Wales:

THE DUCHESS OF CORNWALL TAKES ON NEW PATRONAGES

Her Royal Highness will become Patron of the following charities:

• Animal Care Trust (under the umbrella of The Royal Veterinary College)
• London Chamber Orchestra
• The Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists
• Youth Action Wiltshire
• Cornwall Community Foundation

I love the way her duchy seems to be so important to her. she patronizes charities based there, visits there. she had ears of corn embroidered on her wedding dress.

this photo isnt really cornwall related. i just like it.

Attachments

• candc3smallie.jpg
    candc3smallie.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 327
Last edited by a moderator:
More from getty

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 238
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 230
HRH The Prince of Wales, Prince Charles, speaks to tourists as he makes an impromptu visit to the Royal Collection at Buckingham Palace September 13, 2005 in London, England. As head of the board of trustees for the Royal Collection, the Prince wanted to welcome visitors from around the world who were visiting London and Buckinham Palace

From getty

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 228
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 241
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 279
Harry's polo shirt said:
Prince Charles and Camilla want to visit New Orleans

The royal couple will visit New York, Washington and San Francisco during their ten-day stay in the States this November - but want to add a trip to the south to meet grief-stricken victims of Hurricane Katrina.

more here: http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/royal_family/92062004.htm

are you serious about that! but Prince Charles and Camilla wanted to paid respect to grief New Orleans also! oh good grief

Sara Boyce

I think it is wonderful, it would brighted up the day of some of the survivors. Most people there live in poverty, and will probably never have a means to visit other countrys. It would be once in a lifetime to meet a royal especially Prince Charles.

I think if they went to the USA and didn't try to visit New Orleans, they'd be criticised for being heartless. Since the hurricane happened in August, there were probably a number of British tourists who were affected, and like every other US city, there'll be an expatriate population living there.

Another reason I think they should go is that by the time they get to the US the hurricane will be old news around the rest of the world. It virtually is here in Australia now with it hardly rating a mention. But a visit by the heir to the British throne to the area would at least put it on the news again for a day or so and reawaken people's awareness of the continuing need for help, just as his visit to Sri Lanka did with the tsunami.

I have a friend who works for the Red Cross and after I suggested this on a Royal board a week or so ago I was shot down in flames with posters saying that because the people of the area are poor and most wouldn't even know who he was (!) it would be useless for Charles and Camilla to go there. Some even said that it would be just a PR stunt for them to go. A day or so later I was talking to her about this issue and she said that in the week or so after his visit to Sri Lanka was published donations to the tsunami appeal had a large spike. He went there in February by which time many people had stopped giving and the injection of extra donations was welcome.

Maybe a visit by them then would do the same thing internationally - give it a bit more of a profile. It might boost morale to know that the heir to the British throne even knew about the suffering etc.

Camilla Pic

At the Victoria Cross & George Cross Association (not posted under) ...
courtesy Getty Images

Attachments

• 55393226.jpg
    55393226.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 271
The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall attend a service of remembrance and rededication held at St. Martin-in-the-Fields in Trafalgar Square on September 13, 2005 London, England
Some other more photos from Getty Images:

Attachments

• 55392824.jpg
    55392824.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 190
  • 55392926.jpg
    55392926.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 55393252.jpg
    55393252.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 55393450.jpg
    55393450.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 55393489.jpg
    55393489.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 55393570.jpg
    55393570.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 213
  • 55399253.jpg
    55399253.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 55399254.jpg
    55399254.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 238
http://www.lavanguardia.es/web/20050914/51192879776.html

Camila quintuples his charitable work

THE AVANT-GARDE - 14/09/2005
LONDON | AGENCIES

Camila Parker-Bowles, duchess of Cornwall, has extended his charitable work on having accepted the presidency of five organizations, as announced yesterday Clarense House, official residence of his husband, the prince Carlos de Inglaterra. Between these organizations they appear the Society of Podología and Pedicura, the Consortium for the Care of the Animals and the Band of Chamber of London.

" The duchess is been charmed with of taking charge of these new responsibilities ", the said source declared, on having specified that Camila presides now at a whole of nine organizations.

The wife of the Prince of Wales has promised to collaborate with the Consortium of Care of the Animals because, according to the spokesman, " it has several dogs and is a great lover of the animals ", especially of the horses. Camila is happened as the president of the consortium to the popular queen by mother, grandmother of the Prince of Wales, who died in March, 2002 to the age of 101 years.

The duchess of Cornwall, who was already supporting a narrow relation with organizations as the National Society of Osteoporosis of the United Kingdom, has increased notably his charitable commitments since he married.

Harry's polo shirt said:
I think it is wonderful, it would brighted up the day of some of the survivors. Most people there live in poverty, and will probably never have a means to visit other countrys. It would be once in a lifetime to meet a royal especially Prince Charles.

How much money will this condolence trip cost, and who will pay for it?

It would be better to make a significant contribution to relief and assistance for the survivors.

imho money for the the royal family is better spent than on so many other programs.so much money is wasted in government. we actually get something concrete from royal families.

i live in washington dc and in light of the hurricane a major newspaper studied how my city would handle a situation similar to the hurricane.

Despite 2 BILLION US Dollars being spent in the last 4 years on preparing us for natural disasters and terrorist attacks the paper found that we would probably wouldnt be much better of than New Orleans if disaster were to strike.

charles and camilla's trip will cost far less than 2 billion dollars.

i'm sure the hurricane survivors and relief workers will be thrilled to meet them and personally I think it is extremely sweet of Charles and Camilla to want to go show their sympathy. it's not their country, they're not obligated to. i'm sure the rest of their trip will be a lot of fancy dinners. their visit to new orleans will hardly be fancy.

The money could be given to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, or even the Southern Baptist Convention (which I hear is doing wonderful work on the Miss. coast). (FYI, I'm not even a Baptist.) They could even make a donation to a pet rescue group, since Camilla is patron of an animal group.

Weren't the Australians just complaining about how much money they had to spend on the Prince of Wales and the Crown Princess of Denmark?

While the intentions are good...I think they should just make a donation to the American Red Cross. While the attention wil most likely cause a spike in donations, the logistics, the cost of security, etc. might offset any gains.

iowabelle said:
Weren't the Australians just complaining about how much money they had to spend on the Prince of Wales and the Crown Princess of Denmark?
The bigger chunk was spent on the Fred & Mary. The funny thing was at every stop, the locals were tripping over each other to impress the visitors. They only complained of the tab as an after thought, no doubt to make an impression as conciensious politicans.:p

iowabelle said:
The money could be given to the Red Cross, Salvation Army, or even the Southern Baptist Convention (which I hear is doing wonderful work on the Miss. coast). (FYI, I'm not even a Baptist.) They could even make a donation to a pet rescue group, since Camilla is patron of an animal group.

i understand what you're saying and you make a good argument.

i truly feel, however, that C and C making the visit will have a more beneficial effect than their simply donating the money.

These two important people taking time to visit people and see the devastation with their own eyes will encourage the victims by showing them that the international community cares for their plight.

Ofcourse money is vital to relief work and rebuilding, (and its wonderful to see that so many people are being so generous)

Ultimately it is spirit and courage that gets people through difficult times like these. and I think Charles and Camilla visiting would help give that to the people of New Orleans.

i think we have very different perspectives. both valid. but not really reconcilable.

I belong to some groups which have been asked to make quilts and provide bed linens and underwear for the survivors. These are people who don't have anything left.

Honestly, I think survivors would prefer blankets and underwear to a pat on the back from Prince Charles.

Maybe the Prince could turn Mr. Fawcett's talents toward raising some money for hurricane relief. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom