The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejonnhy25
because americans are more willing to give second chances and focus on the now and future not the past.
Thats gotta be a joke! Where the Royals are concerned the majority of americans are firmly planted in the past. Most particularly pre 1997.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
There isn't anything on the monarchy website about upcoming engagements for Camilla and Charles but you do hear Charles in the news making speeches etc. Are all the engagements on the calendar? I can't believe the Queen would let them sit out a couple of months since everybody else has a full calendar.
Just bringing this question back. Does anyone know when Charles and Camilla's next engagement is?

When are they coming to the US?

Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Royal Highness

Smile

Quote:
The 60 minutes interview has already been done. It was done at Highgrove I think. Prince Charles chose an american program to do the interview because americans are more willing to give second chances and focus on the now and future not the past. Prince Charles is the only one doing the interview. He talks about Diana, his boys, what he is currently doing and his new wife Camilla. I think it will be a great interview. It is charles first TV interview since confessing to adultery. They have a lot to talk about and I think it will be good.
Thank you for the update.

I cannot wait to see it.

I think part of the reason they chose the U.S. is, Charles has not been here other than for Ronald Reagan's funeral last year, to visit in any official capacity for years.

They chose the U.S. for a few reasons, I heard.

One, because Diana was so popular here they are looking to make inroads and shore up the Prince's popularity here.

Two, it is a major test of the Duchess's acceptance, if she can make here in the U.S. and win over the American people, it will give her status a firmer platform on which to stand on.

I know they are staying at the White House....so it will be interesting.

And you know the American press will be all over them when they visit...
Old 09-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

At the moment there is no engagements of The Duchess on the Prince's website until December 7th it just have this:
Wednesday, 12th October
  • The Prince of Wales, President, The Prince of Wales's Foundation for Integrated Health, will meet patients and staff as he reopens the Royal London Homeopathic Hospital, 60 Great Ormond Street, London, WC1.
  • The Prince of Wales, President, The Prince of Wales's Foundation for Integrated Health, will address the inaugural meeting of the Foundation's GP Associates, St James's Palace, London, SW1.
Wednesday, 7th December
  • The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall attend the World Premiere of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in aid of the Cinema and Television Benevolent Fund, The Royal Albert Hall, London
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 09-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Americans definetly give second chances more. But, I kinda wish Barbra Walters did the interview. That would get much more publicity than 60 minutes.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The 60 minutes interview has already been done. It was done at Highgrove I think. Prince Charles chose an american program to do the interview because americans are more willing to give second chances and focus on the now and future not the past. Prince Charles is the only one doing the interview. He talks about Diana, his boys, what he is currently doing and his new wife Camilla. I think it will be a great interview. It is charles first TV interview since confessing to adultery. They have a lot to talk about and I think it will be good.

He is going to talk about Diana?? Oh, I don't want to hear his excuses and untruths. How is this interview going to effect William and Harry?? What effect is this going to have on The Queen and the Monarchy? Did Her Majesty approve of this interview?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
He is going to talk about Diana?? Oh, I don't want to hear his excuses and untruths. How is this interview going to effect William and Harry?? What effect is this going to have on The Queen and the Monarchy? Did Her Majesty approve of this interview?
As we don't know what's been said in the interview, nobody can say that Charles speaks any untruths about Diana, their relationship or anything or anybody else.

And seven, eight years after her death, and now that he is married to the woman he really loves and his sons are doing well, Charles has no real need to say anything negative about Diana. She isn't alive to counter anything he has to say, so he has everything (or at least popularity points) to say positive things about her. And he may actually mean these things he says about his ex-wife! (Imagine that!)

Well certainly their father's own words about his life, their lives, or Camilla can't be worst than what the tabloids say about William and Harry on a weekly basis.

I would think that St. James' Palace would not let Charles do something stupid on such a public scale. And in that sense, they would be protecting the Queen and the monarchy.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

When is it going to air?

Americans do give second chances more.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Americans are more forgiving. We love a comeback! On another note..its is extremely risky...I believe that Charles's advisers used to refer to America as Dianaland!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:39 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Americans are more forgiving. We love a comeback! On another note..its is extremely risky...I believe that Charles's advisers used to refer to America as Dianaland!
Well, he's the future king and he's going to have to go to America sometime. As King and head of state he will need to visit and receive other heads of state. He'll need to put the drama of the last years aside to do the job.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Interesting that the PoW and his staff knew what questions were going to be asked by 60 Minutes. That should eliminate any potential of getting genuine answers. (I don't think that 60 Minutes would dare ask him embarassing questions like "boxers or briefs?")
Old 09-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Royal Highness

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
As we don't know what's been said in the interview, nobody can say that Charles speaks any untruths about Diana, their relationship or anything or anybody else.

And seven, eight years after her death, and now that he is married to the woman he really loves and his sons are doing well, Charles has no real need to say anything negative about Diana. She isn't alive to counter anything he has to say, so he has everything (or at least popularity points) to say positive things about her. And he may actually mean these things he says about his ex-wife! (Imagine that!)

Well certainly their father's own words about his life, their lives, or Camilla can't be worst than what the tabloids say about William and Harry on a weekly basis.

I would think that St. James' Palace would not let Charles do something stupid on such a public scale. And in that sense, they would be protecting the Queen and the monarchy.
Hi Alexandria,

I agree with you. I think if he mentions Diana it will be in a more cautious yet fond manner, focusing on her charitable contributions and her devotion as a mother.

It will be a lot of fun to see them here as this is the first time a member of the British Royal Family has made an official visit since QEII came to the Washington in 1991.

Although, we Chicagoans are proud that the last oversees trip Diana made as HRH was to Chicago in 1996....believe you me nothing else happened in the world for 3 days while she was here...
Old 09-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think Charles has ever said that Diana wasn't a good mother. I wouldn't expect him to say anything negative about her at all, not even a hint. If he did discuss the divorce or what not, I do believe he will only mention that he and Diana were not good together, and leave it at that.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was a leak that said what was in the interview. Like Tiarapin said, it was a free for all. It was just done earlier so there could be editing. Am I the only one who thinks Barbra Walters should have done the interview.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Americans definetly give second chances more. But, I kinda wish Barbra Walters did the interview. That would get much more publicity than 60 minutes.
But she asks such soft questions. And then there's the obligatory moment of tears. I can just hear her now, "Do you wish that you had had a closer relationship with your parents when you were a child?" etc.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes but that is why I love barbra. I wonder what kinda tree prince charles is. lol
Old 09-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Royal Highness

What do you think? A talking tree, of course. (Grin.)
Old 09-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Serene Highness

Question When?

Any idea when this interview is due to air?
Old 09-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaLynn07
Any idea when this interview is due to air?
I still can't find out when they're coming to the US.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Royal Highness

I think it will be right before they visit.

I think they chose 60 Minutes because they were looking for a mature style of news show in the sense of traditional reporting, not bashing Barbara, I think she is awesome, but more, how can I say this, hardcore news. 60 Minutes is that stable of a rock kind of news show that follows the tradition of reporting news as it has been since Edward R Murrow.

But, I agree, I would love to see Barbara interview them both because she would handle it in such a classy way, the same unique way she always has.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales