The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Her Majesty would never consider making her a Lady of the Garter. That would desecrate the oldest institution of chivalry in the world. If Charles gets his chance to be king, he will make her one

Who knows? The Queen may decide to desecrate the Order by bestowing it on Camilla but if she follows precedent of previous monarchs, its not likely she will.

Queen Alexander was bestowed the honor by Edward VIII, as were Queen Mary by George V and the Queen Mother by George VI so there's an excellent chance of Charles bestowing the Order on his wife. But monarchs haven't really bestowed the Order of the Garter on their daughters-in-law whether they liked the daughters-in-law or not.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:04 PM

Re:

Camilla's hat for the Battle of Britain event was amazing! She has the face for hats and looks absolutely amazing in her big feathery creations.

Hmm, the Lady of the Garter issue. Whether people like it or not, she's his wife - it's only natural for him to want to give her the world - and the LG too!

Old 09-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Royal Highness

Didn't she wear the same hat with a white dress earlier in the summer, I think it was VE day.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Yes, it was a repeat Philip Treacy hat.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Call me crazy...I can't see the Queen making Camilla a Lady of the Garter. I can see her giving Camilla the family order in a year or so....but not a Lady of the Garter. Diana received her at 16 months. Not to compare the two...but Diana did hit the ground running. She is going to need to do a lot more public service before she receives that. The Princes Royal has it...does the Duchess of Gloucester? She has worked for hard for the family the last twenty years or so.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Camilla's gift to help self-harm charity

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...21/ixhome.html
Old 09-21-2005, 01:42 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Call me crazy...I can't see the Queen making Camilla a Lady of the Garter. I can see her giving Camilla the family order in a year or so. She is going to need to do a lot more public service before she receives that. The Princes Royal has it...does the Duchess of Gloucester?
If we are talking about the Royal Family Order, these have it:
Princess Royal
Countess of Wessex (last year, first worn at Danish Wedding function)
Duchess of Gloucester (1973)
Duchess of Kent
Princess Alexandra

KGs: Anne (1994) and Alexandra (a big honour for her in 2003).
Old 09-21-2005, 02:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
If we are talking about the Royal Family Order, these have it:
Princess Royal
Countess of Wessex (last year, first worn at Danish Wedding function)
Duchess of Gloucester (1973)
Duchess of Kent
Princess Alexandra

KGs: Anne (1994) and Alexandra (a big honour for her in 2003).
what about Princess Diana? she wores since 1983 and 1992 till she got separation and divorces im not sure about it

Sara Boyce
Old 09-21-2005, 02:44 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
what about Princess Diana? she wores since 1983 and 1992 till she got separation and divorces im not sure about it
Sara Boyce
Sara
I was only listing those who currently have the Royal Family Order.
If we include recently-deceased Royals, we have:
The Queen Mother
Princess of Wales
Princess Margaret
Princess Alice of Gloucester
Old 09-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The Queen could love Camilla like a daughter and I still don't think she'd give her the Order of the Garter. No King or Queen has given the Order to their daughter-in-law before. The Queen broke precedent by giving it to Anne and Alexandra but they were her flesh and blood.

If she gives it to Camilla and Charles and Camilla later divorce (not likely but possible) that would create an awkward situation. Giving it to her blood relatives is less risky. Anne divorced but she was still the Queen's daughter.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, it'd be much more likely for Charles to make her a Lady of the Garter than for the Queen to. I assume he'll do so if she ends up being Queen Camilla, but I'm not sure about the situation if she really does becime Princess Consort.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ok, I'm confused. the Duchess of Gloucester has the order of the garter???

she shared a carriage with Camilla at the garter service this year and she was not wearing the robes. (she was wearing a light blue suit with a pillbox hat, as i recall)

do some of the knights not wear their robes for the Garter service? is there a protocool for that or is it simply their choice?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Royal Highness

Are Charles and Camilla take part in the visit from Norway in October?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Ok, I'm confused. the Duchess of Gloucester has the order of the garter???
No, she has the Family Order; I think that's the question that was being answered with that list which included the Duchess. The only royal ladies with the Garter are the Queen, Princess Anne, and Princess Alexandra (and the Queen Mother had it, if course). The Duchess of Gloucester and the Countess of Wessex also have the Family Order; I think the Duchess of Kent still has hers; Fergie and Princess Michael were never given it.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
No, she has the Family Order; I think that's the question that was being answered with that list which included the Duchess. The only royal ladies with the Garter are the Queen, Princess Anne, and Princess Alexandra (and the Queen Mother had it, if course). The Duchess of Gloucester and the Countess of Wessex also have the Family Order; I think the Duchess of Kent still has hers; Fergie and Princess Michael were never given it.
Ok thanks a lot for the explanation! that helps a lot

Do you happen to know if members of the family order have a special insignia that they get to wear?

did Diana have the family order?
Old 09-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Courtier

Yes Diana had family orders. It is a yellow ribbon with a picture of the Queen on a broach surronded by dimonds (someone may be able to give a better discribtion) I think she got hers two years after she was married.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ok, yeah. I know what you're talking about. she would wear it to state dinners. i didnt realize that was the family order. i'm learning so much today

It's kinda similar to ones the Swedish young royals wear with pictures of their dad only with a light blue ribbon.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:20 AM
Royal Highness

Camilla shouldn't get the family order either. She will get one if Charles does become king. Sarah Ferguson never got it, so why should Camilla?? She has done worse!!
Old 09-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

It seems the Family Order is a personal momento from the Queen to the receiver rather than an official state decoration. Why she didn't give one to Sarah who she initially liked is a mystery.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Camilla shouldn't get the family order either. She will get one if Charles does become king. Sarah Ferguson never got it, so why should Camilla?? She has done worse!!
She's been discreet and not talked to the press or trailed a parade of boyfriends around. The royal family seem to be of the opinion that the worst thing you can do is to talk to the press about things, not actually do them.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales