Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 4: August-September 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tiaraprin said:
I didn't know that Princess Anne shed tears in public at anytime!! Well, she picked a good place to shed them!! My grandfather helped liberate Auschwitz at the end of WWII.

I think all the royals, including Anne, shed tears at the de-commissioning of Britannia, too.

Your grandfather had a really tough assignment there.

iowabelle said:
I think all the royals, including Anne, shed tears at the de-commissioning of Britannia, too.

Your grandfather had a really tough assignment there.

Yes he did. He was also at DDay on the beaches of Normandy. He received the Fleur de Lys from the French Government.

Very impressive!

ysbel said:
I just remembered. Didn't Bush announce that Camilla would not be welcome at the White House? Yes here it is.

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/news/tm_objectid=15209578&method=full&siteid=106694&headline=camilla-banned-from-white-house-name_page.html

Looks like he's backtracking. I thought his announcement at the time of the wedding was a little premature and overdone.

WHAT!! that is sooo stupid. He doesn't care if she is a divorcee. Englands friendship is very important to him. If it was true it would be all over the news here and that is the first time I heard that!

Harry's polo shirt said:
WHAT!! that is sooo stupid. He doesn't care if she is a divorcee. Englands friendship is very important to him. If it was true it would be all over the news here and that is the first time I heard that!

Not that I am a Charles and Camilla fan, but I can say the President of my country is an idiot!! He and the political right are trying to take over our country. He acts more aloof and snobby that Queen Mary in relation to divorce!!

LaMinka said:
Translation:

A Hat of English snitt (what means snitt?). Aren't that Camilla Parker-Bowles? But were is Prince Charles?
MALMÖ-JÄGERSRO. The hores come yesterday. On the years Swedish galoppderby(i cant translate the word galoppderby!) is that just the hats like wins. And this year it was really on the hats.
-I like horses. But a hat is much better, say Eva Dellien like come to Jägersro from Eldsberga yesterday.

I cant translate longer, i are so tierd, cant you Dennism, La_La, Josephine or Grand Duchess translate?

Sorry. I didn´t see this until now. The rest of the article is about the people who attended the race. And about the hats that the people wore to the derby. Basically, an Ascot type of article which is more about the fashions than the actual race(s). Also it mentions that a 9 year old won first price for the funniest hat.

Snitt is a pattern or a cut in the fashion sense. Galoppderby is just a horse race. The big derby in Sweden, I presume. At least in Skäne.

Thanks for the translations, LaMinka and Dennism. I don't suppose many of the regulars here are conversant with Swedish.

tiaraprin said:
Not that I am a Charles and Camilla fan, but I can say the President of my country is an idiot!! He and the political right are trying to take over our country. He acts more aloof and snobby that Queen Mary in relation to divorce!!

Ah tiaraprin, he was prolly trying to curry favor with one special interest group or another. The Camilla ban was totally unrealistic, plus he's only going to be in the White House another couple of years and the next administration would likely invite C&C for another political ploy to show how open and accepting they are compared to Bush.

I don't hold much truth to this story. I can't imagine that President Bush would say that Camilla wasn't welcome at the White House. President Bush has done some "not-so-bright" things in the past but hopefully this is just a bad rumor. If the rumor is true, then he probably needs to be glad that he' s not up for re-election, there are plenty of divorcees that would take offense to this.

tut tut tut Former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien, when in office, said to be nice with President Bush and not to use bad words. Well he almost forced us to do so. He didn't mention what those words would be but one of his aide lost her job after using the word «moron». President Bush made Mr Chretien look like a wise stateman.

Back to Charles and Camilla they should be welcomed everywhere. They probably have already paid for their sins.

The story of her not be welcomed to the White House is rubbish. If he had a problem with divorced people, his own brother would not be welcome. I wonder who comes up with this garbage?

If Bush didn't allow Camilla in the White House, we could witness a diplomatic scandal with the UK. ù
But I think this story is untrue. I can't remember, but it seems to me that the visit had been decided, if not announced, before the announcement of the wedding (after all, royal visits are planned well in advance), so plans about Camilla could have been made when she still was the mistress. I read somewere that unmarried couples are not allowed to share a room in the White House - I don't know if it's true.
Anyway, C&C are a married couple now, so she isn't a problem. (Sometimes I wonder if Charles had hurried the wedding in order to take Camilla with him in occasion of this American visit. Just my idea. :rolleyes: ).

why shouldnt bush allow camilla into the white house?

there were some articles in the tabloids earlier this year (and before the wedding) that pointed out that President Bush will not welcome Camilla in the White House because she is a divorcee and the mistress of Charles. As ElisaR wrote, now that they are married there will be no reason to ban her ...

it would be silly if he did that. maybe he said so in a moment of anger (or maybe it's just a rumour), but i'm sure he will welcome her. not welcoming her would mean a big mistake in protocol. moreover, he is there to discuss political subjects and camilla's private life shouldn't concern him.

ElisaR said:
I read somewere that unmarried couples are not allowed to share a room in the White House - I don't know if it's true. :rolleyes: ).

I don't know if this is true but that would make sense and would be in compliance to the religious tradition of the president (and many other christian religions). When in Rome, do like the romans.

Maybe he's hoping to win over the support of all the "Diana people"?

Gladys said:
there were some articles in the tabloids earlier this year (and before the wedding) that pointed out that President Bush will not welcome Camilla in the White House because she is a divorcee and the mistress of Charles. As ElisaR wrote, now that they are married there will be no reason to ban her ...

except that even Charles would hardly take his mistress to a state visit to the White House. If she was still his mistress, the logical assumption would be that she would stay at home so there would be no need for an announcement.

The article above was published after the marriage announcement.

Last edited:
paloma said:
The story of her not be welcomed to the White House is rubbish. If he had a problem with divorced people, his own brother would not be welcome. I wonder who comes up with this garbage?

The President of the United States is a strict Born Again Christian who often puts his foot in his mouth due to his religious fervor. Although I am not sympathetic to Charles and Camilla in the least, The President cannot take his religious fervor and ban Camilla as the wife of the future King of England (I can't believe I am defending them) from entering the White House. I stand for this on basic grounds of human principle, not that I like Charles and Camilla in the least.

A Turning Point?

tiaraprin said:
(I can't believe I am defending them)
And to think it has been George Bush that has led to this conciliatory attitude!

:)

Warren said:
And to think it has been George Bush that has led to this conciliatory attitude!

:)

I wouldn't say it is a conciliatory attitude, it is just that the President of my country is an utter moron! I don't like him either, he is ruining my country! I had to stand for a basic principle, irregardless of who it would benefit.

My anti Charles/Camilla feelings aren't going anywhere.

ysbel said:
except that even Charles would hardly take his mistress to a state visit to the White House. If she was still his mistress, the logical assumption would be that she would stay at home so there would be no need for an announcement.

The article above was published after the marriage announcement.

YES YES!! If they were not married Camilla would not even be going on a state visit, the visit is not only to the White House, they are taking a tour of the states. On Good Morning America they said that Charles and Camilla will be touring Sanfransico and other places.

I think that the rule of no unmarried couple sharing a room in the White House is not just President Bush's rule. It is out of respect for the institution. I rather like the rule. It shows respect.

I do support our President, I think he is a wonderful man. I do not support or agree with some of his policy and decisions but I respect him. I think he is a great man with a big heart. He is a MUCH better president and representative that Bill Clinton!

Is this what everyone is talking about. I just found it. Obviously the person who wrote it doesn't like President Bush http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/mar2005-daily/01-03-2005/world/w2.htm
"But the US president - a notoriously right-wing Christian fundamentalist and reformed alcoholic - reportedly told aides that it would be "inappropriate" for him to be playing host to the newly-weds, who are both divorcees.

The decision was made even though the late US President Ronald Reagan (under whom George Bush Senior served as vice-president for eight years) was a divorcee when he married Nancy. Are we to take it, then, that if Regan were alive today, George Bush Junior would have considered banning him from the White House too?"

It goes on to mention Vice President Cheneys daughter being allowed in the White House. It is anti-President Bush.

Last edited:
Are You Guys Still On That Subject! May I Point Out Half The Marridges In North America Have Fail! It May Be Higher Now. So Who Are You To Go Around Critizing Them? Besides Diana Wasn't So Sweet Herself. Have You Ever Heard Of Forgiveness! The Boys Must Have Or The Marridge Would Have Neaver Happened!

Harry's polo shirt said:
Is this what everyone is talking about. I just found it. Obviously the person who wrote it doesn't like President Bush http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/mar2005-daily/01-03-2005/world/w2.htm
"But the US president - a notoriously right-wing Christian fundamentalist and reformed alcoholic - reportedly told aides that it would be "inappropriate" for him to be playing host to the newly-weds, who are both divorcees.

No Harry's Polo Shirt, the article I cited came from the Sun which I think is owned by Rupert Murdoch, his papers in the U.S. staunchly defend Bush. The Sun article wasn't that complementary to Bush either but given this announcement, who could blame them?

Actually I believe Bush's allegiance to the born-again Christian movement goes no further than getting their votes. He's turned them down on a lot of things since he became President (not that I'm complaining about that) I still think the announcement is just a bone he threw to appease the born-again Christian masses.

It would have been political suicide for him to follow up on it.

Harry's polo shirt said:
I think that the rule of no unmarried couple sharing a room in the White House is not just President Bush's rule. It is out of respect for the institution. I rather like the rule. It shows respect.

I totally agree with that sentiment, but its hardly relevant to Charles and Camilla. They WERE planning on getting married when the announcement was published. If they by chance still were not married by the time of the scheduled state visit, the announcement would still be unnecessary because I cannot believe that Charles would try to take his mistress on a state visit. Even if he wanted to, the British government would have a say in that.

CATS said:
Are You Guys Still On That Subject! May I Point Out Half The Marridges In North America Have Fail! It May Be Higher Now. So Who Are You To Go Around Critizing Them? Besides Diana Wasn't So Sweet Herself. Have You Ever Heard Of Forgiveness! The Boys Must Have Or The Marridge Would Have Neaver Happened!

This discussion is not ment to criticize Charles and Camilla or divorcees in generally but talk about the opinions of Mr Bush (or what he is alleged to have said)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom