Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 26: August 2010-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall are attending the enthronement of the new Archbishop of Canterbury today.

ITV

I wonder if Charles considered, while watching the enthronement of the new Archbishop of Canterbury, that this is the man who is likely to crown him King, all being well. AoCs tend to serve for at least 10 years. It's very likely that if Charles survives his mother, it will be Archbishop Welby who will officiate at his coronation.

I had the same thoughts - will this man crown a King? The last 5 haven't had that chance as The Queen has reigned for so long. During Queen Victoria's reign there were 4 who didn't get the chance to crown a monarch.

A coronation must be an amazing honour for an AoC. The literal once in a lifetime experience. One or two of those who didn't get a chance to crown a monarch must have been at least a little bit disappointed.

I think Justin Welby will get along with Charles. They're both slightly unorthodox in their Christianity.

Looking back through the lists I can find only three who have had the honour of crowing two monarchs:

Thomas Arundel - Henry IV and Henry V
Thomas Tennison - Anne and George I
William Howley - William IV and Victoria

Thomas Boucheir had the honour three times: Edward IV, Richard III and Henry VII.

Some crowned a monarch and later, or earlier, a Queen Consort - when the King married after becoming King and they had a separate coronation. Add those in then there are more with multiple crownings.

I was thinking of Charles's Coronation while watching the enthronement.

I hope Charles wont mess up his Coronation with all his "secular" ideas..
I want it as exactly as grand as the previous one.. And also crowning of The Queen Consort..

Charles wants to have an 'inclusive' coronation - not a 'secular' one.

He wants to ensure that all his subjects feel that he represents them and not a small section of his subjects, and a minority at that.

It will be in Westminster Abbey, with possibly some other ceremony in Westminster Hall either on the same day or the day before or after for the atheists and other non-Anglicans who make up the majority of the population.

It won't be as grand simply because Britain isn't a major world power any more and most of the Empire has gone - in 1953 the Queen was Queen of an empire of over 50 different nations while now she has only 16 and some of them will probably be gone by the time Charles is King - with possibly only Canada left.

The Crowning of a Queen Consort will only happen if there is one and that will depend on a lot of things including Camilla surviving The Queen - I see no reason to think that they won't but she has been a heavy smoker throughout her life so the possibility of smoking related disease can't be ruled out.

Charles has "secular" ideas? That's a new one on me! I've always understood Charles to be a person who has a very deep commitment to Christianity and to the Anglican Church in particular. He is definitely a man of faith, and I don't think he has much time for secularism. I recall him speaking about considering the monarch as perhaps being more appropriately described as Defender of Faith rather than Defender of The Faith, and he has spoken about hoping to lessen the formal differences between Catholic Church and the Anglican Church, but he is definitely a man of faith, and I cannot imagine him wanting to make his Coronation a "secular" one - as much as I, as a secular humanist, think that it should, and that the Anglican Church should be disestablished.

Last edited:
He is a very spiritual man - as are many who live in close communion with nature.

I hope Charles wont mess up his Coronation with all his "secular" ideas..
I want it as exactly as grand as the previous one.. And also crowning of The Queen Consort..

"mess up"? His coronation should be meaningful to him, as he dedicates himself to his people across all of his realms and the rest of the Commonwealth, and meaningful to his all of his people regardless of their faith. That is the essential difference between 1953 and whenever.

The coronation will also depend on the relationship between church and monarchy. Time will determine that.

Last edited:
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4h
Prince Charles and Camilla will accompany the Queen and Prince Philip to the State Opening of Parliament on May 8, Buckingham Palace says.

The Queen has been accompanied by other royals on 21 previous occasions but it's Camiila's first time at the State Opening of Parliament.

Prince Charles and Camilla will accompany the Queen and Prince Philip to the State Opening of Parliament on May 8, Buckingham Palace says.

The Queen has been accompanied by other royals on 21 previous occasions but it's Camiila's first time at the State Opening of Parliament.

As said in another thread, so as not to discuss it in 3 separate places, it's being discussed in the Opening of Parliament thread. :)

Well congratulations to the Prince and Duchess on 8 years of apparently a very happy and strong marriage. I suppose some of us have had to accept the fact that she is the woman he had always wanted by his side and she has been a huge strength to him. They truly do love eachother and I am happy for them.

Congrats to Charles & Camilla.

8 years already... i remember this day so well.
The marriage was not a really PC decision back then. But, indeed, i think that Camilla has proven to be quite an asset to the BRF.
Congrats to them.

I think that this couple is very well suited. They make one another very happy, and it's evident. I hope they enjoy many more years together.

Wow, has it only been 8 years? It seems like longer. They are obviously great together and I wish them many years of happiness.

:previous: I have to admit to being somewhat astonished to realise that they have only been married 8 years. They have a lovely relationship and whenever they "double date" they bring out the best in each other and there are always photo's of a laugh, a dig, a giggle or even a light-hearted gaffe!

I know some will say that that's because they've actually been together longer but, it has been my experience that you cannot "practice" actually being married and I should imagine that that goes quadruple for marrying into any royal family! But both of them seem to be aging like fine wine, subtle but with a little peppery spice!

:previous: I have to admit to being somewhat astonished to realise that they have only been married 8 years. They have a lovely relationship and whenever they "double date" they bring out the best in each other and there are always photo's of a laugh, a dig, a giggle or even a light-hearted gaffe!

I know some will say that that's because they've actually been together longer but, it has been my experience that you cannot "practice" actually being married and I should imagine that that goes quadruple for marrying into any royal family! But both of them seem to be aging like fine wine, subtle but with a little peppery spice!

They've had a lifetime just about with a relationship that has had many different levels over time. Perhaps it started in the 70s as a romantic dalliance that never quite made it but from that it turned into an into a friendship that could withstand just about anything. When the chips were down they each had someone to turn to that understood them and the relationship had a feeling of a comfortable old shoe (and we know how Charles feels about his comfortable old shoes)... they could totally be themselves without worry. I like to call that kind of relationship an "agape"one. Unconditional love with no expectations of return. As both of their marriages turned out to be not as strong and the people they married were not their perfect mates they perhaps thought they'd be on marriage, they turned to each other again as close friends do and found that perhaps a close intimate friendship is the best basis for a marriage.

I, too, love seeing Charles and Camilla together and I wish them many more happy years together. Once one knows they're in the the best possible relationship they can ever hope to find, life is so much better.

(walks off humming the Beatle's "The Two of Us")

Perhaps taking a little break with her family?
Camilla's last engagement was on March 27 and her next engagement (that we know of now) will be on April 23rd, in London.

Just a reminder that the FE on the British monarchy website isn't always accurate with regards to Charles and Camilla as there are often engagements that aren't listed in advance on that site.

The 23rd is when she appears to be next going to appear in public. She may have other official engagements in private e.g. meetings or receptions.

Perhaps taking a little break with her family?
Camilla's last engagement was on March 27 and her next engagement (that we know of now) will be on April 23rd, in London.

Just a reminder that the FE on the British monarchy website isn't always accurate with regards to Charles and Camilla as there are often engagements that aren't listed in advance on that site.

The 23rd is when she appears to be next going to appear in public. She may have other official engagements in private e.g. meetings or receptions.

Thank you for your replies. Just had a little early morning anxiety attack. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom