Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 26: August 2010-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are the kind of scenes that make you embarassed to be British.:sad: I don't question for a second that the students have the right to protest the increase in fees, but attacking members of the Royal Family??? These people should be ashamed of themselves.:angry:

I'd bet my Palace that should it have been QEII, she would have passed by unmolested because people respect her. Charles and Camilla...not so much if tonight is any representation.

Perhaps it is speculation to wonder what reception another member of the BRF would have recieved tonight. However, it was Camilla and Charles who ,in fact, received this reception from the people tonight. Apparantly I am not the only person not thrilled with those two. I didnt hear anyone shouting God Save Charles and Camilla (or anything else even mildly supportive), did anyone else? I'd also love to see any positive statistical data that there is a majority of support in the population for Camilla being Queen. All of the polling data year after year and the responses on Facebook and the responses to the various newspaper articles indicate that the majority of people are on the same page I am on. No Queen Camilla. I realize that a lot of posters on this board just LOVE her. But that is not representative of the rest of the population, IMO.... nor is it borne out statistically.

Why are you turning a "wrong place, wrong time" incident into a "The country hates Camilla argument"?

How in the heck was or is anyone allowed to get that close????? I am sorry...it is not as though protesters just jumped out.. The police, MI6, and Scotland are to blame. This would NEVER happen to the President of the United States..to get that CLOSE to the car?? No excuse! This politically correct, lax BS, about being terrified of using force...hey, you get that close...you could get shot. The Secret Service would never allow that...their motto: You protect the President at all costs.

The Daily Mail published an article today on the matter,
Royal car attack: How did anarchists get so close to Prince Charles and Camilla? | Mail Online

Apparently Charles was asked yesterday afternoon how he felt about being driven threw the riots, so he obviously knew something was going on.

Where they protesting every street in downtown London?

The protestors were getting as close to the House of Parliament as they could, when the votes were announced, they moved threw the streets. Police tried to push them away from the Houses of Parliament which is why they ended up on Regent Street.

Kylie greets Prince Charles after his terrifying car attack on way to the Royal Variety Show | Mail Online

Last edited:
Those are the kind of scenes that make you embarassed to be British

I myself have been somewhat stunned by the serge of organised violence in England of late. But, it happens in most places at some point or another so don't feel too bad about it ;)

Those are the kind of scenes that make you embarassed to be British.:sad: I don't question for a second that the students have the right to protest the increase in fees, but attacking members of the Royal Family??? These people should be ashamed of themselves.:angry:

You shouldn't be embarrassed. From what I understand the violence is from anarchists who have zero respect for orderly non-violent demonstrations and are looking for any excuse to cause as much havoc and damage as possible. They are a small pocket of people, not representative of the entire country.

I love Britain! :britflag:

I can't even begin to imagine how scary that must of been for TRH's . Especially when someone right outside their car is yelling "Off with their heads!" IMO that kind of statement is just completely unacceptable, and I'm pretty sure that here in the US, if anyone yelled that at the President, they would be arrested on the spot by the secret service

It is admirable the way students are standing up for this cause, but of course, attacking people always sends the wrong message -- even if it is very effective to make a point.

I don't think this was abut Charles and Camilla, even though I don't think they are the most popular members of the family. Even if it was William or Harry or The Queen or Beatrice and Eugenie...they all would've got the same reception. This is a reaction against people who are privileged and want for nothing. They all would've been attacked Marie Antoinette-style.

Last edited:
There is no more reason to be ashamed of attacking the royal family as the regular guy next door.It is shameful to attack innocent people no matter who they are. It is the royal house's security detail's job to make sure the royal family does not get into this situation.

It appears to have been a complete break-down of security considerations and planning.

Civil disobedience will always be a way for people to say they are disatisfied. It is a very important part of being a democracy. It is all of ours responsibility to take care of our personal safety. The royal house failed miserably.

I don't want to enter a political debate here, but there is a place for peaceful protest in a democracy, and what we have seen so far, there are a vast number some of "students" who seem to be missing the "peaceful" part of the statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing on BBC the attack video,I think there weren't only students there,but some criminal elements as well.This incident reminded the anarchy protests in Russian Tzar Period

I know that its not students who are organising these violent attacks, but they are condoning it. They are going along with it like lemmings because its the trendy thing to be anti-establishment.

Exactly, I was listening to the BBC on NPR late last night and they were interviewing a young woman claiming to be a protesting student. She was positively elated over the protest and the violence. She went on to state that the protesters she was with were glad that Charles and Camilla were attacked because if violence is needed to get their point across, then so be it. She stated that they have a right to a low or no tuition and if people get hurt during the protest/riot it isn't the student's fault.
That is skewed thinking. I don't think I've ever read that low or free tuition is included in any of the human rights declarations. Be that as it may, if students are unhappy then peacefully protest in front of Parliament or 10 Downing Street and protest by writing MP's. The kind of actions occurring are not going get them any support from the public.

The destruction they caused is mind boggling. How much will it cost to clean up and repair what they vandalised?
That is skewed thinking. I don't think I've ever read that low or free tuition is included in any of the human rights declarations.
It certainly is skewed thinking. They have a right to low or no tuition? And violence is needed? Wow.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
At least we can see a positive side in this story : the behaviour of the royal couple was particulary remarquable. First the POW was able to maintan a straight face and posture , protecting his wife on the other side. Second the DOC, visibly terrorised and shocked, fulfilled her engagement with smile and grace few minutes later (and even jocked about all this mess )...
A True royal act. Charles and Camilla won some more points last night...

That emerald necklace....

Was that Diana's emerald necklace that Camilla was wearing?

Nope, it's the emerald necklace she recieved from Saudi Arabia. She has a sapphire and ruby one.

In about ten years time these students will be dentists, doctors, lawyers, vets, politicians and goodness knows what else. In another ten years after that, they will tut tut when the new batch of uni students protest. Tis the circle of life I guess. Now if they were really smart they would have organised a first rate lobby group to lobby parliament against raising fees or paying for it in other ways.

In about ten years time these students will be dentists, doctors, lawyers, vets, politicians and goodness knows what else. In another ten years after that, they will tut tut when the new batch of uni students protest. Tis the circle of life I guess. Now if they were really smart they would have organised a first rate lobby group to lobby parliament against raising fees or paying for it in other ways.

Now just maybe that would be a good project for pre law students at the uni. Excellent idea.

There is no more reason to be ashamed of attacking the royal family as the regular guy next door.It is shameful to attack innocent people no matter who they are. It is the royal house's security detail's job to make sure the royal family does not get into this situation.

It appears to have been a complete break-down of security considerations and planning.

Civil disobedience will always be a way for people to say they are disatisfied. It is a very important part of being a democracy. It is all of ours responsibility to take care of our personal safety. The royal house failed miserably.

Talk about blaming the victim! There is a difference between a march and a riot. The rioters were adults and responsible for their actions. To say "the royal house failed" because there is a riot in the streets is ridiculous. Riots are not a part of a democracy or a republic. There's freedom of speech and then there is violence.

Certainly I would think that it would be prudent to check what is going on in the streets before you send the Prince of Wales and his wife (or anyone else, for that matter) through those streets, but let's not say the rioters were somehow within their rights to smash windows on any car, let alone one with people inside who could have been seriously injured.

The tuition were hurtld out of orbit three times what they were hence many could not afford to go and their futures are in jeopardy.Many have stated that the studenst are engaing in criminal activity and I have to agree but I have to also add that what is being done to them by hiking thier fees is also criminal.
There is no point lobbying anyone because the difference between the rich and poor widens as we speak aroud the globe.It is obscene what the royals have and what the students do not have.Charles and Camilla seem to have been targeted first on the list of the BRF and if security measures are not in place I expect more for the wedding.
The idea of a royal wedding is like a Roman orgy flaunted in the face of these students as well.Tuition hasn't ever been free . Before 1964 if your daddy was not rich you could not apply for a student loan either as they were not in place.Maybe Charles instead of being a "green Prince" could find ways to assist the students get their monies to go. to university because those young people are not on the gravy train of the BRF.
University education in Canada is no longer a privilege but a "human right".I do not think that any members of the BFF will be impervious to anything the students think of next.They certainly got the attention of Prince Charles in that the message is clear.Hope Charles and Camilla are ok however.

Last edited:
First of all where were simple security measures? These people did not appear out of thin air. Yes, they are young and angry and, probably, frightened, as to how they will meet these costs. Attacking anyone is not the answer, but anger itself is very volitile. They did get press. Jaya is correct, anger will be directed at the "haves", especially the "haves" they did not earn it.

These are great photos of Charles and Camilla; they seem to be enjoying each others company and also their guests; what a lovely couple indeed!

Oops, wrong post! These are not the photos I was referring to, but rather the ones in the garden!

Bah typical Richard Kay's trash. At least the conclusuion is not so bad (from Richard Kay)...

"Thirty years of Christmas cards, but none quite compares with the spontaneity, happiness and, yes, love, that is shown in this year’s offering. How relaxed compared with so many of those earlier, formal snaps that marked the Diana years. Is this the year that Charles, now 62, and with an engaged son, has finally found contentment with himself?"

Prince Charles and Camilla had nothing to do with the rising university tuitions. To attack them because of this is crazy. They unfortunately were in the wrong place at the wrong time so the angry crowd turned their anger on them.

Let's get back on topic....this isn't a discussion forum to discuss the pros and cons of stated provided tutition, etc.

Last edited:
First, they crowds were wrong. Attacking a car containing Charles and Camilla probably did nothing to help their cause and just made them look foolish
Were the crowds allowed to get to close? That's a question. Did the security detail not know they would be going into a hostile situation. That's another question. If they did know why did they use limo they did? Wouldn't something a bit more discreet been more in order? Last night American TV ("Entertainment Tonight") reported the car was used by the late Queen Mother and was specifically geared not to have much acceleration and was designed to go slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom