The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
In about ten years time these students will be dentists, doctors, lawyers, vets, politicians and goodness knows what else. In another ten years after that, they will tut tut when the new batch of uni students protest. Tis the circle of life I guess. Now if they were really smart they would have organised a first rate lobby group to lobby parliament against raising fees or paying for it in other ways.
Now just maybe that would be a good project for pre law students at the uni. Excellent idea.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
There is no more reason to be ashamed of attacking the royal family as the regular guy next door.It is shameful to attack innocent people no matter who they are. It is the royal house's security detail's job to make sure the royal family does not get into this situation.

It appears to have been a complete break-down of security considerations and planning.

Civil disobedience will always be a way for people to say they are disatisfied. It is a very important part of being a democracy. It is all of ours responsibility to take care of our personal safety. The royal house failed miserably.
Talk about blaming the victim! There is a difference between a march and a riot. The rioters were adults and responsible for their actions. To say "the royal house failed" because there is a riot in the streets is ridiculous. Riots are not a part of a democracy or a republic. There's freedom of speech and then there is violence.

Certainly I would think that it would be prudent to check what is going on in the streets before you send the Prince of Wales and his wife (or anyone else, for that matter) through those streets, but let's not say the rioters were somehow within their rights to smash windows on any car, let alone one with people inside who could have been seriously injured.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Royal Highness

The tuition were hurtld out of orbit three times what they were hence many could not afford to go and their futures are in jeopardy.Many have stated that the studenst are engaing in criminal activity and I have to agree but I have to also add that what is being done to them by hiking thier fees is also criminal.
There is no point lobbying anyone because the difference between the rich and poor widens as we speak aroud the globe.It is obscene what the royals have and what the students do not have.Charles and Camilla seem to have been targeted first on the list of the BRF and if security measures are not in place I expect more for the wedding.
The idea of a royal wedding is like a Roman orgy flaunted in the face of these students as well.Tuition hasn't ever been free . Before 1964 if your daddy was not rich you could not apply for a student loan either as they were not in place.Maybe Charles instead of being a "green Prince" could find ways to assist the students get their monies to go. to university because those young people are not on the gravy train of the BRF.
University education in Canada is no longer a privilege but a "human right".I do not think that any members of the BFF will be impervious to anything the students think of next.They certainly got the attention of Prince Charles in that the message is clear.Hope Charles and Camilla are ok however.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

First of all where were simple security measures? These people did not appear out of thin air. Yes, they are young and angry and, probably, frightened, as to how they will meet these costs. Attacking anyone is not the answer, but anger itself is very volitile. They did get press. Jaya is correct, anger will be directed at the "haves", especially the "haves" they did not earn it.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Courtier

These are great photos of Charles and Camilla; they seem to be enjoying each others company and also their guests; what a lovely couple indeed!

Oops, wrong post! These are not the photos I was referring to, but rather the ones in the garden!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Now this is the DM taking it too far,
Marriages, affairs, fatherhood: How Charles's life has been told through his Christmas cards | Mail Online
Old 12-11-2010, 03:38 AM
Royal Highness

Bah typical Richard Kay's trash. At least the conclusuion is not so bad (from Richard Kay)...

"Thirty years of Christmas cards, but none quite compares with the spontaneity, happiness and, yes, love, that is shown in this year’s offering. How relaxed compared with so many of those earlier, formal snaps that marked the Diana years. Is this the year that Charles, now 62, and with an engaged son, has finally found contentment with himself?"
Old 12-11-2010, 04:41 AM
Serene Highness

Prince Charles and Camilla had nothing to do with the rising university tuitions. To attack them because of this is crazy. They unfortunately were in the wrong place at the wrong time so the angry crowd turned their anger on them.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic....this isn't a discussion forum to discuss the pros and cons of stated provided tutition, etc.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Gentry

First, they crowds were wrong. Attacking a car containing Charles and Camilla probably did nothing to help their cause and just made them look foolish
Were the crowds allowed to get to close? That's a question. Did the security detail not know they would be going into a hostile situation. That's another question. If they did know why did they use limo they did? Wouldn't something a bit more discreet been more in order? Last night American TV ("Entertainment Tonight") reported the car was used by the late Queen Mother and was specifically geared not to have much acceleration and was designed to go slow
Old 12-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

My understanding now is that a reconnaisance was made of the route several minutes before the car left Clarence House which sounds as if it's a normal thing to do. In the intervening minutes, things changed and I suspect that because routes taken by royal cars are not lined with police, no one was able to warn the driver or whoever should have been warned to take an alternative route.

Although the car's windows may not have been bullet proof (which I think they should be in future) they would have been reinforced glass. However, I am not sure you can get a small discreet bullet proof car and at least the car used gave some protection, which a normal car would not have done.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Administrator

If TRF members wish to discuss the protests in London, please do so here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...don-29498.html

Let's try to stay on topic....the Current Events of Charles and Camilla.

Any and all posts that don't have anything to do with the current events will be deleted.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Moderator Emeritus

UK says attack students made 'contact' with royals - Yahoo! News

Student protesters made physical contact with the wife of Prince Charles during an attack on the couple's car that has sparked a review of royal security, a British government minister said Sunday.

Home Secretary Theresa May told Sky News that "there was contact made," although she would not confirm reports Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, had been poked with a stick through an open car window.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Majesty

I sincerely hope that the person who made the contact is found and charges laid.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:32 PM
Courtier

I don't think too highly of this royal pair, but this appears to have completely terrified Camilla and I feel a great deal of sympathy for that situation.

Hope they both threw back a stiff cocktail when they got back to their digs. Maybe two.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAPretender View Post
I don't think too highly of this royal pair, but this appears to have completely terrified Camilla and I feel a great deal of sympathy for that situation.

Hope they both threw back a stiff cocktail when they got back to their digs. Maybe two.
I agree.. They should have had better security as well. After all where is the British taxpayers money going if not to protect them against this sort of thing.
Demonstration against policy is a very normal part of society but I think some of them took it a bit too far. Shouting is one thing but poking or touching someone is another.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
...Shouting is one thing but poking or touching someone is another.
I totally agree, you are spot on!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Depending on your sense of humour you might find this funny.

Mac on... the use of water cannon to control student riots | Mail Online
Old 12-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Nobility

Charles and Camilla were undertaking one of many public duties. This is a long-standing theatre event (a Royal Command Performance) which gives support to the performing arts. The UK is a constitutional democracy, therefore the Royal Family is not involved in political decisions. It is the polititians who take these decisions. To suggest in any way that it was appropriate to attack them (as many of the protesters have) shows a total lack of understanding of our politics and confirms that these demonstrations have been hijacked by those who have no wish to support the democratic process.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Nobility

Loved the Mac cartoon!!

Closed Thread