The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Video from CNN
Tuition hike protesters attack car carrying Prince Charles, Camilla - CNN.com

Old 12-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Commoner

Lumutqueen: Of course neither Charles nor Camilla have any governmental power. Perhaps instead of saying they are symbols of governmental power I should have said they are seen by many as symbols of the establishment, or of the existing power structure in the United Kingdom, or that perhaps the mob, not thinking clearly due to its anger, perceived them to be symbols of governmental power. I do maintain, however, that it is not necessary to hold actual power to be perceived as being symbolic of power.

You seem to counter my suggestion that Charles and Camilla were attacked because they were conveniently located near angry people by saying "They riots weren't supposed to be in Regent Street, where the car was attacked, and hardly anyone would have known the Royal Variety Performance was occuring tonight." This would seem to suggest that this riot is one of the more organized sort ('alright, we're going to riot on Oak Street and Maple Avenue, but no rioting on Peach Street, okay'). A well-organized and orderly riot, what a delightfully English concept!

I was merely suggesting--in, admittedly, a rather more prolix manner--that the couple were, in the words of the trite expression "in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Old 12-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Royal Highness

Video of this "event"

Just appaling...

Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Commoner

Regarding the Daily Mail's coverage: a headline reads Scotland Yard resort to 'kettling' in Parliament Square
What's 'kettling'?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
CTV Toronto - Demonstrators kick car carrying Prince Charles - CTV News
On a (very) lighter note, it's very heartwarming to see the POW protecting like this his darling wife...
Old 12-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
On a (very) lighter note, it's very heartwarming to see the POW protecting like this his darling wife...
Yes, it is. He might be the heir to the throne but when it was just the two of them his thought was to protect his wife. Nice.

It is appalling that they did come under attack like that. Think it was probably a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but what if the crowd had been larger and had comprised a larger number of violent types?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

It really must have been frightening...Charles confirms the very good opinion I have of him !
Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Camilla still looks shaken up inside the theatre
Red-hot Kylie greets Prince Charles with a big smile at The Palladium after his terrifying car attack on way to the Royal Variety Show | Mail Online
Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

The young people were hardly anarchists, as the article implies. No, this was not a proper protest, but "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". Harry Truman knew that when you have power, you, also, have to deal with some of the crap. It is, probably, very difficult for young people who have no idea how they will pay this much higher tuition, see people who do nothing for a living, live high off the hog. Of course, it still was not right.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Heir Apparent

CHARLES AND CAMILLA ATTACK: How did they get so close? | Mail Online
Old 12-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

'Off with their heads'. I guess this would not be indicitave of the sources of the recent article indicating that 'the nation was warming to Charles and Camilla (as Queen)'. I'd bet my Palace that should it have been QEII, she would have passed by unmolested because people respect her. Charles and Camilla...not so much if tonight is any representation.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
'Off with their heads'. I guess this would not be indicitave of the sources of the recent article indicating that 'the nation was warming to Charles and Camilla (as Queen)'. I'd bet my Palace that should it have been QEII, she would have passed by unmolested because people respect her. Charles and Camilla...not so much if tonight is any representation.
Seriously?

I know you don't care for Charles and/or Camilla...you make no bones about that and you are certainly entitled to that opinion

BUT

let's not speculate that the same thing wouldn't have happened to the Queen. The fact is it was a bad situation and the couple were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Frankly, anyone driving in a luxury car might have had the same experience without the benefit of police protection officers. So let's not tie this to the belief that the nation doesn't want Camilla to be Queen.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Royal Highness

How in the heck was or is anyone allowed to get that close????? I am sorry...it is not as though protesters just jumped out.. The police, MI6, and Scotland are to blame. This would NEVER happen to the President of the United States..to get that CLOSE to the car?? No excuse! This politically correct, lax BS, about being terrified of using force...hey, you get that close...you could get shot. The Secret Service would never allow that...their motto: You protect the President at all costs.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Seriously?

I know you don't care for Charles and/or Camilla...you make no bones about that and you are certainly entitled to that opinion

BUT

let's not speculate that the same thing wouldn't have happened to the Queen. The fact is it was a bad situation and the couple were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Frankly, anyone driving in a luxury car might have had the same experience without the benefit of police protection officers. So let's not tie this to the belief that the nation doesn't want Camilla to be Queen.
'Off with their heads' was what the guy banging on the car breaking the window was shouting over and over again if you watch that posted youtube. Not that it was my personal gig. I certainly dont like that twosome, but I dont wish Mme La Guilliotine on anyone!
Old 12-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Yes, the man did state that over and over again.

However, my comment had to do with your suggestion (as most of your posts do) where you try to tie in the lack of support of Camilla being Queen with the incident at hand.

And i am of the belief that the two have nothing to do with each other.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Aristocracy

Why did their people not protect them better? The protests were on the news for hours. Wouldn't it have been best to put them in a more low key car so no one would try to harm them?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This situation was one I think that really got out of hand and the mood spread like wildfire once it had begun. In times of chaos, people are not thinking rationally and then again you have some that join in the melee just because they get carried away by the adrenalin of the crowd. I don't believe that Camilla and Charles were targets personally but should it have been anyone in such a car be it the Queen, a lesser royal, Sir Paul McCartney or even Bozo the Clown, they would have been a target.

I remember well the riots of Detroit in Black July '67 and how a relatively small event grew into an ungodly mess. By the time the wildfire has caught on, most people had forgotten what the heck started it all in the first place.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I have a feeling that the incident would have progressed the same way with any member of the RF in the car. I think it was the symbol of monarchy and wealth and elitism which very conveniently presented itself at that moment that was under attack, not the individuals inside the car. But one "off with their heads" extremist agitator does not a revolution make.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps it is speculation to wonder what reception another member of the BRF would have recieved tonight. However, it was Camilla and Charles who ,in fact, received this reception from the people tonight. Apparantly I am not the only person not thrilled with those two. I didnt hear anyone shouting God Save Charles and Camilla (or anything else even mildly supportive), did anyone else? I'd also love to see any positive statistical data that there is a majority of support in the population for Camilla being Queen. All of the polling data year after year and the responses on Facebook and the responses to the various newspaper articles indicate that the majority of people are on the same page I am on. No Queen Camilla. I realize that a lot of posters on this board just LOVE her. But that is not representative of the rest of the population, IMO.... nor is it borne out statistically.

Closed Thread