The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
That really is very touching. Ah but I forgot, these two are cold and emotionless...

Charles and Camilla are probably the royals one comes to like more as they know more. (Well, at least, that's the case with me.)

Old 07-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
Charles and Camilla are probably the royals one comes to like more as they know more. (Well, at least, that's the case with me.)
Same here. Totally agree. What a joy to watch - they do wear well (not the case with others). One of the few couples, both singly and as a couple, that I'd love to have conversation with over a sit-down meal.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Commoner

Say what you will about their past lives, they seem to be some people that I personally could have a good time with some afternoon. They are sincere and I think that counts for a lot, at least with me.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'd definately like to have tea with Camilla. I bet she'd be big fun. For some reason, I think she would have a quick and wicked sense of humor. Perfect for a fun afternoon.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, visited the Tottenham Green leisure
centre close the scene of last weeks riots. They spoke to local residents whos homes
had been destroyed or damaged during the riots, August 17, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga gallery **

** BBC video: Prince Charles and Camilla visit riot-hit Tottenham **

Pics without watermarks can be found here:

** gettyimages/reters/daylife gallery **
Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Royal Highness

Good for them ! A very strong gesture imo.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Administrator

A very lovely thing to do. Camilla look gorgeous! I love the color, the cut, everything.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Royal Highness

More from Skynews :

Prince Charles And Camilla Visit Tottenham and Hackney To See Impact Of Last Week's Rioting | UK News | Sky News
Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Aristocracy

That was such a nice for them to do and I'm sure that their visit lifted the spirits of those they met.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

London riots: Prince Charles and Camilla hugged by families who lost their homes to fires during riots | Mail Online

Its good that he visits and he has already done a lot through Princes Trust but still I think the "cry for help" statement is a bit out of touch. It clearly showed that it was rather a "cry for Plasma-TVs", as stated in the article. It wasnt protest but the attitude to have what everybody seems entited to - no need to work hard for it, like the royals or politicians give example every day.
Because those yobs didnt have the black amex they went shopping with the flamethrower instead.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Majesty

This was a very thoughtful and lovely gesture. I'm sure people effected by the riots were more than appreciative, and the visit may have helped lift some spirits. Love the Duchess's look as well. Very elegant.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
London riots: Prince Charles and Camilla hugged by families who lost their homes to fires during riots | Mail Online

Its good that he visits and he has already done a lot through Princes Trust but still I think the "cry for help" statement is a bit out of touch. It clearly showed that it was rather a "cry for Plasma-TVs", as stated in the article. It wasnt protest but the attitude to have what everybody seems entited to - no need to work hard for it, like the royals or politicians give example every day.
Because those yobs didnt have the black amex they went shopping with the flamethrower instead.
I assume that you read past the actual heading to the words Charles himself actually used - 'joining gangs is a cry for help' - not that the riots were but that joining the gangs and thus being called up into the riots was. It is easy to take a phrase out of context and it changes the entire meaning of what was said.

Charles has already promised millions of pounds to help in these areas, through the Prince's Trust and has already done more in the area than the government.

The news on one of our morning TV channels down here had one of the British royal reporters and he said that Charles has been 'champing at the bit' to get to the riot areas to see for himself and to bring comfort etc - but that he had been stopped from going earlier by the government. A caring man who can't always do what he wants when he wants because he has to fit in with government policy. Even what he said would be previewed by the government for approval.

He is correct in that, particularly in Britain, it is very clear that there is a large percentage of the youth who don't feel part of any community. Unfortunately over the last few decades young people have been taught that they have rights but the idea of responsibilities has been left out of the equation.

This is the second major riots I can think of in Britain within the last 9 months and I simply wonder when will the next ones come - how soon and where - not if.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Nobility

gangs

Agree with what he said about joining gangs.We have a gang problem here. It is a failure of the family unit and a failure of the larger community to respond. Add to that record companies glorifying killing, banging, and keeping your h**in check by hitting her it is no wonder young men don't know how to be men.

And its not just a black thing. White kids are caught up in this mess too.

But the riot thing-whats's up? The crowd that rioted and attacked his car were college students. Why is mob violence being used more and more to address social ills. At best it should be a last resort.

Sad part is just like the Watts riot -people are destroying their own neighborhoods, and innocent people are being hurt.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:10 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreats View Post
Agree with what he said about joining gangs.We have a gang problem here. It is a failure of the family unit and a failure of the larger community to respond. Add to that record companies glorifying killing, banging, and keeping your h**in check by hitting her it is no wonder young men don't know how to be men.

And its not just a black thing. White kids are caught up in this mess too.

But the riot thing-whats's up? The crowd that rioted and attacked his car were college students. Why is mob violence being used more and more to address social ills. At best it should be a last resort.

Sad part is just like the Watts riot -people are destroying their own neighborhoods, and innocent people are being hurt.
I think when we look at your statements, we can really understand more why Charles works so hard through his Prince's Trust foundations working with young people and communities. I can imagine that its really hit him hard to see all he's trying to do for communities set back with the mass hysteria and violence neighborhoods have sustained with these recent riots.

Both Camilla and Charles didn't visit for anything PR or as a "duty" I think. They went there because they really do care what is happening with these communities and I will bet next week's donuts that somehow, Charles will find a way to work even harder to try and ensure that something like this doesn't happen again easily.

Damn... I admire that man.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I assume that you read past the actual heading to the words Charles himself actually used - 'joining gangs is a cry for help' - not that the riots were but that joining the gangs and thus being called up into the riots was. It is easy to take a phrase out of context and it changes the entire meaning of what was said.

Charles has already promised millions of pounds to help in these areas, through the Prince's Trust and has already done more in the area than the government.

The news on one of our morning TV channels down here had one of the British royal reporters and he said that Charles has been 'champing at the bit' to get to the riot areas to see for himself and to bring comfort etc - but that he had been stopped from going earlier by the government. A caring man who can't always do what he wants when he wants because he has to fit in with government policy. Even what he said would be previewed by the government for approval.

He is correct in that, particularly in Britain, it is very clear that there is a large percentage of the youth who don't feel part of any community. Unfortunately over the last few decades young people have been taught that they have rights but the idea of responsibilities has been left out of the equation.

This is the second major riots I can think of in Britain within the last 9 months and I simply wonder when will the next ones come - how soon and where - not if.
Yes I did and I agree with most you said, in my post I have recognized Charles' efforts. I dont believe that joining a gang is necessarily a cry for help, being in a gang as associated with crime, violence, murder etc may be everyday reality for some, but many "normal" people were involved who were hanging out bored & frustrated, just jumping on the bandwaggon of what a few "gangs" or rioters may have started.
What I wanted to say is that especially royalty - in line with politicians and bankers - are mainly to blame for the attitude that many young people - who are not necessarily involved in "gangs" - have today - being entiteled to everything without having to achieve anything - because they read everyday what kind of self-service shop the UK has become - be it the banker's bonuses, the politician's expenses or the Royal Family's excesses, maybe not so much Charles but - it may be a clichee but still - especially the young royals who are being portayed as holidaying or partying all the time, getting the jobs they want without necessarily being qualified or Andrew, making generous use of taxpayer's money through his ambassador's job or in private "Airmiles Andy" or mingling with shady millionaires. Some may think this is off topic but I think this attitude is exactly what is part of the problem today.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Majesty

Oh, now I understand! Royalty, possibly excluding Prince Charles, are responsible for the culture of greed and general moral turpitude. Not that you average yob reads the Newspapers or watches the TV new, but what the hell, it's their fault.

Are you sure they are not actually responsible for the World Wide Recession, the re-emergence of MMR and the advent of AIDS?

Never mind, I am sure you will be one of the first to man the barricades come the revolution! What's that you say? You don't actually have a royal family?

Why am I not surprised!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Oh, now I understand! Royalty, possibly excluding Prince Charles, are responsible for the culture of greed and general moral turpitude. Not that you average yob reads the Newspapers or watches the TV new, but what the hell, it's their fault.

Are you sure they are not actually responsible for the World Wide Recession, the re-emergence of MMR and the advent of AIDS?

Never mind, I am sure you will be one of the first to man the barricades come the revolution! What's that you say? You don't actually have a royal family?

Why am I not surprised!
I said that the attitude of some royals, many politicians and many bankers have contributed very well to what has happened in England and I stand by that statement.
Besides, I have lived in London for many years to witness this development myself - sorry that now living in Germany and "not having a royal family" seems to disqualify me from having a valid opinion
Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Majesty

Spletnik -Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, visited Londond districts affected by riots.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Royal Highness

Another video from yesterday :

!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Serene Highness

These videos are remarkable for the fact that Charles really does have insight based upon his years of working in the way he has. He is very much stepping into his future role - it is heartening to see - I for one am always impressed with him. He has really made himself relevant in a way unique to any Prince of Wales before him - so that a journalist would ask a question of him about solutions. Can't tell you how impressive the man comes across to someone from another country.

Good man. Well done.

Closed Thread