Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 25: September 2008-August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And it's a signal how happy they are that Cornwall has a Duchess after so many years/decades/centuries without one! She really made that title her own and it sems that this pleases her husband. We'll never know (probably) how much it hurt Charles to have been chosen for his title and not for himself in his first marriage, but now we see how happy this man is for being chosen for himself and not for the title of "The Princess of Wales" as his wife is content with being known as a duchess.

Jo, what do you mean it was centuries since Cornwall had a Duchess? Surely it was only 7 years between the death of the last one and the marriage to the present one?

And Queen Mary would have been Duchess of Cornwall and York at one time.:ermm: Perhaps Jo means that no-one else has used Duchess of Cornwall as her primary title.

Jo, what do you mean it was centuries since Cornwall had a Duchess? Surely it was only 7 years between the death of the last one and the marriage to the present one?

They both had the same titles

Jo doesn't quite get how titles works. Diana had every single title Camilla has and vice versa. Diana was The Duchess of Cornwall, along with all the other titles. Camilla just chooses to use a subsidiary title to the Princess of Wales title. So, it had only been a little over 7 years between the usage of that title.

Jo doesn't quite get how titles works. Diana had every single title Camilla has and vice versa. Diana was The Duchess of Cornwall, along with all the other titles. Camilla just chooses to use a subsidiary title to the Princess of Wales title. So, it had only been a little over 7 years between the usage of that title.
Oh, I'd beg to differ about what Jo "gets". She "gets" a lot.:D
But I thank you, Seajat, for the clairification of what Jo means.

and this position is only forced on Camilla because a section of the british public & the American press think that Diana was the reincarnation of the virgin Mary! :lol::lol:

Reincarnation of the Virgin Mary? Hardly. Remembered with affection. Yes.:flowers:

and this position is only forced on Camilla because a section of the british public & the American press think that Diana was the reincarnation of the virgin Mary! :lol::lol:

The Duke of Cornwall title is NOT a subsidiary title to the Prince of Wales title.

Charles has been Duke of Cornwall since February 6th, 1952 as he inherited that title on the death of his grandfather and William will inherit that title immediately on the death of his (William's) grandmother.

The title Earl of Chester is a subsidiary title to that of Prince of Wales as is was created at the same time but is a lesser title.

The Duke of Cornwall is the senior inherited title of the heir to the throne and eldest son of the monarch. The Prince of Wales title is one that is created and can be given to any male who is the heir to the throne e.g. George III was never Duke of Cornwall even though he was heir to the throne as he was never the eldest son of the monarch but he was created Prince of Wales.

Subsidiary titles are those that are created at the same time as a main title and not the cheif title that is inherited e.g. if Charles choses not to create William Prince of Wales he will still be Duke of Cornwall and thus the Duke of Cornwall title is NOT a subsidiary title to that of Prince of Wales.

As for Diana - she used the Duchess of Cornwall title herself when in Cornwall just as Charles uses the Duke of Cornwall title in Cornwall today and the Duke of Rothesay title when in Scotland. The Prince of Wales title is used in England, Wales and the rest of the world but not in Cornwall or Scotland. The Cornish people were very aware that Diana was their Duchess and that she used that title when in Cornwall - as have Duchesses of Cornwall down through the ages.

Once again, it's all the fault of the Diana fans, correct?

Once again, it's all the fault of the Diana fans, correct?
Camilla seem like a very sensible person and a mother so perhaps she choose to not use the same title as William and Harry's mother. It makes complete sense to distinguish herself and by using the Duchess of Cornwall she has done that.

Let's leave Diana and what her marriage to Charles was like out of Charles and Camilla's current events thread please.

I honestly don't know why some of our posters never seem to get tired of the constant bickering. :nonono:

And Queen Mary would have been Duchess of Cornwall and York at one time.:ermm: Perhaps Jo means that no-one else has used Duchess of Cornwall as her primary title.
I too think Jo means that Camilla is the only one who has chosen to use the title as her primary title, possibly to avoid any upset to William and Harry. She has the title that means the most to her IMO, that of Mrs Charles Windsor.

William will not become Duke of Cornwall if Charles should predecease his mother.

I honestly don't know why some of our posters never seem to get tired of the constant bickering. :nonono:
Perhaps for some it is not the season of Goodwill to all men and women!:whistling::flowers:

I really do not see how posts 151 on have anything to do with Charles and Camilla current events. Someone was nice enough to post great Christmas day service photos and we are back to the bickering over Camilla's title. This time over should she be the DOC. It seems ever since that Court Circular article the knives have been out. It's not that serious. This is a great forum but this kind of 'stuff' takes away from it. I know this is off topic Warren and will probably go into the delete pile -that's okay. Everyone have a blessed day.

Well the first Duke of Cornwall was Edward the Black Prince but in literature, the most famous Duchess of Cornwall had to be King Arthur's mother, Ygraine. The title, Duke of Cornwall, probably had an older history than that of the Prince of Wales.

Sthreats, As post (s) 151, I take it you mean me? I was simply replying to Jo's assertion that it had been centuries since there was a Duchess of Cornwall, which was certainly untrue. Is that no longer allowed here? It's pretty obvious that the factual truth is of no interest to some.

Scooter. I meant all the posts since the Christmas Day post. It seems that her title issues should be in the title thread. Some of us just go to a current events. When I want to go into a deep historical issue, I go to a different thread. Have a good holiday week.

Very interesting. Camilla received a "set of jewellery" from a member of the Brunei royal family. Wonder what that might be?
Very, very nice I expect! :D

What a wonderful understatement Sky...... :D

In comparison to many of the other items appearing in the list, the brevity of the description and lack of detail in "a set of jewellery" seems deliberately vague.
We may not see whatever it is for some time; Prince Al-Waleed presented Camilla with three "sets" of jewels when she and the POW visited Saudi Arabia: one sapphire, one ruby and one emerald. We've seen the first two (remember the "ruby breastplate necklace"?) but have yet to sight the third.

In comparison to many of the other items appearing in the list, the brevity of the description and lack of detail in "a set of jewellery" seems deliberately vague.
We may not see whatever it is for some time; Prince Al-Waleed presented Camilla with three "sets" of jewels when she and the POW visited Saudi Arabia: one sapphire, one ruby and one emerald. We've seen the first two (remember the "ruby breastplate necklace"?) but have yet to sight the third.

True. Though it may well be that the emeralds are even less wearable than the rubies were!

Or a light green or yellow outfit!

Perhaps she is not terribly keen on Emeralds.:D

Too bad. I think her coloring looks best when she wears jewel tone colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom