Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 25: September 2008-August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are possibly the worst sketches I’ve ever seen. :ohmy: :ROFLMAO:

Sarah Brown’s is probably the best of them, actually. The Michelle and Barack Obama sketch is so hideous it’s almost funny. If the captions didn't point out who they were, I'd have never recognized Dalai Lama and Bob Geldof.
Charles and Camilla look like they have spaghetti instead of hair. :D

Not only spaghetti instead of hair, it looks like Camilla has a nose ring. But I guess it should be taken with ease. Bruni probably didn't mean to insult anyone with her paintings although they're not very flattering

Pics 1.12.2009

The Prince of Wales, Colonel of the Welsh Guards, and The Duchess of
Cornwall arrive at Lille Barracks, Aldershot, home of the 1st Battalion,
Welsh Guards to present long service and campaign medals. TRH were
met by Colonel Sandy Malcolm. The 1st Battalion Welsh Guards have
recently returned from a six month tour of duty in Afghanistan.
December 1, 2009.

Impressive hat ;)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages ** belga **

My initial reaction to Camilla's hat was that it was one of the most ridiculous things I had recently seen. However, once I had a second look, I realised it worked for Camilla and she has managed to carry it off!

Last edited by a moderator:
She pulls it of wonderfully, it suits her. :flowers:
Wonderful pictures thank you.

An article from the Daily Mail in relation to today's engagement and Camilla's hat.

Snap! Camilla's hat matches Bearskin Guard's as she presents medals to soldiers after Afghanistan tour | Mail Online

And of course, its always followed by the same catty DM comments. Honestly, I am not sure why I continue to read this paper.

-----------------------

All she was missing was a shiny brass saxophone or a French horn.

For with temperatures plunging as Britain was hit by another cold snap, Camilla Parker-Bowles sensibly plumped for a cosy fur hat to keep her warm while out and about today.
But while her head was no doubt toasty and warm, the Duchess of Cornwall ended up looking like the latest recruit when she stepped up to present medals to Bearskin Guards today and realised they were all wearing disconcertingly similar outfits.

What an odd article. They made it sound like Camilla didn't know what their uniforms would look like... I'm sure at least her dresser knew what they would look like. And I do like Camilla's boots.

I'm not sure about the PoW's portrait. It seems rather informal the way he's sprawled in the chair, in uniform, and there's something wrong with the face.

No, no, no, no, no! Leave the bear skins to the Guards!

I wonder if the hat was a gift from the Guards.

Pics 2.12.2009

Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall at a reception following
the presentation of medals for service in Afghanistan at Sandringham
House on December 2, 2009. Norfolk, England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

An article from the Daily Mail in relation to today's engagement and Camilla's hat.

Snap! Camilla's hat matches Bearskin Guard's as she presents medals to soldiers after Afghanistan tour | Mail Online

And of course, its always followed by the same catty DM comments. Honestly, I am not sure why I continue to read this paper.
I love you choice of words . . . . . "Catty", so very descriptive, emotive, accurate! :devil2:

You read it because it's "In Your Face"! Trying to keep the pressure on and leave their mark in History.:deadhorse:

Cold alone would not stop a plane/train/helicopter. I think a more acurate title would be Camilla chooses not to go to Birkhall because of the cold, rather than they were 'kept apart'. Certainly she could easily have gone to join him, had she been inclined to.

Cold alone would not stop a plane/train/helicopter. I think a more acurate title would be Camilla chooses not to go to Birkhall because of the cold, rather than they were 'kept apart'. Certainly she could easily have gone to join him, had she been inclined to.
I guess you don't read the papers or watch the British news. Amazing that you think you know what the Duchess is thinking without bothering to find the facts.

Most of the train services have been disrupted, the west coast line wasn't running. The roads are blocked by heavy and drifting snow, especially in Scotland and Aberdeen airport has had to cancel flights, you can get it all from the BBC website if you can't access any of the papers. The police have asked people not to travel unless it is a matter of life or death!

Apart from the papers I know the weather is really bad in Scotland because my sister and her boyfriend are stuck up there for the time being.:cool:

:previous: Maybe Camilla has seen "No Highway in the Sky" and was worried about the plane's tail falling off because of the cold.:lol:

Though she might have been able to physically overcome the elements and made it to Birkhall, in all the circumstances I don't think it's unreasonable if she just didn't want to, and I consider it's fair to blame the weather. After all, what would be the point of leaving one freezing cold place covered in snow to travel to another equally unpleasant place when her current freezing cold snowy place is her comfy home near her daughter and new grandbabies. I live in the subtropics and cannot even begin to imagine what it's like to be in a place that is -20 or something equally hideous. :igloo: *brrrrrrr*

ETA I was still typing this when Viki J posted.

'Cold alone' wouldn't but at the moment Britain is snowed under. Schools are closed, people can't get to work, flights are being cancelled, trains are being cancelled and the entire country is at standstill due to the extreme weather conditions.n Taking a helicopter up in these conditions would also be extremely dangerous.

Camilla has also recently become the grandmother of twins and is probably having a great time spending time with these two new additions to her family.

If I was in Britian at the moment I most certainly wouldn't be making any attempts to travel anywhere due to safety concerns, for myself and for others who might have to be travelling despite the conditions.

Spend a bit of time reading the articles from this link

BBC NEWS | Special Reports | Frozen Britain

It is the longest cold snap in over 30 years and Britian is struggling to cope.

Another article:

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Big freeze continues as 8ins is on its way-

This one even reports 23 deaths due to the cold. This isn't a normal winter in Britian but extremely cold for Britain. Some countries experience this every year and thus are prepared for it but Britain doesn't and therefore is finding it difficult to cope. This extreme cold is also hitting other parts of Europe that don't normally get this cold for this long.

And another:

Windchill Saturday: Icy blast makes Britain feel even colder as snow decimates sport and councils are told to ration their grit | Mail Online

This one has details of the cancellations of flights and trains as well as pictures of cars stuck in the snow.

Not going to Scotland is a prudent move as it means that Camilla is aware of the dangers involved and doesn't wish to put an added strain on services at the moment to get her to her husband at this time - assuming that there ever was an intention for her to go to Scotland rather than spend this time with her new grandchildren and her daughter.

She has her own family as well as the royal family and does spend time with them, as any mother should do.

I can just see the headlines if she insisted on going: 'Camilla puts staff at risk to reach Charles' and wouldn't you have a field day then claiming that she was inconsiderate and selfish. There are some people who only wish to find fault with Camilla no matter what she does.

Camilla is doing the right thing - for her, for Charles (imagine his distress if something happened to her trying to reach him) and for those people who have to accompany her wherever she goes - she is staying put.

:previous:
How wonderful, I saw the Tornado on the Top Gear program and its a beautiful machine. :)

Pics 29.1.2010

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Charles during a service in the
High Street of Wootton Basset on January 29, 2010 in Wootton Bassett,
England.
They wanted to thank the people of Wotton Bassett for their unstinting
support of the Armed Forces over the past two years. Hundreds of
residents and war veterans dutifully line the streets of the Wiltshire
town in silence as funeral corteges regularly pass through the High
Street during repatriation ceremonies.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

** zimbio/gettyimages gallery **

Thanks Iceflower for posting the pictures. I like Camilla's hat.

Amazing that you think you know what the Duchess is thinking without bothering to find the facts.

Vicki, please quote exactly where it was that that I amazingly think I know what the Duchess is thinking without bothering to find the facts. I dont even attempt to understand Camilla or Charles' rationalizations or thoughts, nor have I ever claimed to. I simply point out that the weather did not stop anyone else from getting on a plane, etc to join the rest of their family, period. Honestly, I would have been more in her camp if she said I have new grandchildren and I want to stay with them. But that would have made CHarles appear selfish for leaving his 'true love' alone while she stayed with her twin grandchildren while Charles went off. Somethings never change. Camilla seems to put up with his selfishness better than I certainly ever would.

Let's go back to the UK weather during the relevant period, your claim that it didn't stop anyone else getting on a plane, shows a lack of knowledge of the weather conditions from January 4th when the airports were shut, the trains weren't running, schools were closed and although people were due back at work they were advised to stay home. That's the week Camilla was due to go up to Scotland! One of my UK friends couldn't go to work for all of that week as the roads were dangerous, the UK was running out of road grit and salt so only main roads were cleared.

To put all this 'Charles is selfish, Camilla puts up with it' rhetoric is ridiculous, in Scotland in particular there were numerous stories of people who were trapped as they went out shopping and then couldn't get back home as the road were too dangerous and the police closed them!
We don't know what conversation Charles and Camilla had perhaps he wanted to stay south and she said no, go up to Scotland and I'll join you later. Just later, the weather made it too dangerous.

Besides which, when the weather did clear Camilla did go up to Scotland and help Charles co-host a reception for locals at Birkhall according to the Court Circular. In any case it wasn't as if Charles was left alone over New Year because William & Kate Middleton were there with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom