Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 25: September 2008-August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear! :lol::lol: Mr F & Mr M do look a bit like startled rabbits; like they've been caught doing something they shouldn't have been doing in public in that carriage. I can well imagine C&C, fuelled by a few g&ts, breaking into fits of giggles and and scribbling away merrily. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they arranged to buy the thing and take it out of circulation though.

silly plate.

Oh God yes and I always refer to myself as an old queen so I know the feeling! And you're right, Charles and Camilla were probably pissed at the time and poof was widely used back then. It's my 21st century gay-lib reflex reacting!!

Well some words are just offensive-its okay to have a reaction.
But back to the plate-there are 3 signatures on there-charles, camilla and another parker bowles I assume andrew.

That must have been some party.

Well some words are just offensive-its okay to have a reaction.
But back to the plate-there are 3 signatures on there-charles, camilla and another parker bowles I assume andrew.
That must have been some party.

On the pic in the ´Sun´ you can see that both Charles and Camilla signed the box twice, it does not seem as if Andrew was involved.

Prince Charles & Camilla's tin joke | The Sun |News|Royals

( I think they had some fun at a party - it does not deserve more deep and serious interpretation. As Skydragon said, we all know partys like that...many years ago...:whistling:)

PARIS (AFP) — Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, were to dine Monday with France's President Nicolas Sarkozy and first lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy on the eve of Armistice Day.

November 10
AFP: Prince Charles and Camilla in Paris on eve of Armistice Day

Not sure about Madame Sarkozy's outfit but thats easy to overlook when you see how graciously she welcomed the Prince and the Duchess. A truly great First Lady. I like Camilla's outfit though I think overall the dress code of all four is a little more lunch than dinner. Still, the Sarkozys and the Waleses must get on, they've seen each other quite alot since Carla came on the scene.

glamour camilla !!! she is a really glamore women! i didn't like Mm sarkozy's outfit !
nice to see the C&C with the friensh couple again!

I think overall the dress code of all four is a little more lunch than dinner.

I think for a private dinner it´s okay and i agree the atmosphere seems to be very relaxed and friendly.

Nice pics, thank you for posting!:flowers:

I think that what's happened here is what used to happen with the Queen. Madame Sarkozy's gone for a lighter foundation than usual which with powder to set it has made her face very pale in the glare of the flashbulbs but in reality, she probably doesn't look so ghostly!

Its lovely to see pictures of Charles and Camilla with the Sarkozy's in Paris. Its also interesting to see the "warmth" between the couples, and would be interesting to see how Camilla develops on the interbational stage.

PRINCE CHARLES was today risking a backlash after agreeing to attend a controversial First World War commemoration in France.
The Prince and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, were joining European Union dignitaries at Verdun, close to the German border, to mark the 90th anniversary of the Armistice.
But the location, chosen by French President Nicolas Sarkozy and the scene of one of the bloodiest actions in military history, has angered many, including British veterans and the German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Prince Charles embroiled in row over Armistice ceremony at Verdun | News

As Henry Allingham & Bill Stone have said - Remember the dead from all sides, everyone lost sons and husbands!

As always, there are complainers. I don't think they can imagine how difficult it is to organize such a ceremony, to convoke so many heads of state and to please everyone. It's impossible to find a place famous enough where British troops fought, Germany's dignity is preserved, etc.
I think it was a very good ceremony which didn't omit anyone and Verdun remains quite a symbol.

Last edited:
PRINCE CHARLES was today risking a backlash after agreeing to attend a controversial First World War commemoration in France.
The Prince and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, were joining European Union dignitaries at Verdun, close to the German border, to mark the 90th anniversary of the Armistice.
But the location, chosen by French President Nicolas Sarkozy and the scene of one of the bloodiest actions in military history, has angered many, including British veterans and the German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Prince Charles embroiled in row over Armistice ceremony at Verdun | News

As Henry Allingham & Bill Stone have said - Remember the dead from all sides, everyone lost sons and husbands!

I haven't read anything about Mrs. Merkel's pulling out in the German media, so I guess it was over-emphasized by the reporters. Her replacement, Peter Müller is not only at the moment heading the German Bundesrat (which is the political representation of the Federal States as bodies of the Federal republic) but as soon as he is representing the Federal Republic of Germany in a foreign state he is higher ranked than the Chancellor, so he in fact is acting as our Head of State which Angela Merkel can't . So in sending him, Merkel was upgrading the event!

I personally think Verdun is a very fitting place to conmemorate all those killed soldiers in war which don't even have the "honour" of helping their own side. Those who were killed there were killed to no militarian aim at all. Poor souls, may the rest in peace.

I personally think Verdun is a very fitting place to conmemorate all those killed soldiers in war which don't even have the "honour" of helping their own side. Those who were killed there were killed to no militarian aim at all. Poor souls, may the rest in peace.

I completely concur; it's so stupid to fight over a ceremony who is, in the first place, a peace ceremony. Some apparently don't get the point or if they do, they should start reading more History books rather than tabloids.

Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, attend the ceremony marking the 90th anniversary of World War One Armistice at the ossuary of Douaumont, on Novembre 11, 2008 in Douaumont, near Verdun, eastern France.
Belga
Belga
Belga
Getty
Getty
Getty

Getty

Skydragon said:

Heaven help us all if some of the leaders of European governments get this bent out of shape about an Armistance Day memorial . . . 90 years after the event!

They would do well to take a leaf out of Mustafa Attaturk's book and aim for rapprochement, namely the ANZAC Memorial, Gallipoli, Turkey.

"The monument: A part of Turkey set aside as sacred ground to honor an army that invaded it in 1915. This monument is the result of a sublime act of magnanimity on the part of a victorious power and the fierce dedication to memory of the defeated power".

Having been to the Fort and the Ossuary in Verdun, I can honestly say that I can't think of a more fitting place for a memorial service.

On a brighter note, it was nice to see Grand Duke Henri with the party.

P.S - The Grand Duchess was there too. There is one pic of Camilla chatting to Maria and Henri;

http://img378.imageshack.us/my.php?image=83643242zi7.jpg

courtesy of AFP

Last edited:
Nice to see HE the Governor General of the Australia there, too!

:previous:
Governor-General of Australia Lady Quentyn Brice, Prime Minister of France Francois Fillon, wife of French President Nicolas Sarkozy Carla-Bruni Sarkozy, Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, German politician and President of the Bundesrat Peter Muller and Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg.
Getty
Getty
Getty

I saw yesterday evening some reports on TV about the conmemorations in Verdun. It was a moving ceremony there and i think the right place to remember all soldiers who were killed in World War I.

As Jo here said before: it isn´t true that Angela Merkel had pulled out at the last minute. She was in Poland to celebrate there the 90th anniversary of independence .( Also an event where the presence of a german political leader was important.)

Thank you for posting the articles and pics!:flowers:
The Prince and the Duchess (as ususal) cut an excellent figure!

HRH the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg knows what suits her...like with the arrival outfit worn in Sweden, this ensemble looks wonderful on her. she's striking in fur and wears pillbox hats better than most, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom