The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Alastair Campbell on the Royal family

In September Campbell had to accompany Tony Blair and Cherie to a lunch meeting with Prince Charles at Highgrove.
Campbell, who was accompanied by Lizzie McCrossan, a Downing Street secretary, complains that the whole experience "was so far back in time it felt extra-planetary".

Alastair Campbell on the Royal family | Uk News | News | Telegraph

It seems Charles showed great restraint, I would have put Campbell in the barn!

Old 07-09-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Camilla's chosen cause is primarily to support her husband, The Prince of Wales. As milla Ca has said, it is all very well doing 10 engagements in a day if nobody gets to spend time with her. At least she seems to have or read up on the various causes she supports and know something about the areas she is visiting!
I agree with most posts here about Camilla's attributes. I will never say a word of criticism about her work because I think she does a terrific job at her engagements, and she is definitely knowledgeable about her causes, most of all of course, osteoporosis, from her personal experience and readings.

Having said that, I have to express my annoyance at all this talk of her just being "there to support her husband". I think it is time now to view wives as individuals apart from just being there to "support the husband". I will grant you that Camilla would ideally strike a balance in being her own person without upstaging Prince Charles like Diana did, but going too far to the extreme (let her just support him, all about him) is maybe setting a dangerous precedent of its own.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Alastair Campbell on the Royal family

In September Campbell had to accompany Tony Blair and Cherie to a lunch meeting with Prince Charles at Highgrove.
Campbell, who was accompanied by Lizzie McCrossan, a Downing Street secretary, complains that the whole experience "was so far back in time it felt extra-planetary".

Alastair Campbell on the Royal family | Uk News | News | Telegraph

It seems Charles showed great restraint, I would have put Campbell in the barn!
Pardon my ignorance, but who is Alastair Campbell (I don't live in the UK)?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM

He was Blair's spin doctor.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Royal Highness

Well the meeting between Cherie and Pcsse Anne is an old stuff...Something new guys?
Isn't a little weird to ask to use the swimming pool during a lunch with the Prince of Wales....
Old 07-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Having said that, I have to express my annoyance at all this talk of her just being "there to support her husband". I think it is time now to view wives as individuals apart from just being there to "support the husband". I will grant you that Camilla would ideally strike a balance in being her own person without upstaging Prince Charles like Diana did, but going too far to the extreme (let her just support him, all about him) is maybe setting a dangerous precedent of its own.
That wasn't what I said, I said her chosen cause is to support her husband, his is to support her.

There is a world of difference between just being there to support him and choosing to support him. Camilla strikes me as very much being her own person, she has shown that she is able to support causes that are separate from her husband's, be in her own company and support Charles. That is how marriage is supposed to work, each giving love and support whenever it is needed and in whatever way.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I agree with most posts here about Camilla's attributes. I will never say a word of criticism about her work because I think she does a terrific job at her engagements, and she is definitely knowledgeable about her causes, most of all of course, osteoporosis, from her personal experience and readings.

I agree with CasiraghiTrio. Actually Camilla is already doing quite a few solo engagements + given 3 speeches in 1st 2 years of marriage whereas Diana only managed her 1st (5 minutes in Cardiff) after 5 years. But the problem with Diana wasn't that she overshadowed her husband in popularity but that she allowed him to do most of the work on a royal engagement & then swanned in at the end to be photographed. I saw this happen in front of my eyes on their last joint engagement outside London (31st May 1993 outside Liverpool Cathedral where they had attended a service for survivors of the WWII Battle of the Atlantic). Diana allowed Prince Charles to meet and talk to about 75% of the relatives in a line-up outside the Cathedral while she spent most of the time chatting & flirting with a royal equerry behind the Prince's back. She only joined in right at the end of the line-up when he got near the camera-men. Interestingly when they both came out to greet the crowds near their car before they drove off the crowds were equally divided between those shouting in favour of Diana and those in favour of Charles. The problem wasn't that everybody loved Diana and disapproved of Charles but that the public were split in half & that's why they couldn't continue doing engagements together. Compare all this with Charles and Camilla's joint engagements where they share the work of the engagement together & seem to enjoy each others company while they do so.

IMO all this tosh about Camilla being lazy was deliberately dreamt up by Richard Kay with the backing of the Spencer/Fellowes family faction at court, who still have power 'behind the throne' at Buckingham Palace. Lord Fellowes (Diana's brother-in-law) now holds the prestigious post of Secretary to the Queen's personal Order of Merit.

I also agree with those who say that Camilla should of course attend the Diana memorial service. She ws invited by her stepsons and it would be the highly rude if she snubbed them. I posted a comment on the Daily Mail's website, but like others it doesn't seem to have been selected. Personally I don't understand how Camilla's son Tom can still bear to work for the Daily Mail. But perhaps with a child on the way money speaks louder than words
Old 07-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by laduchesse View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but who is Alastair Campbell (I don't live in the UK)?
Here's his Wikipedia entry:

Alastair Campbell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As BeatrixFan said, he was basically Tony Blair's spin doctor, spokesman, and all around guard dog. He wasn't an elected politician.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks Elspeth and BeatrixFan for the information!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaFay View Post
IMO all this tosh about Camilla being lazy was deliberately dreamt up by Richard Kay with the backing of the Spencer/Fellowes family faction at court, who still have power 'behind the throne' at Buckingham Palace. Lord Fellowes (Diana's brother-in-law) now holds the prestigious post of Secretary to the Queen's personal Order of Merit.

Personally I don't understand how Camilla's son Tom can still bear to work for the Daily Mail. But perhaps with a child on the way money speaks louder than words
i would love to blame Richard Kay for the lazy comment but actually Mark Bolland said it. She was "monumentally lazy" and then went on to describe that a member of her family described her as " the laziest women to have been born in England in the 20th Century".

But Bolland likes to have his "fun"since he didn't get his gong so one takes that into consideration when he says things.. It was a pity CH didn't handle the situation better when Bolland left. All his "fun" could have been avoided.

I also think it is interesting Tom works for the Mail. But I guess it isn't that easy to get a food column in national newspaper and Camilla probably tells him to ignore it. I must admit for not being into food, I do like his articles.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:51 AM
Royal Highness

Sheikha Mozah meets Prince Charles
7/11/07

Sheikha Mozah met yesterday with Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall.

The Peninsula On-line: Qatar's leading English Daily
Old 07-13-2007, 04:09 PM
Courtier

Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, attend the opening of the Islamic Art Exhibition hosted by the Aga Khan at the Ismaili Centre in London, UK - July 12,

Fotobanka isifa image service
Old 07-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the nice pics hornsen!

Here are two more photos, i really like:

Charles

Camilla
Old 07-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Royal Highness

Prince Charles and Camilla , Duchess of Cornwall, visit the village of Bromham, Wiltshire
17 July

The stunning Birthday Girl

Charles and Camilla having fun

more fun

Happiness together

Camilla with a Birthday Cake
Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Aristocracy

Pictures from getty:

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 07-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Courtier

Oh dear watch out Charles!

Camilla stuns Prince Charles with knife threat | News | This is London
Old 07-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Royal Highness

Nice pictures. It's kind of hard to think that by her next birthday, she can also been known as "Grandma"!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca View Post
Charles and Camilla having fun
more fun
Happiness together
Camilla with a Birthday Cake
What lovely pictures milla Ca, Thank you. It rather puts paid to the silly article in This London. I think Camillas best birthday present is standing right next to her.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla64 View Post
from the article:
She had earlier made it clear that she did not want to be called 'Queen' if and when Charles takes the throne. Instead she wants to be known as the princess consort.
She has let it be known she is "happy" if she never becomes queen and wants only a "supporting role" in Charles's life.
´We will all have to account for our actions to our children and grand-children, and if we don´t get this right, how will they ever forgive us?´
Prince Charles in a speech, 6th December 2006
Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Nobility

Sweet pics.

They look so happy!

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales