Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 20: March-June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a minute...I thought the Shetland Islands were a dowry gift from the King of Denmark to the King of Scotland when the Danish king sent his daughter to wed the Scottish king.

Where does Norway come into it?

BeatrixFan said:
It's so lovely to see Queen Sonja and HRH kissing! They appear to be friendly cousins already.

My thoughts exactly. And the gesture seemed truly genuine. Camilla deserves it.:flowers: And she looks great as usual.

What tartan are Charles and Camilla wearing in the last pics, from the visit to the school in Edinburgh with Queen Sonja? I love how Camilla wears the tartan scarf. It is gorgeous on her. Burgundy and dark green always were the best colors on her for some reason.

This was posted by Elspeth on the previous page:

Elspeth said:
It looks like the same outfit she wore at the beginning of her honeymoon in Scotland - the fuchsia outfit with the Rothesay tartan trim.

I really like, too.:flowers:

ysbel said:
Wait a minute...I thought the Shetland Islands were a dowry gift from the King of Denmark to the King of Scotland when the Danish king sent his daughter to wed the Scottish king.

At the time the Shetland Islands were made as a gift, Norway, Denmark and Sweden were all one large territory (the Kalmar Union), as they had one king....Christian I. It was he who gave the islands to Scotland as a dowry for his daugther, Margaret. Centuries later, several kings of Denmark-Norway tried to get the lands back, but to no avail.

Also, the land belonged to the Norwegian crown to begin with. Hence why the flag of the Shetland Islands is in the shape of the Nordic cross, but in Scottish colors.

Last edited:
Many of the Shetland Islanders are of Norwegian descent and continue to speak Norwegian/Garlic/English.

Roslyn said:
I waited for your fireworks, BeatrixFan, but became impatient and lit my own :D

:fireworks:

Any news for us on the Queen Camilla documentary?
I watched it this morning on DVD and all I can say is that it would have been nice if they had managed to get one or two facts right, they pulled up the old one about the rolls being thrown at her, which has been consistently denied! It did show her being attacked when she went abroad just after Diana's death. The legend has grown further, now instead of just dancing wildly at Cirencester they were kissing in full view! :rolleyes: It was interesting to see the so called 'friends' speaking out! Brandreth finally had the decency to admit that he has never 'really spoken' about anything to Camilla, he once asked if it was true how she introduced herself to Charles and she just looked at him and walked past.

Arbiter made one of his appearances, not actually saying he knew or saw anything, just that it was rumoured and he believed it, (a bit like most old women). We had a couple of ex labour people, a couple of political commentators/presenters, about 25 Diana fanatics at KP on the morning of C&C wedding spouting abuse that said more about them than it did about Camilla, oh and Diana's ex press advisor. As you can see from the calibre of people on the programme, not a very balanced view but one that did end with a couple of people admitting that Camilla is what the monarchy needed to survive. She is discreet and very like the Queen and the Queen Mum.

Last edited:
ysbel said:

From History - Celtic, Norse, Hanseatic and Scottish influences | Visit Shetland

For over 600 years after the Viking invasions in the late 8th and early 9th centuries AD, the islands' trade, language and social life were thoroughly Norwegian.

The Norse
Shetland became the northern third of the great earldom based on Orkney during the golden age of the Vikings, chronicled in the Orkneyinga Saga - which contains numerous references to the islands.
In 1263 King Harald of Norway's fleet rendezvoused at 'Breideyarsund' (probably Bressay Sound, the 'broad islands' in the place-name being Bressay and Noss, then joined by a shallow beach at low tide) en route to the Battle of Largs, which marked the end of Norwegian domination on the west coast of Scotland.

Scandinavian Heritage
But in Shetland the Norse held sway for another 200 years, leaving thousands of place-names and dialect words which still testify to the Scandinavian influence.

Sister Morphine said:
At the time the Shetland Islands were made as a gift, Norway, Denmark and Sweden were all one large territory (the Kalmar Union), as they had one king....Christian I. It was he who gave the islands to Scotland as a dowry for his daugther, Margaret. Centuries later, several kings of Denmark-Norway tried to get the lands back, but to no avail.

The page about Shetland's history says that the islands were not gifted but pawned and that the Scottish government decided to ignore that fact and claimed ownership:

"The Hansa survived the transfer of political power from Scandinavia to Scotland in 1469, when a Danish king pawned his lands and taxes in Shetland to complete his daughter's dowry to the royal house of Scotland. The Privy Council in Edinburgh ignored repeated Danish attempts to redeem the pledge."

From: History - Celtic, Norse, Hanseatic and Scottish influences | Visit Shetland

BeatrixFan said:
Diana was of course portrayed as a Saint - but Camilla was portrayed as the Saviour of the Monarchy.

Camilla-supporters can live with that kind of description of the past, I guess... :flowers:

The truth of course, is much less dramatic: Neither diana nor Camilla was/is a saint, and neither one of them "saves" the monarchy. However, both of them were/are intelligent, worthy women with good hearts, and both are/were assets to the monarchy in their own distinct ways. :flowers:

All smiles for pupils at Sandwick

Prince Charles and Camilla will have won respect, even from Royal doubters, for the way they charmed hundreds of children and adults in the chilly grounds of sandwick Junior High School.

Shetland Today: Shetland Times Online News Feature

A day remember as Royals open jewel isles´ crown

As the convoy of blacked-out 4x4s carrying the Duke of Rothesay, Prince Charles, the Duchess of Rothesay, Camilla, and Queen Sonja of Norway, pulled up outside the new Shetland Museum and Archives a splattering of flash lights greeted them.

Shetland Today: Shetland Times Online News Feature

Queen Sonja shares duties with Charles in Shetlands

Queen Sonja shares duties with Charles in Shetlands

Skydragon said:
I watched it this morning on DVD and all I can say is that it would have been nice if they had managed to get one or two facts right, they pulled up the old one about the rolls being thrown at her, which has been consistently denied! It did show her being attacked when she went abroad just after Diana's death. The legend has grown further, now instead of just dancing wildly at Cirencester they were kissing in full view! :rolleyes: It was interesting to see the so called 'friends' speaking out! Brandreth finally had the decency to admit that he has never 'really spoken' about anything to Camilla, he once asked if it was true how she introduced herself to Charles and she just looked at him and walked past.

Arbiter made one of his appearances, not actually saying he knew or saw anything, just that it was rumoured and he believed it, (a bit like most old women). We had a couple of ex labour people, a couple of political commentators/presenters, about 25 Diana fanatics at KP on the morning of C&C wedding spouting abuse that said more about them than it did about Camilla, oh and Diana's ex press advisor. As you can see from the calibre of people on the programme, not a very balanced view but one that did end with a couple of people admitting that Camilla is what the monarchy needed to survive. She is discreet and very like the Queen and the Queen Mum.

I forgot to mention that Sarah (journal thief) Goodall was also on, this time she said she didn't really meet Camilla but.... again the rumours!

Whilst not saying she was the savior of the monarchy, they compared her to the QM after the abdication, saying she was an asset!

The majority of people on the programme admitted that none of them knew her views on anything, as she never spoke to reporters or leaked news unlike Diana (their words), a Royal in every sense, that loved Charles and because of that love would put up with most things.

A love that is enduring and returned ten fold!

Last edited:
Look at the last pic. Prince Charles looks as though he wants in on it!:lol:

Thats what we all wish for. That Camilla be the greatest Queen Consort ever known, beloved by all from the UK to Tuvalu.

hornsen said:
And he looks very eased that Camilla is accepted by other royal houses.

As you can see here
[img=http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7723/shet2to6.th.jpg]

That is what he really wishes for I think.

horsen,
I love that pic. Its like two old friends meeting again. Charles looks so proud. I think everyone knows how their love has endured and realizes that is more important than anything else. :flowers: Besides, family is family and they should all stick together.

BeatrixFan said:
Thats what we all wish for. That Camilla be the greatest Queen Consort ever known, beloved by all from the UK to Tuvalu.

Or at least one of the greatest. Some of us still prefer Queen Mary.;)

Time for a new thread.

Charles and Camilla current events 18, commencing June 2007, can be found here.
o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom