Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 20: March-June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CasiraghiTrio said:
Oh you never know. There could be some environmental crime committed by a Japanese company somewhere and he might take a stand.... Not saying I think that, but just playing devil's advocate. I am sure it was just a clash but you must admit that a stand against some violation of an environmental code would be something like his style! And if he ever did something like it, I'd applaud him on it all the way!;)

If he was boycotting the Japanese for environmental crimes - whaling comes to mind.

After the furore of the Japanese officials at the Whaling Commission meeting taking place at the moment saying that there is no real difference between whales and cows in the sense that Japanese eat whales (or a very small number of Japanese eat a very small amount of whales meat) while western societies eat meat from cows and that that is major news in Australia (who opposes commercial whaling).

Here are some links to stories about the Japanese and whaling:

Japan compares whales to cows | NEWS.com.au
Nations debate whale hunting | The Daily Telegraph
No threat to whaling ban: Turnbull | The Daily Telegraph
Japan's compromise whaling plan dismissed | The Daily Telegraph
Australia raps Japan over whaling | The Daily Telegraph

NB I am in no way suggesting that this is why Charles is in Scotland rather than in London but someone suggested an environmental issue and I have just given links to one at the moment.

Personally I suspect that it was simply a clash of scheduling and as the Crown Prince of Japan wasn't coming as well there was no real need for the Crown Prince of the UK to be there as well.

You beat me to the draw, Chrissy.

If Charles is in Scotland because of the whales, I wish we could know. I would send him a card with a warm fuzzy message.

Roslyn said:
You beat me to the draw, Chrissy.

If Charles is in Scotland because of the whales, I wish we could know. I would send him a card with a warm fuzzy message.

I believe if he absence was a protest about the whaling then we would probably know due to the incredible political fallout that he would be experiencing.

I too would be supporting him if that was the reason but there is certainly nothing to suggest that he would actually get publicly involved in such a controversial area.

I doubt it would be, because I assume he knows that the Emperor doesn't have much say in government policy whereas the "appalling old waxworks" he was avoiding during the Chinese visit were the people who made the decisions.

Elspeth said:
I doubt it would be, because I assume he knows that the Emperor doesn't have much say in government policy whereas the "appalling old waxworks" he was avoiding during the Chinese visit were the people who made the decisions.

Just because the emperor doesn't have much say doesn't mean that a boycott by someone as high profile as Prince Charles wouldn't have some impact - just for the fact that it highlight the issue.

However, in this instance I don't think this is the reason for Charles absence - mainly because if that was the reason there would be no point if it wasn't made public as to why he wasn't there.

The fact he's not there raises questions, as is has amongst us. I don't know how many people will think of the possibility of a connection between his absence and the whaling issue, but I do think, based on what I know of Prince Charles, that there is a chance that it is the reason he's not with the Japanese visitors.

He might have been counselled to not make his reason public, and decided to to have his own quiet protest that gives him personal satisfaction.

And of course there may be no connection at all.

:thistle:

CasiraghiTrio said:
Oh you never know. There could be some environmental crime committed by a Japanese company somewhere and he might take a stand....
I know I'm coming a bit late to the party, but the Japanese bloody-minded determination to slaughter whales in the guise of "research" is a highly sensitive issue in Australia.
Whether the Prince of Wales shares this concern is unknown, but we would like to think that he does.

Last edited:
His absence speaks louder than words. IMO

Lovely pictures, thank you! :flowers:

The terrible weather is my fault, I was complaining in the 'Your Weather' thread that we had no rain and we were having to water the gardens. Clearly because of that the heavens opened! :lol:

Thank you for these nice pics. Very stormy:D
I really like Camilla´s dress. Looks very fresh.

Tomorrow Prince Charles, The Duke of Rothesay, and The Duchess of Rothesay will join HM Queen Sonja of Norway to open the New Shetland Museum and Archives, Lerwick, Shetland.

Prince Charles and the Duchess of Rothesay will also visit Sandwick School, Shetland.
Prince Charles will also attend Scottish Business in the Community’s 25th anniversary celebration dinner, Prestonfield House Hotel, Edinburgh.

milla Ca said:
Prince Charles displays his playful side on Scottish trip

Since he married Camilla two years ago a more relaxed and laid-back Prince Charles seems to have emerged.

Prince Charles displays his playful side on Scottish trip

I love that photo of Charles & Camilla. It really makes me smile.

Thanks for posting it and the other links, milla Ca, and thank you too, Avalon. :flowers: These are some very nice photos of the couple.

Royals bring smiles to town of tears

THE Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall yesterday met the grieving families of five Fife fishermen who drowned when their vessels capsized.
The Royal couple had the emotional meeting during a visit to the village of Anstruther in Fife.

The Scotsman - Royals bring smiles to town of tears

milla Ca's link is about the famous Anstruther Fish & Chips.

Very touching that the Duke and Duchess prayed with the families.

Avalon said:
Tomorrow Prince Charles, The Duke of Rothesay, and The Duchess of Rothesay will join HM Queen Sonja of Norway to open the New Shetland Museum and Archives, Lerwick, Shetland.

Prince Charles and the Duchess of Rothesay will also visit Sandwick School, Shetland.
Prince Charles will also attend Scottish Business in the Community’s 25th anniversary celebration dinner, Prestonfield House Hotel, Edinburgh.

charles and Camilla
The Couple and Queen Sonja
Charles and Camilla
Camilla and Queen Sonja
The Couple and Queen Sonja
The Queen

Source:polfoto

It's great to see Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla together with Queen Sonja! They all looked fantastic today!:flowers:

Picture without watermark:
På jobb med Camilla - Forsiden - www.seher.no

Last edited:
About to watch the Queen Camilla documentary on Channel 4. Prepare for fireworks.

Too bad that the photos of Camilla and Sonja were so dark. I would have liked to have seen Camilla's outfit.

It looks like the same outfit she wore at the beginning of her honeymoon in Scotland - the fuchsia outfit with the Rothesay tartan trim.

It's so lovely to see Queen Sonja and HRH kissing! They appear to be friendly cousins already.

I waited for your fireworks, BeatrixFan, but became impatient and lit my own :D

:fireworks:

Any news for us on the Queen Camilla documentary?

I was getting round to that. ;)

Well, this was yet again a Charles bash of the highest order. We had the same old rubbish wheeled out with Charles being portrayed as a fruitcake moral crusader for 45 minutes. Diana was of course portrayed as a Saint - but Camilla was portrayed as the Saviour of the Monarchy. So a lack of fireworks. Though the Camillagate and the issue of Camilla's virginity was just too tasteless for words, the programme had a message I agreed with (in places) but was really a rehash of old news and about 5 minutes at the end actually discussing Queen Camilla. A failure on all counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom