The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:47 AM
Aristocracy

She seems to have seamlessly eased into it......on one hand I suppose it is good to bring a stablizing look to the Monarchy after everything they have been through.....on the other hand...the idea of marrying one's mistress....call me old fashioned but I still say for anyone that is the height of bad taste.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Really? You think it's better taste for them to carry on cohabiting while unmarried?

Old 06-10-2005, 01:01 AM
Aristocracy

I simply am very old fashioned in my views on fidelity and marriage.....suprisingly most Americans are..even though the divorce rate is high in this country...the idea of it being perfectly acceptable to have a mistress in the first place and be flagrant about it is to me disgusting.

I am like that in part because of the long and happy marriages in my family that usually go into the 50 to 60 year range of number of years married.

I know he could not make up his mind about Camilla or Diana and his father basically said look make an honest woman of her or she can kiss her repuation goodby.

I know divorce would have been very hard, even in the 80's especially for a Crown Prince, but still, there is no excuse.

I know it Charles and Diana were BOTH in the wrong by the way.

I just feel that no one is entitled to have their cake and eat it too.

In today's world people find many reasons to dilute the sanctity of marriage...I am NOT GOING to go into those reasons.

Also in retrospective it makes Wallis and Edward look like nothing at all. She may have still been married and divorced before twice, but HE WAS NOT MARRIED!

As I said Edward, Wallis, and Princess Margaret and Peter Townsend must all be spinning in their graves.

I also think for him to give her one of the Queen Mother's rings was a blatant slap in the face.

The Queen Mother loved Charles very much, BUT IT IS WELL KNOWN she did not, nor would she ever have, approved of this marriage.

In that respect she was very, rigidly, 10000% Royal!
Old 06-10-2005, 05:28 AM
Aristocracy

I really like her hat!! And yeah, so do I: how is she coping with the press?
Before she was only the Prince's girlfriend, and now she is an official person with duties to perform, and the spotlight is very much on her.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

C&C rejuvenated

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Lordship
I just feel that no one is entitled to have their cake and eat it too.
Whatever, in response to Elspeth's question it appears that Camilla is taking to her new role very confidently, and is proving to be a great support to the Prince of Wales. They both look years younger, and more importantly, happy. A great team together.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Aristocracy

To each his own then.

One must remember that royalty in some respects needs to lead their countries by example. They still are not ordinary, everyday people like you and I.

One can say that young adults can view this as....well, if the Prince of Wales can divorce his wife and marry his mistress, then I can cheat on my spouse and then divorce and then marry my mistress...or mister....depending on whether you are male or female in this case.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wouldn't have thought the Prince of Wales had that much influence over what young people do these days.

The pity of it is that his behaviour (apart from the divorce, which is probably more of a sign of the times than anything) is not that unusual for princes who have had to marry women considered suitable to fulfill the role of a prince's wife as opposed to marrying anybody they felt like marrying. It seems that at the time Charles was looking for a wife the choices were rather constrained by a perception that she needed to be either royal or aristocratic and to have no romantic past. The fact that there was this rather major age gap between him and Diana and that they had very little in common seems to have not been important to most people at the time, because that didn't seem to figure into what was considered suitable in a Princess of Wales. It was all about fitting the role and not much about being congenial to the person.

In the past, princes and kings have been able to compensate themselves for being married to a dynastically suitable but personally unsuitable woman by finding themselves mistresses who made up for the deficiencies in the latter, and most people didn't know what was going on. Since marriages for reasons other than love were also not uncommon in the aristocracy, and were accompanied by the same recourse to mistresses, and since the aristocracy were probably the only people who knew what was really going on in royal circles and the media didn't generally get hold of it, this behaviour has been possible in the past. Being related to the British aristocracy, you must be familiar with this sort of mindset even more than those of us who get our information from books.

However, nowadays the media seems to be able to get everywhere, people feel entitled to know every last detail of the private lives of the royals, and this sort of hypocritical behaviour of a senior royal behaving one way in public and another way in private isn't tolerated (even by people who are also engaging in extramarital relationships). And also nowadays, it's much more accepted that a senior royal and even an heir to a throne can marry for love even if the woman isn't considered a suitable consort (within some limits, of course - I gather lingerie models are still beyond the pale), so there's no excuse for him to be looking outside his marriage for someone to fulfill his personal needs. Charles managed to get the thin end of both wedges here - he was expected to marry for reasons other than his personal preference, and he was also expected not to look elsewhere for personal happiness. These days, if William wanted to marry a not very good-looking member of the minor aristocracy who'd had a string of boyfriends, he'd be able to. It wouldn't be the world's most popular choice, but enough people would think that it was OK to do it if it made him happy - and after all, look at the Norwegian and Spanish crown princes who married women with a "past." And, having married for love, he wouldn't have the excuse that he also needed a soul mate. And every last thing he did would be recorded in excruciating detail by the press and probably lapped up by thousands of eager readers who claimed to be disgusted by press intrusion into his private life.

Given that Charles did have a long-term mistress, I'm not sure why, when he was free to marry, it was the height of bad taste to marry her rather than to continue as a single man with a mistress.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Aristocracy

Yes...but while Royals may be a bit more closer to the people these past few years...THANK YOU MEDIA COVERAGE and thank you Charles and Diana for going on TV......there is a difference between a prince who never married and then married a divorced woman, or a woman....gasp! with past who was never married.

Charles and Diana were both married to each other...both took lovers as apparently flagrency is acceptable in royalty and high society....and then they divorced, she died, and then he married his mistress.

Do you see the difference between what he has done now vs. a prince WHO WAS NEVER married marrying someone with a past.

But hey, he is not my king and I don't have to live with him here in the U.S., only when I go back to visit the grandparents there.

I WILL NEVER understand how this is acceptable, it has been going on for hundreds of years, but it is shameful.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sure there's a difference - I just don't see why his not marrying Camilla at this point is any more tasteful than his marrying her. I mean, you said that marrying his mistress was the height of bad taste (at least, I understood that's what you said); to me, being free to marry her and declining to do so would be in far worse taste because it would be a sort of insult - like telling her she's good enough for a roll in the hay but not good enough to be formally associated with him.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Mirror Articles

10 June 2005
ENGLAND'S NEW ROSE
Spicy bloom named after Camilla
By Jane Kerr
A SOFT pink rose with a "spicy" fragrance has been named after Camilla, it emerged yesterday.

The newly-married royal will be presented with a Rosa Duchess of Cornwall when she visits the BBC Gardeners' World show next week with Prince Charles. Donations from the sale of the rose go to the National Osteoporosis Society, of which the Duchess is president.

Gardeners Monty Don and Alan Titchmarsh will greet the royal couple at the show near Birmingham. Adam Pasco, of Gardeners' World magazine, said: "We're thrilled to be welcoming the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall."
Old 06-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

From Newscom pictures of TRH at Founders Day Parade on Thursday:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	157775   Click image for larger version

Name:	z2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	157776   Click image for larger version

Name:	z3.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	157777   Click image for larger version

Name:	z4.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	157778  

Name:	z5.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	157779   Click image for larger version

Name:	z6.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	157780   Click image for larger version

Name:	z7.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	157781   Click image for larger version

Name:	z8.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	157782  

Name:	z9.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	157783   Click image for larger version

Name:	z10.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	157784  
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 06-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC NEWS

Camilla and William at Trooping

The procession will be a first for both the Duchess and the Prince

The Duchess of Cornwall and Prince William are to share a carriage when they ride in Saturday's Trooping the Colour procession for the first time.

They will be with the Earl and Countess of Wessex in the first barouche, previously used by the Queen Mother.

The second barouche will seat Prince Andrew and his daughters and Timothy Laurence, the Princess Royal's husband.

Camilla is later set to appear with the royals on the Buckingham Palace balcony to watch an RAF flypast. The flypast is expected to feature the Typhoon Eurofighter aircraft for the first time. Prince William is also expecting to receive his degree results from St Andrews University on Saturday.

Old 06-11-2005, 02:20 AM
Serene Highness

Wonderful!

I wonder when William will start to ride at the Trooping of the Colour?
Old 06-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Barouche affront!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1981
BBC NEWS
The Duchess of Cornwall and Prince William are to share a carriage when they ride in Saturday's Trooping the Colour procession for the first time.
They will be with the Earl and Countess of Wessex in the first barouche, previously used by the Queen Mother.
Is it inevitable that someone will post that this is "a slap in the face to the Queen Mother"? First the engagement ring, now the barouche. Where will it end?
Old 06-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Is it inevitable that someone will post that this is "a slap in the face to the Queen Mother"? First the engagement ring, now the barouche. Where will it end?
Woah. I didn't know that. I wonder what the Queen Mother thought of Camilla...any idea?
Old 06-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaLynn07
Woah. I didn't know that. I wonder what the Queen Mother thought of Camilla...any idea?
I'm sure the QM liked Camilla (although she disapproved of the adultery), and had met her several times, and I read somewhere that the QM would allow Charles and Camilla to stay at Birkhall. Camilla attended the QM's funeral too!
Old 06-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Gentry

On this Picture from June 2005 you can see how happy and relaxed Charles and Camilla are:
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Serene Highness

HRH Prince Charles is seen at the Chakravarty Cup Polo match between Team Thailand and Team Dubai played at the Ham Polo Club June 11, 2005 in Richmond, England.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	53053793.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	158353   Click image for larger version

Name:	53056546.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	158354   Click image for larger version

Name:	53056557.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	158355   Click image for larger version

Name:	53056559.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	158356  

Name:	53056560.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	158357   Click image for larger version

Name:	53056565.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	158358   Click image for larger version

Name:	53056567.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	158359   Click image for larger version

Name:	53056575.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	158360  

Name:	53056592.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	158361   Click image for larger version

Name:	53056594.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	158362  
Old 06-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Serene Highness

more pictures:)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	53056595.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	158363   Click image for larger version

Name:	53056653.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	158364   Click image for larger version

Name:	53056654.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	158365  
Old 06-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Duchess of Wornwell By Clive Goodman

THE Duchess of Cornwall stunned crowds at the biggest event in the royal calendar yesterday — by turning up in her wedding dress.

Camilla was at Trooping The Colour in the same off-white dress and coat she was married in just nine weeks ago yesterday.

Designers Robinson Valentine had discreetly altered the cuffs to give the outfit a newer look.

But a senior Palace aide confirmed: "She had a different hat and bag but otherwise it was the same outfit."

As the Royal Family's senior woman after the Queen, Camilla should have been given pride of place at the ceremony—as Princess Diana once was.

But it was plain that the duchess still hasn't found her full place within her husband's family.
Delighted

Looking nervous and hesitant, Camilla only laughed easily with her step-son Prince William and Prince Charles.

William was celebrating his 2:1 honours degree in geography after four years at university.

A family friend said: "She's delighted for him, as is his father."

But the Queen barely exchanged a glance with Camilla throughout the birthday parade.

Camilla had arrived for the trooping in a carriage with William along with the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

Looking hesitant, she smiled and waved at wellwishers

But behind the smiles, Camilla fears she is still disliked by her royal in-laws.

"She's found it so hard to adjust to her change of life.

"She thinks the Prince of Wales's family still hates her. It's tough for her at the moment," revealed one family friend. After a ceremony at Horseguards Parade the Queen and her 32 guests returned to Buckingham Palace for lunch.

Later the royals emerged on to the palace balcony to greet crowds and watch an RAF fly-past.

Other senior royals at the event included Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and his daughters, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, along with Lady Ella Mountbatten.

Those closest to the duchess say she has become frustrated over her new life two months after the marriage.

She now has a team of armed police minders who follow her every move.

A family friend said: "She finds that very restricting. It makes keeping up with friends very difficult. Every time she moves it becomes a huge security problem so she has ended up seeing fewer people."

And Camilla is frightened that the friends and family she does still see regularly might think she's too grand.

"She's the same old Camilla but there's so much more to take into account these days," said the family friend.

"Nothing is simple any longer. A lunch out with friends can become an expedition.

"It's difficult to explain that to people who are used to the old Camilla. But the duchess feels the worst pressure is the strain of public life.

"The pressure to look good and never set a foot wrong is exhausting," said one pal.

Proud

Next week Camilla will be on show again at Prince William's graduation ceremony. William became the brainiest royal ever yesterday after getting the 2:1 degree in Geography. He was delighted and made his father very proud.

The Queen, Prince Philip, Charles and Camilla will attend his graduation at St Andrews University.

The Queen and Philip will stage a walkabout in the Fife town on graduation day.

Charles and Camilla will also host a special dinner for the parents of William's girlfriend, Kate Middleton, 22.

Kate and William have lived together for most of their four years at St Andrews. Charles's get-together with Kate's dad Michael and mum Carole, of Bucklebury, Berks, is the first since they came to William's 21st birthday party. A family friend said: "The Prince thought it was time to get to know each other a bit better. William is very close to Kate's family."

Well, Diana must be crying in the sky.

Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales