The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you to BeatrixFan and to Skydragon for teaching my something about plus fours and some other clothes to wear traditional!

We have in Germany a similar suit with such kind of trousers who´s name is `Knickerbocker`. Many Men wear it it 40 or 50 years ago, but you can see it rare today.

I don´t like to read articles about TRH in the ´Sun´, but the pic of Camilla is very nice. Thank you for posting Hornsen !
I like it very much to see Camilla as a country-woman who likes to go for a walk, dispite of the rain.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles and Camilla's weekend in Norfolk

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall attended Sandringham Parish Church after spending the weekend in Norfolk with a party of friends.
The couple attended the morning service at the church today and then spent time chatting with well-wishers.

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Guests

From Avalon's Norfolk link, to give us an idea as to who is in C&Cs' inner circle:

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess had a party of close friends staying with them at Sandringham.
Many of them also attended the service including King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie of Greece, Princess Alexandra and Sir Nicholas and Lady Soames.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:25 PM

Now that's interesting because I've got several pics from old Majesty magazines that show Constantine and Anne-Marie with Charles and Camilla. Camilla was very friendly with Alexandra before her marriage. I went to Angus Ogilvy's memorial service at Westminster Abbey and each Royal went past us and we bowed etc. And when Camilla went past, the lady next to me whispered, "Does one curtsey or not?". I said, "Not yet dear. Not yet". But Constantine and Anne-Marie were there too so I think generally this is very much their "set".
Old 11-27-2006, 01:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca
On the BBC website is a picture gallery with ten photos of Charles´ new welsh home and the surroundings.

I kind of like the place. Doesn't look too regal, but does have the land and buildings. I love the country, so the country homes are always a favorite of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
From PoW website

so yes it is official that they will rent out the property
Source :http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/medi...ses/index.html
Why is it that they would like to rent out the property when they are not there? Why can't they just have two homes and spend a lot more time in Wales?

I guess I can't understand why Charles never bought Highgrove, but is renting it. Such is like the Wessex couple--renting but not buying the property.

Is there a benefit for Charles not to actually buy a property, but rent it? And, now buying a Welsh property, but will be renting it out whenever the royal couple are not there.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Highgrove was bought by the Duchy of Cornwall; he isn't really renting it from some third-party landlord, but it's part of his Duchy of Cornwall holdings.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Highgrove was bought by the Duchy of Cornwall; he isn't really renting it from some third-party landlord, but it's part of his Duchy of Cornwall holdings.
Thanks, Elspeth for making that clear.

Has anyone seen Charles' new website. It is much better and I really like see the video (only one so far).

www.princeofwales.gov.uk
Old 11-27-2006, 02:42 AM
Administrator

Camilla and Charles together with Queen Anne Marie and King Constantine of Greece on their way to the traditional Sunday morning church service in Sandringham, UK, on November 26, 2006. Photos by Nunn

Charles and Constantine Camilla and Anne Marie Camilla receiving flowers meeting the people
Old 11-27-2006, 04:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla Ca
Thank you to BeatrixFan and to Skydragon for teaching my something about plus fours and some other clothes to wear traditional!

We have in Germany a similar suit with such kind of trousers who´s name is `Knickerbocker`. Many Men wear it it 40 or 50 years ago, but you can see it rare today.
German World Class golfer Bernhard Langer used to wear them on tournaments. But I cannot remember having ever seen someone wearing them while out for the hunt. I just checked reknown German suppliers for hunting accessoires liek Frankonia but none had a kind of Knickerbocker hunting clothes.

I looked up Knickerbocker and found that the name derives from the novel Humorous History of New York by Washington Irving, who used the alias Dietrich Knickerbocker and named the main character Jansen Knickerbocker. It's about the early settlers in New Amsterdam/New York who wore such trousers. These first New Yorkers earned the nickname "Knickerbockers" -the name stuck and was used for their trousers when this kind of suit became common for cycling and walks.

But they say that Knickerbockers are wider and longer than the Plus Fours who are called "Kniebundhose" in German, due to their adjustable band (in German bund) directly below the knee (Knie).

Trousers like that derive from the formal dress of the Baroque era and were still asked for at court in the last century...

I thought Prince Charles looks great in them. It's such a relaxed and stylish look.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower
Camilla and Charles together with Queen Anne Marie and King Constantine of Greece on their way to the traditional Sunday morning church service in Sandringham, UK, on November 26, 2006. Photos by Nunn

Charles and Constantine Camilla and Anne Marie Camilla receiving flowers meeting the people
Interesting to see Charles with Constantine and Anne Marie - after all, all three of them have an acknowledged right to the title prince/Princess of Denmark IIRC. It must be nice for Charles to have friends/relatives nearby with whom the barrier of rank and birth does not count.

I remember that when Charles was still married to Diana, he used to attend weddings, christenings etc. of his German relatives - he was there quite often, but never brought Diana. Maybe one day we'll see Camilla here in Germany on a private visit...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
German World Class golfer Bernhard Langer used to wear them on tournaments. But I cannot remember having ever seen someone wearing them while out for the hunt. I just checked reknown German suppliers for hunting accessoires liek Frankonia but none had a kind of Knickerbocker hunting clothes.

I looked up Knickerbocker and found that the name derives from the novel Humorous History of New York by Washington Irving, who used the alias Dietrich Knickerbocker and named the main character Jansen Knickerbocker. It's about the early settlers in New Amsterdam/New York who wore such trousers. These first New Yorkers earned the nickname "Knickerbockers" -the name stuck and was used for their trousers when this kind of suit became common for cycling and walks.

But they say that Knickerbockers are wider and longer than the Plus Fours who are called "Kniebundhose" in German, due to their adjustable band (in German bund) directly below the knee (Knie).

Trousers like that derive from the formal dress of the Baroque era and were still asked for at court in the last century...

I thought Prince Charles looks great in them. It's such a relaxed and stylish look.
It gave me a surprise to see you refer to Knickerbockers, Jo. I live in New York and used to belong to a public speaking club called the Knickerbockers. Its the name of an old bar, a cocktail, a basketball team, and some hunting trousers.

I never knew that Bernhard Langer wore them. My father is a big golf fan and saw Langer win the Masters tournament in Augusta Georgia in the eighties. I don't think he wore them then; maybe just in Germany. We stopped seeing him for after awhile in America. I think at one time hunters wore Knickerbockers here but no longer. We prefer to go to the bar.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 12-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Interesting to see Charles with Constantine and Anne Marie - after all, all three of them have an acknowledged right to the title prince/Princess of Denmark IIRC. It must be nice for Charles to have friends/relatives nearby with whom the barrier of rank and birth does not count.

I remember that when Charles was still married to Diana, he used to attend weddings, christenings etc. of his German relatives - he was there quite often, but never brought Diana. Maybe one day we'll see Camilla here in Germany on a private visit...
King Constantine is the godfather of Prince William, is he not? That bespeaks of a close association with Charles right there.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 12-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
King Constantine is the godfather of Prince William, is he not?
And William is godfather to Constantine's grandson.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Here are the first two pics from tonight: Camilla and Charles attend the Royal Variety Performance held at the Coliseum Theatre on December 4, 2006 in London, England. (Photos by MJ Kim/Getty Images)

Camilla
Charles
Old 12-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the pictures, Iceflower!

More pictures from the event.

Prince Charles meets model Jordan and her husband singer Peter Andre

Camilla receives flowers upon her arrival

The view of Camilla's outfit from the back

more images from getty here.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Courtier

I really like her outfit. Such dresses suit her enormously. But I´m not sure if we had seen it before.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornsen
I really like her outfit. Such dresses suit her enormously. But I´m not sure if we had seen it before.
She has definitely worn this outfit at least one one occassion. I'll try to find the pictures and event.

Camilla has worn the same outfit, when TRH Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall attended a gala at the Banqueting House as a fundraiser in aid of the Prince's Trust Charity on November 23, 2005 in London.

Camilla 1
Camilla 2
Charles and Camilla

She always wears that outfit with that necklace but I don't know what necklace it is. We'll probably have to wait till one of our experts tells us.
Here is a better look of the necklace
Old 12-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Do we know anything about the necklace Camilla's wearing?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Aristocracy

thanks for the information.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I love this outfit..Specially the colour. There are not so many outfits like this one.

Vanesa.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales