Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 17: September-November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol. Of course. That wife being Camilla.

And for those who want to see this stunning jewel up-close, this pic comes from Majesty (Scanned);

thanks for the photo, you can see the prince of wales feathers. what a lovely piece. anybody know the history?

I believe it was made for Queen Alexandra when she was Princess of Wales but I might be 100% wrong. I think Charles must have had the emerald added for Camilla because it didn't have it when Diana wore it - that is if it's 100% definately the same brooch.

A couple more pictures of the visit to Birmingham - Wireimage.

Love that suit. It's not too flashy but very flattering and it's got one of those wonderful velvet collars Camilla is fond of. HRH is so at ease, so relaxed these days.

Skydragon said:
Prince Charles and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall attend the film premiere of 'The History Boys' at the Odeon cinema in Leicester Square on October 2, 2006 in London, England. (Photo by Tim Graham/Getty Images)

They are lovely pics. Thanks for posting them, Skydragon.

I've just noticed that the beaded trim on Camilla's jacket does not go all the way around the collar. This seems odd to me. Does anyone know if there's a reason? Is it the fashion?

The brooch is very beautiful. Thank you for the close-up, BeatrixFan.

IMO, Camilla hasn't missed a beat with her clothing since she became the Duchess of Cornwall. Her clothes fit the outing and are very classic, yet a bit "relaxed" and not stuffy! Bravo Camilla!!!

Extremely well dressed, top outfit she is impeccable

Thank you for the nice pics Skydragon:flowers: .
After the illness and the death of her father, Camilla had such a hard time, and you could see the grief and pain on her face.
But now, some month later, and after her holidays with the Prince at Birkhall, it is absolutely wonderful to see her so relaxed, pretty and happy again.
I think TRH had a good time in Scotland.

Yeah, it must be hard to put on a happy face so soon after losing a much-loved parent. She's a trooper though, and obviously has the support of her husband and family.

BeatrixFan said:
I believe it was made for Queen Alexandra when she was Princess of Wales but I might be 100% wrong. I think Charles must have had the emerald added for Camilla because it didn't have it when Diana wore it - that is if it's 100% definately the same brooch.

thanks so much for the info beatrixfan, it's beautiful (i'm partial to emeralds (my birthstone) omg what fun to play in the jewelry vaults. i loved to play with my moms when i was little, think how fun it would be as an adult and it was real.

quote from roslyn "I've just noticed that the beaded trim on Camilla's jacket does not go all the way around the collar. This seems odd to me. Does anyone know if there's a reason? Is it the fashion?" -
odd to Me 2, looks unfinished, i might need new glasses i didn't see it before- sharp eye very good.

i adore the brown suit and they look so happy. she is a trooper thats for sure but she seems so relaxed i don't think it's "put on" it seems she honestly loves being around people and supporting her husband. looks like they've had a lovely time, but what's not to like-i'd love to visit scotland.

I think that the brooch is just beautiful, but I think that it is a little strange that she would wear it. Diana wore it alot and even in the very first baby pictures of William. Every one knows that the two did not get along, so why would you want to wear it, even if you can? I just think that it strange. By the way, you can find pictures of Diana wearing it with the emerald added. I know that I am going to get it for say this. I just would not wear something that so many remember as my husband ex wife's brooch/pin. No matter what your feeling about Camilla, not many people would wear it, and that is the truth!

msleiman said:
I think that the brooch is just beautiful, but I think that it is a little strange that she would wear it. Diana wore it alot and even in the very first baby pictures of William..... .... I just would not wear something that so many remember as my husband ex wife's brooch/pin.

Charles has every right to give his wife a brooch of the Prince of Wales feathers, they are after all his to give out or not. I have to admit I have not seen a close up of Dianas' piece. When I see any jewellery that has the Prince of Wales feathers, I think of Prince Charles.

Having had a look at the Diana version, I don't think they are the same brooch. The brooch here is set differently to the one worn by Camilla. Camillas has baguette diamonds on the stalks of the feathers and large brilliant diamonds as the tips, plus of course the two medium and all the tiny Emeralds around the frame, if you compare the two side by side, you will see what I mean.

Last edited:
The man has got some nerve! :lol: :ROFLMAO:

Phoney VIP cons heir

A cheeky intruder won a £100,000 bet — by conning his way into a movie world premiere and joining a line-up of celebs to meet Prince Charles and Camilla.
The Sun can today reveal that Alex King was the prankster who left Prince Charles fuming at Monday’s first night of The History Boys by Alan Bennett.

Prince Charles Fooled By Phony At Royal Premiere Of "The History Boys"

It's a great thing Prince Charles has a pretty good sense of humor. However, the British royal was at first left speechless after a prankster joined a meet and greet line at the royal premiere of "The History Boys" and spoke to the prince, while pretending to be somebody he was not.

Avalon said:
The man has got some nerve! :lol: :ROFLMAO:
However, the British royal was at first left speechless after a prankster joined a meet and greet line at the royal premiere of "The History Boys" and spoke to the prince, while pretending to be somebody he was not.

Alex King was on the news and said that Charles and Camilla were charming and that Charles had no idea that he wasn't supposed to be there, a slightly different tale to the ones told by the papers. :rolleyes: If security had been 'on their toes' this chap could have been shot or stunned (pity he wasn't).

msleiman said:
I think that the brooch is just beautiful, but I think that it is a little strange that she would wear it. Diana wore it alot and even in the very first baby pictures of William. Every one knows that the two did not get along, so why would you want to wear it, even if you can? I just think that it strange. By the way, you can find pictures of Diana wearing it with the emerald added. I know that I am going to get it for say this. I just would not wear something that so many remember as my husband ex wife's brooch/pin. No matter what your feeling about Camilla, not many people would wear it, and that is the truth!

I agree that not many people would wear that but then there can only be one Princess of Wales at one given time! Sorry to say that and I know I'd get a rebuke by the mods but I have to state that I see that a lot of people don't have any idea of what "Feathers" or a "Coat of Arms" or a position as the wife of a noble actually mean. So I'll try to explain it:

The history of the title of a prince of Wales as son of the British souverain goes back to 1301. Not sure about the feathers but let's just assume that these feathers became a symbol for the "Prince of Wales" 700 years ago. Can one imagine how many wifes of the prince had a right to wear their husband's feathers? One says that every 30 years it's a new generation, so it's about 23 princesses who had a right to show off with these feathers.

And only one of them was a lady born Diana Spencer. Who is dead. As are all the other princesses (except Camilla, of course). While the current holder of the feathers has a wife who wears his feathers like all the princesses have done for their husband for more than 700 years.

You have, of course, the right to view the Feathers of the Prince of Wales according to your own background and to voice your views about it here but still I think these things should be seen in an historical context and not within a personal context from ... welll... whereever.

Skydragon said:
Alex King was on the news and said that Charles and Camilla were charming and that Charles had no idea that he wasn't supposed to be there, a slightly different tale to the ones told by the papers. :rolleyes: If security had been 'on their toes' this chap could have been shot or stunned (pity he wasn't).

Oh, I don't know. If it wasn't for security reasons I guess the prince and princess would have enjoyed meeting this obviously polite and charming man. But how could the son of a duke or marquess (I'm not so well used in the British peerage and don't wnat to look him up) do something as betting that someone could set up The Prince and Princess of Wales? And for such a sum?
Dear me - that's such bad, bad taste... Prank? I don't think so. Hope this "noble" gets taken to task by his noble family.

Royal Couple Meet Armed Forces Patients on City Wards

The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall yesterday met British service personnel injured in action in Afghanistan and Iraq.
The couple were given a tour of the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine, based at Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham, where most servicemen and women injured overseas are flown to for treatment.
Charles and Camilla were met by Air Commodore Tony Batchelor, who is in charge of the centre, and John Charlton, chair of the University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust.

Skydragon said:
Charles has every right to give his wife a brooch of the Prince of Wales feathers, they are after all his to give out or not. I have to admit I have not seen a close up of Dianas' piece. When I see any jewellery that has the Prince of Wales feathers, I think of Prince Charles.

Having had a look at the Diana version, I don't think they are the same brooch. The brooch here is set differently to the one worn by Camilla. Camillas has baguette diamonds on the stalks of the feathers and large brilliant diamonds as the tips, plus of course the two medium and all the tiny Emeralds around the frame, if you compare the two side by side, you will see what I mean.

Thanks for posting the pic of Diana wearing it, Skydragon. The close-up is a big fuzzy for me and I can't pick out the detail of the diamonds, but I have a feeling it is the same brooch because I can pick out some of the detail of the emeralds. It seems to have the same two emeralds on the lower half on the inside, and the same tiny emeralds between the diamonds. I can pick out the same number of tiny emeralds on the outside in the area between the bottom of the inner emeralds in the Diana pic. as in the pic of the brooch Camilla wore. I'd love to see a clearer pic of it on Diana.

My initial reaction was I wouldn't want to wear it because Diana wore it and too many people would be prepared to pounce with claws extended. But if it is the property of the Prince of Wales for the time being, the piece exists as a part of history, not as one person's personal trinket. Such a pretty thing deserves to be worn, for the sake of tradition and continuity as much as anything, and it looks lovely on Camilla.

ETA I hadn't read Jo of Palatine's post No. 107 when I wrote this, so I'll now refer to it and add "and what she said"!

Last edited:
msleiman said:

Yes, some people may feel uncomfortable because they saw Diana weared this. But this brooch is certainly a heirloom for the wife of Prince of Wales. It belongs to her ex-husband's family rather than Diana herself. So Camilla can wear it for what she is now.
Camilla wear the jewllery for her position of wife of Prince of Wales, therefore, there should be no problem about that. If Camilla cannot wear things like that, how can she wear pieces owned by Queen Mother or other past Queens? There will be more indications to show she will be Queen when Charles becomes King which may upset more people.

It would be different if Camilla wore the tiara that Diana always wore (the Spencer one) or her engagement ring because they are intimately Diana's, but anything else ought to be worn by Camilla and not left sitting musty in a vault. These fabulous pieces of jewellery need to be seen!

I quite agree, jewels are to be seen for our pleasure

Nobody mentioned this and maybe I am wrong, but Camilla was given a brooch by Charles with the POW feathers during the "affair" years. She might have added the emerald recently. Camilla got some nice jewelry from Charles over the years before they were married, I'm sure she still wears some of those pieces, old favorites...but they are new to us. :)
Charles also gave 5 POW feathers broochs out to his lady friends at one point one of those broochs was for Camilla.
Camilla has at least 2 separate POW feather broochs. That is of course ignoring the jewerly that she got when she got married. :)

cde said:
Charles also gave 5 POW feathers broochs out to his lady friends at one point one of those broochs was for Camilla.
Tiggy Legge-Burke/Pettifer received a Prince of Wales Feathers brooch, and I have an idea (not 100% sure) that I've seen Princess Alexandra wearing one.

Roslyn said:
It seems to have the same two emeralds on the lower half on the inside, and the same tiny emeralds between the diamonds. I can pick out the same number of tiny emeralds on the outside in the area between the bottom of the inner emeralds in the Diana pic. as in the pic of the brooch Camilla wore. I'd love to see a clearer pic of it on Diana.

OK, the 1st picture was posted by BeatrixFan and scanned from Majesty Magazine, the 2nd was posted by Lady Jean and credited to Suzy Menkes, "Royal Jewels.

2. Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

The 1st one is Camillas and as you can see (hopefully :flowers: ) it has 20 brilliant cut diamonds around the circle plus the brilliant cut emeralds. small brilliant diamonds for the uprights of the feathers, 3 brilliant cut diamonds for the plumes and 3 small emeralds either side. It also has a baguette diamond or 3 small diamonds going across the feathers. The Bail cap is a simple tiered design.
The 2nd was (among others) used by Diana. It has 18 brilliant diamonds around the circle plus the brilliant cut emeralds, 2 brilliant cut diamond and 6 smaller diamonds for the plumes, no emeralds at the side of the uprights, instead it has diamonds. The Bail cap and lower work on the feather supports is wirework.

The Emeralds are a different shape, Camilla's is called a raindrop and Diana's a teardrop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skydragon said:
The 1st one is Camillas and as you can see (hopefully :flowers: ) it has 20 brilliant cut diamonds around the circle plus the brilliant cut emeralds. small brilliant diamonds for the uprights of the feathers, 3 brilliant cut diamonds for the plumes and 3 small emeralds either side. It also has a baguette diamond or 3 small diamonds going across the feathers. The Bail cap is a simple tiered design.
The 2nd was (among others) used by Diana. It has 18 brilliant diamonds around the circle plus the brilliant cut emeralds, 2 brilliant cut diamond and 6 smaller diamonds for the plumes, no emeralds at the side of the uprights, instead it has diamonds. The Bail cap and lower work on the feather supports is wirework.

The Emeralds are a different shape, Camilla's is called a raindrop and Diana's a teardrop.

Thanks so much for posting those pics. Now I can see a clearer pic of Diana's, it's quite obvious they are different. Camilla's is much nicer! :lol:

Is it just an optical illusion, or are there some pearls in Camilla's brooch as well as diamonds?

I'm afraid I don't seem to be able to tell the difference between raindrops and teardrops.

Roslyn said:
Thanks so much for posting those pics. Now I can see a clearer pic of Diana's, it's quite obvious they are different. Camilla's is much nicer! :lol:

Is it just an optical illusion, or are there some pearls in Camilla's brooch as well as diamonds?

I'm afraid I don't seem to be able to tell the difference between raindrops and teardrops.

Well, raindrops are the things that fall from the sky, and...

*runs away and hides*

Elspeth said:
Well, raindrops are the things that fall from the sky, and...

*runs away and hides*

:doh: And so you should! :lol:

Camilla looks very nice.Thanks for all the pics!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom