The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
It certainly doesn't. It wasn't clear whether she was trying to strangle him or doing something thoroughly X-rated.
LOL. It does indeed. You see alot of the Europeans doing it. For example, there's a pic of Mette-Marit half-way through a kiss-curtsey with Camilla.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I was rather struck, looking at the Royalist site the other day, by the number of comments (not in the actual articles so much, but in the blog-type comments underneath them) about how the Wales marriage isn't doing well and Camilla's not making a success of her new position, with all the "poor Camilla, what a shame for her" stuff, written by people who are so clearly dying for Camilla to be having these problems in real life and who would be purely delighted to find that she was thoroughly unhappy.
Hm, yes, I guess there are still a lot of people like that around. I'm still thinking about Skydragon's claim that the Royal PR-people follow forums and webpages like this and the Royalist to keep informed about what people take serious and what not when it comes to published articles (Just wanted to add that this is my interpretation of what she said :-)). I wasn't so sure it happens that way but come to think of it - it's quite a good way to get a feeling about the people's reaction to articles.

Well, be it as it is - IMHO the POW did a good PR-stunt towards people who believed in the "strife"-theory when he just called Camilla "his beloved wife" again in public. It has that "twinkle" aspect which I think is a speciality of the prince! Great move - whether he had the idea by himself or was guided by people who advised him to react in this very elegant and witty way to all the rumours about the state of the Waleses' marriage.:)

Old 07-06-2006, 03:59 PM

Well, when I telephoned BP for something a while back, I mentioned a website that was giving some info (it was a hospitality issue for those interested) and they said, "Oh yes, we know about that one". So I think they do have a regular check of any Royal sites that spring up.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Who is this and what she is doing?
At first I though she was about to fall and Prince Charles was holding her. He is definitely holding her though (in the 2nd pic), maybe trying to prevent a still deeper bow.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
LOL. It does indeed. You see alot of the Europeans doing it. For example, there's a pic of Mette-Marit half-way through a kiss-curtsey with Camilla.
This has probably been hashed over ad nauseam elsewhere, but why would one crown princess be curtseying to another? Aren't they of equal rank?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe the younger will curtsey to the older crown princess as a matter of courtesy?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:35 PM

Apparantly, Mette-Marit curtseyed because Camilla's a representative of the Queen and Elizabeth has reigned longer than Harald and so got a curtsey from Mette-Marit. That was the 'official reason'.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
About the word "Schadenfreude" - is it really a word used in the English language? :)
In Polish it is used too :) Even people who cannot speak German understand it very well. It is a kind of German-international term I believe
Old 07-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It's one of those somewhat untranslatable words, which is why I staged a cop-out and left it in the original German ; it's one of those things that you know it when you see it, though..
According to the Brockhampton Reference Dictionary and my husband, Schadenfreude means 'malicious glee'.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
According to the Brockhampton Reference Dictionary and my husband, Schadenfreude means 'malicious glee'.
That sounds like a good translation when I look it up in the dictionaries. But isn't "glee" already a bit negative like "gloat"? I got the impression from reading english books that the word is mostly used in situations where something malicious is implied along with the jollity. Or would you use it rather neutrally on its own or even positive like mirth, gaiety, cheerfulness etc.?
Old 07-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
This has probably been hashed over ad nauseam elsewhere, but why would one crown princess be curtseying to another? Aren't they of equal rank?
I thought it has to do with who's the hostess. Camilla was hostess to CP Mette-Marit and CP Haakon, thus the guest showed the mistress of the house her reference. Even then Mette-Marit probably could have avoided a curtsey but as Camilla is so many years her senior it still is a nice gesture, IMHO.

And we don't know what's going on behind the closed door of Clarence House - after all the Norwegian Royals are cousins of the POW from both queen Maud/king Haakon's and both queen Elizabeth/prince Philip's side. Haakon and Mette-Marit lived in London after their wedding, so I'm sure they've met Camilla before she became the wife of the POW. So it could be that it was a public showing of appreciation from CP Mette-Marit's side to the now official CP of the UK.

Another question for those who know how the British upper class tend to view things: did the divorce of Camilla Parker-Bowles change her status within the society? Was the Van Cutsem-wedding only one occasion of others, where Camilla found out that her social staus had diminished after the divorce from APB?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
That sounds like a good translation when I look it up in the dictionaries. But isn't "glee" already a bit negative like "gloat"? I got the impression from reading english books that the word is mostly used in situations where something malicious is implied along with the jollity.
glee - mirth, delight (watched the enemy's defeat with delight)
mirth - merriment, laughter, gloat - consider or contemplate with malice.

Taking pleasure in someone else's misfortune I think is the best description I can come up with. Goodness isn't English complicated!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:27 AM

The latest pics of Camilla show her wearing this odd skirt that looks like it has the Prince of Wales feathers on it. I know she loves her man, but I hope I'm wrong because that would be kind of excessive...not to mention weird, freaky!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Did the divorce of Camilla Parker-Bowles change her status within the society? Was the Van Cutsem-wedding only one occasion of others, where Camilla found out that her social staus had diminished after the divorce from APB?
The divorce only altered her status within her own circle, as with any divorced couple, people take sides. Her friends knew of her relationship with Charles and rallied around when it became public and they knew the truth about the allegations made by others. So no her social status was unchanged, IMO.

She was welcome at the events she had always attended as Camilla P-B, the problem arose at the Van Cutsems, because Charles wanted her to be sat with him and they did not want to be seen officially, to condone the relationship.

Perhaps we owe them a vote of thanks, without their stupidity, IMO, the issue may not have been raised and Charles and Camilla would not now be married.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Perhaps we owe them a vote of thanks, without their stupidity, IMO, the issue may not have been raised and Charles and Camilla would not now be married.
I think Prince Charles has waited for the chance to marry Camilla for about 10 ten years already. He chose to put the feelings of Queen Mother and his sons first and Camilla accepted that. After the death of his grandmother, Charles wanted to marry Camilla but he chose to wait until Harry became of age (21 years old). However Camilla was not allowed to sit with him in such a society marriage and it was a huge embrassment or public humuliation to both of them. Under that situation, it was hard for Charles to sit with Camilla during her children's weddings and the falling of Major Shand's health, so on and so on. Any way, year 2005 was a perfect time for their marriage.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiyo
Maybe the younger will curtsey to the older crown princess as a matter of courtesy?
You would think so but Mette-Marit also curtsies to Victoria who is younger then her...
Old 07-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
You would think so but Mette-Marit also curtsies to Victoria who is younger then her...

But Victoria is a Crown Princess in her own right - i.e. she holds the same position as Mette-Marit's husband not Mette-Marit herself.

Mette-Marit is only a Crown Princess by marriage.

I would expect ALL other Crown Princesses to curtsey to Victoria, if they are curtseying to anyone.

I think the others curtesying to Camilla is a recognition that of the Crown Princes, Charles is the oldest and therefore the most senior.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince roots about at Botanics

PRINCE Charles is today set to get a special tour of a new exhibition at the Royal Botanic Garden after making a personal request to park bosses.

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=993932006
Old 07-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Camilla and Charles arrive for the Order of the Thistle service at St.Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, Scotland where she and her husband along with other members of the Royal family observed the nationwide two minute silence in honour of the many dead and injured from last year's London bombings. Reuters

Old 07-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Camilla and Charles arrive for the Order of the Thistle service at St.Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, Scotland where she and her husband along with other members of the Royal family observed the nationwide two minute silence in honour of the many dead and injured from last year's London bombings.
GOD!!! Why did her stylist take a day off???

But Iam proud of them for observing the moment of silence with every body.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, duchess of cornwall, prince charles, prince of wales