Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 15: June-July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree! Again this hat - It means that she need some more new hats!!

Skydragon said:
Camilla and Charles arrive for the Order of the Thistle service at St.Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh, Scotland where she and her husband along with other members of the Royal family observed the nationwide two minute silence in honour of the many dead and injured from last year's London bombings.
I know thses people have stylists, but they also have eyes. The hat is riduculous. It looks comical. She could have said no.

Last edited by a moderator:
redfox6 said:
I know thses people have stylists, but they also have eyes. The hat is riduculous. It looks comical. She could have said no.

But maybe she choose it by herself?

Btw. It was the Order of the Thistle service so maybe these leafs on her hat remind her a thistle?

Last edited:
I have to agree with you magnik, not one of her best, although I have to say the angle of the camera does not show it to advantage. :D :rolleyes:

I actually like the hat. I think it's very dramatic and summery.

BeatrixFan said:
I actually like the hat. I think it's very dramatic and summery.

I like it to; it's not an new hat, she has worn it before, don't know the occasion...............42-15551014.jpg

That was her first Garden Party. (Isn't it sad that I know that?)

BeatrixFan said:
That was her first Garden Party. (Isn't it sad that I know that?)

:eek: You're right; about the party and that you knew the occasion:D

LOL. Okay, I admit it. I'm devoted to Milla.

I really like the hat and liked it before. It was perfect for the summer party last year and matches perfect with the whole outfit. She could wear it more often. Looks very fresh.

I think the photographs today were a little unfair because of the downcast weather. It didn't show the green in the hat whereas when HRH wore it before, it was bright sunshine.

Royal Family at Queen Mother Garde unveiling - Edinburg

abacapress

Now the Queen and the Duchess have really make my day. The Queen is in that purple outfit I love so much and the Duchess is wearing that hat which I adore. Top marks to both.

Skydragon,
I love the way you have arranged the photos from smallest to largest, the photo-cropping is wonderful.
I love the content of the photos as well!

I saw a news article on the BBC this morning on church weddings, it shows that Charles and Camilla are just like the rest of Britain. New figures out suggest that only 25% of people in the UK, now choose a Church wedding (I can't find that article which was on the Beeb this morning in print yet).

the queen and the duchess

of love seeing the queen and the duchess in the same picture together and with smiles on there faces.:D

I'm sure that the ability to have civil weddings in venues other than register offices has contributed to that percentage, Skydragon. Now that civil weddings can be conducted at stately homes and grand hotels and so on, rather than having to be performed at the local register office, they've become a much more attractive alternative to church weddings.

sophie said:
of love seeing the queen and the duchess in the same picture together and with smiles on there faces.:D

Those photos are great. Both ladies look wonderful. I love the way the Queen is dressing now. For a while there I thought she wore some odd things, especially in the way of hats, but I really like her recent outfits with their crisp, clean lines and I also like the wide range of colours.

I think her Majesty must be very pleased that Camilla is handling her Royal duties so well and that she seems to bring out the best in Charles. I imagine her Majesty feels relieved in the knowledge that the future looks to be in good hands.

In England, a registrar can perform marriages that don't have any religious content (these are known as civil weddings); until a few years ago, all such marriages had to take place in the registrar's office, which is usually in the local government building and not a particularly memorable setting for weddings. Religious weddings can take place in the Church of England and other mainstream churches without a registrar being present, and the couple sign the register in the church; I think in some of the less mainstream churches, a registrar has to be present in order to make the marriage legal.

A few years ago, the government bowed to public pressure and allowed some buildings to be licensed as venues for civil weddings so that couples who wanted a more romantic setting than a government office could have a non-religious wedding. Unlike in the USA, religious weddings have to take place in churches.

Elspeth said:
I'm sure that the ability to have civil weddings in venues other than register offices has contributed to that percentage, Skydragon. Now that civil weddings can be conducted at stately homes and grand hotels and so on, rather than having to be performed at the local register office, they've become a much more attractive alternative to church weddings.

I'm sure it has contributed but, it remains a fact that ordinary people are showing more interest in the marriage, than where it is conducted. Years ago, marrying in a registry office was seen as less than perfect, by some.

Skydragon said:
glee - mirth, delight (watched the enemy's defeat with delight)
mirth - merriment, laughter, gloat - consider or contemplate with malice.

Taking pleasure in someone else's misfortune I think is the best description I can come up with. Goodness isn't English complicated! :D

No, it's not! German has a much more complicated structure than English but English has more words who0 deal directly with things while we need to combine words to get the right effect. Which is not a problem in everyday life but when it comes to literature (and translations) it gets a bit tricky - in both directions.

But the richness of the English language on a relative simple grammar structure is why I prefer the linguistic structure of English to that of German and enjoy reading English books more than German books. English is much richer in words and expressions so it's easier for a writer to say something right to the point. In German, you have to "work" with fewer words so you need to talk more "around the point" - if you want to express something clearly, you need much more words than in English (that is, if you know the right English word. I guess not to many "native speakers" can choose from the whole pool of expressions their language offers them).

Skydragon said:
I'm sure it has contributed but, it remains a fact that ordinary people are showing more interest in the marriage, than where it is conducted. Years ago, marrying in a registry office was seen as less than perfect, by some.
Here in Germany we still have the problem that to be a member of one of the great chruches, you have to automatically pay a part of your income as "church tax" - so quite a lot of people quit belonging to one of the churches. But then the priests won't marry you! Even though the pope ordered the German bishops to accept that quitting church because of tax payments does not necessarily mean people really want to leave their faith behind, the bishops still go with the order that noone is to be married in church who isn't a (tax paying) member...

Plus there are priests abound who won't marry two people who have not the same faith. Thus a lot people here don't marry in church.

Interestingly enough when I married my first husband we did it in the registry office (which you have to do in Germany anyway - without proof of the registration of your marriage at a registry office you are not allowed to be married in church!). As we both were not of the same faith, we couldn't marry in church but at least (for the sake of my very conservative relatives) we had a catholic blessing afterwards in one of the most beautiful baroque churches of Bavaria, at Moenchsdeggingen abbey.

If you're interested:
Here's a link to a pic of the abbey: http://www.feriendomizile.net/tipps_bilder/bm85983.jpeg

And that was the renaissance townhall where we married in the registry office which is the former meeting chamber of the town council from 1480 which made a very nice setting: http://www.oettingen.de/rathaus.jpg

Last edited:
Jo of Palatine said:
No, it's not! German has a much more complicated structure than English but English has more words who0 deal directly with things while we need to combine words to get the right effect. Which is not a problem in everyday life but when it comes to literature (and translations) it gets a bit tricky - in both directions.

Actually that's why I found German easy to learn, I only needed to know some basic words well enough and it seemed like I could read the whole language - because all the complex words were built from the simpler ones. The grammar is complex but if you've read Shakespearean or Chaucerian English its less inhibiting.

I used to speak French and German fluently - now after not practicing, I'm only really good in German.

Skydragon said:
The divorce only altered her status within her own circle, as with any divorced couple, people take sides. Her friends knew of her relationship with Charles and rallied around when it became public and they knew the truth about the allegations made by others. So no her social status was unchanged, IMO.

She was welcome at the events she had always attended as Camilla P-B, the problem arose at the Van Cutsems, because Charles wanted her to be sat with him and they did not want to be seen officially, to condone the relationship.

Perhaps we owe them a vote of thanks, without their stupidity, IMO, the issue may not have been raised and Charles and Camilla would not now be married.

Thank you for your assessment about Camilla's status. BTW - I wondered about the van Cutsems anyway because in her tapes for the Morton-book Diana claimed that Emily van Cutsem had told her before her wedding about Camilla and her position in Charles' life... Not nice, that!

But I think it was tough on Charles (as I always thought his being a gentleman is a very integrated part of him) to keep Camilla in the background for so long. It's good to see that they finally can be open about their relationship.

BTW - again the German yellow press picked up on the negative stories about Charles & Camilla. I once showed my house-keeper some pictures of the forums which showed how close and happy C&C are and she told me that the yellow press every week declares that they are about to divorce... She was completely astonished when she saw the coverage here - but then: who believes the German yellow press anyway?

ysbel said:
Actually that's why I found German easy to learn, I only needed to know some basic words well enough and it seemed like I could read the whole language - because all the complex words were built from the simpler ones. The grammar is complex but if you've read Shakespearean or Chaucerian English its less inhibiting.

I used to speak French and German fluently - now after not practicing, I'm only really good in German.

It depends on the level of your language. We do have a lot of words from foreign origins, which mostly come from Latin or Greek. In English you have the alternative of using the more "formal" word or the more "colloquial" one, while in Germany often only the "formal" one exists. So if you speak educated English you will have much less difficulties with German and French literature than people who use mainly ordinary English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom