Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 10: December 2005-January 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that Queen Mary I :)
If you go to Getty Images and type in "Prince Charles flying" into the editorial section you can see some pics of him flying on the 2nd page but they're watermarked. (sorry i have yet to master the art of posting pics!)

Last edited:
Queen Mary I said:
He learned to fly jets no less and according to the RF website he earned his RAF wings in 1971:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page460.asp

I haven't been able to locate photographs of Charles the pilot in the cockpit. :)

For many years ( don't know if he still does it) Charles when flying by private plane ( Royal Andovers I think) would do the 'interesting bits' the take offs and landings and leave the more boring bits, flying in between to the scheduled pilots. I have seen pictures of him in the cockpit published in a variety of newspapers.

I do hope that Charles will get along with his parents especially his father after his marriage with Camilla. It will be too sad for them to keep a cold relationships because they are not young anymore. Charles loves and respects his parents but he has a different type of character which is hard for his parents to understand and accept. I do hope that Camilla can help Charles in easing his relationships with his parents. Camilla had a wonderful family relationships and she can make Charles happy which is the key to improve things around him.

Finally, I think there will be a state visit to China in 2006. If Queen and Duke want to go, it will be a good idea and they will be welcomed. If they want Charles and Camilla to visit China, it will be a good chance for Charles to understand China and solve the embrassment about his journal.

It will be his first state visit to China and Camilla and he will be warmly welcomed. I think Charles will enjoy Chinese culture and Chinese Gardens and historical things about China and he can present his views about the envirnment protection and other his long term view. Charles dislikes China because of his bias about China's communist regime and its problems. I am not denying the human rights, the region and other issues, but people there are still nice people. He should see the point. Charles should change his view about China not being influenced by his limited knowlege about some fields. At least he should learn to see things differently and think about both sides. China will be a good beginning for him.

love_cc said:
It will be his first state visit to China and Camilla and he will be warmly welcomed. I think Charles will enjoy Chinese culture and Chinese Gardens and historical things about China and he can present his views about the envirnment protection and other his long term view. Charles dislikes China because of his bias about China's communist regime and its problems. I am not denying the human rights, the region and other issues, but people there are still nice people. .

what is so 'biased' about not liking an oppressive regime?

Charlotte1 said:
For many years ( don't know if he still does it) Charles when flying by private plane ( Royal Andovers I think) would do the 'interesting bits' the take offs and landings and leave the more boring bits, flying in between to the scheduled pilots. I have seen pictures of him in the cockpit published in a variety of newspapers.

He does the flying, except when it's on autopilot. When he went to one of the Scottish Islands, (Benbecula), there was a problem with the landing and in extremly wet and boggy conditions, the plane skidded, (I think) and there were calls for him to give up flying. His co-pilot pointed out that he would have had problems as well, due to the conditions and was glad that Charles was the pilot!:)

maryshawn said:
I'd love to know how she did it! (my sister's been a chainsmoker for years and has tried patches, hypnotherapy,.....). Has she ever said what she did or did she just go cold turkey?

No, there has never been any details about the how. A friend of mine did it through hypnosis and determination.:D

Will's princess said:
I wonder how Camilla coped on the journey to America, what with her extreme fear of flying? I read somewhere that Charles gets quite exasperated with her fear of flying and can't understand it but this is probably because he's so used to it. Plus I think this is totally untrue because from the footage I have seen he seems to always try to put Camilla at ease and I'm sure that on a plane he'd try to keep her calm, don't you think?

I don't think it's an extreme fear, just very nervous (I was wrong to use the word fear in the first place:eek: ). I would imagine he can't understand why anyone would be nervous and would do everything he could to reassure her!:)

love_cc said:
Finally, I think there will be a state visit to China in 2006. If Queen and Duke want to go, it will be a good idea and they will be welcomed. If they want Charles and Camilla to visit China, it will be a good chance for Charles to understand China and solve the embrassment about his journal.

It will be his first state visit to China and Camilla and he will be warmly welcomed.

I believe to be called a "state" visit it must involve one head of state visiting another head of state. Charles could visit, but it wouldn't be called a state visit.

Camilla costs £566,000 a year as price of foreign trips soars
By Robert Verkaik
Published: 03 January 2006
The growing social profile of Camilla Parker Bowles led an American advertising guru to predict that the Duchess of Cornwall may become the "It girl" of 2006. But such projection does not come cheap. The bill for the new constitutional role adopted by Camilla in 2005 was an estimated £566,000 - met by a combination of public funds and the subsidised profits of Prince Charles's estates.
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article336265.ece

Incas said:
Camilla costs £566,000 a year as price of foreign trips soars
The growing social profile of Camilla Parker Bowles led an American advertising guru to predict that the Duchess of Cornwall may become the "It girl" of 2006. But such projection does not come cheap. The bill for the new constitutional role adopted by Camilla in 2005 was an estimated £566,000 - met by a combination of public funds and the subsidised profits of Prince Charles's estates.
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article336265.ece

The key words here are ESTIMATED and COMBINATION. Yes Charles applies for grants and gets tax breaks like any company. It just shows what an astute business man he is, with astute advisors!
Why can't they say that Charles indeed pays for a lot of Camilla's things himself and has set up a trust fund, like any husband would like to be able to do.

As for the sad and sorry, virtually unknown MP, lets have a close look at his accounts with all the allowances he claims!

Camilla is well worth the money spent on her!

When you look at it, some countries pay 5 times as much to keep their Presidents. We have it cheap, especially for what we get back. He's an unknown MP trying to make a name for himself and should be ignored. You can run Monarchy on a budget.

BeatrixFan..you have that right!

In the US we still pay (security, a reduced salary, etc) for all the living ex Presidents. So thats Ford, Carter, Clinton and the 1st Bush!

In the US we still pay (security, a reduced salary, etc) for all the living ex Presidents. So thats Ford, Carter, Clinton and the 1st Bush!

I remember the film, 'Guarding Tess'. She certainly wasn't living rough!

Well, the Independent has always been anti-monarchy right from its inception. It's interesting how a judicious choice of words makes such a difference to the impression given, isn't it?

I always read those articles and I never get it. They are your monarchy you have to pay for them. I dont get why such a fuss is made. Every country pays for their heads of state. And its not like its expensive.

Princejonnhy25 said:
I always read those articles and I never get it. They are your monarchy you have to pay for them. I dont get why such a fuss is made. Every country pays for their heads of state. And its not like its expensive.

I know we don't discuss politics but, I can't help but wonder how much it costs us to 'run' the Blairs!

Skydragon said:
I know we don't discuss politics but, I can't help but wonder how much it costs us to 'run' the Blairs!

exactly or here in america "the world's greatest democracy" i dont even want to contemplate how much it costs to 'run' the bushes.

Yes - it seems to me as if somehow the people who make these claims about the RF costing too much think that if they got rid of the monarchy then they would save these costs rather than the increase that would happen due to the costs of elections every so often, etc.

Heads of State don't come cheap.

chrissy57 said:
Yes - it seems to me as if somehow the people who make these claims about the RF costing too much think that if they got rid of the monarchy then they would save these costs rather than the increase that would happen due to the costs of elections every so often, etc.

Heads of State don't come cheap.

indeed! I talked to a dutch friend right after the US presidential election. he's not a big monarchist but he told me he had heard that there was 40 million spent in the election campaign. the dutch spend roughly 10 million a year on the house of orange. he said he's glad we spend the money on them to avoid having to put up with that huge election circus every 4 years.

Will's princess said:
Thanks for that Queen Mary I :)
If you go to Getty Images and type in "Prince Charles flying" into the editorial section you can see some pics of him flying on the 2nd page but they're watermarked. (sorry i have yet to master the art of posting pics!)

Thank you Will's princess! Duh! I forgot about Getty!

Since this is the current events thread I have read reports about yet another alleged 'snub' to Camilla and I found this from the Telegraph a (please don't shoot the messenger folks):

From The Telegraph:

'New Year's Snub For Camilla?'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...portaltop.html

My sister-in-law's mother went to the New Year's service. I asked her to please report back but she could not recall that Camilla's name was mentioned 'I wasn't looking out for it' she told me and 'the Queen looked smashing!' as an aside.

If it is true that the vicar referred questions about this to the Palace-then it seems to have been an order from above and imo Her Majesty is still coming to terms with Milla IMO. They did mention her name during the Christmas service at Sandrinham when she was present. Perhaps this is a pattern for the future. We shall see. But in the end-pray for whomever or whatever you want.
http://--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't find the Telegraph article; the link just goes to the main page, and searching isn't helping much. Could you give a synopsis?

Elspeth said:
I can't find the Telegraph article; the link just goes to the main page, and searching isn't helping much. Could you give a synopsis?

I'm sorry I broke up the link somehow when I copied it. It basically said the Rev. Riviere did not mention Camilla's name, and he received some protests because of this. He was asked about it and referred reporters to the Palace Press Room. Here I will try again:

telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/01/01/ucam.xml&sSheet=/portal/2006/01/01/ixportaltop.html

For some reason the link gets compressed. I will type it out and see if that helps. Or maybe removing the underline? Okay I just split it so the whole link doesn't disappear. I think you can copy/paste. I tried again but the same thing happens the link gets compressed. Okay it looks like the whole thing fits if I remove the http//www. Just type that to the front of the link above manually. I just tested it. It works if you just copy/paste the link. No need to type in the www. Actually I just clicked on it and it took me directly to the article. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for finding the correct link!

I see this is a topic that's going to be the basis for endless discussions in the press about the deeper meanings and subtexts going on. The Queen must really love it! I assume that, if the Queen has said she isn't to be mentioned in prayers, it's not surprising that it wasn't. The Christmas Day service was a special occasion and they may have made a special exception for it. The New Years Day service would have just been a regular Sunday service - the Royal Family don't usually go to church on New Year's Day, do they, if it isn't a Sunday?

Elspeth said:
Thanks for finding the correct link!

I see this is a topic that's going to be the basis for endless discussions in the press about the deeper meanings and subtexts going on. The Queen must really love it! I assume that, if the Queen has said she isn't to be mentioned in prayers, it's not surprising that it wasn't. The Christmas Day service was a special occasion and they may have made a special exception for it. The New Years Day service would have just been a regular Sunday service - the Royal Family don't usually go to church on New Year's Day, do they, if it isn't a Sunday?

I'm not certain. Quite frankly each year it is the Chrismas service I look out for. This only came up because once again someone said something or posted something-and I decided to try and check it out for myself.

I can easily imagine our modern day Good Queen Bess chuckling to herself at all this fuss. I am almost certain she has a laptop and keeps 'up to date' on all the Royal gossip. ;) Well she has a brand new giant screen telly so I hear so why not a laptop?

Queen Mary I said:
I can easily imagine our modern day Good Queen Bess chuckling to herself at all this fuss. I am almost certain she has a laptop and keeps 'up to date' on all the Royal gossip.
Perhaps she checks out the TRF 'New Posts' daily? :D

Queen Mary I said:
'New Year's Snub For Camilla?'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...portaltop.html

My sister-in-law's mother went to the New Year's service. I asked her to please report back but she could not recall that Camilla's name was mentioned 'I wasn't looking out for it' she told me and 'the Queen looked smashing!' as an aside.

New Year's service was just a nomal service, the press here made a great deal out of it because news was a little short on the ground!
Your sister-in-laws mother must have felt honoured as it is only people who are invited or work on the estate (and have all been vetted) who are normally allowed in!:)

The personal expenses of Camilla Parker worry to the Parliament

The expenses of the Duchess of Cornualles worry to the Committee about Public Accounts of the British Parliament, that compares its invoices with those of the deceased Diana of Wales. Camilla invested the last year 821,000 euros in personal expenses, between which they emphasize 43,500 euros in hairdressing salon or 58,000 euros in a private driver.

from http://www.hola.com

fanletizia said:
The expenses of the Duchess of Cornualles worry to the Committee about Public Accounts of the British Parliament, that compares its invoices with those of the deceased Diana of Wales. http://www.hola.com
I can't get the link to work right. Did they factor in inflation or not in the comparison? ;)

I wonder if the Public Accounts Committee will be publicly examining and questioning Cherie Blair's invoices, and if not, why not? Surely the Duchess of Cornwall is not the only female in the United Kingdom to have performed duties on behalf of the State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom