The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Heir Apparent

i got news from telegraph check it out!

Fears for Harry as MoD refuses security update
By Sean Rayment, Defence Correspondent
(Filed: 05/06/2005)

Moves by senior officers to improve security at the Sandhurst Royal Military Academy, where Prince Harry is an officer cadet, have been rejected by the Ministry of Defence.

Officers at the academy made a request this year to the Army Training and Recruiting Agency - the organisation responsible for Army training - for a £1.5 million budget increase to improve security for "VIP cadets".

Prince Harry was brought to Sandhurst by his father in May
The Sunday Telegraph has learnt, however, that the request was refused after civil servants at the MoD ruled that the Army's £600 million training budget was exhausted.

The ruling has astonished officers because of the heightened security threat against military and official government buildings from al-Qaeda-linked organisations, which has been in place for more than a year.

It is understood that senior officers wanted to improve fencing in parts of the academy and to replace many of the older closed-circuit television cameras with more effective devices that can operate 24-hours a day in all-weather conditions.

There were also plans to put cameras on masts which could cover areas of the academy's perimeter that might potentially be breached from outside.

It is understood that the security review took place earlier this year when Prince Harry's impending arrival at the academy helped "to focus the minds" of those officers responsible for security of "VIP cadets", usually from foreign royal families.

This newspaper has learnt that the academy is regarded as "a nightmare to secure" because it is home to hundreds of servicemen and women and their families and borders a military training area covering several hundred acres of wood and scrubland.

Although the academy is surrounded by razor wire-topped fencing, hundreds of civilians enter its grounds each week on guided tours, to visit the museum or attend private functions in the chapel.

Details of the ruling come in the same week that Prince Harry, 20, was photographed taking part in exercise Self Reliance, one of the first exercises that cadets undertake. The pictures, which were taken secretly, have infuriated defence chiefs, who have issued a plea to newspaper editors to desist from taking photographs of the Prince training at Sandhurst.

Patrick Mercer, the Conservative spokesman for homeland security, said: "The decision not to improve security does not make sense. This is another example of how the Government has allowed the Army budget to be cut and cut. What seems like an enormous sum would actually be small beer compared to the repercussions if anything happened to the royal prince on MoD property. The Government has got to face up to its responsibilities."

A senior Army officer, said: "Sandhurst is more of a terrorist target now than it was prior to the Prince's arrival. It will also be a target for unscrupulous photographers hoping to make a fortune selling pictures of Prince Harry to the tabloids. The aim of improving security was to protect the VIPs from all threats."

A spokesman for the MoD said: "There was a review of security. No request to enhance security has been rejected for budgetary reasons. A proposal to increase the military provost guard service was turned down. For operational reasons we are not prepared to go into the extent of the security review at Sandhurst."

Publishers wishing to reproduce photographs on this page should phone 44 (0) 207 538 7505 or e-mail syndication@telegraph.co.uk

Old 06-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

That is really dumb of them. When royals go places, security is usually tightened alot so that nothing bad will happen. And nothing bad ever does happen.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

check it out on Sky news

Harry: Army exercises
<A class=LargeBody>HARRY EXCUSED BOOTShttp://Prince Harry has been allowed... <br /> <br />The 20-year-old Prince, who is undergoing basic training at the Royal Military Academy in Surrey, developed weals on his feet after a tough five-day excursion last week.

As part of the exercise, known as Operation Self-Reliance, Harry reportedly endured 10-mile yomps through Ashdown Forest in East Sussex carrying a heavy back pack and rifle.

Normally, new cadets are barred from wearing any footwear except for the heavy black lace-up boots, which are provided several months in advance so they can break them in.

However, the Prince was apparently granted special dispensation to wear trainers after he asked medical staff to dress his wounds and they saw how bad the blisters were.

A royal source confirmed that the Prince had visited the infirmary after developing blisters, but said it had been a "minor thing".

"He's not the only one," the source added.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Heir Apparent

check it out on BBC News

Harry excused boots for blisters

Royal sources say Harry is not the only cadet to have had treatment

Prince Harry has been excused from wearing his heavy boots at Sandhurst after suffering agonising blisters.

The 20-year-old, undergoing basic training at the Surrey Royal Military Academy, developed weals on his feet during a gruelling five-day exercise.

Operation Self-Reliance reportedly required him to endure 10-mile yomps through Ashdown Forest in East Sussex carrying a heavy back pack and rifle.

Royal sources say Harry is not the only cadet to have visited the infirmary.

He was apparently granted special dispensation to wear trainers after he asked medical staff to dress his wounds and they saw how bad the blisters were.

Cadets are normally barred from wearing any footwear except for their boots, which are provided several months in advance so they can break them in.

Knee injury

The prince's entry into Sandhurst was delayed from earlier in the year to allow a knee injury to recover.

He had been due to enrol at the college in January but injured his knee while training with the Army ahead of his test during the summer. He aggravated the injury in October while coaching children for the Rugby Football Union. Other famous figures who attended Sandhurst include the Sultan of Brunei, Prince Michael of Kent and Sir Winston Churchill.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Weals are the same thing as blisters, right?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Serene Highness

I don't know what a weal is but a blister is a little lump of water you have under your skin after walking all day long in stilettos for example. Hope that's help.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Blisters are little pools of fluid under the top layers of the skin, usually caused by friction. Weals are raised marks on the skin which are usually red and inflamed; they're caused by injury or allergy. They aren't quite the same thing as blisters.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ok. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Heir Apparent

YAHOO NEWS

Father of Prince Harry's girlfriend defends Zimbabwe regime links

Fri Jun 10, 8:43 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - The father of Chelsy Davy, the girlfriend of Britain's Prince Harry, rejected allegations he is helping to sustain President Robert Mugabe's government in Zimbabwe.

ADVERTISEMENT
http://&#91;img]http://mds.centrport.net...7548&#91;/img]if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("");if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=FF76rM6.I3oQBM8QQqpT7BOrRDMSqUKqbjgACoE0&T=15s3rha35%2fX%3d1118465592%2fE%3d95959779%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d3304968604%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJidXNpbmVzcztEZW1vY3JhdGljIg--%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d5023BECE');yzq_a('a', '&U=139odthub%2fN%3d42F3KM6.Ir0-%2fC%3d351857.6606438.7587585.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d2787354');}
Charles Davy, a safari operator in Zimbabwe, gave a rare interview to The Daily Telegraph to defend his business ties with Webster Shamu, a lawmaker from Mugabe's ruling ZANU-PF party.

Davy's blonde 19-year-old daughter Chelsy, a university student in South Africa, is going out with Harry, 20, third in line to the British throne, who is currently undergoing British army officer training.

Shamu, a minister in Mugabe's office charged with policy implementation, is on a list of 95 Zimbabweans barred from entering the European Union. He also runs Famba Safari Company, in which Davy, along with another partner, holds a 50 percent stake.

"I am in business with Mr Shamu and have been for five years," said Davy, whose safari ranch in Zimbabwe covers 3,367 square kilometres (1,300 square miles).

"We have an excellent and honest business partnership. Why should this change? I am in business, not politics."

"I am in partnership with a person who I personally like and get along with," Davy added.

"I am not involved in politics in any way, but I reserve my right of association, as any person should, and I really do not see that the leaders of any political party have the right to choose my friends or business associates."

The main opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) told the Daily Telegraph that Davy's links with Shamu meant he was sustaining Mugabe's government and that he should therefore be added to the EU's blacklist.

"If people like Charles Davy are indirectly involved in businesses with the regime, they... should be included on the list," MDC secretary general Welshman Ncube said.

Old 06-11-2005, 01:13 AM
Heir Apparent

TELEGRAPH NEWS

Chelsy's dad speaks out
By David Blair, Africa Correspondent
(Filed: 11/06/2005)

Charles Davy, the father of Prince Harry's girlfriend, Chelsy, defended himself in public for the first time yesterday against allegations that his business partnership with one of President Robert Mugabe's ministers helps sustain the Zimbabwean regime.

Mr Davy, a wealthy safari operator in Zimbabwe, owns a stake in one of Africa's largest private game reserves.

Harry's relationship has led to 'press rubbish'His business links with a minister have aroused suspicion in Zimbabwe, where all but a handful of white landowners have been dispossessed, and prompted calls for him to be punished with sanctions.

Mr Davy, 53, broke his silence to respond to questions from The Daily Telegraph about his business relationship with Webster Shamu, the minister in the president's office responsible for policy implementation.

Mr Shamu, an MP from the ruling Zanu-PF party, features on a list of 95 prominent Zimbabweans banned from entering the European Union.

"I am in business with Mr Shamu and have been for five years," said Mr Davy. "We have an excellent and honest business partnership. Why should this change? I am in business not politics."

He claimed that he was not spared the Mugabe campaign of dispossessing white farmers, saying that he gave up 140,000 acres to the government.

Following Mr Mugabe's campaign of bulldozing townships across the country, which has left 200,000 people homeless and caused at least two deaths, the opposition Movement for Democratic Change said yesterday that Mr Davy's links with the Zanu-PF politician meant he was "sustaining" the regime and would justify his inclusion on the EU's list.

"The MDC has called for all people directly or indirectly involved in repression to be placed on the targeted sanctions list," said Welshman Ncube, the MDC's secretary-general.

"People who sustain the regime directly or indirectly through their businesses should also be included.

"If people like Charles Davy are indirectly involved in businesses with the regime they fall under the second category and should be included on the list."

The EU's list is reviewed every 12 months and comes up for debate next February.

Mr Mugabe's bulldozers will help ensure the renewal of the EU's "targeted sanctions" for another year.

The measures include a freeze on any assets that listed individuals hold in European banks. Mr Davy rejected the MDC's criticism, saying: "I am in partnership with a person who I personally like and get along with.

"I am not involved in politics in any way but I reserve my right of association, as any person should, and I really do not see that the leaders of any political party have the right to choose my friends or my business associates."

Mr Shamu, a former editor of The People's Voice, Zanu-PF's propaganda newsletter, combines his government post with running Famba Safari Company.

Together with another partner, Mr Davy said that he owned 50 per cent of Famba. His own company provides marketing services for Famba and his brother, Vincent, works with Mr Shamu as a director of Famba.

Mr Davy's relationship with a Zimbabwean minister has aroused suspicions that it is only because of links to Mr Shamu that he has managed to stay in business while white commercial farmers have been dispossessed.

But he said: "I have never received and do not receive any benefits outside my business relationship with Mr Shamu."

Mr Davy's children, Sean, 21, and Chelsy, 19, are students at Cape Town University.

His daughter's relationship with Prince Harry had caused a "spate of rubbish" to appear about him in the press, he said.

"I have decided to put the facts on the table in the hope that you will either leave me alone or at least write the truth and limit the adverse impact of all these untruths on my children."

Mr Davy owns a five per cent stake in Lemco Safari Area, a private game reserve covering 1,300 square miles in southern Zimbabwe.

He runs hunting safaris for clients who typically pay £660 a day to shoot big game, including lion, elephant, leopard and buffalo.

He divides his time between homes in the Burnside suburb of Bulawayo, the Chisipite area of Harare and a spacious homestead in the rugged bush of Lemco Safari Area.

When Mr Mugabe began seizing white-owned land five years ago, Mr Davy made a "strategic decision" to sacrifice four other farms, covering 140,000 acres, to the government for resettlement.

"I have given up a rather large part of my life to end up with the bit I have left," he said. "A lot of farmers in Zimbabwe have lost their farms and I am no different."

Mr Davy's hunting business provides homes and livelihoods for 600 black families.

He called on the MDC to "concentrate on repairing the situation here in Zimbabwe rather than trying to disrupt" his work.

Publishers wishing to reproduce photographs on this page should phone 44 (0) 207 538 7505 or e-mail syndication@telegraph.co.uk
Old 06-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is really not what Harry needs right now.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Aristocracy

Chelsy's father runs a preserve where endangered species are hunted. ENDANGERED SPECIES PEOPLE!! It goes beyond that. In Zimbabawe there have been insanely violent land confiscations and as a result famine has resulted, also now Mugabe is destroying cities. As for Maxima, well, this affects Britain more directly. Plus Chelsy is a "party girl"; anyone who does a twenty minute screw in a public bathroom no less is not Duchess material.

Quote:
She's far from pretty. She has a nose like a pig's snout.
I completely agree. She kind of looks trashy.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

If I was Charles, I wouldn't let Harry date a girl like Chelsy. Like father like daughter.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Harry's lessons in how to act like a proper prince Tuesday, 14 June 2005 ON recent form, Prince Harry is more likely to be seen being carried out of a nightclub than attending a high-society dinner party.

But along with his fellow recruits at Sandhurst, he is about to be given lessons in how to behave at the table.

Starting today, Officer Cadet Wales, as he is known at the Royal Military College in Surrey, will be put through his paces on a course entitled 'The Exemplary Officer'.

Covering everything from which cutlery to use at the dinner table to how to give the loyal toast, the course is designed to bring students up to scratch in the standards expected of a British Army officer.

Other topics tackled during the three, hour-long classes include conversational skills, such as making sure you talk to the person on your left for the first course, followed by the person to your right for the main.

There are also certain rules peculiar to the Army, such as those forbidding cadets from leaving the table to visit the lavatory until the end of the Loyal Toast.

One of the worst faux pas would be to pass the port incorrectly. It is always served by the host of the evening who will pour a glass for the person seated to his right, then himself before passing the bottle round the table to the left.

In some regiments the decanter is not allowed to touch the table while others insist it never leaves it.

The cadets' social skills will be examined at a five-course 'mess dinner' in the officers' quarters.

All in all it should prove quite a test for 20-year-old Harry, whose deportment often leaves much to be desired.

Since he joined Sandhurst five weeks ago, he has twice been criticised over his 'attitude' - once when he was caught lounging around on a wall instead of standing to attention.

'Twenty-five years ago a course such as this simply wouldn't have been needed,' said a college source. 'Nowadays, however, new recruits come from such diverse backgrounds - less than half from public schools - and it was deemed necessary to ensure they all have the same social skills.

'The mess dinners are a crucial part of an officer's life and have a unique etiquette involved, so a little coaching will never go amiss.'

One former Sandhurst cadet said yesterday: 'Given his upbringing, Harry should have a good start on how to behave. 'But he should be warned of a few tricks the new cadets like to play during mess dinners.

'Sometimes they tie your chair leg to the table so you cannot stand when it comes to the toasts.

'And it has been known for people to move their dinner plate only to find a naked picture carefully placed underneath it.'

By Rebecca English, Royal Correspondent
Daily Mail June 14 2005
Old 06-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Serene Highness

From Hellomagazine.com

HARRY LEARNS THE FACTS OF LIFE AT SANDHURST
Prince Charles' younger son Prince Harry will be getting crash courses in sex ed and social skills as part of his military training at Sandhurst.

Along with fellow military cadets, the Prince will be attending a two-hour lecture entitled "The Facts Of Life" this week, learning about contraception and sexually transmitted diseases.

And while the young recruits will be schooled on such private matters, they'll also learn how to put on a good public face as well. Officer Cadet Wales, as he is known at the prestigious academy, is also expected to adopt impeccable table manners in a course called "The Exemplary Officer".

There, Harry, who has been reprimanded for his "attitude" in the past, will learn conversation skills, proper use of cutlery and toasting etiquette, all in preparation for a gruelling five-course dinner examination.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Like Harry really needs to learn this! He has practically been taught to be proper since he was born.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

SUN NEWSPAPER

Harry was a sitting duck
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2005270563,00.html

Sara Boyce
Old 06-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

SKY NEWS

WAS IT OR WASN'T IT HARRY?
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...371253,00.html

yours views: Security