Prince Harry Current Events 4: October 2004-January 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia

Royal Highness
Here is the new thread to begin polite discussions on Prince Harry...

Thank you for the new thread, I just hope things don't get as out of hand as they did in the last thread!

One article I read said that Harry departed the following day (after the nightclub incident) for a holiday with friends? Any ideas where he went? Somewhere warm would be my guess!

Thanks for starting off the discussion, Britters.

I wish I could tell you where he went on holiday but I have no idea. I think your guess of somewhere warm is a good one!

Another vacation? I'd kill for a week in Jersey every 6 months or so, and this guy's lounging on the beach every other day.

Hee hee hee Grecka-it would be nice to just take off and go!

I'm sure we'll see photos from this vacation creep into the tabloids.

bluetortuga said:
I'm sure we'll see photos from this vacation creep into the tabloids.
No name-calling, please.

Thank you.

Julia said:
No name-calling, please.

Thank you.
I'm sorry I wasn't name calling. I used "creep" as a verb not a noun. Photos from the vacation creep (verb) into the tabloids, that is, find their way subtlely in.

Ah, thank you for the clarification! It's been a long Friday and my eyes are very tired. Apologies for the misunderstanding...

Last edited:
Hee hee hee Grecka-it would be nice to just take off and go!
How completely right you are. When I was a kid, I would have killed to be an adult. Now, at 20, I would kill to leave it all behind and just be completely carefree every day. I suppose the grass isn't greener on the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what i have to say to that event concerning Prince Harry and the photographer, good on ya Harry, kick him up the backside next time, so they all can learn to back off.. They didn't leave his mother alone.. Every member of the Royals families around the world , entertainers are human beings and they deserve to have a private life too, who cares who they kiss or what they drink or what they do.. it's so annoying, to see them been so attacked by the press and the photographers.. whether they were born in the spot light or not they deserve to have a private life too..

It's an interesting article for a the Editor of Majesty magazine to write, as Ingrid doesn't shed a very good light on Harry. However her tone is more sympathetic then anything else I would say...seems almost bland.

Reina said:
Here is a great article from Ingrid Seward on this incident. It is very good analysis.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/14216182?source=Evening%20Standa
Thanks for this article Reina. I don't necessarily agree with all that Ingrid Seward has said, but I do think it is a very thoughtful analysis of Harry and his life and the potential reasons behind his very strong reaction to the circumstances the other night.

I don't condone in the least what transpired between Harry and the photographer, but I do understand why Harry had such a violent reaction to the circumstances. I think considering Harry's history (losing his mom because the paparazzi were chasing her and his and his family's constant media following), his obviously short fuse, the recent accusations of his cheating adding pressure and unwanted strain to his life whether true or not, the late hour combined with alcohol, and the "confrontation" or bombardment of media outside of the club as he was leaving led him to not be rational or reasonable under the circumstances.

A few years ago, a friend's father passed away in a rather horrific road accident that closed a major highway for several hours during the Easter long weekend when many people were heading out of the city to be with family and friends. My other friends and I rushed home from our respective universities to be with my friend. Several local television news reporters and their cameramen and newspaper reporters tracked my friend and her family at their home, and when I opened the door less than 6 hours after the car accident there were about a dozen reporters, camera crew, photographers, etc. on her doorstep wanting a comment from her family. I am not a violent person in the least but under those circumstances I was pretty angry, even though it was not my direct loss. Not my proudest moment but I cursed profusely at all of them (even though I was in my first year of journalism school and understood that they were merely doing their job), gave them the finger and slammed the door in their face then called the police and reported them all for tresspassing.

I would just like to say this because it has not been said: Yay!!!!! New thread!!!!

Now about what Ingrid Seward said, cuddling? Harry+cuddling=? But I do think that she is a somewhat good reporter- every other story I've heard about this incident sounds exactly alike. But this one is quite different.

And Alexandria, I have to give you your props for what you did. (For any of you who do not know what this slang term means, its a positive word.)

I think Ingrid Seward's piece is a fair, middle-of-the-road assessment of P. Harry. However, his actions have eroded all my sympathy. In spite of the loss of his mother, P. Harry does have a loving, caring father, who has gone to great lengths to care for and protect his children. And in spite of what many think of the Windsors, they are a close knit family in many respects and they support their own.

P. Harry's a grown man, he doesn't need any cuddling. I think Sandhurst will give him the huge reality check he sorely needs. They don't care who you are, as they are accustomed to training royalty from all over the world. If he doesn't shape up after 11 months of training at Sandhurst, then he's truly out of control and nothing can help him. I find it hard to believe that someone whose own mother died at the hands of a drunk driver, would allow himself to be in drunken condition so often.

Prince Harry

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/24/nharry24.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/10/24/ixhome.html

'No apology' for photographer hurt in scuffle with Harry
By Andrew Alderson, Chief Reporter
(Filed: 24/10/2004)

Prince Harry will not apologise to the photographer involved in a scuffle with him outside a nightclub because his father's private office blames the "aggressive" behaviour of the paparazzi for the incident last week.

Paddy Harverson, the comunications secretary at Clarence House, said yesterday that the Prince had been "monstered" and "completely submerged" by photographers as he left the Pangaea nightclub in the West End of London shortly after 3am on Thursday.

Mr Harverson admitted for the first time that Prince Harry, 20, had lost his temper after being accidentally "smacked in the head" by a camera, but said the Prince of Wales had been "supportive and sympathetic" towards his younger son.

Chris Uncle, 24, a photographer who works for the Big Pictures agency, was left with a cut lip after the scuffle. Mr Uncle, who reported the incident to the police, claimed that the Prince jumped out of his car and "deliberately lashed out".

Mr Harverson was interviewed on BBC Radio 5's Five yesterday morning and said that the photographers outside the nightclub had been "much pushier" than usual.

When asked if there would be an apology to the photographer involved, Mr Harverson replied: "It certainly seems to be the month for apologies, but no, I don't think that it really requires that. I think it is fairly straightforward.

"OK, he lost his temper. It does happen. Let's not get it out of all proportions Let's cut him some slack. There was a bit of a scuffle. It was a bit unseemly but let's not make more of it than it was."

Mr Harverson, who advises Prince Harry and his brother Prince William on media relations, said Prince Harry was not a "party prince", a "cartoon character" or the "one-dimensional character" that some sections of the media like to portray. "He is a good young man trying to make his way in the world in a very, very public situation," he said.

"He is growing up and, by and large, his behaviour has been excellent. What do you want him to do? Stay indoors all day? If he did that, people would say he was something of a weirdo: where is Harry and why isn't he out?"

Prince Harry is on an extended gap year before joining the Royal Military Aacademy Sandhurst in January on an officer training course. He spoke to his father, who is on an official visit to Italy, by telephone on Friday and is believed to have expressed his regret over the incident.

Mr Harverson said: "He [Prince Charles] recognises the situation he [Prince Harry] has been in. He is perhaps one of the few people who understands what it is like to be in that situation. Though when the Prince of Wales was a lot younger the media was different and the paparazzi certainly weren't behaving like they do now. It is a different world and for the paparazzi pictures are worth a lot of money, particularly of Harry and his brother William."

Mr Harverson said he believed that the photographer at the centre of the incident had not asked to press charges and it was time to move on. The Prince is spending "a private weekend" away with friends.

"Prince Harry is looking forward very much to going to Sandhurst," said Mr Harverson. "He passed his examinations with flying colours in terms of getting into the Army. He loves the idea of joining the Army and he will have a great time."

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
Hmmmm...note to self: go to Argentina.
hahah, I wish I was grounded like that.

Mom: Go to your room!...In Argentina!

hahaha actually my mother did ger very mad at me once & she was so angry she didn't talk to me. She had my mate call me & tell me that I was being sent off with her on vacation for 2 weeks. It was the best grounding ever but I guess she just couldn't be around me she was so mad.

lol i love getting ground caz at least in your room u dont get annoyed can lie around talking on the phone and if all else fails jump out bedroom window and make a run for it lol

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/14650691?source=Evening%20Standard
No special treatment for Harry
By Robert Jobson Royal Correspondent, Evening Standard
11 November 2004

Prince Harry was today warned not to expect any privileges when he starts his Army training at Sandhurst.

He will be known as Mr Wales and will be under the command of tough sergeant-majors as he is put through a basic training programme.

Sandhurst Commandant Major-General Andrew Ritchie spelled out exactly what the 20-year-old prince could expect in January.

pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif

pixel.gif

pixel.gif
pixel.gif
pixel.gif
He said: "The ethos of Sandhurst is that every single cadet that comes here will be treated the same as everyone else. They will meet some fierce guard sergeants who will maintain that ethos. Everybody has to prove themselves here."

He added: "We are used to people who are used to working four hours a day and sleeping twenty: we aim to reverse that cycle."

Harry will be given five weeks' square-bashing with a no-nonsense sergeant before getting lessons in leadership.

Harry, the most senior modern royal to train as an army officer, will also have to meet tough standards if he is to pass out. He will be one of three royal princes - including one from the Himalayan kingdom of Bhutan - on the course.

Major Cameron Day, from Sandhurst, said today: "He will get no special treatment. The commanding officer has made that quite clear. We're used to having princes among the cadets - the entire Jordanian royal family trained here - so Harry will just be one of the guys."

He will take a special crash course in basic soldiering which lasts five weeks, half the time of the noncommissioned officers.

After that, he will start his "leadership training".

During his 44-week course, Harry will also go on adventure training exercises which could include diving in the Red Sea, walking through the Grand Canyon or rock climbing in the Andes. Of the 800 cadets, only about 10 per cent fail to complete the course each year. Dropouts are usually due to a change of heart about a career, injury or failure to reach required standards. The average age is 23.

Cadet Harry Set for A Hard Time at Sandhurst

By Laura Elston, PA Deputy Court Correspondent
Prince Harry will receive no special privileges when he joins the Army, the head of Sandhurst insisted today.

He will be ordered to do his own ironing and get up at the crack of dawn like every other soldier.

The 20-year-old royal will have a weekday curfew of 23.59 and for the first five weeks will not be allowed off site, will have no access to alcohol and will not be permitted to wear civilian clothes.

Harry has already picked up his heavy Army-issue black boots – which he will spend hours polishing – when he attended a familiarisation day at the prestigious military college last week.

He will have to wear them in before arriving in January at the site in Camberley, Surrey, bringing with him shoe polish, his three combat ’95 uniforms and his own ironing board.

During a special media day to give the journalists access to Sandhurst before Harry starts, Major General Andrew Ritchie said: “The ethos of Sandhurst is that every single cadet that comes here is treated the same as everyone else.

“You will meet some fierce sergeants who will maintain that philosophy. Everyone will have to prove themselves here.”

The commandant of Sandhurst added: “On the day that Prince Harry arrives, you will see a marvellous sight of young men and young women striding across with mum carrying the suitcase and dad carrying an ironing board.

“They quickly learn that they have to carry the ironing board themselves.

“They get up very early. We get used to people here who have worked four hours and slept 20. Here we reverse that cycle. Some find it quite a struggle.”

Harry’s bedroom, a far cry from plush royal palaces, contains just a single bed, a sink and a wardrobe.

No duvets are allowed in the first few weeks and cadets are initially only allowed one photo of their family – although there are numerous pictures around the college of the Queen which will serve to keep Harry’s grandmother in his thoughts.

He will be known as Mr Wales or Officer Cadet Wales to his seniors and his fellow soldiers will use just his surname as they are already starting to do.

It was announced in September that the Prince, who recently had a run-in with the paparazzi outside a London nightclub, had passed his Regular Commissions Board assessment and gained a place at the college, a favourite with royals from around the world.

Harry will be part of a platoon of just 30 and will spend most of his time with his group during his training.

New cadets eat four hearty meals a day, consuming a massive 6,000 calories.

But many of the recruits still lose weight due to the gruelling physical tasks, including assault courses.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3746214

Well, Harry is here, in Argentina....at last!!!!

Really? I hope he enjoys his vacation. :) Try to keep a look-out for him! I wonder if he's staying in a hotel or if he knows anyone there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom