The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Harry's game

WHY should Prince Harry not be allowed to serve in Afghanistan or Iraq if he has the courage and the commitment?

http://ichuddersfield.icnetwork.co.u...name_page.html


This is just one of the many 'regional' papers commenting on the waste of money it would be, if he doesn't fight.
__________________

__________________
  #42  
Old 05-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Harry's polo shirt's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: my paradise, United States
Posts: 2,091
Why does it matter how much money is wasted, if he lives are saved and more secure if he doesn't fight. People should stop worrying about money and start worring about peoples lives.
__________________

__________________
"The pain of spending a week with my brother is well worth it."
– Prince William, on joining Prince Harry for a charity motorcycle ride across South Africa

  #43  
Old 05-03-2006, 04:59 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
Why does it matter how much money is wasted, if he lives are saved and more secure if he doesn't fight. People should stop worrying about money and start worring about peoples lives.
With questions constantly being raised about the cost of the monarchy, yes it does matter to the British taxpayer.

He has been trained as a officer, now he must be treated like every other young man and woman in the armed forces.
__________________
  #44  
Old 05-03-2006, 06:17 AM
Little_star's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
With questions constantly being raised about the cost of the monarchy, yes it does matter to the British taxpayer.

He has been trained as a officer, now he must be treated like every other young man and woman in the armed forces.
It's admirable that Harry wishes to serve in Iraq but let's be honest, he would probably puit his fellow officers in more danger.

After all you can imagine the threat of a kidnapping/hostage situation that Harry would face. Would Harry have extra security officers to protect him? Would he receive special treatment/accomdation etc.? The whole situation could end up being completely ridiculous.
__________________
Please give whatever you can to the DEC's Pakistan Floods Appeal. Millions of lives are at risk
http://www.dec.org.uk/index.html
  #45  
Old 05-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
It's admirable that Harry wishes to serve in Iraq but let's be honest, he would probably puit his fellow officers in more danger.

After all you can imagine the threat of a kidnapping/hostage situation that Harry would face. Would Harry have extra security officers to protect him? Would he receive special treatment/accomdation etc.? The whole situation could end up being completely ridiculous.
Why would it put his fellow officers in danger, they all face the same danger of kidnap/becoming a hostage. No he wouldn't have special treatment/accomodation.

Harry is just another officer, it cost the same amount to train him as anyone else and he should have to put his life on the line, the same as everyone else!
__________________
  #46  
Old 05-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Little_star's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Why would it put his fellow officers in danger, they all face the same danger of kidnap/becoming a hostage. No he wouldn't have special treatment/accomodation.

Harry is just another officer, it cost the same amount to train him as anyone else and he should have to put his life on the line, the same as everyone else!
The fact is though, Harry isn't "the same as everyone else" and Iraq is very different from the Falklands (which I believe was where Andrew served).

The moment he touched down he would be on the top of every wish list for potential hostages. His presence would just put his fellow troops in ever more danger. After all he's not just an ordinary soldier, he's 3rd in line to the British throne.
__________________
Please give whatever you can to the DEC's Pakistan Floods Appeal. Millions of lives are at risk
http://www.dec.org.uk/index.html
  #47  
Old 05-03-2006, 09:30 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
The moment he touched down he would be on the top of every wish list for potential hostages. His presence would just put his fellow troops in ever more danger. After all he's not just an ordinary soldier, he's 3rd in line to the British throne.
Well I guess it has a lot to do with how people perceive Harry..... poster boy or soldier boy.

My guess is, that if he is not allowed to serve, the adverse publicity for the BRF and the British Government would be horrendous. And as for Harry himself....let's not even go there.:( I have no doubt that his peers and any of the men he serves with would laugh themselves stupid at the idea of taking along a Royal Protection Squad, they would be as much use a the proverbial t..s on a bull in the battle zone.

Anyway, since when has the British Military publicised the minute detail of any depolyment? A roadside bomb does not discriminate. Any British Officer will do.

If Harry makes the grade it would be an horrendous waste of talent, and to be honest, the military are not in the habit of wasting their assets. That sort of asset is born, not made.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #48  
Old 05-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
The fact is though, Harry isn't "the same as everyone else" and Iraq is very different from the Falklands (which I believe was where Andrew served).

The moment he touched down he would be on the top of every wish list for potential hostages. His presence would just put his fellow troops in ever more danger. After all he's not just an ordinary soldier, he's 3rd in line to the British throne.
As many military experts have pointed out, for any insurgents to mount an attempt to single out one soldier from a base, would cost them more than it is worth. A military base contains a large contingent of armed personel and security is normally tight, to protect all on the base. He wouldn't bring anymore danger to the 'troops' than they are already in or do you think they all sit around drinking cups of tea? Everyone in a war zone is in extreme danger.

Yes he is just an ordinary officer, the moment he signed up!
__________________
  #49  
Old 05-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Well I guess it has a lot to do with how people perceive Harry..... poster boy or soldier boy.

My guess is, that if he is not allowed to serve, the adverse publicity for the BRF and the British Government would be horrendous. And as for Harry himself....let's not even go there.:( I have no doubt that his peers and any of the men he serves with would laugh themselves stupid at the idea of taking along a Royal Protection Squad, they would be as much use a the proverbial t..s on a bull in the battle zone.

Anyway, since when has the British Military publicised the minute detail of any depolyment? A roadside bomb does not discriminate. Any British Officer will do.

If Harry makes the grade it would be an horrendous waste of talent, and to be honest, the military are not in the habit of wasting their assets. That sort of asset is born, not made.
Very well said! If he can't be protected by 1000's of men carrying SA80's and various other weapons, there is no hope for the protection squad!

A roadside bomb will take out anyone, it is not fussy as to whether it gets a civilian, a private, a sergeant or an officer
__________________
  #50  
Old 05-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,194
This is such a grim topic. Can we please talk about something happier and related to Harry?
__________________
Hasta la vista, baby!
  #51  
Old 05-03-2006, 11:37 PM
sara1981's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North Little Rock, United States
Posts: 3,448
I think one's hungover

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006200567,00.html
__________________
  #52  
Old 05-04-2006, 01:08 AM
Frosty_lady's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Leeds, United Kingdom
Posts: 110
Wink

Prince Harry should not be allowed to go to war because he will be a target for the opposition furthermore he will automatically put his fellow cadets in danger because he is 3rd inline to the throne.

i heard some where that Prince Harry can go to war WHEN his brother Prince William has children because he wont be as big a target then.
__________________
Never Take Life Seriously. Nobody Gets Out Alive Anyways
  #53  
Old 05-04-2006, 02:53 AM
sara1981's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North Little Rock, United States
Posts: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty_lady
Prince Harry should not be allowed to go to war because he will be a target for the opposition furthermore he will automatically put his fellow cadets in danger because he is 3rd inline to the throne.

i heard some where that Prince Harry can go to war WHEN his brother Prince William has children because he wont be as big a target then.
i complete agree with you!

but Harry DID plans go war to Iraq but William dont go war but im sure the brothers wont wanted getting target of Royals getting hurt like that and where got wounded for that.

his uncle Prince Andrew got hero in 1982 i think so and he not got hurt for sure and many people who got killed in falklands and some survive in war 1982.
__________________
  #54  
Old 05-04-2006, 08:37 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 3,979
Harry has chosen a CAREER in the Army and so far he has aquitted himeself well. Here's hoping his specialist training goes just as well! :)

William's role, will of necessity, become mostly a ceremonial one, as he is second in line. To expect Harry to wait untill William not only marries, but produces children (plural?) is totally unrealistic, not to mention patently unfair. :(

This situation must surely have been considered (and given the BRF's caution, not to mention the government's), resolved BEFORE he entered Sandhurst!

Putting Harry's LIFE on hold until William gets his sorted brings a whole new meaning to the term 'heir and spare'.

By the way, the hereditry line does not end with Harry.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #55  
Old 05-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Harry joins in with a university soccer match whilst on holiday in Cape Town, South Africa with his girlfriend Chelsy Davey. Pictures from Wireimage.



__________________
  #56  
Old 05-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Harry has chosen a CAREER in the Army and so far he has aquitted himeself well. Here's hoping his specialist training goes just as well! :)

Putting Harry's LIFE on hold until William gets his sorted brings a whole new meaning to the term 'heir and spare'.

By the way, the hereditry line does not end with Harry.
I believe Harry will go off to wherever, do his duty and will not have his life put on hold. IMO All of this will have been sorted out before he received his commission.
__________________
  #57  
Old 05-04-2006, 02:15 PM
purple_platinum's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 4,876
HRH Prince Harry and Girlfriend Chelsy Davy go Skydiving
His Royal Highness Prince Harry skydiving in South Africa whilst on holiday with his girlfriend Chelsy Davy also pictured hugging the Prince after he lands. May 04, 2006

from wireimage

__________________
^_^
  #58  
Old 05-04-2006, 02:21 PM
christinacg's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,194
more from wireimage





__________________
  #59  
Old 05-04-2006, 02:22 PM
christinacg's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 1,194
more from wireimage


__________________
  #60  
Old 05-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 74
I believe this young man will be the one to leave a lasting impression for whatever work he carries on with. He is an awesome Prince...
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Aiko Current Events: July 2005 - June 2006 Mandy Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako and Family 196 06-19-2006 01:44 PM
Prince Harry current events 7: Jan-March 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 196 03-14-2006 10:46 AM
Prince William current events 8: Jan-Feb 2006 Martine Current Events Archive 192 02-18-2006 06:15 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth bourbon-parma charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jewellery jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman picture of the month pieter van vollenhoven pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]