The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Heir Apparent

People Magazine articles

Prince Harry Shows Maturity as He Turns 21
http://people.aol.com/people/article...105497,00.html

Old 09-16-2005, 03:36 AM
Aristocracy

Happy Birthday To You

Happy Birthday Prince and have a good life

Old 09-16-2005, 05:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Harry gets £2.5M Birthday Prezzie

It was his inheritance from the Queen Mum, who died aged 101 in 2002. She made arrangements for the playboy Prince to get his hands on the dosh the day he turned 21. And his great-gran, herself a fan of the odd tipple, left specific instructions that he could spend the money on whatever he liked. Prince Charles is said to be unhappy about his son being handed the huge cash gift, because he fears Harry will blow it recklessly. He is worried he'll use it to buy a lovenest for his "amazing" girlfriend Chelsy Davy, 19, and quit the Army.

~More here:
http://www.royalarchive.com/content/view/1238/2/

Old 09-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Nobility

harry

I don't think what Harry said was a slap in the face to Diana. I think he simply sees that after seven years camilla makes his father happy. And I think to any child their parents happiness is important and I have no doubt Harry loves and adores his mother. But the truth is she is gone hating camilla won't bring her back or change what has happened and I think he knows this too.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
Harry gets £2.5M Birthday Prezzie
~More here:
http://www.royalarchive.com/content/view/1238/2/
I think Harry will blow a lot of the money, but not all of it. I think he will use some to party on and use for he and Chesly, but I think Prince Charles and his grand mum will help him put the money to good use.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:35 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Does anyone know how assignments are handed out when officers graduate from Sandhurst?

If the war in Iraq is still going on when Harry graduates, I'm sure there will be all kinds of claims of favoritism if Harry isn't assigned there. And if Harry isn't sent, he might think he's being held back on purpose.

But I could see Harry being a potential target if he does get sent there.

How will they solve that issue?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think they might sign up for different units.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Question just wondering

hummm...during his 21 birthday interview he said:

"Don't always feel sorry for me and William, feel sorry for her [Camilla]."
What do you think he means? I have trouble with the word "always", does he mean he wants people to feel sorry for them sometimes...or does he mean that he is tired of people feeling sorry for them, and wants them to stop...?

"some person in the Royal Family who just finds a lame excuse to go abroad". Who do you think he is talking about?

Old 09-17-2005, 03:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
hummm...during his 21 birthday interview he said:

"Don't always feel sorry for me and William, feel sorry for her [Camilla]."
I think he is being somehow diplomatic on “Harry’s way “ of course. Or may be he meant that Camilla was originally an outsider, who everyone hated, but Prince Charles, because she was a marriage wrecker and etc. Camilla, now as HRH, probably is a very lovely woman to Prince Charles and kind to his two sons, but her previous reputation puts her in bad disposition in the Royal Palace.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
If the war in Iraq is still going on when Harry graduates, I'm sure there will be all kinds of claims of favoritism if Harry isn't assigned there.
I don’t think Harry would be sent to Iraq, because everyone is going to try to capture him as a POW. Who is crazy to send one of the heirs to the throne on a front line unless his is leading the troops, but this is out of the question in here. It is just no need to.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by segolen
I don’t think Harry would be sent to Iraq, because everyone is going to try to capture him as a POW. Who is crazy to send one of the heirs to the throne on a front line.
especially since it is just Will and Harry.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Royal Highness

Harry wins the first of many battles

http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/o...ixopinion.html
Old 09-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by segolen
I don’t think Harry would be sent to Iraq, because everyone is going to try to capture him as a POW. Who is crazy to send one of the heirs to the throne on a front line unless his is leading the troops, but this is out of the question in here. It is just no need to.
I agree. I've never heard of a "prince" going to fight in a war?:)
Old 09-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by polop
Did Prince Andrew participate in the figth about the Falkland islands in the 80´s ??

Old 09-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
Did Prince Andrew participate in the figth about the Falkland islands in the 80´s ??
I don't know...
Old 09-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
Did Prince Andrew participate in the fight about the Falkland islands in the 80's?
Yes. Prince Andrew flew a naval helicopter in the Falklands Task Force and saw direct action.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Yes. Prince Andrew flew a naval helicopter in the Falklands Task Force and saw direct action.
Thank you for your answer Warren :)

Old 09-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Nobility

Have you ever wondered what would happen if somone from the royal family got killed in a war? What would happen?
Old 09-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
George V, while King, made several visits to the front during World War I. During one visit George's horse rolled on top of him, breaking his pelvis. George remained in pain for the rest of his life from the injury.

Edward VIII had naval academy training. During 1914 he served as a 2nd Lieutenant in France and Flanders, Egypt and Italy. In 1916 he served as a Captain in France.

George VI also had naval academy training. During the Battle of Jutland in World War I the then Prince Albert was on HMS Collingwood. George VI was the last monarch to present on the battlefield.

His brother the Duke of Kent went to the naval college at age thirteen, like his older brothers. He remained in the Royal Navy until 1929, serving on the HMS Iron Duke and later the HMS Nelson. At the start of World War II, he returned to active military service as a rear admiral, serving on the Intelligence Division of the Admiralty. In 1940, he transferred to the Royal Air Force. The Duke of Kent was killed in a plane crash on active service in 1942.

The current Duke of Kent also had a military career that lasted over 20 years. Like Harry, he was trained at Sandhurst. He served in Cyprus with a squadron enforcing peace between the Greek and Turkish portions of the island. The Duke's regiment was held back from Northern Ireland during the Troubles in the 1970s, although he did eventually get to serve in Northern Ireland. He retired in 1976. There is speculation that he retired out of frustration from being protected because he was a royal.

Prince Michael of Kent also attended Sandhurst and was commissioned into the 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own). He saw service in Germany, Hong Kong, and Cyprus, where his squadron formed part of the UN peacekeeping force in 1971.

The Duke of York, already discussed.

So there are several instances of heirs since 1914 who have gone into harm's way.

This isn't including relatives like Mountbatten or Prince Philip himself.

So, if Harry is going to be wrapped in cotton for his military career, what's the purpose of him taking up a slot at Sandhurst??
Old 09-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Have you ever wondered what would happen if somone from the royal family got killed in a war? What would happen?
Well, it happened with the previous Duke of Kent. And his family, both the King and his family and the widowed Duchess and her small family, got on with their lives.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry