Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015 - June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to keep numbers in balance. Too many predators and you end up with starvation among other things. Now that is a waste of life.

LaRae

Yes, I see your point too. Starvation among other things would be a horrible waste of life. But aren't lives of predators important too? It's being cruel to be kind I guess, but it just doesn't seem fair. Can't find the words I want to explain how I feel.
And I don't think it's right for humans to eat crocodile, or have croc handbags. JMO. Crocs were not created for that. In an ideal world, they would all just be out in the wild. And the food chain would be fair. Sadly, not an ideal world.

Yes, I see your point too. Starvation among other things would be a horrible waste of life. But aren't lives of predators important too? It's being cruel to be kind I guess, but it just doesn't seem fair. Can't find the words I want to explain how I feel.
And I don't think it's right for humans to eat crocodile, or have croc handbags. JMO. Crocs were not created for that. In an ideal world, they would all just be out in the wild. And the food chain would be fair. Sadly, not an ideal world.

Predators are important, they are needed to keep things in balance, however being predators they don't have too many things that keep them in check other than humans. We manage those populations by allowing a certain amount of hunting and by relocation (if possible)...sometimes they just put them down and use for food for animals.

Eating a croc/alligator is no different than eating any other wild game. I'd much rather see the meat consumed than wasted.

LaRae

People eat croc/alligator and use the hides for various things. Nothing being wasted.

LaRae

Hahaha! I had a crocodile steak up in Darwin. Got to say, very fatty and not the tastiest! Kangaroo is better.;)

Did Henry have a taste too I wonder? Perhaps they gave him a piece of the croc he sat on? :lol: Maybe that was the deal?:ROFLMAO:

Did he like the taste of Skippy better?? :ROFLMAO:

There are so many crocs up there. We fed them from the boats and watched them jump up, out of the water for their treats. Awesome creatures.

Yes, they are wonderful, magnificent creatures, even when they come along tourist boats and lunge! I have to say though, I just can't stomach, literally, the thought of eating crocodile.

Nor have I ever eaten kangaroo. The vision of Skippy conveying urgent messages and manipulating door handles with his paws, no doubt!

I have no desire to eat lizards, no matter the size.

I have never eaten kangaroo either, nor am I likely to, but that has nothing to do with Skippy. When I was a child my mother used to feed the cat kangaroo meat because it was cheap, and I often had to cut the stuff up for it, and pet meat grade kangaroo meat doesn't smell very nice, especially when it's starting to go off. Not for me, thank you very much.

I've seen crocs in the wild on the Daintree River, and in wildlife parks, and, on one memorable occasion, on a beach near Port Douglas. This far south we are not programmed for large predators that come out of the water onto the land to get you, and it's a sobering experience to see one running out of the surf.

Last edited:
I have eaten alligator and it was quite tasty! Served with a jalapeno sweet sauce.... I would eat it again.

I've had emu and ostrich...not a fan of either. I've eaten New Zealand red deer and it was very very good.

Past that nothing really unusual ...various types of native game but that's not uncommon to see eaten here.

LaRae

Some years ago I visited the NT and had a wonderful evening meal:

entrée - crocodile
main - emu and kangaroo steaks
desert - local produce made into an icecream and served with native berries

Lovely.

Would I buy any of that from my supermarket - probably not.

Some years ago I visited the NT and had a wonderful evening meal:

entrée - crocodile
main - emu and kangaroo steaks
desert - local produce made into an icecream and served with native berries

Lovely.

Would I buy any of that from my supermarket - probably not.

Hey! We went to the same restaurant!!:D

Kangaroo, emu, and ostrich! Oh my! I will never be an Aussie I guess, as I could never stomach that- or croc. I don't mean to offend here, but I think you Aussies take the cake for weirdest foods. When the POW was making a list the other day- I didn't know what any of the stuff was. I got some of it mixed up with American slang, and can't tell you what I thought it was! And what are Tim- tams? ( not the food I got mixed up with slang)

Time to move the discussion on and go back to the topic of Prince Harry's Current Events. Discussions about cooking, food, cuisine etc could be done in the Member's Corner.

*snort* Some of his words were a bit harsh - I don't think it's fair to call Harry "vile and ignoble" - but I did have a giggle. Harry is still at the dress-up-and-play-games-and-party stage of his life as the one-time "spare", but I do have hope for him.

I am very curious about those telephones he's holding in that photo. They look like 1940/1950s models. Does anyone know the venue or occasion? I have a little collection of fully restored vintage phones and I use a 1940 model very similar to that here in my office.

Thanks, Jess. On closer inspection I think they're new phones just using older design. Interesting.

There are some fabulous photos of Harry in that article you linked. Some of his facial expressions look very like those we often see on Charles.

Morrissey is always ranting about the royals. He doesn't like any of them very much.

Either of them actually much better things to do today

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Oh dear, are they going on about the taxpayer issue again?!? :whistling:

Would it be preferable if the BRF as well as foreign dignitaries stopped visiting Australia all together?
I mean if Australia really is that poor, perhaps the rest of us should send relief aid?

- Yeah, yeah, sarcasm aside, but sometimes I despair! Why are so many people unable to look beyond the tip of their noses? The very same people would no doubt be offended if the BRF issued a statement saying: "Due to the financial burden imposed on Australia, visits by the BRF will be reduced to one every five years, and only for two days".

Last edited:
The cost has to be able to show some benefits and that can't be shown for Harry's trip.

Having a senior royal tour about every five years is the average anyway. Royals other than the Queen (visited 16 times in over 60 years), Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry don't get any recognition when they do tour so why bother.

Harry's visit was a private one so why should the Aussies have to pay for any of it?

He didn't do any official engagements in Australia (source - the CC) so it was for his personal benefit - like his gap-year and I see no reason why Australians should pay for his private visits. I also don't see why British taxpayers, or any other taxpayers should pay for any royal to make a private visit anywhere. If they want to go on holidays to somewhere outside the UK they should have to pay for their security and any other associated costs and not expect the taxpayers either of the UK, or the places visited, to foot the bill.

The NZ leg was different because Harry did carry out official engagements there but in Australia he only did private events - regardless of how public they were.

Harry's trip was private and official from what I understand.

I thought that the Australian leg of his visit down under was primarily set up by the military. Most of the time in Oz was spent on military bases and doing things with those units he visited right?

The NZ leg was as an official representative of HM and was about as "official" as one can get.

I see your point, Iluvbertie. :)

However, is it really that big a financial burden when you take a closer look?

The costs to the taxpayers was 115.000 Aus Dollars as I understand it.

Let's start with the positive coverage of Australia associated with the visit by Harry in Britain, but also other countries that feature the doings of the BRF. (Predominantly Commonwealth countries).
How much would a similar nationwide coverage on TV, papers and magazines cost the Visit Australia (or whatever the Australian tourist board is called) in Britain alone?
(I'm not asking whether it would make a difference, just the costs).

The Australian medias covered Harry's visit big time! They would have sold, pics, clips and articles again mainly to Britain. How much would that have amounted to in income to the Australian medias? More or less than 115.000 you think?

Then there are the, again mainly British, reporters who went to Australia (later on New Zealand) and spend money there while covering Harry. I don't know how many they were or how much they would spend in Australia, but I'd say it wasn't pocket change.
Not to mention the local Australian fans who went to wherever Harry was. They would in many cases have spend money locally on food, drink, gas and what not.

You see where I'm getting? The Australian taxpayers may have paid 115.000 $, but that is likely to have been outweighed by the income generated by Australian businesses, media companies, hotels and so on. Income that in part is returned to the treasury via taxes.

Last edited:
$115,000 is a drop in the bucket, really. We can all point to Politicians/public servants who've spent amounts on flowers, entertainments, eatables and other goodies for visitors which have come to more than that!

As far as Harry's visit to the restaurant with the Pellys is concerned, he only stopped for drinks with them after they had eaten and then he went off alone. Where was he for the rest of the night? Admittedly, the paps were at Cressida's party, but later?

I just have a weird sort of feeling that Harry is still in regular touch with Cressida. I'm not necessarily saying that is a good idea, for lots of reasons, which have been chewed over in this thread!

The cost has to be able to show some benefits and that can't be shown for Harry's trip.

Having a senior royal tour about every five years is the average anyway. Royals other than the Queen (visited 16 times in over 60 years), Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry don't get any recognition when they do tour so why bother.

Harry's visit was a private one so why should the Aussies have to pay for any of it?

He didn't do any official engagements in Australia (source - the CC) so it was for his personal benefit - like his gap-year and I see no reason why Australians should pay for his private visits. I also don't see why British taxpayers, or any other taxpayers should pay for any royal to make a private visit anywhere. If they want to go on holidays to somewhere outside the UK they should have to pay for their security and any other associated costs and not expect the taxpayers either of the UK, or the places visited, to foot the bill.

The NZ leg was different because Harry did carry out official engagements there but in Australia he only did private events - regardless of how public they were.

The BRF should not be criticised, however. The decision must have been that of the Australian Government.

However - across the Commonwealth exchange visits are a regular occurrence between forces. Australians come to the UK; Australians go to Canada, Canadians come to the UK etc. Ultimately, where the Military is involved, the tax payer pays.

Just no big deal.

Doesn't really look like they are together, not officially anyway...
Prince Harry in Soho restaurant Bob Bob Ricard with Guy Pelly | Daily Mail Online

Unusual. Why skulk about when you know she is just down the road? Maybe he did slip in to see her in her play. Is that probable? Showing up with Pelly just to throw off the scent.

I have my thoughts but not sure if this is the right thread.

If this is really going on, a question does arise: where was Cressida's purported boyfriend last night at her moment of triumph? If he wasn't there, then maybe........:sad: I was really rooting for her old boyfriend.

Well, then - a Winter Wedding, please! :flowers:

Last edited:
Perhaps this should be in the relationship thread but as it does relate to a current event of Harry's, I will make one comment.

One thing Harry values dearly is conducting his private life under the radar. Whatever relationship he has started or will start even will be in the public eye as little as possible. With that in mind, we should read any current events that try to link him with someone with a pinch of salt added.

The BRF should not be criticised, however. The decision must have been that of the Australian Government.

However - across the Commonwealth exchange visits are a regular occurrence between forces. Australians come to the UK; Australians go to Canada, Canadians come to the UK etc. Ultimately, where the Military is involved, the tax payer pays.

Just no big deal.

When military exchanges take place there is normally going to be some time after the exchange for the personnel concerned to actually pass on the benefits - not happening with Harry as he is leaving the military too soon afterwards.

He got a 'taster' of Australian military - nothing substantive but rather basic stuff. He could have read about it and learnt as much (from my friends who are based at Holsworthy - they couldn't do anything really substantive with him as they didn't have him for any real time to do anything with).

Normal exchanges are for 6 months to a year no a week here and a week there.

I teach kids whose parents are on exchange for a year at least - we get a lot of US kids, around 10 or so a year, whose parent/s are exchanging and the view is that anything less is fairly useless as there is no time to absorb the culture of the military, learn its ways etc and even do the basic training on the ground. Harry's experience, from the point of view of my friends, was superficial at best and really useless as an exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom