Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh Harry sure knows how to make everyone feel comfortable around him
What a gem the RF have in Harry

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 10-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Majesty

A photo of a bearded Prince Philip emerges from 1957, looking strikingly like Harry!

Young Prince Philip Bears a Striking Resemblance to Prince Harry in This 1957 Picture | Vanity Fair

Old 10-26-2016, 08:08 PM
Majesty

I've long thought that Prince Harry resembles his paternal grandfather. I read a book on the Mountbattens years ago that had Prince Louis of Battenberg, Louis Mountbatten, and Prince Philip on the cover. Princes William and Harry could have easily have filled in the same figures, although they'd be taller. Their shapes are very Mountbatten.

To the moderators: This is to illustrate a book-cover. I'm not posting this as an ad.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/The-Mountbatt...4AAOSwqu9U~Qkw
Old 10-26-2016, 08:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its uncanny that a bearded Philip and his grandson Harry look so very much alike. Although for the most part, I think Harry resembles his father, he does look remarkably like his grandfather too. No way can it ever be said that Harry does not have the Mountbatten and Windsor genes.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-27-2016, 11:39 AM
Majesty

Harry visiting the Community Recording Studio at Russell Youth Centre, Nottingham
http://67.media.tumblr.com/00b5c2e9c...44ko9_1280.jpg
http://67.media.tumblr.com/ac4ba48ef...44ko8_1280.jpg
http://66.media.tumblr.com/1fe3cd15c...44ko5_1280.jpg
Old 10-27-2016, 12:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Harry being the people's-man as always.
- But, are they only allowed to dress in shades of grey at that center?
Old 10-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Majesty

Maybe it's their uniform, or probably they didn't want to dress in bright colours in case they might overshadow the blue suit, and later, the grey pants, of their visitor!
Old 10-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

It does look like half of them are wearing the same grey shirt... doesn't explain why the other half are wearing black though...
Old 10-28-2016, 09:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Harry's trip to save endangered elephants revealed in new photographs | Daily Mail Online

Prince Harry takes after Princess Diana, says Elton John
Old 10-28-2016, 09:38 AM
Majesty

Superb photos, and it's clear Harry's heart and soul is in this. I find it very hard to understand this insatiable craving for ivory, (or indeed for rhino horn or any part of a wild and endangered species). Education is the answer in the long term but projects like these ones help in getting the message out there. Is it too late,though?

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sundaytim...form=hootsuite
Old 10-28-2016, 01:26 PM
Majesty

excellent work being done by these organizations. I recently saw a documentary on giraffes in Africa. Part of protecting them was the relocation of some to another reserve, it was a ton of work.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Majesty

Oh DM. The top rated comment is

Secofsams, Essex, United Kingdom,
Harry came home and led a shooting party to celebrate his birthday last month. Enough with the hypocrisy. PR stunt!

It goes to show how ignorant the pubic is on conservation.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
excellent work being done by these organizations. I recently saw a documentary on giraffes in Africa. Part of protecting them was the relocation of some to another reserve, it was a ton of work.
I think I probably watched the same documentary that you did. It was a lot of work loading, transporting and then finally releasing these beautiful animals to their new environment. It was amazing to see all the giraffes in their movable trailer complete with trees to munch on and watching them look around as they crossed the Nile.

The more people that get into conservations work and the more it is publicized what it all entails and why, the more people will be informed of the plight of these beautiful animals.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-28-2016, 06:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Superb photos, and it's clear Harry's heart and soul is in this. I find it very hard to understand this insatiable craving for ivory, (or indeed for rhino horn or any part of a wild and endangered species). Education is the answer in the long term but projects like these ones help in getting the message out there. Is it too late,though?

SUNDAY TIMES - WATCH: Prince Harry stars in '500 Elephants' film with African Parks
Indeed. Call me a puritan, but I think tusks looks so much more impressive on live elephants.

I understand there is a very rapid decline in the number of elephants in Africa these years! So I guess soon elephants with impressive tusks may only be seen in animal parks outside Africa.
A tragedy in so many ways!
Old 10-29-2016, 01:21 PM
Courtier

Laudable as all this is, I can't help but wonder what the cost is to taxpayers to send several bodyguards to Africa for a summer to look after Harry? These bodyguards will be getting paid likely much more that they would had Harry stayed in the UK, because they're having to be away from their families for long stretches while Harry does this. I'm going to guess that the accommodation and transport costs were considerable.

I personally have no issue with it but, if this was another family member doing this, e.g. William, the posts here would be very different.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Laudable as all this is, I can't help but wonder what the cost is to taxpayers to send several bodyguards to Africa for a summer to look after Harry? These bodyguards will be getting paid likely much more that they would had Harry stayed in the UK, because they're having to be away from their families for long stretches while Harry does this. I'm going to guess that the accommodation and transport costs were considerable.

I personally have no issue with it but, if this was another family member doing this, e.g. William, the posts here would be very different.
Do people in the UK who travel for work get a pay bonus? Because I've never heard of that in the US. Sure, there is reimbursement for meals when on the road, but at least over here if you increase people's pay when they travel, you have to take the pay away when they are home and that never works very well. Plus, travels is usually just another part of the expectations of the job.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:14 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't get paid extra for when I work away from my home store. I do get travel time paid.

Doubt the bodyguards will be earning anymore, and all expenses will be covered. It would be exactly the same as accompanying him on a visit to another country on behalf of The Queen.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps they rotate after a few weeks so they aren't away for such a long time which is longer than what they would be away for a tour.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-29-2016, 03:00 PM
Majesty

My nephew is in the RCMP and when he went to Haiti after the earthquakes he was payed extra money, I think it was danger pay

I know in the British military, certain trades and deployments earn people extra pay. Submariners for example receive supplemental isolation pay.

It would make sense for police officers having to go Africa to receive an extra pay packet.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
My nephew is in the RCMP and when he went to Haiti after the earthquakes he was payed extra money, I think it was danger pay

I know in the British military, certain trades and deployments earn people extra pay. Submariners for example receive supplemental isolation pay.

It would make sense for police officers having to go Africa to receive an extra pay packet.
Thanks for the reply.
The US has additional combat pay for troops and hazard pay for some professions. But, for example, transport troops in Iraq and Afghanistan got no extra pay, because they were technically not "combat" troops. This despite the fact that they were at high risk from IEDs. There was a lot of press about that.
There are also shift premiums in some fields.
I wonder if the secret service gets extra pay just because they travel outside DC?
And I wonder about the Africa=hazard assumption? Because Harry was generally with local game wardens - who would be armed and therefore provide protection for him and his keepers. It is an interesting question.
We know Harry did not earn anything extra, though! Beyond the fact that he loves being out there - which is a bonus of it's own kind.

Tags
current events, harry, prince harry