Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015 - June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Harry didn't come back to Sydney - he arrived in the Northern Territory approximately an hour ago having changed back into his fatigues for the trip...

Sun Lion - is anyone saying anything about handlera coming along? Can you keep an eye peeled for this? This photo may be of locals providing info and protection or not. It puts a different spin on the trip if Harry brought along a team.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/04/06/02/274FC47C00000578-3026811-image-a-152_1428283343104.jpg

And thanks again!

I'm gonna be honest here, Harry in that white uniform does things to me.

Harry has never been a favourite of mine, but I do like what he does for charity. I know of people who have met him, and they were surprised / shocked at how rude and funny he was at the same time. He is very similar to his grandfather.

Video: Prince Harry arrives in Australia - Telegraph

As he passed her, she leant over the railings to beg for a selfie, only to be jokingly ticked off.
“No, I hate selfies,” the prince replied. “Seriously, you need to get out of it. I know you’re young, but selfies are bad.”
His remarks, which were picked up by an Australian television crew, were met with laughter in the crowd, causing the prince to double back and face the girl again, smiling as he insisted: “Just take a normal photograph.”

I think that Harry's visit is purposeful and sensitively considered.

He will be bonding further with Australian troops prior to joining the Remembrance service , with his father, at Gallipoli. This will be an occasion of great importance and an emotional challenge for Australians and New Zealanders and given the 'blame' for the catastrophe which is traditionally heaped on the UK it is entirely appropriate that Harry participate. Ditto, the Prince of Wales, who has always been particularly dutiful towards Australia, and in this instance, New Zealand, as well. The Palace could have planned nothing better than to acknowledge the importance of the event and its enduring sensitivity to, and connection with our two nations.

"I am delighted that the long and enduring association between the Australian and British Armies will be joint by the military secondment of my grandson, Prince Harry. In 2015, when together we commemorate the many sacrifices of our countrymen at Gallipoli a century ago, it is fitting that we can also reflect on the strength and persistence today of those common values and our professional military ties. I know that Captain Wales will benefit greatly from spending time with the Australian Diggers and I thank you for welcoming him into your ranks." HM The Queen

Sun Lion - is anyone saying anything about handlera coming along? Can you keep an eye peeled for this? This photo may be of locals providing info and protection or not. It puts a different spin on the trip if Harry brought along a team.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/04/06/02/274FC47C00000578-3026811-image-a-152_1428283343104.jpg

And thanks again!

While he's embedded with the Australian troops it's been said he won't have any "minders" - and that he will be with about thirty "good mates", Australians he already knows from Afghanistan.

There were definitely "minders" with him in Canberra yesterday - whether British or Australian - as they were quoted quite a bit about how much it took to keep him moving along. Not only in the Afghanistan gallery, but with the crowds.

There were people on four sides outside, in a square, and the "minders" had a struggle to get him around all the people.

One young lady was on TV saying she got a "sympathy shake" - he noticed her face fell when he was moved away before he got to her, so he went back and made sure he shook her hand and said hello.

The same with the enterprising young boy who painted the "Red Heads RULE!" sign - Harry noticed it and turned back and spoke with the lad.

Different versions of that photo - different expression on the Prince's face - where on, I think, the front pages of five of the different states newspapers this morning, along with two or three other front pages without the Red Heads RULE!" in the photo.

If you've seen the photo where Harry is grimacing, the NT newspaper - well known for it's joking front pages - has used that as he is now with them, and they're suggesting he doesn't know what he's in for up there - or perhaps he does, hence that expression.

An insurance company up there took out one of their crocodile policies - which they do carry - on his behalf a few weeks ago, though no-one expects the Royal Family to collect on it of course!

Last edited:
There are photos showing his private secretary Ed Lane Fox and Press Guy Nick Loughran with Harry at the War Memorial.

Maybe those 2 are going over to NZ to do the physical recon of the places on the NZ itinerary, where they workout where the put the press etc.
I can't imagine them hanging out in Australia until it's time to go to Turkey. Nick is probably needed for Lindo Wing duty since Ed is gone and he the only press guy with Lindo experience.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Thank you for welcoming him into your ranks: The Queen sends letter of thanks to Australian military for welcoming Prince Harry Down Under

The Queen's message said: "I am delighted that the long and enduring association between the Australian and British armies will be joined by the military secondment of my grandson, Prince Harry.

"Together, our armed forces share skills, resources and resolve in order to uphold and defend our common values.

"In 2015, when together we commemorate the many sacrifices of our countrymen at Gallipoli a century ago, it is fitting that we can also reflect on the strength and persistence today of those common values and our professional military ties.

"I know that Captain Wales will benefit greatly from spending time with the Australian Diggers and I thank you for welcoming him into your ranks.

Elizabeth R."

Last edited:
Prince Harry tells crowd in Australia "I hate selfies, no really I truly hate them"... urges folks to break the habit! Kelly Matthews @allthingsregal

I think that Harry's visit is purposeful and sensitively considered.

He will be bonding further with Australian troops prior to joining the Remembrance service , with his father, at Gallipoli. This will be an occasion of great importance and an emotional challenge for Australians and New Zealanders and given the 'blame' for the catastrophe which is traditionally heaped on the UK it is entirely appropriate that Harry participate. Ditto, the Prince of Wales, who has always been particularly dutiful towards Australia, and in this instance, New Zealand, as well. The Palace could have planned nothing better than to acknowledge the importance of the event and its enduring sensitivity to, and connection with our two nations.

Considering that way more Brits served and died in the Gallipoli campaign than Aussies or NZers I would expect that, as in the past, the main focus of the British royals visit to the peninsula will be to commemorate the British dead there.

In 2005 for the 90th Charles attended the Dawn Service, a reception, the Service for the British and visited a British war grave, the Lone Pine Service, the Turkish Thanksgiving service, the New Zealand Thanksgiving Service and another reception aboard a British War Ship).

2 for the Aussies (Dawn Service and Lone Pine)
1 for the NZers
1 for the Turks
4 for the Brits

Many Aussies don't even know that there were Brits there or that there was more than one landing site (I am not suggesting that that applies to any Aussies on this board but stating a fact). The Aussies and NZers were responsible for ONE of the five invasion sites with the Brits and French being responsible for the other four. There were also 1000s of Indian troops in the British ranks.

I know a number of Aussies who will be offended if any Brit turns up at any part of the Gallipoli commemorations (members of my extended family for instance) blaming them for the death of their loved ones or their ancestors. Although we have no living relatives who knew my great-grandfather we have a number who knew his children and their total contempt and hatred for the British started with the disaster at Gallipoli and in one branch of the family that hatred was compounded by two deaths at Singapore - another occasion when the British betrayed Australian lives in their view.

The blame is very real to most Aussies and the TV and movies continue to display that view - the British stuffed up and the Aussies and NZers paid for it with their lives. It isn't just the view of a few but the vast majority and it is the view taught in schools via the History textbooks (a couple of years ago I was commissioned to write a chapter for a textbook on the new syllabus and my chapter was sent back because I wasn't strident enough in my blaming the British for the failure at Gallipoli and at Lone Pine).

Last edited:
Harry, Charles or any other royal isn't to blame for the ignorance of many of our countrymen and women about the true facts of Gallipoli. I have noted that the new TV series on the Gallipoli campaign was a ratings failure.

There are many British migrants in Australia and their families and I often think that anti-British feeling in Australia is over-estimated. I've never met the attitude that you describe and because of my age I've met and known many Aussie servicemen from WW2. I married into an Australian family that has been here since before Gold Rush days. My husband's uncle was a prisoner at Changi and all the brothers served.

Yet I was welcomed into the family, and Harry has been welcomed with big crowds to Australia. As he and his father will be when they go to Galllipoli later.

Last edited:
I find this conversation interesting. There are those who believe that Churchill and Mountbatten deliberately sacrificed Canadian troops at Dieppe--as a 'practice run' for a full invasion--but that doesn't seem to affect how the British or the Royal Family are viewed here. If any member of the Royal Family or another British person are disliked, it's because of their behaviour and not because of 20th century history.

[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]Australians do, indeed, know of the other nations taking part and also losing vast numbers, but there's always been a difference. To the British Command it was a monumental cock-up amongst any number of monumental cock-ups: to Australia, it was a statement of nationhood!

[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]At the time, Australia was a nation of only 14 years of age and had gained independence through a stubborn defiance of British rule, though many still retained loyalty to the monarchy. Gallipoli, though, has come to mean so much to so many Australians despite its being a military disaster - it was the first time that this country, as an independent country, had joined in open warfare. In WW1 Australia suffered greater losses on the Western Front but because Gallipoli was the first and so very badly executed, it became the most significant.
[/FONT][/FONT]
At Gallipoli there were three different battlefields: Australia and New Zealand commemorate those who were butchered on one of them, where Australian casualties were 18,500 wounded and missing, 7,594 killed - New Zealand, 5,150 wounded and missing and 2,431 killed. Given the tiny populations of both countries in those days, these losses were regarded as horrendous, unacceptable, and the fault of sheer incompetence, all of which was true.

The organisation was chaotic - badly conceived and poorly planned - a disgrace, in fact. The German general, von Sanders, who was Mustafa Kemal's adviser, had good intelligence thus sufficient time (and superior military acumen) to prepare for the attack. When in April the ANZACS did land they were met by heavy and sustained fire, barbed wire on the beaches and strategic defensive firing position in the heights. After this wholesale failure, instead of aborting operations, the British decided to send 5 more divisions to the slaughter and it took them a long time (November) to admit that the entire enterprise was a complete disaster and a pointless squandering of life. In January, the evacuations began.

As a consequence, Winston Churchill was forced to resign from the War Cabinet in disgrace and Australia determined to never again allow Britain to command its troops - it was, in fact, a mighty fillip for republicanism - the outrage was palpable. The Turkish commander, Kemal, became the first President of Turkey, was later declared Ataturk, and more than once gave honour to the ANZACS. There is a memorial to this great man in Sydney, and for their part, the Turks, with Australia, care for the ANZAC War Memorial,park and roads at Gallipoli and go to considerable trouble to welcome Australians and New Zealanders who arrive each year to commemorate this appalling military fiasco. Throughout Australia and New Zealand there are pine trees, all descendents of the Lone Pine at Gallipoli which are truly valued as historic monuments to the Diggers.

"Lions led by donkeys" said one German general, and he was right! Two magnificent exceptions in WW1 were Australia's John Monash (the King declared him the greatest General of the War) and Canada's superlative soldier, Arthur Currie. Both men had those rare qualities - genuine superior intelligence and abundant common sense - and neither was hampered by relying on the outdated military tactics used in prosecuting small, colonial wars nor overwhelmed by a huge war of industrial strength and scale. Indeed, Lloyd George said that had the War not ended when it did, he was intending to sack the British High Command and place Currie and Monash at the helm of all operations.

On April 24, Princes Charles and Harry will attend a UK-led service at Helles on the Gallipoli peninsula and also a separate international service. Both princes will then attend the joint Anzac dawn service on April 25 before paying their respects at the Australian memorial at Lone Pine. They'll also attend the New Zealand-led commemorative service at Chunuk Bair. As they should.
[/FONT][/FONT] [FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]

[/FONT][/FONT]

I find this conversation interesting. There are those who believe that Churchill and Mountbatten deliberately sacrificed Canadian troops at Dieppe--as a 'practice run' for a full invasion--but that doesn't seem to affect how the British or the Royal Family are viewed here. If any member of the Royal Family or another British person are disliked, it's because of their behaviour and not because of 20th century history.

It's actually come out in the last five or six years that Dieppe was actually a pinch raid to try and grab the new version of the Enigma Code Machine. It was in the latest big batch of Classified Material from WWII to be Declassified and is explained in length in the excellent One Day In August by David O'Keefe. Highly recommend this book.

I don't know as much about Gallipoli I am sad to say, but I do know it was a disaster for the ANZAC Forces. I hope Harry attending the Memorial Commemorations while serving w/the ADF helps to serve as a bridge between now and then.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

It has been said before that Harry looks very much like Philip, and that last photo shows it very well!
In some of the photos from this trip he looks so much like his father, the Prince of Wales too.

Photos have been released overnight of Prince Harry's suprise visit to an Aboriginal community in Western Australia.

Too late to make my Friday morning newpaper here in Sydney, but covered by breakfast TV.

The community was unaware of the impending visit that was about an hour in length, and the Prince was also reported as doing a spot of fishing.

Very nice photos - probably up on various newsites by now.

Last edited:
Harry, Charles or any other royal isn't to blame for the ignorance of many of our countrymen and women about the true facts of Gallipoli. I have noted that the new TV series on the Gallipoli campaign was a ratings failure.

There are many British migrants in Australia and their families and I often think that anti-British feeling in Australia is over-estimated. I've never met the attitude that you describe and because of my age I've met and known many Aussie servicemen from WW2. I married into an Australian family that has been here since before Gold Rush days. My husband's uncle was a prisoner at Changi and all the brothers served.

Yet I was welcomed into the family, and Harry has been welcomed with big crowds to Australia. As he and his father will be when they go to Galllipoli later.

Was that the one about the nurses? That wasn't so bad.

Photos have been released overnight of Prince Harry's suprise visit to an Aboriginal community in Western Australia.

Too late to make my Friday morning newpaper here in Sydney, but covered by breakfast TV.

The community was unaware of the impending visit that was about an hour in length, and the Prince was also reported as doing a spot of fishing.

Very nice photos - probably up on various newsites by now.

How nice. the pictures are wonderful

Mahler, it was a new TV series about the Gallipoli campaign, made for the 100th anniversary, which is of course this year. Anzac Day is of course huge here in Australia and I think Channel 9 here had big hopes for it, but it flopped in the ratings.

I'm glad Harry had a chance to do this, and the community to see him. The photos are terrific.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's being reported that the "ginger ninja" Prince Harry may now be back in Darwin after his big bush patrol with NORFORCE.

Unmarked police cars and federal police have been sighted at the Darwin RAAF Base, and there are rumours he has been seen back at Robertson Barracks.

More photos of Prince Harry in Australia are now out - aiming his gun, in a military helicopter, giving first-aid, in a wheel-chair Aussie Rules football game.

The MailOnline has many, many very good photos currently.

P.S. Sunday morning - video footage also being broadcast on different Australian TV channels now.

Last edited:
Prince Harry on Military Secondment with the Australian Defence Force - Handout photos from the ADF

Getty Images Gallery

:previous:Those snaps are gorgeous! Especially the ones with children!:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom