The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

How reliable is the evening standard? This seems contrary to every thing else we heard about wanting a long term career in the military. The Australia bit seems strange too. The Cambridges were just there for a big tour and even Harry was there briefly for the naval review.

Unlike his brother who would had to leave the military eventually for his royal role, Harry doesn't. Plus if he goes globe trotting even for charity, he would have UK paid security but not doing full time royal work in the UK. It seems fishy.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Nobility

The Telegraph reports it as well. As does the DM.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
The Telegraph reports it as well. As does the DM.
Let me guess though - they are reporting that the Evening Standard is reporting it? Time will tell.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sounds like he's about to become a full-time working member of the royal family.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-27-2015, 08:18 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To be honest, I'm really not all that surprised. After reading recently that he wishes to focus on the wounded warrior projects and knowing how much he cares for African and global conservation and Sentebale, perhaps he feels that his time would be best served focusing on these aspects full time.

Somehow this desk job he now holds, although he's probably very adept at it, doesn't seem like a job that would fulfill a man such as Harry that puts so much passion into what he does and perhaps not just taking on ranks over the years with the Blues and Royals too. He needs to be where he'll be happiest and I know whatever he does do, he'll give 150% to with charm, charisma and hijinks included.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm a bit surprised that Harry's the one giving up the service life and becoming a full time Royal. I would have thought the future king would be the one who would do that. I understood Harry planned to have a full career in the military. Mind you, Harry's the one with personality and charisma, and he's been doing a truly splendid job supporting his charitable causes in recent years. He's a natural: he oozes charm and sincerity.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent

the BBC are reporting that he is considering his options. This report makes sense to me. also, he isnt going to Australia as a royal, he is going as a soldier on an exchange. nothing unusual about that.

BBC News - Prince Harry 'considering options over Army career'

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

'considering his options'- Gap year
Old 02-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
'considering his options'- Gap year
Well, I do hope he is considering his options now whilst he is still in the army. He is too old to take a gap year unless it is something like spending a year in Africa or something.

I'm surprised at the news, like others I was sure he would continue his career in the Army. It's unsettling when news come suddenly like this. The Evening Standard is quite a reliable newspaper, I'd be surprised if they made the story up without some indications.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Let me guess though - they are reporting that the Evening Standard is reporting it? Time will tell.
Not really. They are talking about a "royal source".

Prince Harry 'to quit Army' after two tours of Afghanistan - Telegraph
Old 02-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Majesty

There's nothing official. He seems to be "considering his options."
BBC News - Prince Harry 'considering options over Army career'

If I were British, it would bother me if he lived abroad for awhile. I suppose though, the fact is that he's a wealthy young man who doesn't have an official role. Technically, he exists as a back-up plan in case something happens to his older brother. Cynical, perhaps, but true.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It wouldn't bother me at all if Henry went abroad with a clear objective and told people why he was going.

What bothered me about William's "gap year" is that nothing actually happened and nobody knew what was going on.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:34 AM
Majesty

It would depend as well on how long he'd be away IMO.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Royal Highness

Oh, I did not see that one coming! Hopefully he can do more work in Africa, especially with Sentebale!
Old 02-27-2015, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

More detail and explanation from Richard Palmer of the Express. Worth reading

Prince Harry set to QUIT the Armed Forces this year and focus on charity projects | Royal | News | Daily Express

Old 02-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Royal Highness

Well, perhaps he will make a genuine effort to find a suitable wife. He wishes to be married and have children, and he can't do that without finding a willing partner. Go, Harry!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Serene Highness

I have long accustomed myself to the idea that Prince Harry may choose to make a life doing good works in a continent he clearly adores, Africa. As a second son, and with the succession assured, he is in a position to do so, and [altho domestically] Britain and the Windsors would miss him and his undoubted talents, I'd rather that than another wasted 'spare' existence, like Princess Margaret..
Additionally I think he might achieve incredible things in that benighted continent, and in some small way compensate for the manifest wrongs we Brits have inflicted there...
Most of all I think he may find happiness there.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I have long accustomed myself to the idea that Prince Harry may choose to make a life doing good works in a continent he clearly adores, Africa. As a second son, and with the succession assured, he is in a position to do so, and [altho domestically] Britain and the Windsors would miss him and his undoubted talents, I'd rather that than another wasted 'spare' existence, like Princess Margaret..
Additionally I think he might achieve incredible things in that benighted continent, and in some small way compensate for the manifest wrongs we Brits have inflicted there...
Most of all I think he may find happiness there.
Agree with this but I have one real concern. security.

He is a real target for terrorists as both a member of the BRF and having seen active service against the Taliban.

How this is to be managed and paid for will develop into an issue IF he chooses to live abroad and not undertake home duties..

I dont have the answer but it must always be a consideration for the BRF.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think we'll see Harry take on more official royal duties and his charitable projects.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-27-2015, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I think we need a new thread on the future of Harry

Closed Thread