The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
He's a soldier doing his job just like other soldiers. He is one of thousands of British soldiers that served in Iraq and Afghanistan...
If he were like every other British soldier he would have gone to Iraq, however Prince Harry did not serve in Iraq. He was scheduled to go with his unit in 2007, but the military changed it's mind as he was considered a target and thus a danger to fellow soldiers (and himself) thus he was not allowed to go. Instead the secret deployment to Afghanistan occurred. This lasted for 10 weeks and only ended when the German and Australian media broke the news embargo thus exposing Harry and his fellow soldiers to increased risk necessitating Harry's early removal.
Harry then retrained as an Apache helicopter pilot because that was his only path to returning to active deployment in the battle zone, the reasoning being that the Apaches were targets irrespective of who was in them.
In regards to Harry's intelligence, he had to test to enter Sandhurst, which he did. He had to compete to become an Apache helicopter pilot and at the time many suggested he wasn't smart enough to complete the course, but he was and in fact excelled at it.
I write this not as a Harry supporter, rather to address some facts which have been ignored. It gets a bit tiresome to read claims that someone is pro a certain royal just because they point to actual evidence which corrects inaccuracies.
I suspect that when Harry has a goal, as he seems to have had his entire life to be in the military, Harry excels. Whereas when he is disinterested, as he was in academics as a teenager at Eton, he chooses not to make the effort to do well. This by the way is neither pro or anti Harry - just an observation based on human nature.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
He's a soldier doing his job just like other soldiers. He is one of thousands of British soldiers that served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I commend him and all soldiers for their service.

He wasn't mentioned in dispatches nor did he win a Victoria Cross. So while he certainly deserves credit for serving there is no need to inflate what he did while doing his job.

Harry isn't the first member of the BRF to serve in the Army or indeed a theatre of operations and will not be the last
We should appreciate the service of all those who are in the Armed Forces, but I feel that those who have served in combat conditions are especially deserving of commendation. There is a big difference between noncombat duty and combat duty. I respect the work done by people like Charles and William, but it is not as noteworthy as Harry and Andrew's service.

That is not putting anyone down, it is just acknowledging the difficulties of risking life and limb as Harry and Andrew did. Especially since Harry could have easily avoided combat duty. I don't know what it is like it Britain, but few U.S. millionaires go into the armed services, much less go out of their way to go into combat areas. There are, of course, notable exceptions.

Just because most soldiers don't win medals doesn't mean they didn't serve with distinction.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
TBH, I didn't take Rudolph's posting to be derogatory by any means. I saw it simply as a gentle reminder that ALL persons that serve in the Armed Forces should be remembered and appreciated. This is the reason I found it so touching that Harry returned to Afghanistan to observe Remembrance Day with those with the boots on the ground still in Afghanistan.

Just as in the theater, there are no small parts... just small actors, in the military it takes all of those doing their jobs to ensure a strong united force.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
TBH, I didn't take Rudolph's posting to be derogatory by any means. I saw it simply as a gentle reminder that ALL persons that serve in the Armed Forces should be remembered and appreciated. This is the reason I found it so touching that Harry returned to Afghanistan to observe Remembrance Day with those with the boots on the ground still in Afghanistan.

Just as in the theater, there are no small parts... just small actors, in the military it takes all of those doing their jobs to ensure a strong united force.
I don't think that Rudolph was denigrating Harry, but questioning my use of the word "distinction" as it relates to Harry's service. I think Rudolph's point is that other people have served in combat too. I agree that Harry's service is not "distinguished" because he is Harry--I think that anyone who serves honorably in combat is worthy of having his or her service deemed "distinguished."
Old 11-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I don't think that Rudolph was denigrating Harry, but questioning my use of the word "distinction" as it relates to Harry's service. I think Rudolph's point is that other people have served in combat too. I agree that Harry's service is not "distinguished" because he is Harry--I think that anyone who serves honorably in combat is worthy of having his or her service deemed "distinguished."
My fault for not quoting a post. My response on Rudolph's post was generated by Tiggersk8's response to it.

We also should not ever forgot those that serve in the armed forces that work in the mess halls and do KP. Imagine there being no food for the weary soldiers. Nor forget the doctors and nurses that work to provide medical care when needed or the latrine diggers and cleaners and the list goes on and on. If everyone was a 4 star general, nothing would get done at all.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 11-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Nobility

Prince Harry Current Events 24: April 2013 to

actual evidence which corrects inaccuracies.

I suspect that when Harry has a goal, as he seems to have had his entire life to be in the military, Harry excels. Whereas when he is disinterested, as he was in academics as a teenager at Eton, he chooses not to make the effort to do well. This by the way is neither pro or anti Harry - just an observation based on human nature.[/QUOTE]

Prince Harry has dyslexia and a reading disability which he worked very hard to overcome. I am sure he would have liked to excel at Eton but that wasn't the right setting for his learning style. He is an inspiration to kids dealing with learning issues. He is obviously intelligent and has a high EQ. He is somewhat immature but he dedicates himself to causes he believes in. He has shown dedication to servicemen and women.

I am unclear on why all the anti -Harry sentiment started around Remembrance Day weekend.

I think we should use this time to honor all who serve on the front line- including first responders.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Administrator

Well so much for my earlier posting about staying on topic.

For the record I've deleted about 18 posts that had NOTHING to do with Harry's Current Events (i.e Harry's time at Eton, whether or not he was arrested, comparisons with William's Army career, etc.)

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 11-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Nobility

Prince Harry Current Events 24: April 2013 to

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
It . Go figure . . . . .

They wouldn't. There has been absolutely no "credible" information that would lead us to believe that he is dislexic. The fact that Beatrice has it and went public about it years ago is highly commendable and if Harry was the same I am sure we would have heard about it.

He was interviewed by Jeremy Clarkson April 2007. In that interview he discussed his reading disability.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 11-11-2014, 03:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Jeremy Clarkson was the man I was thinking of!! Thanks, sthreats! Chelsy and Harry couldn't move out of their holiday apartment because of Press attention.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Prince Harry has presented No 26 Squadron RAF Regiment with a new standard during a parade at RAF Honington in Suffolk. Harry then met with service personnel and their families at the station's new Heritage Centre-

Home - ITNSource News

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Serene Highness

Wow - Harry at his dashiest!
Old 11-15-2014, 07:52 AM
Majesty

Thanks Polyesco.

Wearing AFAIK his full dress uniform of the Blues and Royals, a cavalry regiment. As you can tell from the (cartridge) bandolier across his chest.

More from Royalista: http://royalista.com/57461/prince-ha...l-in-distress/
Old 11-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Harry's plans for Oman visit in disarray after Sultan pulls out due to ill health-
Prince Harry's plans for Oman visit in disarray after Sultan pulls out due to ill health - Telegraph

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Heir Apparent

jennyg ‏@jennyg2k 13 mins13 minutes ago
Prince Harry will stay in Abu Dhabi after his tour for a "private break" to attend a Formula 1 race.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that is about general news...
Old 11-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
jennyg ‏@jennyg2k 13 mins13 minutes ago
Prince Harry will stay in Abu Dhabi after his tour for a "private break" to attend a Formula 1 race.
I'm not going to lie, this annoys me a little. Not because of Harry but because of the unfairness to the other royals. Recently, Prince Andrew went to New York for work and he stayed an extra two days to visit Eugenie. The media blasted him and said his work trip was just a ruse so he could vacation with Eugenie.

Harry does this all the time and the media never lobs insults at him. All his Sentebale visits happen in conjunction with African safaris with his friends/girlfriends. When he toured Brazil he stayed an extra week to vacation with friends. Radio silence from the media. Either blast both or blast none. Harry is very lucky to be the golden boy of the UK media. Poor Andrew.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Prince Harry is greeted in Oman by His Highness Sayyid Haithem Bin Tariq Al Said, the Sultan of Oman's first cousin-

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail · 1h 1 hour ago
One more picture from Prince Harry's arrival in Oman today. He said that he brought 'Her Majesty's best wishes' #Oman

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 11-18-2014, 04:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry gets plenty of criticism from the British media. Much more than his brother receives. There was a lot of re-scheduling had to take place because of the Sultan's unfortunate illness.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

the last time I can remember Harry getting criticised was when he got a tad sulky when interviewed in Afghan.

He is the current golden boy as stated. but its a dangerous place to be as the Uk media always,always builds someone up to rip them down.

And to be fair there is nothing to criticise. his royal work and demeanor has been spot on and he is getting on better with the media.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Closed Thread