The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose that's the result of Harry's rumoured dyslexia. It's quite sad, really.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:53 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I suppose that's the result of Harry's rumoured dyslexia. It's quite sad, really.
I don't think so necessarily. Some people just don't get into reading books as something they care to do but otherwise excel at other things. My husband is one. He won't read a book unless he absolutely has to but when he does have to, he totally retains what he reads to the point of getting 95% and above when he is tested. He just doesn't care to read. Its probably the same with Harry.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Except Harry's A-level results at Eton don't paint the picture of someone academically inclined. He got a B in art and a D in geography in the exams. He dropped his third subject history of art. Harry was the only one in his class to get a D.

So the fact he admits to not being a book reader doesn't surprise me.

William passed three A-levels before going on to St Andrews university to study history of art.
William got an A grade in geography, a B in history of art and a C in biology.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
William passed three A-levels before going on to St Andrews university to study history of art.
William got an A grade in geography, a B in history of art and a C in biology.
Why is this relevant to a discussion about Prince Harry?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Why would they hide the dyslexia if he had it? Bea has it and talks openly about it and she is just a few years younger than Harry.

Also Harry is the spare and not the heir so its not like there is something wrong with the heir and they want to cover it up.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Majesty

I think off topic posts should be moved to the thread "Harry general news"
Old 11-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
Why is this relevant to a discussion about Prince Harry?
Because some people cannot rationalise anything unless they have something they think superior as a yardstick. In this case it's people and no, William's academic record has nothing whatsoever to do with Harry receiving the gift of a cartoon book and remarking that he didn't read many books. Prince Harry can stand on his own record of achievement which, given his school marks, are all the more remarkable.

But back to the gift from "a former Welsh Guardsman who gave him a comic strip book he has created about the 1982 Falklands war". It sounds delightful as was his sharing with that verteran about his preference for comics. That entire engagement was a ringing sucess and those who attended seemed almost universal in their praise of Harry. What was not so delightful was the immediate kneejerk reaction of some to underscore his perceived inadequacies by banging on about "The Wonders of Willie".
Old 11-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Its like shooting fish in a barrel, in the Harry threads
Old 11-09-2014, 12:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, Harry has emotional intelligence and charisma. He can really connect with people. You can see it in the way others react to him. He's an army officer and a trained co-pilot on Apache helicopters and will soon be a major. I don't consider that a sign of unintelligence.

I read years ago that before her death Diana was worried about Harry going to Eton, was thinking of other schools and wanted some tests done, possibly investigating that he might be dyslecsic. I've also read that Harry was tested for this at Eton at 17.

Many years later a gossip reporter holed up with Harry and Chelsy at a holiday spot where they were being beseiged by the media. Among the things he wrote was that they were all stuck indoors, they played various board games but were unable to play Scrabble because of Harry's dyslexia.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Well, Harry has emotional intelligence and charisma. He can really connect with people. You can see it in the way others react to him. He's an army officer and a trained co-pilot on Apache helicopters and will soon be a major. I don't consider that a sign of unintelligence.

I read years ago that before her death Diana was worried about Harry going to Eton, was thinking of other schools and wanted some tests done, possibly investigating that he might be dyslecsic. I've also read that Harry was tested for this at Eton at 17.

Many years later a gossip reporter holed up with Harry and Chelsy at a holiday spot where they were being beseiged by the media. Among the things he wrote was that they were all stuck indoors, they played various board games but were unable to play Scrabble because of Harry's dyslexia.

Harry was clearly a reckless teenager. Don't forget he was even arrested once following his final school exams for underage drinking and possession of marijuana. Even as an adult, he is still a heavy tobacco smoker and drinker and gets involved in embarassing situations such as that infamous party in Vegas. Dyslexia, if he actually has it, probably isn't the sole reason for his failed academic career. As pointed out here, princess Beatrice is dyslexic and managed to go to university nonetheless.

Just to make it clear, I am not trying to be judgmental or implying I have the moral high ground to criticize Harry's private life. I appreciate his military service and how he made a career out of it and I acknowledge that he has also stepped up his public duties recently as a working member of the BRF. However, I also think we have to see things as they are and not have some idealized image of Harry just because he happens to have been born a prince of the United Kingdom.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry Current Events 24: April 2013 to

Harry struggled at school and was only tested for dyslexia at 17 when he was almost done? Harry went to some of the top schools in the country- wouldn't they do this earlier in his school life when he was younger and learning to read.

I totally don't believe that Harry who hates reporters would be playing board games along with them and his girlfriend while hold up indoors on vacation. Other alone indoor activities with girlfriend -yes, board games with reporters-no

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Nobility

Wasn’t it also implied he has adhd?
Old 11-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Has anyone ever questioned his commitment to the military? I've only ever seen praise for his military service.

I'm with those that don't understand where this stuff about Harry having dyslexia is coming from. If that was something he was dealing with, I don't think he or the BRF would hide it.

Harry gave an interview last year and stated that taking tests is hard for him, but he also conceded that he doesn't study as hard as he should. Some people just aren't great at academics and this is something Harry has admitted. That's no judgement against him, his strengths just happen to lie elsewhere.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Word to the wise: When we don't feed the trolls, they go elsewhere.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Majesty

Let's focus on Harry being in Afghanistan today...
Old 11-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Administrator

How about we focus on Harry's Current Events. An additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Posts about Harry in Afghanistan can be posted here
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...a-1224-26.html .

Old 11-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Love that a Fallklands veteran has created a comic book about the event. It might inspire students to read about the conflict.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Heir Apparent

He's a soldier doing his job just like other soldiers. He is one of thousands of British soldiers that served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I commend him and all soldiers for their service.

He wasn't mentioned in dispatches nor did he win a Victoria Cross. So while he certainly deserves credit for serving there is no need to inflate what he did while doing his job.

Harry isn't the first member of the BRF to serve in the Army or indeed a theatre of operations and will not be the last
Old 11-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
He's a soldier doing his job just like other soldiers. He is one of thousands of British soldiers that served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I commend him and all soldiers for their service.

He wasn't mentioned in dispatches nor did he win a Victoria Cross. So while he certainly deserves credit for serving there is no need to inflate what he did while doing his job.

Harry isn't the first member of the BRF to serve in the Army or indeed a theatre of operations and will not be the last
That's all true, but back in 1983, Prince Andrew was in exactly the same position as Harry is in now - he was hailed a hero for serving in the Falklands but only because he was in the public eye and people's admiration of the armed services tends to focus on any individual who happens to be or become high profile, such as Simon Weston (albeit for different reasons).

I see no harm if people want to inflate Harry's service in Afghanistan, it brings attention to the work that the forces do as much as it brings positive attention to Harry, whether that is right, wrong or somewhere in between.

I might add that many people here in Britain were disappointed for Prince William not being allowed to serve in the same way as Harry because we know he wanted to, but wasn't allowed. This lead to much frustration for him and the country.

I hope that people will be proud of both William and Harry and accept that their paths are different, but no less admirable from each other.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Pr. Harry isn´t popular only because he served as a soldier, but because of his personality, his zest for life and his commitment to his charities.

Closed Thread