The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 01:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
For some reason, I really like seeing Harry and Joss together.
She's a performer. She knows how to 'sell' to the camera/audience. Makes a big difference. Anyone who has that skill-set going into royalty would have a massive advantage.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Majesty

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 11m 11 minutes ago
Prince Harry will visit the Field of Remembrance on Thursday at Westminster Abbey. He'll lay a cross & observe a 2-minute silence.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Story from Sunday Express about possibility of Harry returning to active service

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/col...d-Lucy-Worsley

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

The article assumes Britain will send Apaches, far from certain. The artilce states there is a shortage of pilots, Harry isn't a pilot, he is a gunner.

There is no way Harry is returning to the middle east in a combat role. I'll bet money. You read it here first
Old 11-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Story from Sunday Express about possibility of Harry returning to active service

Adam Helliker on Prince Harry, Harry Styles and Lucy Worsley | Adam Helliker | Columnists | Comment | Daily Express
Oh my gosh! If he goes, I hope he only goes to somewhere where he can't be captured. They'd love to get their hands (and sharp knives) on him.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The article assumes Britain will send Apaches, far from certain. The artilce states there is a shortage of pilots, Harry isn't a pilot, he is a gunner.

There is no way Harry is returning to the middle east in a combat role. I'll bet money. You read it here first

Harry is a pilot. He received his wings (or however you call it) in 2011. If it's needed they could send him and I bet he would go.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Serene Highness

^^^ There is a difference.

The Apache cockpit is divided into two sections, one directly behind the other. The pilot sits in the rear section, and the co-pilot/gunner sits in the front section. As you might expect, the pilot manoeuvres the helicopter and the gunner aims and fires the weapons.

Harry doesn't fly an Apache
Old 11-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
^^^ There is a difference.

The Apache cockpit is divided into two sections, one directly behind the other. The pilot sits in the rear section, and the co-pilot/gunner sits in the front section. As you might expect, the pilot manoeuvres the helicopter and the gunner aims and fires the weapons.

Harry doesn't fly an Apache
He sure does. He's qualified as an Apache Aircraft Commander. I vaguely remember him going to Arizona I think it was for specialized training. I also think that if he is needed to fly, I would bet my last piece of garlic bread that he's first in line to want to go.

http://www.eonline.com/news/436697/p...raft-commander
Old 11-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Serene Highness

A co pilot gunner does not fly an Apache. He is in charge of navigation and weapons systems
Old 11-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry did get promoted.

Importantly, he would have to be re-seconded to the Army Air Corp

Re shortage of pilots,this was reported in the uk months ago, so it isnt that thisreporter has made it up.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:17 PM
Serene Highness

His new qualification does not change his rank but it will allow him to take overall charge of missions involving up to two attack helicopters at a time.

He remains a co-pilot gunner is my point. He didn't switch seats but added more responsibility

His new qualification seen him complete the Conversion to Type Course (CTT), which teaches students to fly the aircraft, and the Conversion to Role (CTR) Course during which he learned to fight the aircraft and was awarded the prize for the best Co-Pilot Gunner.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

In practical terms when a reporter uses the word "pilot" it is probably generic, ie a personi in the helicopter. The earlier report a few months ago did state that apache personnel were in shortsupply.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness

IMO they would be dumb sending Harry. Needless bravura that puts others at greater risk. Harry has proved he cannot be sent into harms way for a whole raft of reasons. The enemy is not dumb. This is not a game to make one man feel 'involved'. I'm being blunt. I would not be happy if I thought the British would be playing this game with the troops.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Heir Apparent

hes already been in danger. This is not bravado, it is sonething that a serving soldier would be expected to do.

I think it is an option. but firstly, the UK gov needs to determine its role. air support is currently being seen as preferred option. I think this is possible, but not probable.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
hes already been in danger.
Correct, and it proved disastrous. There was a direct loss of lives because of his presence. The risk so that one man can have a 'normal experience' (as though war is 'normal) is not acceptable imo.

Quote:
This is not bravado, it is something that a serving soldier would be expected to do.
Except Harry is not just any serving soldier. He's had his time trying 'to be like any other soldier'. It doesn't work. Full stop. He needs to take himself out of the loop. This war is nasty and grubby and does not need one man trying to make it glamorous and exciting with his participation.

Quote:
I think it is an option, but firstly, the UK gov needs to determine its role. air support is currently being seen as preferred option. I think this is possible, but not probable.
If the UK decides that they want to use any support as a chance for one man to play soldier, I say their help should not be tapped. Far, far too risky for all.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

we will have to disagree

Old 11-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, with all the differing opinions and press reports about what Harry actually is, has and does, I decided to go with the official bio:

Military Career

One can only hope the Apache's are not deployed to yet another hot zone and that Harry's mates and Harry himself do not find themselves deployed on active service anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
IMO they would be dumb sending Harry. Needless bravura that puts others at greater risk. Harry has proved he cannot be sent into harms way for a whole raft of reasons. The enemy is not dumb. This is not a game to make one man feel 'involved'. I'm being blunt. I would not be happy if I thought the British would be playing this game with the troops.
I am not sure exactly what you are getting at. Are you suggesting that the UK would provide an actual "fighting war" for Harry to play with?
Quote:
Correct, and it proved disastrous. There was a direct loss of lives because of his presence. The risk so that one man can have a 'normal experience' (as though war is 'normal) is not acceptable imo.
I think I must be missing something. Are you saying that Harry "playing soldier" was directly responsible for the deaths of fellow soldiers?
Quote:
Except Harry is not just any serving soldier. He's had his time trying 'to be like any other soldier'. It doesn't work. Full stop. He needs to take himself out of the loop. This war is nasty and grubby and does not need one man trying to make it glamorous and exciting with his participation.

If the UK decides that they want to use any support as a chance for one man to play soldier, I say their help should not be tapped. Far, far too risky for all.
Could you clarify further please? I am obviously missing the sub-plot here.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Royal Highness

Didn't Harry end his attachment to the Army Air Corp and returned to the Blues and Royals? So if the Air Corp is deployed and the Blues & Royals are not, wouldn't Harry just stay his cavalry regiment?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Although Harry served in Afghanistan and was definitely in harm's way, I don't think the situation was as dire as it would now be to serve over in the Middle East with ISIS in the picture.

Regardless of how Harry may feel that he would want to do his part and serve with his mates, the fact remains that he is who he is and to ensure the safety of himself and those around him, I think it would be best if he remained at home. Why paint a bullseye on something when you don't have to?
Old 11-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Didn't Harry end his attachment to the Army Air Corp and returned to the Blues and Royals? So if the Air Corp is deployed and the Blues & Royals are not, wouldn't Harry just stay his cavalry regiment?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
This is what Harry does now

Quote:
Prince Harry, who has the rank of Captain, continues to serve in the Armed Forces and took up a Staff Officer role in HQ London District as SO3 (Defence Engagement) in 2014 , where he will help to co-ordinate significant projects and commemorative events involving the Army in London. Prince Harry remains a Commissioned Officer in the Household Cavalry.

Closed Thread