Prince Harry Current Events 26: January 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that will help; his grandmother and even his father did not have the same unrelenting scrutiny there is now.
Thanks to modern technology, Harry is never alone, and he has to accept that.

There's no point complaining, because nothing is apt to change as long as the Windsors are on the throne.

I don't know. I think Prince Charles has faced some pretty intense scrutiny in his day. One of his private phone calls was released to the public, naked photos published, and he had to sit back while his marriage and private life were picked apart by every media outlet under the sun. There is a different type of technology for sure (twitter, cell phone cameras), but I think Prince Charles can still understand what it's like to struggle with having almost no privacy.

I do agree that there is no point complaining. Unless the media cross the line (publish private photos/phone calls, break privacy agreements, etc), there is pretty much nothing that can be done.

Last edited:
I don't know. I think Prince Charles has faced some pretty intense scrutiny in his day. One of his private phone calls was released to the public, naked photos published and he had to sit back while his marriage and private life were picked apart by every media outlet under the sun. There is a different type of technology for sure (twitter, cell phones), but I think Prince Charles can still understand what it's like to struggle with having almost no privacy.

Yeah, Charles has been through some stuff. Some of it was his fault and some of it was the fault of the media. I think he just want his children, daughter-in-law and even granchildren to be aware of who they are and their surroundings.

Prince Henry is due back at RAF Brize Norton tomorrow. The MOD approved the interviews Henry did whilst in Afghanistan and only edited certain bits for security reasons.

MY RANT
Why does Harry "owe" anything to the press? As a Prince in direct lie to the throne he should have a sense of duty to the people in Britain and the Commonwealth which means making appearances, cutting ribbons and eating lots of chicken dinners (and also putting his life on the line). Doing his job as a member of the royal family does not translate into becoming a media whore. Just because the media feels they are owed interviews on any and all subjects does not translate into a duty on the part of the royal family to do so. The Queen does not feel duty bound to grant interviews. Nor should any other member of the royal family. The royal family does not need the media to do their job BUT the media needs them to sell their papers. In this 24/7 media circus, if there isn't a story, you can count on someone in the media to create a story.

The short period in Cyprus at the British base there is considered one of the reasons why British service personnel suffer a lower rate of PTSD than, for example, their American counterparts. It helps them transition back to civilian life.

It's pretty sad to me that Harry would prefer to be in an incredibly dangerous warzone, to being back at home and the subject of the media interest once more. Simply saying that if he doesn't like it he should give up his title is a red herring. Captain Wales would suffer much the same lack of privacy as Prince Harry of Wales does.

Royals from other countries are at an advantage whereby most of them live abroad for a period, either at university or doing some form of work there. They're not at all well-known in those countries, so can go about their business in relative anonymity. William and Harry have not had that option. Wherever they go, people will recognise them to a lesser or greater degree. There's really nowhere that they can go and be just another man on the street. Harry admitted last night that even in Afghan, when he would go to the canteen for dinner people would be gawking at him. Given that fact, one can understand how jealously William protects his life in Wales with Kate.

MY RANT
Why does Harry "owe" anything to the press? As a Prince in direct lie to the throne he should have a sense of duty to the people in Britain and the Commonwealth which means making appearances, cutting ribbons and eating lots of chicken dinners (and also putting his life on the line). Doing his job as a member of the royal family does not translate into becoming a media whore. Just because the media feels they are owed interviews on any and all subjects does not translate into a duty on the part of the royal family to do so. The Queen does not feel duty bound to grant interviews. Nor should any other member of the royal family. The royal family does not need the media to do their job BUT the media needs them to sell their papers. In this 24/7 media circus, if there isn't a story, you can count on someone in the media to create a story.

Except you see The Queen on a day to day basis throughout the year, you do not see Prince Henry, William or Catherine because they're tucked away "having a life". They are allowed some privacy, especially in a warzone (personally I think those interviews should have gone on after he got home). But they're public figures, they're part of our monarchy and they need to be seen to be "believed" as it were. 2012 was full of royal interviews, from everyone except The Queen but then it was her "celebration".

If the monarchy didn't exist, the media would survive just fine for instance look at the countries that don't have a monarchy. The Monarchy would be quite helpless if they went out to a royal engagement and found nobody their but little children with flowers. They need coverage.

MY RANT
You are forgetting that in the current pop culture, royalty take a backseat. Not that many people care about royalty anymore (and why should they) and would not shed a single tear if the BRF (or any RF) were to be dissolved tomorrow.
The BRF survive on media. Not the other way around. Celebs are easily replaced in the media. So are Princes and Princesses.

And I do agree that Prince Harry does not owe the media anything. He didn't choose this life. But as black-and-white as it may be; he could opt out too. If there is a will, there is a way.

I don't feel sorry for him. He is still priviliged as f.ck and male. He will survive.

You are forgetting that in the current pop culture, royalty take a backseat. Not that many people care about royalty anymore (and why should they) and would not shed a single tear if the BRF (or any RF) were to be dissolved tomorrow.

I rather doubt the thousands of people who lined the banks if the Thames for the Jubilee boat procession or the million+ who gathered in the Mall on Jubilee Day would agree with you. Given the support the monarchy enjoys the BRF aren't going anywhere soon.

I rather doubt the thousands of people who lined the banks if the Thames for the Jubilee boat procession or the million+ who gathered in the Mall on Jubilee Day would agree with you. Given the support the monarchy enjoys the BRF aren't going anywhere soon.
I doubt all of those millions actually cared the way most people on this forum care. It's a celebration and to have fun. Everyone likes to see some pomp and circumstance.

And it's also a generational issue. My generation (The teens and adolescents) mostly doesn't care and wouldn't mind seeing them go. When there is a shortage of jobs, a financial crisis, student debts and classism issues on top of that, the average, hard-working man/woman would much rather see rich and priviliged people fail than succeed. Hence why the internet had so much fun when Harry's nude pics came out.

While I do think royalty in general gives up a certain amount of privacy in exchange for their extraordinary privileges, lately the press has crossed the line. I did not agree with quite everything Harry said, but I agree with most of it. The guy just came back from a war zone, first of all. Nobody wants to kill people on the front line, but it's something seen as a necessity. Nobody wants to be reminded that they killed another human being on the front page of every rag. If Harry killed someone, ostensibly he did it for the freedom of the Piece of S*** who wrote that rag. (Doubt that comment will remain. Sorry in advance.)

Harry is right about the press and media in general this last year. Among the ones I find offensive:
1) Photos of Kate in France. No business invading her privacy like that.
2) The DJ hoax to her hospital (not blaming the nurse on them, but they did cross a line to get a hospital patient's private information)
3) As I believe Harry alluded to, the hints that he and Kate are a little too friendly - given their friendly, relaxed manner together at some of the Jubilee events.
Obviously, they don't care whose relationship they destroy in the process of sensationalism.

The press is turning these people into little more than circus animals.

Although Harry could physically decide to opt out of his royal role, I don't think for one moment he would feel morally he could do this. Of course, we don't know the guy personally, but from what we see of his attitude to his work, his charities and his closeness to his family - I can't imagine he would feel it was something he could justify as the right the thing to do. So, at best he can occasionally remind us of the aspects of his life which must on abad day seem intolerable.

Nobody wants to kill people on the front line, but it's something seen as a necessity. Nobody wants to be reminded that they killed another human being on the front page of every rag.

Harry is a co-pilot gunner in an AH-64 Apache attack helicopter. The Apache helicopter has been described as the most lethal helicopter in military aviation history. Its primary mission is to destroy high-value targets with precision strikes. It carries Hellfire missiles, Hydra 70 (70 mm, 2.75-inch) rockets and M230 30 mm chain gun. AH-64 Apache Helicopter: A Lethal Weapon

Killing people is what Harry has been trained to do. It's his job, and he enjoys his job. He would have been through those programs the military have to overcome human beings' instinctive aversion to killing others. He went to a war zone knowing he would be using his training as a gunner and killing the enemy. He was probably looking forward to it.

And that's just fine with me. We need people with Harry's training, and he should be proud of what he is and for having done his job well. If - though I doubt it - he feels any guilt over doing his job well perhaps he needs some training to deal with that. That's probably happening in Cyprus, actually. Perhaps it's a shame that he didn't give any interviews until he'd had those debriefing sessions.

Last edited:
I don't think Harry (nor any of his fellow soldiers) enjoy the actual killing but I bet they do love their job and they should. I like my job even though there are certain aspects I like less. As for wether he feels guilty or uncomfortable.. I would expect them to feel something and those feelings might be conflicting and that's fine. I distrust someone who kills and feels nothing.

My nieces husband has served 4 tours in Afganistan. He was in the US Marines and also used shipping containers for living quarters. The debriefing is so important to these guys when their portion of the job is done. It does take effort to return to an ordinary life. It also takes understanding from the people around them. I hope Prince Harry gets all the care he needs. Thanks to all the men and women who do such a thanksless job.

I haven't been able to see any of the interviews yet, so I can't comment on whether Harry was whining or anything like that, but the idea that he should have been more positive or less bitter or whatever seems strange to me. It sounds like he was pretty close to forced into giving the interviews so the press would leave him alone while he was doing his job; in and of itself this seems pathetic on the part of the press and I can understand why Harry would decide to be curt with them. Harry is like his grandfather in that I don't think he especially cares if he's popular with the press or the public.

Also, for those who are saying if Harry doesn't like his situation he should give up royal life completely - how do you see that making things better for him? As some people have pointed out in this thread, the press harass regular celebrities, too. Harry could not use his title, not do royal engagements and not take any funds from his father and he would still be the young, wealthy, attractive brother of the future king. He would still be the same person the press has been following around since birth and they would continue to hound him as intensely as they always have.

There's also the fact that exiting royal life entirely would mean hanging his brother out to dry. There's only the two of them. Regardless of how much Harry may hate certain aspects of being royal, it's very clear that he is unfailingly loyal and close to William.

Harry is a co-pilot gunner in an AH-64 Apache attack helicopter. The Apache helicopter has been described as the most lethal helicopter in military aviation history. Its primary mission is to destroy high-value targets with precision strikes. It carries Hellfire missiles, Hydra 70 (70 mm, 2.75-inch) rockets and M230 30 mm chain gun. AH-64 Apache Helicopter: A Lethal Weapon

Killing people is what Harry has been trained to do. It's his job, and he enjoys his job. He would have been through those programs the military have to overcome human beings' instinctive aversion to killing others. He went to a war zone knowing he would be using his training as a gunner and killing the enemy. He was probably looking forward to it.

And that's just fine with me. We need people with Harry's training, and he should be proud of what he is and for having done his job well. If - though I doubt it - he feels any guilt over doing his job well perhaps he needs some training to deal with that. That's probably happening in Cyprus, actually. Perhaps it's a shame that he didn't give any interviews until he'd had those debriefing sessions.

This is contrary to human nature and how men and women who go to war and pull triggers actually feel. The one part you got right is that he will need support to deal with his conflicting feelings.

If the monarchy didn't exist, the media would survive just fine for instance look at the countries that don't have a monarchy. The Monarchy would be quite helpless if they went out to a royal engagement and found nobody their but little children with flowers. They need coverage.

The press will never stop covering the monarchy. Ever. It's not like if the media is forced into granting the royal family a greater degree of privacy they'll say, "oh well then, we're not going to cover them at all, see how they like that!" They'll take what they can get because any amount of coverage of the young royals especially is more profitable than none at all.

“It’s a joy for me because I’m one of those people who loves playing PlayStation and Xbox," the 28-year-old said. "So with my thumbs I like to think I’m probably quite useful."

This quote, btw, is rather troublesome. The Taliban even went out of their way to make a statement.

“To describe the war in Afghanistan as a game demeans anyone—especially a prince, who is supposed to be made of better things.”
Mujahid continued: “It shows the lack of understanding, of knowledge. It shows they are unfamiliar with the situation and shows why they are losing. ... It’s not a game. It’s very, very real."

This whole interview has not shown him in a good light to me, at all.

Welcome Home Captain Wales!!!
Amen to that.
MY RANT
Terrific post and very well stated.

I don't think Harry (nor any of his fellow soldiers) enjoy the actual killing but I bet they do love their job and they should. I like my job even though there are certain aspects I like less. As for whether he feels guilty or uncomfortable.. I would expect them to feel something and those feelings might be conflicting and that's fine. I distrust someone who kills and feels nothing.
Yes, I believe they are all somewhat conflicted. They all want to be good at their jobs and enjoy their jobs, but that is not to say they are sociopaths that enjoy killing!

My take on the interviews was that Harry got a chance to do what no other member of the BRF has. He got to show them just what he thought of them on a personal level and let's be honest, his personal experience of their lack of common decency and even legality has been far greater than most people, royal, political or celebrity.

He also got to show his personal contempt for the media by exposing the amoral reason there even was an interview, let alone in such a place. Common Blackmail! Why the hell should he be gracious? Why should there have had to be an agreement not to blow his (and everybody else's) cover in a war zone.

Personally I am amazed at the posts complaining that Harry was rude or ungracious to the media. Was it rude to tell them, and the world, the only reason he was actually doing the interviews in the first place.

This is contrary to human nature and how men and women who go to war and pull triggers actually feel.

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Surely no-one is so naive as to join the army and train as a helicopter gunner and not know their job is to kill other people. People's responses to combat vary though, and the military is very aware of the issues and they are well equipped to deal with them, having carried out numerous studies.

It is now well known that soldiers have to be trained to kill. They are taught how to overcome the natural aversion to killing other humans. The military also now knows the importance of debriefing after the event, before the soldiers return home, to address their issues, and that's why he's in Cyprus.

Some references of the numerous available on the internet:

Hope on the Battlefield | Greater Good
On Killing-the psychological kost
BBC News - How soldiers deal with the job of killing
Historical group debriefing after combat exposure. [Mil Med. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI

Would you prefer that Harry beat his chest and cried because his job involved killing people??? Much like surgeons, police, fire and others tend to have ghoulish humor in response to what they often see in their jobs. Most of the military tend to play down what they do and what they see in a war zone as a sort of self-protective measure and to keep the horrors of war from their families.

As for the Tailban - their objective was to kill Prince Harry. Instead he killed them.
Don't forget, the Tailban is behind all the attacks on little girls attending school - such as throwing acid on their faces.

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Surely no-one is so naive as to join the army and train as a helicopter gunner and not know their job is to kill other people. People's responses to combat vary though, and the military is very aware of the issues and they are well equipped to deal with them, having carried out numerous studies.

It is now well known that soldiers have to be trained to kill. They are taught how to overcome the natural aversion to killing other humans. The military also now knows the importance of debriefing after the event, before the soldiers return home, to address their issues, and that's why he's in Cyprus.

I don't think there are many service men and women that have gone to the war zones and actually enjoyed killing the enemy. Its why, as you said, they are expertly trained and need a period of debriefing and adjustment to civilian life after a tour of duty. I heard one returning vet of Afghanistan state just how one's frame of mind is in a war zone succinctly. Simply put, he stated "We're not there because we hate who is in front of us but because we love who is behind us."

This quote, btw, is rather troublesome. The Taliban even went out of their way to make a statement.

Harry wasn't being flippant about the war, he was being flippant about his skills. The BBC programme I watched emphasised how skilled Harry must be to take the front seat in an Apache as he is only co-pilot. Very rare event. He is not going to sing his own praises so he is flippant about his skills - honed he is saying by playing computer games.

Its a light hearted approach to something he takes seriously. Lots of young men do this. It is also a very British approach IMO.

He is more aware of his surroundings, and those interviewing him ask him questions like, "What he thought about the palaces announcement of the baby?". He is obviously happy for his brother, but people are dying all around, and people are specifically trying to get him. Being asked tabloid questions in the middle of a war zone could be slightly annoying!

Since when have the Taliban held the moral high ground on anything and why should we care what they think?

Except you see The Queen on a day to day basis throughout the year, you do not see Prince Henry, William or Catherine because they're tucked away "having a life". They are allowed some privacy, especially in a warzone (personally I think those interviews should have gone on after he got home). But they're public figures, they're part of our monarchy and they need to be seen to be "believed" as it were. 2012 was full of royal interviews, from everyone except The Queen but then it was her "celebration".

So unfortunate Harry offended the Taliban's delicate sensibilities. I certainly hope they didn't have to take time out of their busy schedule of beating women and shooting children to make this statement.

So unfortunate Harry offended the Taliban's delicate sensibilities. I certainly hope they didn't have to take time out of their busy schedule of beating women and shooting children to make this statement.

Right on !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom