Prince Harry Current Events 26: January 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but it's not really to do with his safety... two soldiers are now dead in what appears to be an attempt on Harry's life. It would perhaps be unfair and very upsetting to Harry to have to leave, but if fellow solders are dying because his presence is actually causing attacks* where they would not otherwise occur he needs to leave.

Harry is obviously prepared to face the extreme additional threat to his safety, but it is unconscionable that others should become direct casualties in the determination to make Prince Harry "just a normal soldier."

*According to reports a Taliban spokesman has named Harry's presence as the reason this base was attacked.

It's best to take everything the Taliban say with a huge spoonful of salt. There have been attacks on and within Camp Bastion before Harry arrived and I'm sure there will be more after his tour is over.

The Taliban said the attack was as a result of the American film that insulted Islam and which has set the whole of the Muslim world alight. The British media, as well as the Ministry of Defence, are saying the Taliban just threw Prince Harry's name into the mix for propaganda purposes after the event.

carlota said:
this is shocking news. i wonder if they have evacuated harry for his safety and specially his mates' now that the talibans have announced he was the target.
i feel sorry for the dead soldiers.

They shouldn't evacuate him, he knows he's a target, everyone knows. He wants to be treated like a normal soldier.

Prince Charles@Charles_HRH
Happy Birthday, Prince Harry. Hopefully he'll celebrate it without wearing his birthday suit.

He's like a great big bull's eye now, not just to himself but to everyone around him. They should pull him out and announce loudly that's what they did. There are other places they can send him where he can be equally useful and not be a danger to himself and others.

According to this article, it's believed that the attack had been in the works for at least two weeks (so at least one week longer than Harry has been there).

It is too late for Harry to not be a danger to himself and others - Muslim extremists will have him in their sites now for the simple reason that he has been to Afghanistan as a combatitive soldier and so will be a high profile target for all the deaths that has occurred there at the hands of the British troops and their allies.

The fact that this plan was in the works before Harry arrived shouldn't be a surprise when it has been known for months that he was due to be deployed in September.

:previous: And today and tomorrow the Muslim world is going up in flames over "that video". Somehow I think that there will always be reasons, some valid some not but I do think that pulling him out would be an incredible coup for the Taliban and I don't know about any of you, but I personally don't want to hand them that particular trophy . . . it would be even better propaganda than if they killed him . . . "Prince Harry is so scared of us that he fled Afghanistan and abandoned this comrades their fates". Now that really would do wonders for morale!

There have been attacks on Camp Bastion last week, last month and last year and, it is a sad fact that in war there are casualties and anyone who thinks they can lay the blame for them on one particular soldier/sailor/airman is indulging in wishful thinking. If Harry isn't the target then someone, anyone else will be because by the very nature of war someone has to be. Will it be the Divisional Commander, an Ambassador or High Commissioner or will it just be "them", the enemy?

:previous: And today and tomorrow the Muslim world is going up in flames over "that video".

Apparently the Taliban hasn't quite decided if this attack was over Prince Harry or the video:

Afghan policeman guns down two Nato soldiers | World news | guardian.co.uk

On Saturday, a Taliban commander told Sky News that Prince Harry was the main focus of the attack on Camp Bastion, but other Taliban spokesmen told media organisations that the attack was in revenge for the anti-Islamic film The Innocence of Muslims.

It's tradition for Royals to serve in the forces and Harry's done that once, just like Prince Andrew before him.

What sense did it make to send him again? The first time he had to return early because of threats to his life. What's different this time? Why can't he be recalled to Britain?

I understand he is no different than others fighting out there, but his presence brings risk to the lives of those around him. That is the difference between him and the others.

Princess B said:
I understand he is no different than others fighting out there, but his presence brings risk to the lives of those around him. That is the difference between him and the others.

The MOD and the other soldiers understand that, else they wouldn't have sent him again. He was not sent back the first time because his life was threatened, he was sent back because him being there was exposed, it was a secret.

The very presence of Camp Bastion brings risk to the people within it. There are those who would attack and kill over a movie; they scarcely need any more excuses.

The rest of us (including Prince Harry) should not run our lives according to people whose thinking is so disturbed. Further, as someone said upthread, Camp Bastion is regularly attacked, with or without Harry.

PrincessKaimi said:
The very presence of Camp Bastion brings risk to the people within it. There are those who would attack and kill over a movie; they scarcely need any more excuses.

The rest of us (including Prince Harry) should not run our lives according to people whose thinking is so disturbed. Further, as someone said upthread, Camp Bastion is regularly attacked, with or without Harry.

I agree it is regularly attacked. But Prince Harry's presence will probably increase the frequency or intensity of the attacks.

I know I'm really worrying for his safety well knowing there are others whose lives are at stake. It's just that I am a huge Diana fan and her sons as well now.

Another thought, if the Taliban issues threats for one of her sons, would the queen send them to the frontline even then? ( something similar may have happened during the Falklands war, I may not be aware of)

In saying the above, I don't mean to start an argument. It's just a thought

It's tradition for Royals to serve in the forces and Harry's done that once, just like Prince Andrew before him.

What sense did it make to send him again? The first time he had to return early because of threats to his life. What's different this time? Why can't he be recalled to Britain?

Regarding whether it makes sense to send Harry to serve, at this point I don't think they have much choice but to at least attempt to allow him to go. IMO it would be hard for the military to justify spending such a large amount of time and money on Harry's training and then not putting him to use in the same way they would anyone else who'd been similarly trained.

Regarding whether it makes sense to send Harry to serve, at this point I don't think they have much choice but to at least attempt to allow him to go. IMO it would be hard for the military to justify spending such a large amount of time and money on Harry's training and then not putting him to use in the same way they would anyone else who'd been similarly trained.

Harry has always wanted to be in the military since he was a small child and has geared his life and training into serving his Queen and country in that capacity. Although it is traditional for royals to spend time in military service, I don't think, other than perhaps Andrew, that any really wanted to maintain it as a life's career as Harry seems to want to do. This tour of Afghanistan is just a small part of how intensely Harry is involved with his fellow comrades in arms and I believe he'll stick with them through thick or thin even after this recent attack at Camp Bastion.

My thoughts are that when it comes to attitude of the armed forces at either Bastion or Leatherneck, the motto would be "These colors don't run".

So what is the latest on Harry? Is he going to be flown out of that horrible place?

Really? Serious? I must be the only one who thinks they ned to get him out of there whether he wants to or not. I just cant see taking that risk with him. I know, I know, he wants to stay but come on.

He is a soldier just like the other service men and women in Afghanistan and subject to the same risks. It is what he signed up for. Besides he is the spare, not the heir, so he is allowed to risk active service in a war zone.

If he is pulled out, what do you say to the mothers and fathers, husbands and wives of other service personnel who must stay behind?

Last edited:
LadyGabrielle said:
Really? Serious? I must be the only one who thinks they ned to get him out of there whether he wants to or not. I just cant see taking that risk with him. I know, I know, he wants to stay but come on.

I don't see why there's any 'come on' about it. Henry is a target like every other British soldier in the country. We know Henry wanted to do this so if he does in the war zone then at least it was in the knowledge he served his country. His life is no more important than any other soldier over there. If you take Henry out, take them all out.

I want him to be called back to England too.

There are precautions in place to keep him as safe as they possibly can. I too thought it might be best for him to come home, but after thinking about it for awhile, I think they should let him stay. He's been wanting to go back for so long, so it would be a little unfair to bring him home now.

'Clearly there are fall-back plans and I can't go into the detail of them - but once we knew on Friday night that the perimeter at Bastion had been breached he would have been moved to a secure position under effective guard.'

Asked by presenter Jeremy Paxman if that meant Prince Harry was not treated the same as every other soldier, the Defence Secretary said: 'You asked me whether he was at any greater risk. 'And I've told you that in combat he's at the same risk as any other Apache pilot.

'Clearly if we had a VIP in theatre and frankly if I was there or, Jeremy, if you were there in Camp Bastion and there was a breach of the perimeter security, anybody who might, by nature of who they are, be a target, they would be put in a secure location.'

He added: 'He is serving there as an ordinary officer but clearly there are additional security arrangements in place that recognise that he could be a target himself specifically as a result of who he is.'

Source: Dailymail

Last edited:
We've had a number of Presidential, Vice president's and VP candidate's sons in the live theatre in the middle east. (Biden, McCain, soon Palin) There was hue and cry over that as well - putting others in danger, etc. They served capably and to my knowledge without additional harm to anyone.

I know that a Prince is different from the son of a major Politician, but both would stir up media coverage if something happened.

:previous:

You make a good point and it bothers me when some media outlets and commentators slate Prince Harry for his military service especially when he could have a 'cushy' job behind a desk somewhere. (This goes for the Duke of Cambridge as well)

Charles was never put in a situation that could lead to him being seriously injured or killed. Why is it so different for Harry? Just because he wants to be in the midst of battle? Well Im sorry but that to me is not a good enough reason to put his life at risk. He could make himself useful by being a fulltime working royal, Im sure granny would find things to keep him busy. Just my opinion.

:previous:
Prince Charles was Heir Apparent, Harry is not.
Prince Andrew, who was once in the same position as Harry is now (Heir Presumptive to Heir Apparent) was put in a position of real danger during Falklands' War.

In my opinion, Harry's presence in Afghanistan is not because he wants to "play" a soldier, but simply because he doesn't want to be treated differently from his comrades. Harry is an officer of the British Armed Forces, the country is at war with another country: what's so surprising about the fact that one of the best pilots in Britain (and Apache pilots are the elite by default) is sent to the frontline to assist his comrades to the best of his abilities?

Last edited:
Artemisia - you are so right. Harry does not want to play a soldier - he IS a soldier to his core. He likes the work, likes his mates and men, enjoys the teamwork, the sense of purpose. He may even enjoy the hardship, dirt and danger. I say let him serve his country!

Charles was never put in a situation that could lead to him being seriously injured or killed. Why is it so different for Harry? Just because he wants to be in the midst of battle? Well Im sorry but that to me is not a good enough reason to put his life at risk. He could make himself useful by being a fulltime working royal, Im sure granny would find things to keep him busy. Just my opinion.

But I don't think Harry wants to just be "useful", I think he wants to make a real contribution. This is one trait that he witnessed first-hand from both his mother and his father. And I think the same can be said of William.

If the Queen wants to limit Harry's contribution to royal engagements, then I am sure that he will do his very best to make his granny (and Queen) proud. However, she has set a precedent with her children in not only allowing them, but encouraging them, to make a real difference. I cannot see her being party to "mollycoddling" her grandsons if they are truly making the contributions they believe they can make.

There is the HUGE difference between Charles and Henry. Charles was an heir, Henry is the spare. Andrew who was the spare, although he went after when Diana was pregnant, went to the Falklands. It is he you should compare Henry to, not his father.

He doesn't want to be in the midst of battle, does anyone really? He wants to put his training to use and not be a waste of money to the MOD. He wants to serve alongside his comrades who he's trained with for years. He wants to protect them and do his duty to his grandmother.

I'm also sure that granny would find him things to do as a full time royal, but if Henry can do this, why shouldn't he? He's done it before. He wasn't pulled out because of terrorist threats, he was pulled out because his position in the field and that of his unit was compromised. Now we know he's there, when he went, when he's due back and where he is.

There is the HUGE difference between Charles and Henry. Charles was an heir, Henry is the spare. Andrew who was the spare, although he went after when Diana was pregnant, went to the Falklands. It is he you should compare Henry to, not his father.

He doesn't want to be in the midst of battle, does anyone really? He wants to put his training to use and not be a waste of money to the MOD. He wants to serve alongside his comrades who he's trained with for years. He wants to protect them and do his duty to his grandmother.

I'm also sure that granny would find him things to do as a full time royal, but if Henry can do this, why shouldn't he? He's done it before. He wasn't pulled out because of terrorist threats, he was pulled out because his position in the field and that of his unit was compromised. Now we know he's there, when he went, when he's due back and where he is.

Prince Andrew was sent to a war zone once. This is Prince Harry's second deployment to Afghanistan.

Even if I compare the 2 spares or third in line to the throne at the time of going to war, things have been different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom