The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Nobility

He's pretty angry and this won't be the last from Harry on media scrutiny and having some privacy. There'll be a few blowups coming down the pike, because the media is not going to co-operate with Harry's idea that he's entitled to privacy.

And if Harry eventually chooses a partner that it is not really ready for the kind of media frenzy that Kate has endured, he's going to create a real fuss.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

The more of a fuss Harry makes, the worse it's going to get.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I've just watched the BBC programme. I expect that each network has a slightly different take.

My main take is that he hated every minute of those interviews. It was obvious in the speed at which he spoke and his dismissive approach to the interviewer(s). It was part of a "deal" that he would do this, on the basis they did not write about his tour till now. Awful that a deal needed to be done. His resentment is understandable and goes back to "very early on" (or words to that effect) which the programme translated as referring to his mother, to the extent of showing a clip of her.

The obviously loves his job but would rather be with his men in his army unit.

He is modest about his abilities but although not accademic, he is intelligent, with strong interpersonal skills (apart from journalists) and must have strong spatial awareness. Interesting character.

I've already read twitters from journalists complaining about Harry "whinging" about the media.

My favourite line - re Vegas "more Army than Prince". I think that's how he prefers it.

I'm rethinking speculating over his life. It now seems very intrusive

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
My favourite line - re Vegas "more Army than Prince". I think that's how he prefers it.
If he hates it so much, he has choices. If he wants to remain a Royal, he needs to get a grip.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
If he hates it so much, he has choices. If he wants to remain a Royal, he needs to get a grip.
Yes, he has choices, but he gets to remain a Royal no matter what.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Courtier

I'm so happy he's finally coming back!

He is right about being angry with the media and I'm glad he recognizes his behaviour in Las Vegas was wrong.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Heedless, cold hearted response.
Really cepe? Why should he get to have his cake and eat it too? Why should he get it all his way? If he hates it so much that he can't remain civil to the press, he should surrender his Royal style and live the life of an ordinary, but extremely wealthy, army officer. Let those who can control themselves be Royals and enjoy the privileges of Royal status.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I feel for him, but I don't know if there is anything that can be done. He is not the first, or the only royal that has had to deal with a very intrusive (and sometimes nasty) media. I'm sure the other members of the BRF, are equally unhappy with having their lives dissected and picked apart. Maybe he should sit down with his grandmother and father and ask them how they have handled the unwanted scrutiny.

I do understand his anger and frustration, but unfortunately he is part of the royal family. Unless he decides to give up his title, he (and William) are going to have to accept that the media will be interested in them, and that they will only be able to control the media up to a certain point.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
This is a tad naive. He will be followed and written about for the rest of his life.

Quote from Harry.

"I don't believe there is any such a thing as private life any more. I'm not going to sit here and whinge. Everybody knows about Twitter and the internet and stuff like that. Every single mobile phone has got a camera on it now. You can't move an inch without someone judging you, and I suppose that's just the way life goes."

And you just judged him.

Different perspectives between us - that's the way it goes.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Really cepe? Why should he get to have his cake and eat it too? Why should he get it all his way? If he hates it so much that he can't remain civil to the press, he should surrender his Royal style and live the life of an ordinary, but extremely wealthy, army officer. Let those who can control themselves be Royals and enjoy the privileges of Royal status.
He doesn't have to surrender his Royal style to live the life of an ordinary, but extremely wealthy, army officer. He can just go and live the life of an ordinary, but extremely wealthy, army officer.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
This is a tad naive. He will be followed and written about for the rest of his life.

Quote from Harry.

"I don't believe there is any such a thing as private life any more. I'm not going to sit here and whinge. Everybody knows about Twitter and the internet and stuff like that. Every single mobile phone has got a camera on it now. You can't move an inch without someone judging you, and I suppose that's just the way life goes."

And you just judged him.

Different perspectives between us - that's the way it goes.
I'm judging him because he is whinging, regardless of what he says. He needs to deal with the modern media and communications and choose his playmates more carefully. By his behaviour and attitude he has the ability to dictate the tone, at least, of what is written about him. He is behaving like a spoilt brat.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Even surrendering his royal style and title would not give him immunity from the press. He will always be a grandson of QEII and eventually son of Charles III and younger brother of William V. People will always be interested in what he says or does. Annes children never had titles but they still get writtten about. Even people more remotely related to the Rf have stories written about them. There is freedom of the press but no freedom from the press, especially in the age of the internet and camera phines when almost everyone seems poised to sell anyone out for a few $$. People have lost respect for their own privacy (Facebook, Twitter etc) so they have no respect for other peoples privacy.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Nobility

Boys and girls It is, and will remain a Love/Hate relationship. Things like him going to war with his men, he feels is personal, and let him alone. Oh the other hand, when he is doing something for the Princes' Trust, it's smiles and red carpet. The other royals are on the agreed upon "Christmas Holiday". The media is starving for royal news, and Harry popped up.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I'm judging him because he is whinging, regardless of what he says. He needs to deal with the modern media and communications and choose his playmates more carefully. By his behaviour and attitude he has the ability to dictate the tone, at least, of what is written about him. He is behaving like a spoilt brat.

Don't have a whole lot of empathy for others, eh?

I think Harry recognizes that his life is very privileged, but at the same time- recognizes that he'll never be able to have a private life, and is bothered by that a bit. I don't see that as being spoiled or as whining.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
There is freedom of the press but no freedom from the press, especially in the age of the internet and camera phines when almost everyone seems poised to sell anyone out for a few $$. People have lost respect for their own privacy (Facebook, Twitter etc) so they have no respect for other peoples privacy.
well written and so true. I feel so sorry for Pr Harry, Prcs Beatrice and Eugenie. The press seems out to get them. For no good reason that i can see except to sell papers/magazines.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanRoyal View Post
He doesn't have to surrender his Royal style to live the life of an ordinary, but extremely wealthy, army officer. He can just go and live the life of an ordinary, but extremely wealthy, army officer.
Unfortunately that is not just possible for him. And anyone who believes he can do this is very naive.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Don't have a whole lot of empathy for others, eh?

I think Harry recognizes that his life is very privileged, but at the same time- recognizes that he'll never be able to have a private life, and is bothered by that a bit. I don't see that as being spoiled or as whining.

Oh, yes, I can well and truly understand his situation and his feelings. I would absolutely hate to be in his situation, living in a goldfish bowl. He has lived in one all his life though, and should have come to terms with its limitations by now. He has no private life. Everything he does is likely to be reported by the press or social media. The press is never going to let him alone. He should accept that fact gracefully, or have the courage of his convictions and bail out and become simply Mr Harry Wales. The media would still not leave him alone, of course, but he would then have the right to tell them to naff off.

It's the way he handles his situation that is important to me. I'm not going to sit here saying, "Poor Harry" if he's being curt with the media and making his displeasure with his lot in life quite clear. It would be very different if he were gracious about it, but it seems he's not.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
well written and so true. I feel so sorry for Pr Harry, Prcs Beatrice and Eugenie. The press seems out to get them. For no good reason that i can see except to sell papers/magazines.
I don't think the press are out to get any of them. Do they get neg press sure but so has every other member of the BRF. Hopefully both Will and Harry come to terms with the role the media does and will continue to play in their lives.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Majesty

I'm just happy that Harry's back and safe.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe View Post
Unfortunately that is not just possible for him. And anyone who believes he can do this is very naive.
Oh yes he can. I don't see Harry totally abandoning his brother, so he could very well do just the minimum for a royal and still live - in the words of another poster - "the life of an ordinary, but extremely wealthy, army officer".

Closed Thread