The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
In light of all that is going on over there, will they pull Harry from Afghanistan? I hope he and the rest of the men remain safe.

i also hope eveyone stays safe.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:48 PM

Prince harry base attacked by taliban

URGENT BREAKING: PRINCE HARRY AFGANISTAN BASE ATTACKED! AT LEAST 2 DEAD! - TheCount.com - News | Gossip

Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Commoner

Sad. Hope they will now find a way to keep all the troops safe
Old 09-15-2012, 02:10 AM
Heir Apparent

U.S. Marines Dead In Afghanistan Attack, Official Says

Really sad... Hope they are safe.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Majesty

this is shocking news. i wonder if they have evacuated harry for his safety and specially his mates' now that the talibans have announced he was the target.
i feel sorry for the dead soldiers.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
this is shocking news. i wonder if they have evacuated harry for his safety and specially his mates' now that the talibans have announced he was the target.
They shouldn't evacuate him, he knows he's a target, everyone knows. He wants to be treated like a normal soldier.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree, I am sure he will fight that. He wants to be with his brothers.

LaRae
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
They shouldn't evacuate him, he knows he's a target, everyone knows. He wants to be treated like a normal soldier.
Yes, but it's not really to do with his safety... two soldiers are now dead in what appears to be an attempt on Harry's life. It would perhaps be unfair and very upsetting to Harry to have to leave, but if fellow solders are dying because his presence is actually causing attacks* where they would not otherwise occur he needs to leave.

Harry is obviously prepared to face the extreme additional threat to his safety, but it is unconscionable that others should become direct casualties in the determination to make Prince Harry "just a normal soldier."

*According to reports a Taliban spokesman has named Harry's presence as the reason this base was attacked.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

So awful to hear about the two soldiers killed in the attack.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Yes, but it's not really to do with his safety... two soldiers are now dead in what appears to be an attempt on Harry's life. It would perhaps be unfair and very upsetting to Harry to have to leave, but if fellow solders are dying because his presence is actually causing attacks* where they would not otherwise occur he needs to leave.

Harry is obviously prepared to face the extreme additional threat to his safety, but it is unconscionable that others should become direct casualties in the determination to make Prince Harry "just a normal soldier."

*According to reports a Taliban spokesman has named Harry's presence as the reason this base was attacked.
I completely understand your POV. However, the two are dead because some people believe violence will win the cause.

In the same way that the Taliban target politicians, liberal leaders, women trying to get an education, higher ranking officers, the police, then by your logic, we should eliminate all these targets. There should be no free speech because it is not worth the cost.

Harry was the excuse they used - they targeted the US side of the base, not the side Harry was on. By saying they targeted Harry, they stir the pot and get additional publicity. These two soldiers died for their country - not because Harry was on the base.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post

It's best to take everything the Taliban say with a huge spoonful of salt. There have been attacks on and within Camp Bastion before Harry arrived and I'm sure there will be more after his tour is over.

The Taliban said the attack was as a result of the American film that insulted Islam and which has set the whole of the Muslim world alight. The British media, as well as the Ministry of Defence, are saying the Taliban just threw Prince Harry's name into the mix for propaganda purposes after the event.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
Old 09-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Majesty

Spletnik.ru --- Prince Henry turns 28

Spletnik.ru --- Terrorists attacked Camp Bastion
Old 09-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Charles@Charles_HRH
Happy Birthday, Prince Harry. Hopefully he'll celebrate it without wearing his birthday suit.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Aristocracy

He's like a great big bull's eye now, not just to himself but to everyone around him. They should pull him out and announce loudly that's what they did. There are other places they can send him where he can be equally useful and not be a danger to himself and others.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Moderator Emeritus

According to this article, it's believed that the attack had been in the works for at least two weeks (so at least one week longer than Harry has been there).
Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

It is too late for Harry to not be a danger to himself and others - Muslim extremists will have him in their sites now for the simple reason that he has been to Afghanistan as a combatitive soldier and so will be a high profile target for all the deaths that has occurred there at the hands of the British troops and their allies.

The fact that this plan was in the works before Harry arrived shouldn't be a surprise when it has been known for months that he was due to be deployed in September.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Majesty

And today and tomorrow the Muslim world is going up in flames over "that video". Somehow I think that there will always be reasons, some valid some not but I do think that pulling him out would be an incredible coup for the Taliban and I don't know about any of you, but I personally don't want to hand them that particular trophy . . . it would be even better propaganda than if they killed him . . . "Prince Harry is so scared of us that he fled Afghanistan and abandoned this comrades their fates". Now that really would do wonders for morale!

There have been attacks on Camp Bastion last week, last month and last year and, it is a sad fact that in war there are casualties and anyone who thinks they can lay the blame for them on one particular soldier/sailor/airman is indulging in wishful thinking. If Harry isn't the target then someone, anyone else will be because by the very nature of war someone has to be. Will it be the Divisional Commander, an Ambassador or High Commissioner or will it just be "them", the enemy?
Old 09-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
And today and tomorrow the Muslim world is going up in flames over "that video".
Apparently the Taliban hasn't quite decided if this attack was over Prince Harry or the video:

Afghan policeman guns down two Nato soldiers | World news | guardian.co.uk

On Saturday, a Taliban commander told Sky News that Prince Harry was the main focus of the attack on Camp Bastion, but other Taliban spokesmen told media organisations that the attack was in revenge for the anti-Islamic film The Innocence of Muslims.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Aristocracy

It's tradition for Royals to serve in the forces and Harry's done that once, just like Prince Andrew before him.

What sense did it make to send him again? The first time he had to return early because of threats to his life. What's different this time? Why can't he be recalled to Britain?

I understand he is no different than others fighting out there, but his presence brings risk to the lives of those around him. That is the difference between him and the others.

Closed Thread