The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

In my experience, a lot of service personnel will tell you that 'doing it for their country' is considerably lower on their list of reasons why they do what they choose to do. Most will tell you that it's the bond that builds between their comrades in arms that's uppermost in their minds. In battle, troops will always say they are fighting for their mates before Queen and country.

I personally think that's why Harry's been so desperate to get back. He's seen his brothers in arms go off and put their lives on the line, and sometimes make the ultimate sacrifice, yet he hasn't been able to be out there helping them.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Here there are, IME, 3 or 4 main reasons....service to country/patriotism, a good career, to aid others being oppressed and some guys just like war and all the stuff that goes with it.

After 9/11 there were those who joined just so they could 'punish' the terrorists. Probably not unlike how it was after Pearl Harbor.

The brothers in arms reason doesn't really factor in until after they have gotten thru basic training and into a set unit and they start bonding with each other. Then they fight for each other as well.

LaRae

Old 09-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Here there are, IME, 3 or 4 main reasons....service to country/patriotism, a good career, to aid others being oppressed and some guys just like war and all the stuff that goes with it.

After 9/11 there were those who joined just so they could 'punish' the terrorists. Probably not unlike how it was after Pearl Harbor.

The brothers in arms reason doesn't really factor in until after they have gotten thru basic training and into a set unit and they start bonding with each other. Then they fight for each other as well.

LaRae
I grew up in the 60s with the "hell no... we won't go" protests and guys I knew went to Viet Nam because they were drafted. Each soldier that I know that went at that time had different outlooks and different experiences. One came home to fight against Agent Orange whereas the other couldn't brag enough and show pictures of the Charlies he'd killed while another was a special ops and was greeted at the airport with being egged. They both suffered from PSTD in their own way and at that time, no one really knew how to deal with it.

I've never been in the service nor can I begin to assume what each soldier goes though or how military life affects them. I do know that after the first Desert Storm, the attitude quickly switched to "I'm going". We all have a basic instinct I think to want to right wrongs and these kind of situations bring out the best (and perhaps sometimes... the worse) in us.

A friend of mine lost her husband a few years ago in Afghanistan. They were a family that adopted and fostered many special needs children. To this day, his boots are still parked under his side of the bed. There's a bazillion stories.

Harry has wanted to be military since he was a small child from what I read. Its been a goal of his and he's done whatever he could to make that a reality. He's really gone above and beyond what is expected of a royal in military duty. He's there because he wants to be and trained because that is what he wants to do.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Have ya'll see the pic of Harry when he was probably about 5 or 6 in the tank with the helmet on? Doesn't surprise me that Harry is in service, hopefully he can make a career of it....and I think if William wasn't who he is he would of been able fight overseas as well...no way they will let him, a shame really. Kings of GB have fought while King in the past.

I'm the wife of a service member, daughter of a service member and mother of a service member....our son started out young like Harry, wanting to serve and so he is.

LaRae
Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Kings of GB have fought while King in the past.

LaRae
Well not for a very very long time. George II in 1743 was the last monarch to lead his troops in battle.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh I know...but I see no reason the POW (when he was younger) or his heir couldn't do so nowdays.

LaRae
Old 09-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Personally I'm proud that Wills does the job he does. Its his "normal"
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Gentry

Prince Harry to Begin Apache Attack Helicopter Training in Afghanistan : People.com
Old 09-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Oh I know...but I see no reason the POW (when he was younger) or his heir couldn't do so nowdays.

LaRae
These days we prefer that the direct heirs to the throne do not get killed in battle. No one seems to have a problem with that in the UK. If people think Harry is a target it seems logical that the heir would be an even more valuable target for the Taliban.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Harry: Taliban threat to kidnap or kill him | Mail Online

Reports are circulating about the Taliban's threat against Harry.

It is a reminder to keep the safety and well-being of all the troops in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Prince Harry: Taliban threat to kidnap or kill him | Mail Online

Reports are circulating about the Taliban's threat against Harry.

It is a reminder to keep the safety and well-being of all the troops in our thoughts and prayers.
I am sure they knew this would happen in already planned for it.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Serene Highness

I would hope that everyone knows how dangerous this could be for Harry. Im hoping all precautions are being taken to keep him safe. No matter what he has done he is still a Prince of England and needs to be protected. I dont trust the taliban, they are extremely sneaky and will do whatever they can to execute and complete their mission. I hope this is being taken very seriously. May the angels surround Harry while he is there.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
I would hope that everyone knows how dangerous this could be for Harry. Im hoping all precautions are being taken to keep him safe. No matter what he has done he is still a Prince of England and needs to be protected. I dont trust the taliban, they are extremely sneaky and will do whatever they can to execute and complete their mission. I hope this is being taken very seriously. May the angels surround Harry while he is there.
I am pretty sure that people down there are very concerned about security. Not only for Harry, but also for all the others. Remember the decision of Mid-August that forces are to wear weapons around the clock. Even on allegedly secure bases.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Commoner

it just not a concern for harry its a concern for all of them. but i think they may have prepared for something like this anyway
Old 09-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Taliban want to kill every ISAF soldier in Afghanistan, whether they're the grandson of the British Queen or not.

Sir Richard Dannatt (former Chief of the General Staff) said on the news the other day that the 2 seats seats in an Apache are considered the safest seats in Afghanistan. Obviously you could never say that Harry's completely safe, this IS Afghanistan we're talking about. Ultimately, though, he's in less danger this time than he was during his first tour when he was actually on the front line heading out on patrol on foot.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
These days we prefer that the direct heirs to the throne do not get killed in battle. No one seems to have a problem with that in the UK. If people think Harry is a target it seems logical that the heir would be an even more valuable target for the Taliban.

He's no more important than any other Brit fighting on behalf of their country. No matter what 'we' prefer it should be his decision. As I understand it he wasn't even allowed to make that choice.

LaRae
Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Heir Apparent

The taliban, as an underdog, looks for high pr targets (the World Trade Towers).
Popular, beautiful, P Diana's son, Prince Harry is perfect for them.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well I hope he stays safe and no harm comes to him and the rest of his squad.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

good luck and take care harry in afganistan!
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 09-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak
Pentagon sources say there has been an attack on Camp Bastion in Afghanistan, injuries reported
In light of all that is going on over there, will they pull Harry from Afghanistan? I hope he and the rest of the men remain safe.

Closed Thread