Prince Harry Current Events 26: January 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience, a lot of service personnel will tell you that 'doing it for their country' is considerably lower on their list of reasons why they do what they choose to do. Most will tell you that it's the bond that builds between their comrades in arms that's uppermost in their minds. In battle, troops will always say they are fighting for their mates before Queen and country.

I personally think that's why Harry's been so desperate to get back. He's seen his brothers in arms go off and put their lives on the line, and sometimes make the ultimate sacrifice, yet he hasn't been able to be out there helping them.

Here there are, IME, 3 or 4 main reasons....service to country/patriotism, a good career, to aid others being oppressed and some guys just like war and all the stuff that goes with it.

After 9/11 there were those who joined just so they could 'punish' the terrorists. Probably not unlike how it was after Pearl Harbor.

The brothers in arms reason doesn't really factor in until after they have gotten thru basic training and into a set unit and they start bonding with each other. Then they fight for each other as well.

LaRae

Here there are, IME, 3 or 4 main reasons....service to country/patriotism, a good career, to aid others being oppressed and some guys just like war and all the stuff that goes with it.

After 9/11 there were those who joined just so they could 'punish' the terrorists. Probably not unlike how it was after Pearl Harbor.

The brothers in arms reason doesn't really factor in until after they have gotten thru basic training and into a set unit and they start bonding with each other. Then they fight for each other as well.

LaRae

I grew up in the 60s with the "hell no... we won't go" protests and guys I knew went to Viet Nam because they were drafted. Each soldier that I know that went at that time had different outlooks and different experiences. One came home to fight against Agent Orange whereas the other couldn't brag enough and show pictures of the Charlies he'd killed while another was a special ops and was greeted at the airport with being egged. They both suffered from PSTD in their own way and at that time, no one really knew how to deal with it.

I've never been in the service nor can I begin to assume what each soldier goes though or how military life affects them. I do know that after the first Desert Storm, the attitude quickly switched to "I'm going". We all have a basic instinct I think to want to right wrongs and these kind of situations bring out the best (and perhaps sometimes... the worse) in us.

A friend of mine lost her husband a few years ago in Afghanistan. They were a family that adopted and fostered many special needs children. To this day, his boots are still parked under his side of the bed. There's a bazillion stories.

Harry has wanted to be military since he was a small child from what I read. Its been a goal of his and he's done whatever he could to make that a reality. He's really gone above and beyond what is expected of a royal in military duty. He's there because he wants to be and trained because that is what he wants to do.

Have ya'll see the pic of Harry when he was probably about 5 or 6 in the tank with the helmet on? Doesn't surprise me that Harry is in service, hopefully he can make a career of it....and I think if William wasn't who he is he would of been able fight overseas as well...no way they will let him, a shame really. Kings of GB have fought while King in the past.

I'm the wife of a service member, daughter of a service member and mother of a service member....our son started out young like Harry, wanting to serve and so he is.

LaRae

Kings of GB have fought while King in the past.

LaRae

Well not for a very very long time. George II in 1743 was the last monarch to lead his troops in battle.

Oh I know...but I see no reason the POW (when he was younger) or his heir couldn't do so nowdays.

LaRae

Personally I'm proud that Wills does the job he does. Its his "normal"

Oh I know...but I see no reason the POW (when he was younger) or his heir couldn't do so nowdays.

LaRae

These days we prefer that the direct heirs to the throne do not get killed in battle. No one seems to have a problem with that in the UK. If people think Harry is a target it seems logical that the heir would be an even more valuable target for the Taliban.

I would hope that everyone knows how dangerous this could be for Harry. Im hoping all precautions are being taken to keep him safe. No matter what he has done he is still a Prince of England and needs to be protected. I dont trust the taliban, they are extremely sneaky and will do whatever they can to execute and complete their mission. I hope this is being taken very seriously. May the angels surround Harry while he is there.

I would hope that everyone knows how dangerous this could be for Harry. Im hoping all precautions are being taken to keep him safe. No matter what he has done he is still a Prince of England and needs to be protected. I dont trust the taliban, they are extremely sneaky and will do whatever they can to execute and complete their mission. I hope this is being taken very seriously. May the angels surround Harry while he is there.

I am pretty sure that people down there are very concerned about security. Not only for Harry, but also for all the others. Remember the decision of Mid-August that forces are to wear weapons around the clock. Even on allegedly secure bases.

it just not a concern for harry its a concern for all of them. but i think they may have prepared for something like this anyway

The Taliban want to kill every ISAF soldier in Afghanistan, whether they're the grandson of the British Queen or not.

Sir Richard Dannatt (former Chief of the General Staff) said on the news the other day that the 2 seats seats in an Apache are considered the safest seats in Afghanistan. Obviously you could never say that Harry's completely safe, this IS Afghanistan we're talking about. Ultimately, though, he's in less danger this time than he was during his first tour when he was actually on the front line heading out on patrol on foot.

These days we prefer that the direct heirs to the throne do not get killed in battle. No one seems to have a problem with that in the UK. If people think Harry is a target it seems logical that the heir would be an even more valuable target for the Taliban.

He's no more important than any other Brit fighting on behalf of their country. No matter what 'we' prefer it should be his decision. As I understand it he wasn't even allowed to make that choice.

LaRae

The taliban, as an underdog, looks for high pr targets (the World Trade Towers).
Popular, beautiful, P Diana's son, Prince Harry is perfect for them.

Well I hope he stays safe and no harm comes to him and the rest of his squad.

good luck and take care harry in afganistan!

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak
Pentagon sources say there has been an attack on Camp Bastion in Afghanistan, injuries reported

In light of all that is going on over there, will they pull Harry from Afghanistan? I hope he and the rest of the men remain safe.

Last edited:
In light of all that is going on over there, will they pull Harry from Afghanistan? I hope he and the rest of the men remain safe.

i also hope eveyone stays safe.

Sad. Hope they will now find a way to keep all the troops safe

this is shocking news. i wonder if they have evacuated harry for his safety and specially his mates' now that the talibans have announced he was the target.
i feel sorry for the dead soldiers.

carlota said:
this is shocking news. i wonder if they have evacuated harry for his safety and specially his mates' now that the talibans have announced he was the target.
i feel sorry for the dead soldiers.

They shouldn't evacuate him, he knows he's a target, everyone knows. He wants to be treated like a normal soldier.

I agree, I am sure he will fight that. He wants to be with his brothers.

LaRae

They shouldn't evacuate him, he knows he's a target, everyone knows. He wants to be treated like a normal soldier.

Yes, but it's not really to do with his safety... two soldiers are now dead in what appears to be an attempt on Harry's life. It would perhaps be unfair and very upsetting to Harry to have to leave, but if fellow solders are dying because his presence is actually causing attacks* where they would not otherwise occur he needs to leave.

Harry is obviously prepared to face the extreme additional threat to his safety, but it is unconscionable that others should become direct casualties in the determination to make Prince Harry "just a normal soldier."

*According to reports a Taliban spokesman has named Harry's presence as the reason this base was attacked.

So awful to hear about the two soldiers killed in the attack.

Yes, but it's not really to do with his safety... two soldiers are now dead in what appears to be an attempt on Harry's life. It would perhaps be unfair and very upsetting to Harry to have to leave, but if fellow solders are dying because his presence is actually causing attacks* where they would not otherwise occur he needs to leave.

Harry is obviously prepared to face the extreme additional threat to his safety, but it is unconscionable that others should become direct casualties in the determination to make Prince Harry "just a normal soldier."

*According to reports a Taliban spokesman has named Harry's presence as the reason this base was attacked.

I completely understand your POV. However, the two are dead because some people believe violence will win the cause.

In the same way that the Taliban target politicians, liberal leaders, women trying to get an education, higher ranking officers, the police, then by your logic, we should eliminate all these targets. There should be no free speech because it is not worth the cost.

Harry was the excuse they used - they targeted the US side of the base, not the side Harry was on. By saying they targeted Harry, they stir the pot and get additional publicity. These two soldiers died for their country - not because Harry was on the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom