Prince Harry Current Events 26: January 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am proud of Harry and happy that he is fulfilling his wish to serve in Afghanistan again.

However, I am also concerned for him and his comrades. Now that the world knows he is in Afghanistan, the Taliban will be targeting him and Harry and the others are in real danger now. I know a blackout could not be possible again, but I am worried.

Stay safe, Harry and God bless you!

I am proud of Harry and happy that he is fulfilling his wish to serve in Afghanistan again.

However, I am also concerned for him and his comrades. Now that the world knows he is in Afghanistan, the Taliban will be targeting him and Harry and the others are in real danger now. I know a blackout could not be possible again, but I am worried.

Stay safe, Harry and God bless you!

The Ministry of Defence undertook a risk assessment when they were deciding whether Harry should go to Afghan, and also whether they should be open about it or try to impose a media blackout.

They've decided that British personnel are already in huge danger from the Taliban, Harry or no Harry. Harry will pilot an Apache and the British have never had one of their Apache's shot down. When not on operations, Harry will be in Camp Bastion, which is probably the safest place in Aghan.

All in all, I don't think Harry's presence will lead to a significantly increased risk for the British troops. If anything, his service will probably boost morale among the British forces which has been waning as a result of MoD cuts and job losses.

Good luck to Harry and his team! I hope they all stay safe.

The best of luck to Harry and every single soldier who is on the frontline.
May you all return safe and sound.

Damn, he looks fine in his military outfit.

That said, the best of luck to him and all the men and women out on the front line.

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal Captain #Harry Wales' duties will include carrying troops or equipment to targeting Taliban Fighters who've attacked ground troops

#royal Prince #Harry will spend 10 days honing his skills before going out on operations in his role as co-pilot gunner

#royal #Prince Harry will be the one firing the weapons including Hellfire Missiles - he's likely to have taken lives by the end of his tour

I wish Harry and his fellow soldiers all the best and hope everyone comes back safely.

I salute Harry and all our men and women in uniform who are serving our countries in harms way. I just hope they return safely.

Well, it didn't take long for threats to surface... :ermm:

Taliban to C4N on Harry:
"Its good news as we always search for such precious birds. Our priority will be to kidnap him at any cost. We'd like to eliminate him through Afghan friends working with British troops. We will kidnap him we have our informers at the military base being used by the British troops here in Helmand."

(courtesy of @bendepear)

Well, it didn't take long for threats to surface... :ermm:

Taliban to C4N on Harry:

(courtesy of @bendepear)

To be honest, I'd have been surprised had they not come out with this sort of bluster. They know Harry's not going to be on the ground; that he's going to be in an Apache which the Taliban have never managed to shoot down. He's going to be almost impossible for them to target.

If anything, Harry's biggest threat comes from inside Camp Bastion, where there was an attempted suicide bombing to coincide with a visit from the US Defence Secretary. That was one of a number of so-called 'blue on blue' attacks - members of the Afghan Army or Police Force turning on the ISAF troops who have been training them. As a result of that particular incident, British troops are now armed at all times, even inside Camp Bastion.

I hope no-one is stupid enough to suggest that this deployment was designed to counter the Las Vegas story. This deployment is, literally, years in the making.

Military is very good at strategy. My thoughts are perhaps that they are telling us that Harry is at Bastion whereas in reality he could be somewhere else. Pulling in threats and Taliban's attention to Bastion could be part of a intelligence operation for all we know. Personally, I think any threat made by the Taliban kind of ranks right up there with Saddam Hussein's boast that his troop would give us "the mother of all battles". Not taking the Taliban lightly here but I think the MoD and intelligence know exactly what they are doing in this regard.

I hope no-one is stupid enough to suggest that this deployment was designed to counter the Las Vegas story. This deployment is, literally, years in the making.

I don't really think any of us could do that. We've known for a long time that this was in the works and this is why Harry trained as an Apache pilot to begin with. However, on the lighter side, Mr. Remote saw the news on CNN this morning and joked "Is this the Queen's way of telling him she was not amused by LV? She told him "Harry, if you want to be naked, do it in Afghanistan in the hot desert and really get that all over tan. Your rear end was really quite pasty".

I wish them all a safe and happy return home. Henry and all other troops are doing a very noble thing for their nations and the rest of the world.

I will say a prayer for Prince Harry and anyone else involved in Afghanistan. I hope that people in England are praying for Prince Harry to complete his mission, keep him safe and return home safely. The same prayer should also be said to all those serving in Afghanistan whether they be British, American or whatever. They are to be commended.

Afghanistan is a very dangerous place and sometimes it's hard to know who to trust.

To be honest, I'd have been surprised had they not come out with this sort of bluster. They know Harry's not going to be on the ground; that he's going to be in an Apache which the Taliban have never managed to shoot down. He's going to be almost impossible for them to target.
Absolutely pro forma response from the "Taliban" and I am sure nobody expected anything different.

If anything, Harry's biggest threat comes from inside Camp Bastion, where there was an attempted suicide bombing to coincide with a visit from the US Defence Secretary. That was one of a number of so-called 'blue on blue' attacks - members of the Afghan Army or Police Force turning on the ISAF troops who have been training them. As a result of that particular incident, British troops are now armed at all times, even inside Camp Bastion.
Unfortunately you are correct an it's a pretty sad situation and one that is on the hearts and in the minds of all who have loved ones there at Camp Bastian and elsewhere in Afghanistan.

Well there are those that say "do not borrow trouble" but, in this case, I think you are correct. There will definitely be those who say that and that he is endangering others with his presence. Dumb but inevitable.

Why am I not surprised that all the moralising, hypercritical posters who spent days preaching about Harry's delinquency are so far nowhere to be seen on this thread?

Maybe they could tell us how the 'alcoholic' Prince Harry is going to manage 4 months in Camp Bastion which is completely dry - i.e. no alcohol available at all.

I really don't care what Prince Harry does in his private life, he is a single 28(almost) man who enjoys female company and likes to party, just like every other red blooded male with two legs. So he was born a Prince, that doesn't mean he isn't human plus he lost his mother at a very vulnerable age and although Prince Charles probably tried to be the best father in the world, he was still a part of the old royal tradition and he was not there a lot due to his committment as PoW. Not saying he didnt love his sons, just don't think he could fill the void. I think it would be very hard to always being called the "spare"-I am proud of Harry for the service to his Country, I think he takes it very seriously, I pray for his safe return!!

LOL Oh Ye of Little Faith. Of course some people would be stupid enough to say that. In fact TMZ did exactly that. They were reporting that HM was so pissed off about Harry's Vegas antics that she ordered his immediate transport to Afghanistan as punishment. :eek:Then they got all self righteous about how unfair this was since he was only having a bit a fun in Vegas and how the Brits over reacted to the whole story. Earlier they had reported that there were demands in the UK to remove him from the line of succession. Nice to know there are such reliable media outlets making sure the American public are kept well informed with well researched facts.:bang:

Why am I not surprised that all the moralising, hypercritical posters who spent days preaching about Harry's delinquency are so far nowhere to be seen on this thread?

Maybe they could tell us how the 'alcoholic' Prince Harry is going to manage 4 months in Camp Bastion which is completely dry - i.e. no alcohol available at all.

It just makes me admire him all the more. Sometimes, Harry seems to me to swing between cheeky and brave; between upright and and giving a nod and a wink. He always make me smile - even as I say to myself "oh, Harry..."
Clearly, he is a good "mate" as his friends and exes stand behind him.
Let's all hope he and his team and the teams he serves with continue the excellent safety record associated with the Apache in Afghanistan.
As to alcohol - where there are troops, there will be alcohol - one way or another. :whistling:

As for any soldier, I'm afraid of Prince Harry's soul. Maybe that's because I'm German and we learned from our forefathers and one way or the other that war leads to suffering. He might have already killed for "queen and country" in his first deployment but he will have in any case when he's coming back after this stint. No matter how good the reasons and how valuable the aim, on killing other humans on purpose, even if it happens on command, the soldier crosses a line. He took human life. That's an experience he won't be able to share with his brother William who is only ever active to rescue people no matter what they did. Because they are humans and in danger. Okay, Harry does his mission as well to help people in danger. But other than William he has to tally for himself. If it is okay with him to simply follow orders, good for him. If he believes the gain is higher than the body count, okay. But what if he figues one day that no matter how good the aim, the deeds done for it can be evil? That would be very, very bad. And it would be sad, because other than many, many soldiers, Harry never had any need to become a soldier.

Sorry, just some private ramblings on a sunny morning in the mountains of Bavaria, where no sould wants to believe howdifferent life can be in different mountains. :flowers:

Although I'd rather see wars that bomb each other with crayons and then they all sit down and color together and eat cookies and milk, the real world isn't like that. The reality is that war kills and there are casualties on both sides and each have their reasons why its necessary. With Harry being trained in the military for so many years, I think what will get him through this stint in Afghanistan is that if the situation arises that he knows he needs to take a human life, its a scenario where its kill or be killed. Self survival kicks in. I think this is why so many returning soldiers suffer PTSD when they re-enter civilian life.

We all really owe a lot of debt and gratitude for those fighting on the front lines to serve and protect what we all hold near and dear in our lives...our freedom and way of life. Our troops on the front lines aren't there because they hate what is in front of them but because they love what is behind them.

Give 'em hell Harry!

Osipi said:
...Our troops on the front lines aren't there because they hate what is in front of them but because they love what is behind them.!

That is a great saying!!

Agreed! Best of luck to Harry and all the troops.

IM glad he got to go back. he always wanted to

As for any soldier, I'm afraid of Prince Harry's soul. Maybe that's because I'm German and we learned from our forefathers and one way or the other that war leads to suffering. He might have already killed for "queen and country" in his first deployment but he will have in any case when he's coming back after this stint. No matter how good the reasons and how valuable the aim, on killing other humans on purpose, even if it happens on command, the soldier crosses a line. He took human life. That's an experience he won't be able to share with his brother William who is only ever active to rescue people no matter what they did. Because they are humans and in danger. Okay, Harry does his mission as well to help people in danger. But other than William he has to tally for himself. If it is okay with him to simply follow orders, good for him. If he believes the gain is higher than the body count, okay. But what if he figues one day that no matter how good the aim, the deeds done for it can be evil? That would be very, very bad. And it would be sad, because other than many, many soldiers, Harry never had any need to become a soldier.

Sorry, just some private ramblings on a sunny morning in the mountains of Bavaria, where no sould wants to believe how different life can be in different mountains. :flowers:

The issue of the effect of military service on a person's morality is such an interesting one. We had a short summer "reality show" in the States called STARS EARN STRIPES. It got a lot of bad press for glorifying and publicizing the role of special ops in the military. But it was interesting to watch.
It paired stars like skier Picabo Street and Dean Cain (he played Superman on TV) with highly trained military and police operatives (Navy Seals, Snipers, SWAT team members) and had them accomplish simulated rescue and special ops missions.
One of the shocks for me about the program was how calm, focused and team oriented the the military/police folk were. When asked about killing, they replied that they have a code of conduct that keeps them from talking about missions. And they were referring not only to the secret nature of their business but to a code that downplayed bragging.
They were polite, self effacing and completely focused on training their star partner and keeping everyone safe (there were a lot of stunt explosions, low flying helicopters, fires, water and high elevation work, live ammo etc. on the show). Though trained for different military and police forces, when teamed up, they worked together seamlessly. These were not heroes with a capital H - but very unassuming people doing a job.
Stars on the show were uniform in tipping their hats to their less assuming partners.
I walked away with a better understanding or how, say, a sniper could make a moral choice about how his work affected who he was as a person (or not). Life gives one lessons, but the choice remains in what one learns and how one deals.

Servicemen and women don't really put their lives on the line for their country, their head of state, their superiors or for any sort of ideology. They put their lives on the line for their fellow men and women in uniform. So when Prince Harry pulls the trigger on his Apache attack helicopter, he's not doing it to kill someone for the sake of it, he's doing it to try and protect his comrades in arms and to prevent further and greater loss of life.

Harry wouldn't be sitting in that seat if his commanding officers didn't think he could deal with the mental side of things. Thankfully, the British armed forces are improving all the time with their support for the psychological and emotional well-being of those who serve on the front line.

I have alot of family that are currently service members (and some retired from service), they do put their lives (here in the U.S. anyway) on the line for their country, to help others and of course for each other.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom